Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adora Lipwig posted:

Question:

I just got my Miata back after it had been in the shop for a month. Since half of my car is new, I'd love to replace my blown out Bose speakers. Since I'm your stereotypical girl who doesn't know about cars and other technology, I went to Best Buy for help but they didn't have any speakers that would work with my car.

My car is a 2003 LS. Does anyone here know what speakers (and/or subwoofer (?)) I could use for it? I don't really want to get the same exact speakers since Bose is kind of crappy and my newer stereo blew them out pretty quickly...

Yeah, that's the problem. Bose uses weird impedances on their speakers/receiver. To replace your blown out speakers, you need to rip out all of the speakers and the Bose receiver/amp.. but it already sounds like you have a replacement head unit.

You might have more luck checking out mnet and looking around their docs/forum for swapping Bose stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

ursa_minor posted:

Some people. Man, I'm sorry this happened to you. I would have liked to have caught the fucker in the act. Did you piss someone off? Or was this at random? I usually don't get violently upset about things, especially regarding material goods - but I know for goddamned certain that I'd go full on Brock Sampson on someone like this.

I know exactly who did it, it was someone who lost their job as a result of calling in sick to go to a car show, because when I had to go in on my day off to cover him I said "He's not sick, He's at the car show." He was shopping and heard me talking about how it was almost my last day, when I got out at the end of my shift and there it was.

To give you an idea of the person in question: My opinion of him didn't change after the fact, because it already couldn't get any lower.

I'm glad I didn't catch him doing it because I would probably be in jail if I did.

ursa_minor
Oct 17, 2006

I'm hella in tents.
Uh oh.
So, my rear wheel bearings are most definitely shot, and I'm gonna have to replace them alone.
Have any of you guys done this yet? I absolutely do not have the money to take it to a shop, so I'm going to learn more about working on cars simply because I have to.

Any advice regarding the puller? Are there any more special tools that I will need for this? Luckily the internet is rife with pretty good instructions regarding this, but I want to hear about your experience, any problems, etc.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

ursa_minor posted:

Uh oh.
So, my rear wheel bearings are most definitely shot, and I'm gonna have to replace them alone.
Have any of you guys done this yet? I absolutely do not have the money to take it to a shop, so I'm going to learn more about working on cars simply because I have to.

Any advice regarding the puller? Are there any more special tools that I will need for this? Luckily the internet is rife with pretty good instructions regarding this, but I want to hear about your experience, any problems, etc.

Asked this same question a couple of weeks ago and didn't really get an answer. The job definitely looks easy.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
an anime appears

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone posted:

an anime appears
Don't be mad because you're not cool enough to be in Club NA :whatup:

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
One would think that with all the time they spent creating that monstrosity, they would at least vacuum out the drat car before taking pictures.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's a pretty stupid question, but how the gently caress do I replace the headlight bulb on my 2003 NB?

Neither the booklet that came with the car nor the workshop manual I got match what I actually have. This is the replacement assembly from the kit that was in the car, the actual part looks similar but I think the bulb has a slightly different shape (and has some crap smeared on top of it):

There's nothing to unclip, and I can't remove the bulb from that thing. The installed part has the wires going directly into the opening seen on the bottom right here, and they don't seem to be eager to be removed.

Well gently caress me, this was solved by applying some more brute force to the wires. I just expected something to unclip properly like the part apparently is supposed to.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 8, 2011

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I hope the switches on the console are for hydraulics

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So I did my timing belt/waterpump today, which actually went really well. I also cleaned out the intake manifold, which had a pretty significant buildup of oil/egr stuff I think - is this something to be concerned about? A friend is recommending shorter oil change intervals to prevent buildup in the future, but that doesn't really make sense to me. From my understanding oil gets into the intake from piston ring blow by and through the PCV valve.

Currently I'm doing oil changes every 5,000km's with full synthetic, but I have no idea what the previous owner did and when I changed the oil it was about as black as could be.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I admire you if you took the intake manifold off on a whim, because those bolts on the bottom are possibly the most pain in the dick thing on the entire car.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Piano posted:

I admire you if you took the intake manifold off on a whim, because those bolts on the bottom are possibly the most pain in the dick thing on the entire car.

Na, I had a P0402 (EGR issues) come up a while ago. I cleared the code and it didn't come back, but it was beautiful out today and I didn't mind fighting with it too much. I followed the guide on miata.net for the top half, and mine was dirtier than his so I decided to take the bottom off as well. It was evil. I think the bottom bolts were more difficult than the whole timing belt procedure. I used the factory service manual for the bottom.

At any rate, it revs smoother and doesn't idle drop at all anymore, so woohoo?

