Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

What's the best deal for insurance on say the new iPhone? Going through Asurion or just getting AppleCare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Quest posted:

What's the best deal for insurance on say the new iPhone? Going through Asurion or just getting AppleCare?

Applecare+ is a hundred bucks for two years of Apple coverage, as opposed to the ten buck a month plan ($240 for two years) that Verizon has. Asurion costs something like 12 dollars a month. I'm not sure what the other carriers offer.

I'll take Apple over any other option.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think Asurion's deductible for a smartphone is around $90, too. Higher than AppleCare+'s $50.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If you have an applestore around then applecare+ will be the most convenient. Walk in and walk out with a replacement phone.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Thanks guys, my sister is the one doing the buying, is AppleCare only available for purchases made via Apple or can she get the phone from Verizon and walk into an Apple Store and add it there?

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

My wife owns an LG ENV3 that got ran over and is about to die. Any recommendations for someone who has no desire for a Smartphone but wants something with a slide-out QWERTY keyboard for moderate texting and taking semi-decent photos?

She should be eligible for her 2-year upgrade now. The best phones for her needs look to be the LG Cosmos Touch, the LG Cosmos 2, and a "certified used" LG ENV3 straight-up replacement.

Any opinions about these lesser-cared for phones from Verizon, or something similar?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My son has an LG Octane (although I'm not sure it's still available) that serves his needs well as a socially active 13 year old.

highme fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 14, 2011

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
How would you compare the iPhone 4S to the Droid Bionic?

I have a Bionic and it's great, but the battery cover is a bit loose so I am thinking of going in and swapping it (whatup Costco!) but now I'm wondering if I should switch to the iPhone, since the option is there and it's getting pretty good reviews.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pron on VHS posted:

I have a Bionic and it's great, but the battery cover is a bit loose so I am thinking of going in and swapping it (whatup Costco!) but now I'm wondering if I should switch to the iPhone, since the option is there and it's getting pretty good reviews.

I am not interested in the iPhone simply because after getting a taste of that sweet, sweet LTE, I can't justify locking myself into a slower connection for the next 2 years.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pron on VHS posted:

They are both nice phones. It really comes down to if you want super fast LTE, or if you want a stable phone with better battery life and build quality. The functionality gap between iOS and Android has been pretty much closed up with iOS. They stole the notification bar from android but drat it's a lot better looking and more functional than any of Android's versions of it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You seem to be projecting your own personal issues on a whole mobile operating system.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The thing is, I have noticed how blazing fast LTE is and it's really awesome, but there aren't many cases in which I wish my phone's data speed was faster. I use my phone 90% of the time for phoning/texting/playing games/camera, and I only web browse when I need to look something up or use Google Maps. I feel like 3G can handle that.

As far as the phoning/texting/playing games/camera use, doesn't the iPhone do all that better, basically? I've never owned an iPhone, I just am worried that I'll lose some awesome feature when I dump Android for iOS. Is Google Maps/navigation free on the iPhone?

I am cool with a smaller screen, non-removable battery and lack of LTE. If there are other significant drawbacks to the iPhone then I may not switch.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Did Costco start carrying the iPhone? They didn't sell it before

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Pron on VHS posted:

The thing is, I have noticed how blazing fast LTE is and it's really awesome, but there aren't many cases in which I wish my phone's data speed was faster. I use my phone 90% of the time for phoning/texting/playing games/camera, and I only web browse when I need to look something up or use Google Maps. I feel like 3G can handle that.

As far as the phoning/texting/playing games/camera use, doesn't the iPhone do all that better, basically? I've never owned an iPhone, I just am worried that I'll lose some awesome feature when I dump Android for iOS. Is Google Maps/navigation free on the iPhone?

I am cool with a smaller screen, non-removable battery and lack of LTE. If there are other significant drawbacks to the iPhone then I may not switch.

