Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Guntrip posted:

Is anyone else getting occasional pops and clicks in the audio during races and replays? I don't think I've seen anyone mention it.

I don't think it was happening in the demo and no other game (including Forza 3) seems to do it. It's more obvious now that I turned off the music. I'm using HDMI but with audio via optical to a Z-5500 speaker set - is it likely to be my set-up?

You're not the only one, I've noticed this as well. It's very noticeable on certain cars when the music is turned off. I've done a few min of Internet sleuthing and it is a known problem that many others are experiencing as well. All we can really hope for is it be patched I guess. I'm using optical audio as well, it is definitely not my stereo setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Baggins posted:

:smug: Baggins, you did it in one...
:v: Yes?
:smug: ...fourty...
:smug: two point eight!
:v: Whey!

1:42:867 Up yours, Ziploc!

Just spent 20 minuets trying to beat you, and finally have 01:42.427

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You're an rear end in a top hat muheras. loving took me 15 times to beat your 1:45.75. Finally had a loving magical lap and made it in 1:44.993. gently caress you.

:smug:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Residency Evil posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat muheras. loving took me 15 times to beat your 1:45.75. Finally had a loving magical lap and made it in 1:44.993. gently caress you.

:smug:
Which track? Because I will go back and beat it now that you called me out about beating yours.

I'm still pissed I had Logue's time beat by seconds for the Senna challenge but got a dirty lap in some bullshit place.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
The SIARPIC Rivals mode will be the end of me. All I think about anymore is how to improve on the Hammerhead and Gambon both of which are my two failure points.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

real_scud posted:

Which track? Because I will go back and beat it now that you called me out about beating yours.

I'm still pissed I had Logue's time beat by seconds for the Senna challenge but got a dirty lap in some bullshit place.

Top Gear Kia.

:(

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
Is the "hire a driver" option gone in FM4? I haven't seen it in the pre-race menu, but I've only done 4-5 races so far. Anyone find it yet?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

NVaderJ posted:

Is the "hire a driver" option gone in FM4? I haven't seen it in the pre-race menu, but I've only done 4-5 races so far. Anyone find it yet?

It's still in, but I think it's only an option if you go through the Event List (I honestly haven't been paying attention since I never use it). A lot of the badges that you can earn have notes on them that say "a hired driver cannot unlock this".

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Got my fanatec today, and it is ~AwEsOmE~. I can't drive anything above e class so far (losing control in a fiesta) but it's so amazing to drive this way. The control I have over the car, the shifting, the everything is so awesome. I'll still be controllering for racing online and the world tour for now, but I'm working on using the wheel. It's a long journey ahead of me.

Find yourself a really solid C or D class car that you enjoy (vintage is best because you'll get more body roll/weight shift and more necessity to wring the car's power all the way out) and put in a few hours with the wheel driving vs AI's in the same car - it will help you figure out how weight transfer can be really used to your advantage with the pedals, and it will help you figure out how the physics engine will react to your various standard actions. Driving a D class Trueno around the 'Ring in Forza 2 taught me a lot about how the game reacts to wheel use, and I think at slower speeds you can better appreciate just how amazing the physics engine works in this game. Using the same car for the AI means the pack will be tight and you'll get a lot of practice making clean overtakes and safe cornering with your new input device, rather than using the car's superior power/handling to make all your moves.

hreple posted:

Any of you without the cash-income-problem when running a fanatec-wheel? I'm just curious about having to run this game in 210 degrees wheel-mode until a proper fix, or if it's just bad luck for some ...

I had it happen on day one maybe 3 or 4 times in 20 races, then on the dashboard I turned the wheel down from 900 degrees to the lowest setting it had (I was looking for 'OFF' but maybe that disappeared in the latest firmware) and then moved it all the way back up to 900 degrees and re-loaded the game.

I haven't had the no-credits thing happen to me once in the last 2 days, with some pretty heavy World Tour use last night. I don't know if my wheel settings fiddling had anything at all to do with it, but it hasn't re-occured.

