Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!
I'd like to join the GISH club please! GT: Flerps

Also, do messages get deleted after a certain amount of time? Some of mine are missing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowbird
Sep 8, 2006
I'd appreciate a GISH or SAEG invitation as well. GT: Snowbir (region europe)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sorry to the people's game invites I ignored. Addicted to rivals atm!

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Could use an invite to any accepting clubes.

GT: WeeBairns

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Day Man posted:

When I have raced the AI cleanly, they give me plenty of room. I've actually been incredibly impressed with how realistic it is sometimes. When I start pushing them around, though, they don't hesitate to start using me as a brake.

This is definitely true, and I'm starting to wonder if this isn't cumulative/transfers to online (private) races? In my career, I always restart a race if I push my way into a place unfairly vs the AI, and I do my utmost to avoid hitting their cars unless it's a racing incident.

I was playing with some friends last night in their private race lobby, we had professional AI and that poo poo was like Burnout - the AI cars would just sideswipe/hipcheck you as you went by, with no regard for it being a racing move or trying to get on the line. Turns out this guy drives his career quite aggressively and uses the AI to brake his car through turns etc. all the time.

Then we switched to my lobby, and the professional AI on the same track was just fast, they weren't noticeably aggressive. I suppose it could have been our imagination/confirmation bias once we had come up with the theory, but two or three people noticed it when we first started out and thought I'd turned the difficulty down because the AI cars suddenly became much more reasonable. They were still plenty quick and capable, but they seemed to stop doing random belligerent swerves as you went by minding your own business.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
I'm incredibly impressed with the whole game so far.

The physics and especially graphics, but also sound is fantastic. It's beyond fantastic, really. I'm just gobsmacked.

Some things confuse me though. Can you change the AI difficulty in any way? I've just been doing world tour for now, with break-lines and manual without clutch as the only help (not running wheel / pedals yet), but I can't find any way to change the AI skill level. Am I just lost in the new menues, somehow?

Oh, and how do I get Clarkson to say semi-funny stuff about cars in autovista-mode? I just had the 458 in there, and Clarkson didn't really want to inform me about anything regarding that car.

Will try to get some online-time later. I somehow never went online with Forza 3, so I'm pretty hyped about the online scene, as long as I don't get rammed too much ...

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I can confirm that AI ramming being reactionary isn't true, since I race incredibly clean and I've had the AI mindlessly ram me a fair few times. It seems to be as the difficulty in the career increases more than anything, their aggressiveness gets toned up the more you win races. It's particularly bad on corners after long straights, such as the first corners of Catalunya and Indianapolis, the AI will just blindly ram you regardless of how clean and contact-free your driving is.

I'm not too keen on how fake and goofy the AI mistakes look either, where they go screaming off the track on corners. It's a shame they couldn't get it looking as believable as the AI whoopsies in Shift or GT5. That's a minor complaint though I guess, it's just the senseless ramming that cheeses me off.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

hreple posted:

I'm incredibly impressed with the whole game so far.

The physics and especially graphics, but also sound is fantastic. It's beyond fantastic, really. I'm just gobsmacked.

Some things confuse me though. Can you change the AI difficulty in any way? I've just been doing world tour for now, with break-lines and manual without clutch as the only help (not running wheel / pedals yet), but I can't find any way to change the AI skill level. Am I just lost in the new menues, somehow?

Oh, and how do I get Clarkson to say semi-funny stuff about cars in autovista-mode? I just had the 458 in there, and Clarkson didn't really want to inform me about anything regarding that car.

Will try to get some online-time later. I somehow never went online with Forza 3, so I'm pretty hyped about the online scene, as long as I don't get rammed too much ...

I asked the AI question earlier and was told that is "adapts" with you, so becomes better the more you win, that being said I still win ALMOST all of my races against the AI, just by less of a margin than I did in Forza 3.

As for the Autovista, Clarkson only gives a little vignette for each car. You activate it by selecting the Top Gear logo usually located at the front bumper/hood of the car. All other details are covered by the other dude.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does it have the BDR 529 Illinois plate?

