Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
played my first 11 a side match in like a loving decade today, I managed to score a goal, but I realized pretty quickly I hate everybody. We had 3 problems, first the other team plays together like 3 times a week and our team never played together. Second, our keeper decided to play poo poo long balls to the center of the field (which was totally controlled by the opposition) instead of passing short or to the wings. Third, there was one fat dude who was convinced he was (a poo poo) Ronaldinho (who hated passing)-he would try to flair past players and lose the ball, beat fit players for pace and lose the ball, and he was allergic to passing.

Anyway, I hated that guy. I was on the right wing, totally unmarked, and instead of putting it out to me he'd decide to run through 4 people through the middle. Consistently. Guy was poo poo and I hate him. Good thing it was just an open game and I don't have to deal with him weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scored from outside of the box the other night. From a header. I might as well retire now, I'll never top that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Loving this scorchio weather we're having this week. Playing 5 a side tonight with mates tonight and a 5 a side league match tomorrow evening. :getin:

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh

pintxo posted:

My soccer league starts soon

I'm kind of poo poo, but I've been doing lots of cardio :)

post-match update

My dribbling is still poo poo, but I can pick out passes pretty well, and my conditioning and positioning are getting better. :cheers:

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Had a game today where I had three clear cut chances to score and goal and I couldn't do poo poo. In the first half I hit the post after a throw in after on a corner I completely whiff the ball on a open net, finally in the last ten minutes I miss another open net after a challenge by the goalie rebounds right to me.

Normally I would play in defense but lately I have been playing on the wings doing really getting some good runs in but today was absolutely frustrating for me.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tiger Crazy posted:

Had a game today where I had three clear cut chances to score and goal and I couldn't do poo poo. In the first half I hit the post after a throw in after on a corner I completely whiff the ball on a open net, finally in the last ten minutes I miss another open net after a challenge by the goalie rebounds right to me.

Normally I would play in defense but lately I have been playing on the wings doing really getting some good runs in but today was absolutely frustrating for me.

T...Torres?

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

We won! 3-2! With a goal in the last minute! Against a team that, like us, had 0 points going into this match!

Wasn't very convincing but it gave us something to build on. We had 2 clear penalty shouts turned down so I don't feel bad about the luck goal at the end. I had to fill in at right back and won more headers than I ever have in one match, including 2 in the 6 yard box that were certain goals if I didn't make them plus a goal line clearance.

Best one though was heading clear only to get wiped out by the striker behind me, he banged my head hard enough to give me a nosebleed and from where I was lying I could only see our keeper making two fantastic saves to keep us in the match.

It was a really scrappy win but it felt absolutely brilliant.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.
Lost a game 2-0 to some jammy loving goals. Some guy came in late with a diving header into the side of my face. I saw stars, but hey, kept playing. We had so many missed chances.

Team name? The Gooners.

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
Shoe review: I ordered a pair of Adidas Top Sala Xs from the US because they came in under the price of most other shoes (even the cheapest, shittiest Pumas) offered within Australia. The rubber mesh which surrounds either side of the toe cap ended up tearing within my first game. It began as a small flap lifting off the instep and I hoped it would halt, but it has gradually grown out to about an inch squared. Since then several other tears have appeared in the mesh, instep and outstep(?) on both shoes. Even though I'm largely right-footed, it's the left shoe with the biggest tear and, without the rubberised mesh covering the under-layer, it has quickly worn through and I can now see a little bit of my sock. I tried to exchange them early on through the Australiasia Adidas arm but they don't recognise warranties for shoes bought internationally. Anyway, it's now three months on, two games a week, and while they are still fairly sound overall I would like them not to have tears developing all over them so soon.

Where the mesh remained held down to the shoe, everything is fine, so it seems to offer a large amount of protection where it works. The shoe is also otherwise well constructed. Having a look online it seems there are a variety of models, one without the rubber mesh; maybe they recognised the flaw and re-released the shoe with less mesh, but no reviews appear to mention this. On the plus side it's light, protective, and offers a good touch, but the short-term durability for what should be a high-end shoe is a little suspect.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Scored three owns goal tonight :negative:

derpachief
Oct 13, 2011

euroboy posted:

Scored three owns goal tonight :negative:

Yeah but were they good own goals?