Basically you shouldn't worry about adjusting wheel settings to accomodate it because it seems to happen so rarely/randomly.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Residency Evil posted:

Top Gear Kia.

:(
Hah good, I need more reason to do it again because my lap was kind of wonky and I can improve it.

Rivals mode really is loving awesome, also anyone who has the manual around them can you dig into it and see if you can find any reference to a use of a Midway/Activision patent? In talking about Rivals mode yesterday at work someone mentioned that Midway/Activision owns a patent for ghost cars which blows my fuckin mind.

Munko
Jan 14, 2006
Uh Huh

Idiot race posted:

Whos ryanry64, stop beating my drat nascar time! :argh: Rivals mode is going to be the death of me.

Quite a fun car to drive, that! Unbelievably twitchy using a controller though. Rivals mode is most certainly going to be the cause of many late nights for many people.

Just one more lap...one, more, lap.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is the main metatag: Forza4goons?

Its only got 6 friends.

Anyone looking to join a club, send an invite to: GISH

We got a good crowd going here.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Is the main metatag: Forza4goons?

Yeah - I made the tag so it would be there, but the clubs have kind of rendered it useless. I still try to check for requests at least once a day.

so .... I've gotten addicted to buying ALL of the reward cars - someone STOP ME. But people sell them for such ridiculous prices on the AH it's hard not to get all Pokemon about this drat poo poo.

I hate to admit it, but all the little micro-econo starter cars are so fun to play around with. I've always loved lapping in the slower classes since it's almost puzzle-like trying to find the best way to carry the most momentum around the track.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Munko posted:

Quite a fun car to drive, that! Unbelievably twitchy using a controller though. Rivals mode is most certainly going to be the cause of many late nights for many people.

Just one more lap...one, more, lap.

Its suprisingly fun to drive and I always quite liked infineon from the GT4 days. The kicker is those two corner sequence where there are gently caress all brake markers.

On another note the SC300 is awesome for skidzzzzz

Imma put this in the club garage for A5H to try and tell me its terrible :v:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Had a great MultiClass race, came down to the final lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diNEj6Xi0
(Final Lap starts at 5:47)

Saw Bentron and WittyMoniker while making the online rounds.

(Click for big)

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Goodpart posted:

Is there a SA logo vinyl yet? I made the one people used in Forza 3, so I can get on it again if it doesn't already exist.

This game's beautiful, by the way. Simply beautiful.

I've got the newer logo on my storefront. GT: DaytonaTurboJ.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I sent a friend request to Forza4goons.

If Jersey Guy hasn't been on yet today, I'll be back on tonight to add anyone to GISH.

Can anyone in the car club send out invites, or does it have to be one of the heads of the car club? I've seen some people posting about wanting an invite, but it's easier if you just request to get in, as I don't have my computer in the same room as I do my Xbox.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So, how many tracks/track configs are in this game compared to GT5?

I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth owning both or just selling GT5 and getting Forza 4.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Had a great MultiClass race, came down to the final lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diNEj6Xi0
(Final Lap starts at 5:47)
Not to nitpick but you have the line off and still run wide on tons of corners. I think it's holding you back.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Just set up my CSR + G25 pedals and well... I'm kinda disappointed :(. If I would have had a chance to try it with Forza before, I probably wouldn't have spent 400€ on it (considering I already have a G25).

Though I can't necessarily say that the wheel is at fault here, I may have just expected too much from FM4's simulation. Guess it's my own fault for assuming force feedback quality at least somewhat close to current PC sims like for example LFS, nKP or iRacing. Currently it just feels... off. Like a bunch of cobbled together effects rather than proper steering rack forces. Oversteer, and I guess also understeer, feels rather unnatural past a certain point as the wheel suddenly loses all resistance and that's just kinda BS pseudo-realism. At the steering center there seems to be a tiny deadzone that I don't think is attributable to the wheel, which makes small corrections awkward.