GhostDog posted:

As far as I can tell there's no way to add a plate :(
You should be able to make a license plate vinyl pretty easily of that old IL license plate. Hell I can give it a crack after I get home from work late tonight if it hasn't already been done. It won't be dead on accurate, but it'll do the trick.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
It's fairly obvious, but for anybody who's a complete novice, here are two money-making protips:

1) When you do rivals challenges and you beat your opponent, quit out and collect money. Don't continue driving. You only get money for beating that opponent. If you continue driving, you set a faster lap time, and earn a tougher rival, but with no monetary gain.

2) When you are beating your rival's ghost by A COUNTRY MILE then start sandbagging the lap. If you have a better time in you, save it for a harder rival. Remember, each one you beat is another 50k in the pocket.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Wait, Rivals gives out 50k a win? That's a relief, the career was turning into a grind so I'll check that out :D

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bentai posted:

You should be able to make a license plate vinyl pretty easily of that old IL license plate. Hell I can give it a crack after I get home from work late tonight if it hasn't already been done. It won't be dead on accurate, but it'll do the trick.

The problem is you can't put it on the car in the place where a license plate would be. That area is just not workable :(

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
I think there are some bugs on Sedona Club Circuit (maybe on all versions of Sedona) that makes clean laps become dirty for no reason.

The first bug is at the corner at the orange arrow. I have taken that corner 100% cleanly (none of my wheels even rode up onto the rumble strip, when I know for a fact most corners let you go "dirtier" than that and still get a clean rating) and yet my lap has still been marked dirty. I found you have to take that corner extremely wide (a terrible line) to stay clean.

Later in the lap, at the pink arrow (a straight section of track!), I had kept a lap clean up to that point by taking the orange arrow corner stupidly wide, but then on that pink arrow straightaway my lap was marked dirty for no reason. I'm in the middle of the road, just cruising along, and from out of nowhere my lap timer gets the little "!" flashing next to it.

No collisions, no rewinding (other than to inspect what the hell could possibly have been dirty once I saw the flashing "!"). I reproduced the clean-but-still-marked-dirty laps over and over while trying to figure out exactly what was going on and I just don't understand how it could be happening other than some weird bugs.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

siig posted:

I think there are some bugs on Sedona Club Circuit (maybe on all versions of Sedona) that makes clean laps become dirty for no reason.

I get laps marked dirty for seemingly no reason at all, and I can't figure out why. I don't follow motorsport at all, but I've put hundreds of hours combined into FM2 and 3. I thought there might be something I'm missing. On a lot of tracks I'll be going on a straight, or into/ out of a turn, with no one around and see the ! Flashing. This also happens a lot when going past the start finish line, the lap will just become insta-dirty for no reason that I can tell.

Regardless, this game is amazingly fun, I just got a Shelby Daytona Le Mans car as a level 30 reward and the thing is a blast. Sounds great, fast as hell and so much grip. When it lets go, its just so manageable, I was drifting around the Bernesse Alps like it was no bodies business.

I don't know if LLJK is still full, but I put in a request. GT : Molgandhi.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is it possible to buy the VIP car pack separate if you didn't get the LCE?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Bentai posted:

Yeah the plate in the movie was really plain. The vinyl should be super easy.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

MUFFlNS posted:

I can confirm that AI ramming being reactionary isn't true, since I race incredibly clean and I've had the AI mindlessly ram me a fair few times. It seems to be as the difficulty in the career increases more than anything, their aggressiveness gets toned up the more you win races. It's particularly bad on corners after long straights, such as the first corners of Catalunya and Indianapolis, the AI will just blindly ram you regardless of how clean and contact-free your driving is.

What level are you at? I'm only level 34 and have lost one race in world tour so far, but have not had any issues with the AI in my career mode whatsoever unless I'm doing something unpredictable.

Hamare
Jul 21, 2010

Just got the game and holy poo poo is it purty for a console game! I didn't see anyway to join a club ingame, so could someone please add me to LLJK or if that's full GISH ? GT: Hamare

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

WienerDog posted:

I get laps marked dirty for seemingly no reason at all, and I can't figure out why. I don't follow motorsport at all, but I've put hundreds of hours combined into FM2 and 3. I thought there might be something I'm missing. On a lot of tracks I'll be going on a straight, or into/ out of a turn, with no one around and see the ! Flashing. This also happens a lot when going past the start finish line, the lap will just become insta-dirty for no reason that I can tell.

Something I just learned recently is, drafting causes a dirty lap. I'm definitely not a motorsports expert, but I guess it's because it's considered aggressive driving?