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

derpachief posted:

Yeah but were they good own goals?

No, they were all poo poo. All three were hard, low crosses that hit me in the knee and shoulder and the last one hit my hand but everyone was too busy laughing to notice it. Then I tried to make up for it by running a lot and then I got tired and I couldn't do anything.

I once scored quite a spectacular own goal on a half volley from 25 meters, possibly the best goal I've ever scored. Such a shame they all fly miles off target when I try to put them in the right goal from that distance.

derpachief
Oct 13, 2011

euroboy posted:

No, they were all poo poo. All three were hard, low crosses that hit me in the knee and shoulder and the last one hit my hand but everyone was too busy laughing to notice it. Then I tried to make up for it by running a lot and then I got tired and I couldn't do anything.

I once scored quite a spectacular own goal on a half volley from 25 meters, possibly the best goal I've ever scored. Such a shame they all fly miles off target when I try to put them in the right goal from that distance.

I scored a few own goals similar to that when I played football as a kid, always felt so bloody useless after it happened and did exactly the same, tried to make myself look like a total workhorse afterwards and just knackered myself so I was even more useless

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
The key after getting an own goal is surely to get yourself a red card, it doesn't redeem you but if you do it right it will change talking points after the game. (experience)

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Playing futsal, I passed the ball back to the keeper from a kick-in without checking where he was standing. I assumed he would be in the D but he had wandered out. The ball rolled right into the goal. The laws say a goal can't be scored directly from a kick-in, I've never interpreted that as denying own goals as well. If you get it in your net from a kick-in that seems like something you deserve. Anyway, it was embarrassing but the ref called for a goal clearance.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
What the gently caress is a kick in

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Ninpo posted:

Futsal.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Ninpo posted:

insert rooney joke here

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Like a throw-in but with your feet

[edit] i just realised the ref should have awarded a corner, but i guess everyone got carried away in the moment

Esposito fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 14, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

euroboy posted:

Futsal.

Oh, five-a-side.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Oh wow look at this thread.

Anyway, I mostly play 5-a-side at Powerleague nowadays, no league stuff, just casual. I'd been meaning to play at the Old Street Powerleague in London and went there for the first time this week. It's 4-a-side and the pitches are really narrow, plus a net overhead means the ball can't go too far over 2 metres high. It's a pretty long and narrow pitch because the pitches are built into old brick railway arches, which is pretty cool but holy crap does it get hot down there.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I played my first game of 11 a side for 10 years at the start of this summer, and was desperate to make an impression as a striker with my new team

I managed to score an own goal from around 40 yards out by a freak accident (was chasing their winger as he ran over the halfway line, caught up with him and just hammered the ball anywhere away from him - anywhere turned out to be right in the top corner of our goal)

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeeeess. Finally won a game with my work five-a-side team. Started off playing 4-on-5 until we got a ringer to join in, won 6-4.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Scored my first two goals ever in indoor/futsal tonight. Pretty proud of myself considering I'm still getting over a cold and I'm playing against people way better/more experienced than me. They were poo poo goals, but I'm definitely improving... here is a big secret I discovered in that regard:

Play/practice every day.

Shhh... don't tell anyone my special training regimen!

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Hey guys, need some gear advice. Been playing a weekly evening outdoor pickup game with a few folks. I'd like to pick up a decent ball for it as we've been using some crappy Adidas Glider balls. It'd also be used for a coed indoor team we're trying to get together.

Right now I'm looking at the following:

Brine Championship

Select Royale

Any others in that price range I should look at? I can get the Select Royale in White/Yellow for $32, which seems like a really good deal.