Are there any more detailed FF options in the full version of FM4? Maybe turning off some of the "effects" would improve things. Tried messing with the CSR's built-in settings, but with some of them it's hard to tell what exactly they affect. Do any of you CSR owners have any suggestions regarding those? Car setups probably (hopefully) affect some of the FF too, so I definitely won't cast final judgement until I can try the full version.

That said, it is a lot easier to hit correct steering angles than with the controller (big surprise), so some of the "how is that possible" corners have definitely become a lot more consistently manageable, just from not understeering by turning the stick 1mm too far. I'll definitely give it a few more days to get settled in (currently 2 seconds off controller pace at best) and will also try the CSR on the PC, so I have some baseline comparison between it and the G25, which should clear up whether it's the wheel or FM4 that is bugging me (90% sure it's the latter).

Can't say anything bad about the CSR's build quality so far, though from a design point of view the buttons seem a bit too far from the wheel rim (or the wheel diameter is too large?), as you can't really reach any of them without at least partially taking your hand off the wheel. The shiny plastic and lightness (which is of course deliberate, to reduce wheel inertia) also makes it look/feel "cheaper" than for example the G25/27 and I imagine the fully covered Porsche wheel. Also the XBox wireless transmitter (or some other component that only turns on in XBox mode) emits a high pitched noise which is kinda bleh, though you don't really notice it respectively it's easy to ignore during gaming when your speakers aren't completely silent.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I have an idea, let me know what you guys think.

We make a community goon car. Nothing too fast or fancy, maybe between C and A class, but something well tuned to whoop rear end on short or medium tracks.

A goon uses it in a handful of races, and afterwards he gifts it to another goon. Keep a simple list of whos using it, and people next to receive it.

Its neat that you can see how many owners a car has had, how many races its won, how many miles its been driven, and this would be fun to track these stats on a shared ride.

Someone makes a cool or ridiculous livery, and lock it down for posterity. Pick a goon favorite, like a boxy german car.

The automotive version of sisterhood of the traveling pants.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Wolfy posted:

Not to nitpick but you have the line off and still run wide on tons of corners. I think it's holding you back.

Please nitpick everything.

I use the breaking line more as "Where are the turns, and when can I accelerate." I'm worried with it off I will fly off the track WAY more than I already do (and I do a ton). There are a lot of tracks to memorize how fast and with what car I can take that turn at so break line I use as a general guide. I'll turn it off today and see how things shake out.

(Photo by Kryptozone)

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007
Any chance of an Invite for SAEG, Got no friends on xbox as I only do forza. Would be nice to race with a group for a change :)

Lord M84

Cheers

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Baggins posted:

:smug: Baggins, you did it in one...
:smug: ...fourty...
:smug: two point eight!
:v: Whey!

1:42:867 Up yours, Ziploc!

I'll get you.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Please nitpick everything.

I use the breaking line more as "Where are the turns, and when can I accelerate." I'm worried with it off I will fly off the track WAY more than I already do (and I do a ton). There are a lot of tracks to memorize how fast and with what car I can take that turn at so break line I use as a general guide. I'll turn it off today and see how things shake out.
To make an analogy, the line is a bit like rote memorization. You aren't actually learning the track. You're going to fly off the track a lot but you will stop after a few races at each track. Do realize that everyone has their own style of driving and with that line off you might find certain ways of taking particular corners that suit your driving style/favorite car.

Also if you're using a controller, realize you barely even need to move the stick at all to turn, and if you turn too much too quickly you're going to lose traction on the front wheels. Once you figure this out your lap times will drop and your car wont jerk back and forth in turns.