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Today it rained significantly for the first time in months. I'm amazed at how well the Dunlop Star Specs handle. The car refused to break loose in anything but first gear.

On the other hand, my brakes hardly felt like they were there once the rotors got wet. I'm almost positive my master cylinder is the biggest problem, followed by my pads. (I bled the brakes a few weeks ago.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last weekend: oil pump bolt ruining my valve cover, timing belt, and timing belt cover
This weekend: seized driver's side rear caliper
Next weekend: Track day 3 hours away from home

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Love me some crazy japanes-eys.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I believe I have a bad rear wheel bearing. I haven't diagnosed it 100% yet, but does anybody have any idea what I should expect to pay to get it fixed? It's a 94 with 94k miles. I'd do it myself (never went to a shop for anything, hence the question) but where I live now I have no garage and am not allowed to do car work.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Pulled into my driveway only to have my radiator start dumping steam everywhere. Small puddle, reservoir empty, pressure cap still on, but a good spout of steam and whistling coming from behind the passenger side radiator fan.

Good stuff! Ordered a mishimoto and a hose kit. Just two weeks after I paid for a coolant flush.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 11, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

First Time Caller posted:

Pulled into my driveway only to have my radiator start dumping steam everywhere. Small puddle, reservoir empty, pressure cap still on, but a good spout of steam and whistling coming from behind the passenger side radiator fan.

Good stuff! Ordered a mishimoto and a hose kit. Just two weeks after I paid for a coolant flush.
Cancel it and buy the eBay Aeon, you probably don't need it.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I was wondering why my clutch engagement point was feeling off.

:ms:

I guess it's time to change the master and slave cylinders. The master cylinder was full a couple of days ago.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
It's probably only the slave. They go bad all the time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would do them both, then you only bleed it once. I had a slave fail first, and then when it acted up again I replaced the slave again without checking to see if it was the master.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DreamOn13 posted:

I believe I have a bad rear wheel bearing. I haven't diagnosed it 100% yet, but does anybody have any idea what I should expect to pay to get it fixed? It's a 94 with 94k miles. I'd do it myself (never went to a shop for anything, hence the question) but where I live now I have no garage and am not allowed to do car work.

Check your lug nuts for tightness, folks. :doh:

Not sure how they came loose after I've driven on them for about 6 months. I'm just glad it was a simple solution. Also over the phone a shop said $250-300 or so. Man, that poo poo's ridiculous. I need to get a garage/house ASAP.

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
I ordered a new clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, brake master cylinder, and heater core hoses. Right now I'm losing clutch fluid fast enough that I need to refil it every day. The coolant leak is enough that it empties the resivior daily. The brakes just plain suck and I'm hoping the new master cylinder improves them a bit.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
you probably shouldn't be driving this car :psyduck:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Funny this should come up.

I am in the middle of changing my slave. I parked the car for 4 weeks, came back and found I had no clutch pressure.

I just assumed I needed a slave, but I have lost no fluid.
The new one is on, but I am unable to to bleed it. No fluid is coming out. I even built a pressure bleeder with my shop-vac and I am getting nothing.

Any idea why I am not able to bleed the system?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Almost-insulting question, but did you unscrew the nipple?

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

destructo posted:

Almost-insulting question, but did you unscrew the nipple?

Fair question, I have done dumber things. But yes, I did.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Take the cap off the master?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
The master could be dead too, y'know.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
This is what happened to me after I first bought the car. Clutch started acting screwy, so I replaced the slave. When I bled it, it never got better, so I replaced the master. Good as new.

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Slave cylinders are common issues on Miatas. I've gonna through I think 4-5 of them so far myself, including 2 masters.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
Well, are these really symptoms of a master though? I tried the turkey baster method and I cannot seem to push anything in the reservoir. Seems more like a jam, especially since I am not leaking any fluid.
Or am I totally off here?

Edit: Pulled apart the master and the seals looked good to me. The return might have been a bit slow, but not horribly off. I am stumped.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 17, 2011

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Man I miss the 90s sometimes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I reset the local odometer when I filled up earlier in the day.

Post your best MPGs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Anyone have experience with Carbotech AX6's?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phone posted:

I reset the local odometer when I filled up earlier in the day.

Post your best MPGs

~10mpg? What the gently caress? Are you running a turbo or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The first couple months of summer when I bought my stock 95M originally, I was getting about 18-19mpg. Yeah, I was having a blast driving the snot out of that car. As the old saying goes, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Wasn't any mechanical problems though, as once I mellowed out a little bit I was getting like 24 mixed, and even that was still driving it pretty hard. Even on a "calm" day I was typically shifting at nearly 5k rpm. Anything less felt like short shifting.

But 10mpg, that's impressive. I assume there's a sizable turbo in there?