Any suggestions for ball colors for when it gets dark? Out here in the Pacific Northwest the sun sets around 6PM... I'd like to move the play time to earlier in the evening, but due to people working that isn't possible.

---

Also, could use some advice on getting a pair of really cheap nets. Can't afford it right now and still trying to get a decent number of players (averaging 4 a side right now)... but it's something I want to have on hand eventually as the field is only a few blocks from my house. In the meantime, I may invest in a pair of Pugg 6' goals.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 28, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

mixitwithblop posted:

Any suggestions for ball colors for when it gets dark? Out there in the Pacific Northwest sun sets around 6PM... I'd like to move the play time to earlier in the evening, but due to people working that isn't possible.

Yellow.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Ninpo posted:

Yellow.

Maybe this one?

Select Numero 10

Also thought about picking one of these up because they're so cheap:

Adidas adiPURE Training Pro

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 28, 2011

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
i've used an adipure for a couple years now and love it, would definitely recommend it. kick it into chain link fence and sometimes catch the edge of the fencing, haven't had a tear in the ball or any leaks yet from regular use

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

mixitwithblop posted:

Any suggestions for ball colors for when it gets dark? Out here in the Pacific Northwest the sun sets around 6PM... I'd like to move the play time to earlier in the evening, but due to people working that isn't possible.
Play somewhere with floodlights? It's loving stupid to play in the dark unless you're a child. If you're playing with adults there's no reason to not play somewhere with floodlights.

Mr. Big Snacks
Jul 26, 2006

mixitwithblop posted:

Do you live in the Seattle area? There are plenty of fields that are open pretty late that have floodlights, especially on the eastside.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

irlZaphod posted:

Play somewhere with floodlights? It's loving stupid to play in the dark unless you're a child. If you're playing with adults there's no reason to not play somewhere with floodlights.

Sorry for being loving stupid. Thanks for your advice, but that's not going to happen. Most of the people playing are from the local neighborhood. Also, we're not playing 'in the dark' but in low light around sunset. Just looking for a decent ball that's a bit more visible than average.

Mr. Big Snacks posted:

Do you live in the Seattle area? There are plenty of fields that are open pretty late that have floodlights, especially on the eastside.

Nope, Portland. North Portland specifically. There are other places we can go play in the city with flood lighting, but there are games already going on there and as mentioned above, it would difficult for some of our regulars to get there.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 28, 2011

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The yellow Nike balls are fantastic in low light if you can find one.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Ninpo posted:

The yellow Nike balls are fantastic in low light if you can find one.

Gotta agree wit this. The yellow balls are better than the green Mitre ones I used in my youth.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Thel posted:

Honestly I'm fine with bruises, but astroturf burns that take months to disappear are just a bit too annoying.

shouldnt your socks should be long enough to cover your knees anyway? or at least the part of your leg that slides?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TomSellek posted:

shouldnt your socks should be long enough to cover your knees anyway? or at least the part of your leg that slides?

People that pull football socks over their knees look loving ridiculous. Put some tracksuit pants on or man up and take the burns. Who slides on astroturf anyway?

Socks up over your knees? Come on Tom, you're above that.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Ninpo posted:

People that pull football socks over their knees look loving ridiculous. Put some tracksuit pants on or man up and take the burns. Who slides on astroturf anyway?

people that get tackled while running?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

You're not supposed to slide on astroturf.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Ninpo posted:

goalkeepers...

tracksuit bottoms dont exactly offer massive amounts of protection.

If I have a burn I dont want to re-open I usually wear one of the knee support things that are like a white cloth bandage that has really strong elastic in, if you fold them over a couple of times they pad you up a bit.

i hate people who slide tackle on astro turf, morons

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

angry armadillo posted:

tracksuit bottoms dont exactly offer massive amounts of protection.

But socks do...?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.

Ninpo posted:

You pull the socks up to the bottom of your knee anyway and I played 2 seasons of keeper in lovely co-ed 5 a side on turf and never scraped my knees I don't know why you'd ever go to your knees, thats poor goalkeeping