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Dirty Laps have nothing to do with aggressive driving. Dirty laps indicate laps in which you gained some unfair advantage to improve your lap time. Here are some of the causes of dirty laps:

- Contact, whether with walls or cars
- Cutting courses. If your center of the car is over the edge of the course, you get invalidated. Some courses are different whether they include the rumble strips or not in this calculation
- Draft. You get invalidated laps for being roughly ~1 second behind a car or in front of a car if your speed is 100mph or above.

Each of these can be exploited for an unfair advantage for improving lap times, whether increasing speed by bumpdrafting, drafting, or improving lap times by cutting the course.

Avoid these and you get a clean lap for the leaderboard.

L_Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 15, 2011

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to buy the VIP car pack separate if you didn't get the LCE?

Not right now, but eventually, yes.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Alright guys here's the deal, I'm going to shoot for some actual dice racing tonight at 7 pm est. I'm sure it's a little soon for tuned cars in every class so we'll be driving showroom cars.

gt is bentron, let's get crazy tonight!

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So I am loving the hell out of this game, Just like I did forza 3. I seem to fall in love with heavy rear-wheel drive cars that I throw out on every corner for some reason. I never really run into anything, I just fear it is hurting my lap times. Does anyone have tips on how to drive a rear-wheel properly?

On a slightly different note, Is there a guide somewhere to what tuning actually effects? I know the simple ones like tire pressure/aerodynamics. But am completely lost when it comes to softening/Stiffening roll cages and such. Maybe if I make a tuning file I can stop throwing it out on every corner.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

Fanatec's recommended Forza 4 settings are these:
Thanks a lot, these settings seem to improve things somewhat, and as long as I don't get the car horribly out of shape I can actually suspend my disbelief well enough not to be bothered by it anymore :). Feels good getting rid of that buyer's remorse that threatened to ruin my weekend. If anyone's interested, I'm now using following settings:

SEN: 720
 FF: 70
Sho: 10
ABS: 99
Dri: 3
Lin: 0
Dea: 0
Spr: 0
Dpr: 0

After getting over yesterday's disappointment and getting more used to the way Forza does things I managed to regain my speed and actually got a new PB! Now sittin' on rank 840 with a Zonda time of 1:41.106 :coal:

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

L_Harrison posted:

- Cutting courses. If your center of the car is over the edge of the course, you get invalidated. Some courses are different whether they include the rumble strips or not in this calculation
- Draft. You get invalidated laps for being roughly ~1 second behind a car or in front of a car if your speed is 100mph or above.

1) Contact and cutting corners I had figured, but holy gently caress I never would have guessed drafting makes laps dirty. The game rates your drafts! It's like, "4/4 Good Job drafting, man! ...But that's illegal."

2) How can you avoid drafting then? If a car is ~one second faster then yours, what's a guy to do? if I slow, the gap will increase so I won't get penalized, but his car is faster then mine. If I let up he's gunna dust me, and if I could be faster then him, well, there wouldn't be this issue.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Doing a career race, testing out an M3 with manual gears, when I overtake an R34 GT-R CPU car down the straight. As I'm slowing, the GT-R comes flying past, mad that I passed him or something, and proceeds to smash right into the car in front.

Also, glowing front brake discs. I love this game.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Has this game been out long enough for anybody to do a good solid "GT5 vs F4" review yet?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Worst race so far is the Class B race in Sebring Club course. AI in Mustangs and Camaros are impossible to pass without running them off the course, and I get brake checked and rammed non stop. I built 3 different cars to try and beat it cleanly to no avail.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

What level are you at? I'm only level 34 and have lost one race in world tour so far, but have not had any issues with the AI in my career mode whatsoever unless I'm doing something unpredictable.

I'm not as high level as you, I'm somewhere in the 20s (forget what number exactly).

GreatGreen posted:

Has this game been out long enough for anybody to do a good solid "GT5 vs F4" review yet?