Don't judge phone to phone. Ultimately its iOS vs Android. Which would you rather have?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Pron on VHS posted:

There is Google Maps, but no Navigation. You'll need to pay for a turn by turn navigation app.

I swapped my wife from a TB to an iPhone this past weekend and after playing with hers some I figured I'd give it a go myself (we both had been using iPhone 4 on AT&T before switching to Verizon). You have to admit that the screen is beautiful, the camera is nice, and the media player is that much better too. I also like a little more how the copy & paste functions allow you to C&P rich text and paste it into MMS, etc. Battery life is awesome, too, you can take an iPhone off the charger at 6am, use the hell out of it over the course of a day and be at 50% battery when you go to bed at midnight.

On the other hand, I took the iPhone back to the store after 3 or 4 days. If there were an LTE iPhone this would be a non-issue. I have been spoiled by LTE and now I can't go back. The EVDO service just felt awful to use for me. I tried checking a ballgame score inside a building and it felt like I was using the original EDGE iPhone in that it took a good minute for the MLB site to load. Near my office, I couldn't get better than 300Kbps down, and maybe 500Kbs on average in a lot of other places. I get 20Mbps on LTE.

I like to stream Netflix and HBO Go on my phone (it makes it easier for me to talk myself into going to the gym if I can watch The Wire while I'm there) so for me, obviously the LTE is a better choice. The LTE also seemed to be more reliable inside buildings in general.

But if you don't care about streaming or browsing a whole lot, and you just want to send texts, do email, and play games from time to time, the iPhone's EVDO is ok, I'd imagine. My wife falls into that category and she has absolutely no complaints about her iPhone.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 14, 2011

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kitten smoothie posted:

There is Google Maps, but no Navigation. You'll need to pay for a turn by turn navigation app.

Mapquest offers free turn by turn voice guide navigation.

Its not as nice as google maps on android but its perfectly functional.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I feel like I am just missing a button, or something obvious, so I feel kinda stupid. I understand how to get an employee discount, but is there a way to use it with a family plan, or even just have two phones on the same plan? Or do I just need to go through the process once, then start over for my wife's?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel like I am just missing a button, or something obvious, so I feel kinda stupid. I understand how to get an employee discount, but is there a way to use it with a family plan, or even just have two phones on the same plan? Or do I just need to go through the process once, then start over for my wife's?
With a family plan, employer discounts only apply to the primary line.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
So far they're only rumors about the samsung/google galaxy nexus, no? It could still boot with a VERIZON NAVIGATOR PRESS HERE flash screen awful horseshit. I am waiting for it and nixed the bionic/iphone in favor of waiting but now I'm just antsy, thirding the "take my loving money" already.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No matter what, you're still going to have to wait a bit longer.

Verizon's MAP list got leaked again. While it's not a definitive word on release date, no phone has launched before the MAP period yet so it's a pretty fair bet.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/14/new-verizon-map-released-both-galaxy-nexus-and-htc-rezound-appear-at-299/

It looks like both the Galaxy Nexus and the HTC Rezound (Vigor) are slated for an 11/10 release date. So, we're looking at a little over 3 weeks after the announcement before release happens.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

No matter what, you're still going to have to wait a bit longer.

Verizon's MAP list got leaked again. While it's not a definitive word on release date, no phone has launched before the MAP period yet so it's a pretty fair bet.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/14/new-verizon-map-released-both-galaxy-nexus-and-htc-rezound-appear-at-299/

It looks like both the Galaxy Nexus and the HTC Rezound (Vigor) are slated for an 11/10 release date. So, we're looking at a little over 3 weeks after the announcement before release happens.

Ugh I hate the name Rezound so much. Why couldn't they stick with Vigor or even Thunderbolt 2?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Is there an issue with syncing with the gmail app? I haven't gotten any synced emails since yesterday. Or is this more of an android issue than a Verizon issue?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JayKay posted:

Ugh I hate the name Rezound so much. Why couldn't they stick with Vigor or even Thunderbolt 2?