My advice would be to turn off all assists, and do some F class races. Just focus on being as smooth on break, throttle and wheel. Don't worry about what the other idiots are doing. I think it finally clicked for me when I was running through the "Esses" at Suzuka and hitting them so clean that I was taking 2 seconds off of people in front of me who where just slamming the stick left-right-left.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The thing I've noticed since I started playing Forza 4 with no braking line or anything is that I actually crash less. It's crazy, but when I think about it, in Forza 1-3 I always had the breaking line on, and my method of learning cars + tracks was "go really fast and learn how much I have to slow down not to crash." My learning method now is "drive cautiously and learn how fast I can start going."

Seems to work much better.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

If you guys put any stock cars in the lljk garage please remove them.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SirViver posted:

Do any of you CSR owners have any suggestions regarding those? Car setups probably (hopefully) affect some of the FF too, so I definitely won't cast final judgement until I can try the full version.

Fanatec's recommended Forza 4 settings are these:

SEN: 900 (On some race cars down to 700)

FF: 100

Sho: 100

ABS: 70

Dri:3

Lin: 0

Dea: 0

Spr: 0

Dpr: 0

Mine are a little different but similar, I'll post them up when I'm at home later.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Anyone who's got their Fanatec stuff...where did it ship from? Does it ship from their LA office? I'm loving :f5: waiting for mine.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Z3n posted:

Anyone who's got their Fanatec stuff...where did it ship from? Does it ship from their LA office? I'm loving :f5: waiting for mine.

Yes

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Partial Octopus posted:

Yes

Best news all week. Maybe it'll be here today or tomorrow then :neckbeard:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Z3n posted:

Best news all week. Maybe it'll be here today or tomorrow then :neckbeard:

They should give you a tracking number when they ship it.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Just spent 20 minuets trying to beat you, and finally have 01:42.427

1:42.246!

Also, I really need to start using the clutch. If I'm one car lenght ahead coming out of the Hammerhead, I'll be two or three lenghts behind byt the braking point for the second to last corner. Button-clutching on the MS wheel is akward as gently caress though.

Ziploc posted:

I'll get you.

Come at me, bro!

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

So, how many tracks/track configs are in this game compared to GT5?

I'm currently trying to decide if it's worth owning both or just selling GT5 and getting Forza 4.

GT5 has 27 tracks, and is getting two more next week (Spa and the Kart Arena :swoon:) to bump the total to 29. In comparison, Forza 4 has 26 tracks.

Forza 4 has more variations of tracks, but that's mainly because they chop up tracks like the Nordschliefe and Top Gear track to artificially increase their track count however. There's also no feature for making your own tracks like there is with GT5.

It's also worth noting that Forza games traditionally get 1 new track as DLC at some point, with the rest of the DLC offered being cars.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Protip: If someone other than the person who put it up removes a car from the club garage, it apparently can't be re-added.

edit: It can, actually, but you have to restart Forza or it still thinks your car is shared.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 14, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Q_res posted:

Protip: If someone other than the person who put it up removes a car from the club garage, it apparently can never be re-added.

I guess this means the club owner is capable of removing cars, then?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

They should give you a tracking number when they ship it.

I was sent an e-mail that it "will be shipped now" 2 days ago but no tracking number since. :(

Is the fact that I'm not using the clutch why I'm always losing out on the straights in the Top Gear Cee'd challenge? It seems like I can come out of a corner faster than the ghost I'm racing against but I still end up down by the end of the straight. :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 14, 2011

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Any of the 4 main club leaders should be able to remove the cars.

I vote that the stock unicorns should stay in for people that don't have them.

Also - no point sharing the pre-order cars as they will show up as DLC Required to anyone without the pre-order.

pvax fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 14, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

pvax posted:

Any of the 4 main club leaders should be able to remove the cars.

I vote that the stock unicorns should stay in for people that don't have them.

Huh, only options I was getting was to view it and test drive. Maybe I was looking in the wrong spot then.

And yeah, the unicorn cars aren't going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daft chunK
Jan 23, 2008

Wut
Hey guys, loving Forza 4 (just got it today in the UK) will a thread be made in private game servers for club managing or will we just do it here? would love an invite to SAEG xbox tag: Clutchoid

• Locked thread