You'll never see a good comparison because people will always have bias towards one game or the other. The best you can do is play both and decide for yourself.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

WienerDog posted:

2) How can you avoid drafting then? If a car is ~one second faster then yours, what's a guy to do? if I slow, the gap will increase so I won't get penalized, but his car is faster then mine. If I let up he's gunna dust me, and if I could be faster then him, well, there wouldn't be this issue.
Does it actually matter? As far as I understand the dirty indicator only affects you if you want to hotlap for the leaderboards or rivals mode, and in neither should you have AI cars around (that race you). If drafting didn't invalidate the lap you could gain an unfair advantage - for laptime comparison - by having someone else (or coaxing the AI into) letting you draft them on straights that would offset an otherwise crippling downforce or power penalty for example. That said, I don't have the full version yet, do you actually get bonus points for "clean" laps?

SirViver fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 15, 2011

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
Can I get into SAEG? GT is Gunrun247.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

L_Harrison posted:

Dirty Laps have nothing to do with aggressive driving. Dirty laps indicate laps in which you gained some unfair advantage to improve your lap time. Here are some of the causes of dirty laps:

Each of these can be exploited for an unfair advantage for improving lap times, whether increasing speed by bumpdrafting, drafting, or improving lap times by cutting the course.

I seem to recall that bottoming out and damaging your car will dirty a lap as well.

Haven't encountered it myself, but I spend a lot of time tuning to make sure my suspension never fully compresses so that may be why.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007

SirViver posted:

Does it actually matter? As far as I understand the dirty indicator only affects you if you want to hotlap for the leaderboards or rivals mode, and in neither should you have AI cars around (that race you). If drafting didn't invalidate the lap you could gain an unfair advantage - for laptime comparison - by having someone else (or coaxing the AI into) letting you draft them on straights that would offset an otherwise crippling downforce or power penalty for example.

That makes sense, if people want to run the leaderboard, they shouldn't have the advantage of drafting to help. I guess it just pisses me off because it makes me think I'm doing something wrong.

SirViver posted:

That said, I don't have the full version yet, do you actually get bonus points for "clean" laps?

No. Not in world tour, anyway.

Schlongbow
Jul 14, 2004

Would love a club invite or some new friends: Swervebot 3000

Schlongbow fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 15, 2011

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

pvax posted:

Awesome :clint:

I just sorted it by Club only and now I feel rather pleased with myself :)

I went and grabbed the build and I still couldn't beat you, I had you going into turn 4 a couple times but either slipped off course or just got on the brakes a little too hard.

I think the closest was a couple tenths....don't worry, I am practicing, I'll be back!

EDIT: Fair warning, I hope to be online tonight and given my day spent BBQ-ing some pulled pork and watching football, I'm likely to be "impared" when I'm online. That means three things.....I'll accept your invite, I will talk (about my java homework) on my mike, and I'll probably crash somebody because 42 year old people aren't good at video games.

wernox fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 15, 2011

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah the plate in the movie was really plain. The vinyl should be super easy.

The vinyl itself is easy, but a lot of the older cars have big chrome bumpers that you can't put stickers on, or the flat plate holding area just isn't modeled, so you'd have some weird plate that conforms to the bumper.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
OK, so I'm just starting the Masters series of World Tour, and I goto the event list to see how things are coming along there, and certain races you do in world tour don't transfer over to the event list.

We've established the reason for this is that in world tour, it will offer you an event on a specific track, but on the Event list, that event never takes place on that track.

Is there any way to avoid doing races in world tour that aren't on the event list? You can understand what a pain in the rear end it would be if say, you do four races of the North America Tour A in the World Tour, then you go to the event list, and you have do that entire series again, on four different tracks.

There's SO MANY races in the event list, why would they present you options in world tour that aren't on the event list?

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008
Wow, I've now for the first time actually fired up F3 since I got the CSR and the fact that Forza by default has a tiny steering deadzone configured - even for wheels - gives me hope that that's exactly the issue I'm experiencing in the F4 demo currently. Removing that and taking my 627 hp/ton Datsun 510 around a few laps on the ring has been an absolute blast. Cars in general seem to feel much more alive and a lot of the cars tuned for general oversteer necessary for the controller are extremely twitchy now. Guess I'll get a few more hours out of F3 after all.

Speaking of which, are there any non-DLC cars to get for the F4 profile import? I'm already lvl 50 so that base is covered. Just wondering if there's anything I can invest my leftover 3.5 million in.

Cant Stand Me Now
Apr 27, 2005

I'm no missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!
Can I get an invite to SAEG please
-GT : JoyChi

Think I got missed before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I added a request, it might have been lost in the Live tubes.

GT: xultxforcex

• Locked thread