Sounds like a lovely feature phone with lovely music capabilities. Seriously, what a horrible loving name.

Phone should be awesome though.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
4G is dead here in Honolulu for some reason. After an hour of no data connectivity, it seems they failed over to the 3G network. So painful.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Laranzu posted:

4G is dead here in Honolulu for some reason. After an hour of no data connectivity, it seems they failed over to the 3G network. So painful.

According to some guy on Reddit who claims to work for VZW, it's a systemwide outage

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/lekph/4g_outage_info_10162011/

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Laranzu posted:

Yeah it was down for a while for me in Seattle.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm up for a contract renewal in January, but really want to hop on board the upcoming Galaxy Nexus, rumored to release in early November.

What kind of penalty would I face for trying to upgrade early?

Alternatively, is there even a remote chance that VZW would let me move my upgrade date back two months? My line's been in place since 2001.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aatrek posted:

I'm up for a contract renewal in January, but really want to hop on board the upcoming Galaxy Nexus, rumored to release in early November.

What kind of penalty would I face for trying to upgrade early?

Alternatively, is there even a remote chance that VZW would let me move my upgrade date back two months? My line's been in place since 2001.

From what I've read from people in this thread, they've been bumping up quite a number of upgrades to encourage people to buy Bionics and 4S's, so it certainly couldn't hurt to call customer service and ask if they can work anything out for you.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Isn't the upgrade usually 22 months anyways, or did they get rid of that along with the 1 year contract?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

JayKay posted:

Isn't the upgrade usually 22 months anyways, or did they get rid of that along with the 1 year contract?

Every 20 months I'm pretty sure.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

doctor thodt posted:

From what I've read from people in this thread, they've been bumping up quite a number of upgrades to encourage people to buy Bionics and 4S's, so it certainly couldn't hurt to call customer service and ask if they can work anything out for you.

I've been a Verizon customer for probably 8 years, have never missed a payment, am always really friendly, etc;

iPhone preorders started on the 7th, while I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until the 9th. Big Red gave me a big "gently caress you" when I asked to preorder early.

Maybe I'm just not one of the fortune ones though :smith:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
January would be 20 months for me. I got my Incredible in May '10.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone having 3G service issues? I'm in NYC/Northern Jersey and my Tbolt is only getting 4G for the last 2 days.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Anyone having 3G service issues? I'm in NYC/Northern Jersey and my Tbolt is only getting 4G for the last 2 days.

Verizon has had nationwide data issues since early Sunday that are just now finally being ironed out.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/10/16/verizon-4g-lte-down-call-centers-swamped-no-eta-on-repairs

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

I'm thinking the same thing Aatrek is. Is there any indication whether it works better to call customer service or to visit a (corporate) store? There's one about 2mi from my workplace, directly on my way home.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The verizon people have been telling me there's a 4g lte coming online in MT area (southern Santa Clara county, Morgan hill/ Gilroy) any time now. Is there a way to check when it happens or if it's true at all?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
How do I make my computer look like the flash intro to this site:

http://www.droiddoes.com/#/droidrazr

Seriously.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

How do I make my computer look like the flash intro to this site:

http://www.droiddoes.com/#/droidrazr

Seriously.
Install Linux.

Seriously.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Endless Mike posted:

Install Linux.

Seriously.

Last I saw kde most certainly did not look like that. And obviously you wouldn't be able to get those effects on a plain terminal.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
Sorry if this has been asked 800 times, but I haven never been on Verizon before, but am planning on taking over a line from a friend's family plan tonight. I've been on Sprint the last 4 years or so.

The line has grandfathered unlimited data. How does Verizon's unlimited data work? Does it get throttled like TMobile or is it really just unlimited?

I'm buying an unopened iPhone 4S off someone on craiglist, anything I should look out for there? I'm meeting them in a Verizon store so the clerks can check the ESN. If the ESN comes back as good, that it right? It can't just "get bad" after the fact can it?

• Locked thread