Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I did the third one fairly thoroughly in my last playthrough, and didn't see him at all.

I think one of the main things you need to do is not kill Shaheed, meet him before you go back to Alpha Protocol and agree to betray the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

How'd you pull that off? I turned both Marburg (through his dossier and +10 reputation) and Parker (through the option that doesn't involve "Analysis Flawed"), and ended up with Parker and Marburg fighting each other, Parker dying, and then having to fight Marburg again. Guessing you have to turn Parker through convincing him his analysis is flawed in order to keep Marburg from showing up there?

It's the parker thing. Turning Parker through telling him that Marburg killed/attempted to kill his daughter just makes Parker try to murder Marburg (who realises that the only person who could have known that is Thorton. Alliance is off)

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Important Russian boss-based question!

How do I get Brayko's kickin' 80s soundsystem hauled back to my safehouse?

TURN UP THE RADIO

I've decided my freshly-unlocked Professional run is going to be the "Everyone Hates Mike Thorton" show. Negative rep for everyone where I can manage it, murdering whenever possible. Mina's rep in particular plummets hilariously quickly in Rome every time you kill a CIA agent.

I'm also trying SMGs. Any tips for these? It's hard going from pistol headshots to lead-spraying rooms, and the Bulletstorm ability feels kind of finnicky - the SMG low accuracy beyond short range and how enemies generally don't cluster up make me end up taking a lot of damage.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Who cares? You aren't going to be sneaking so you can wear the biggest, noisiest armour possible and you can kick down every door blasting everyone away. Keep an assault rifle for picking off those stationary gunners and the rest is like the lobby scene from The Matrix.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

S.D. posted:

I'm also trying SMGs. Any tips for these? It's hard going from pistol headshots to lead-spraying rooms, and the Bulletstorm ability feels kind of finnicky - the SMG low accuracy beyond short range and how enemies generally don't cluster up make me end up taking a lot of damage.

Yeah it's the Matrix basically. Put points into Toughness, completely ignore the cover system and run right up to people blasting them in the face. Yes your reticle is the size of the entire screen, but it doesn't matter if you're 5 feet away.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

S.D. posted:

Important Russian boss-based question!

How do I get Brayko's kickin' 80s soundsystem hauled back to my safehouse?

You have to accept his bribe. It should be at your safehouse after the mission.

zne
Jun 2, 2011
Been playing this game like crazy since picking it up for €2 on steam (definatly feels as if I ripped Obsidian off though). I'm currently doing a fourth run, and I got to say that I keep getting impressed how even a single change in your approach on a dialogue, can change the rest of it entirely.

About Taipei though: It took me three playthroughs before it it hit me, that the Wen Shu arrested for the assassination, was most likely the poor bugger "working" for Steven Heck...

It's a shame that the poor reviews, and the loss of sales that followed, probably means we won't get a sequel, 'cause I really like it...

Bummer...

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

zne posted:

It took me three playthroughs before it it hit me, that the Wen Shu arrested for the assassination, was most likely the poor bugger "working" for Steven Heck...

It is.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt

zne posted:

About Taipei though: It took me three playthroughs before it it hit me, that the Wen Shu arrested for the assassination, was most likely the poor bugger "working" for Steven Heck...

I feel so bad for that poor guy. I wonder if you can get Heck to dislike you so much that he actually does sell you out and doesn't frame Wen?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DuckPuncher posted:

I feel so bad for that poor guy. I wonder if you can get Heck to dislike you so much that he actually does sell you out and doesn't frame Wen?

Yup if he hates you enough he will sell you out.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

DuckPuncher posted:

Yes, you can do that if Taipei isn't your first hub, otherwise Wen gets framed regardless.

Dude totally deserves it though. He knew that Heck doesn't like candy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

etalian posted:

Yup if he hates you enough he will sell you out.

But you have to do Taipei last and be liked by either SIE or Albatross. Otherwise the game makes it so Heck doesn't sell you out so you can still have a handler for the last mission.

Also, regarding Wen, He's not as innocent as he seems either.

zne
Jun 2, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Also, regarding Wen, He's not as innocent as he seems either.

I feel as if I've missed something here, care to elaborate?
I've always figuered that the copy of Catcher in the Rye found as his apartment, was planted there as "evidence" by Heck in a true conspiracy nutcase kind of way...

If there's anything else that suspicious about him, I havn't noticed it...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

zne posted:

I feel as if I've missed something here, care to elaborate?
I've always figuered that the copy of Catcher in the Rye found as his apartment, was planted there as "evidence" by Heck in a true conspiracy nutcase kind of way...

If there's anything else that suspicious about him, I havn't noticed it...

I can't remember the specific details, but you can find emails from one of the major organizations in Taipei, can't recall if it's Deng, Hong Shu, or Halbech, about how they've got one of their people trying to get in close with a Halbech agent in the area. Wen Shu is actually a double agent sent in to spy on Steven Heck, who is working with Halbech.

Much like the Heck Conspiracy, the game never goes out of its way to tell you, but there are enough hints scattered around if you that all seem to point to one conclusion.

zne
Jun 2, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I can't remember the specific details, but you can find emails from one of the major organizations in Taipei, can't recall if it's Deng, Hong Shu, or Halbech, about how they've got one of their people trying to get in close with a Halbech agent in the area. Wen Shu is actually a double agent sent in to spy on Steven Heck, who is working with Halbech.

Much like the Heck Conspiracy, the game never goes out of its way to tell you, but there are enough hints scattered around if you that all seem to point to one conclusion.

Neat, I thought I had been quite thorough on my last playthrough, but I'll definatly keep my eyes open next time I'm going through Taipei.

But stuff like this is definatly one of just many reasons this game should have been loved by the masses, had it only been given a chance.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

DuckPuncher posted:

I managed this when I had 'animosity' with him.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

zne posted:

Neat, I thought I had been quite thorough on my last playthrough, but I'll definatly keep my eyes open next time I'm going through Taipei.

But stuff like this is definatly one of just many reasons this game should have been loved by the masses, had it only been given a chance.

Why couldn't this game have had the plot react to your actions, like Mass Effect? :allears:

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

Is there a way to unlock Veteran without playing on Recruit? My previous playthroughs were on a non-steam version :(

Requoting. I think it was in this thread, but I don't have search

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

http://www.mediafire.com/?8gu528ys6ogioxx

This should do it :)

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn
It works, thanks!

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Crappy Jack posted:

Wen Shu is actually a double agent sent in to spy on Steven Heck, who is working with Halbech.

Wait, what? Are you serious? I always assumed Heck was just some rogue nutjob, I never had a clue that he was working with Halbech.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Wait, what? Are you serious? I always assumed Heck was just some rogue nutjob, I never had a clue that he was working with Halbech.

You and Omen Deng both think the other guy is the assassin. Who could have spread that misinformation? Who do you get much of your info in Taipei from? And if you have Heck as handler for the confrontation with Scarlet and Leland at the end, Heck tells you he knew she was the assassin all along - how would he have known unless he was on the inside with Halbech? It's also mentioned in dossiers and emails that the Taiwanese NSB sent an undercover agent (other than Deng, who is like triple undercover) to infiltrate the assassination plot and disrupt it - that agent is possibly Wen and Heck has him captured and tortured on Halbech's orders. That last bit is on shakier evidence, but still, there's a pattern.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

None of it is explicitly stated but Chris Avellone hasn't denied it either.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

He did say "that's the kind of thing Heck would do, isn't it?" while explicitly not confirming or denying it, though.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

gohuskies posted:

You and Omen Deng both think the other guy is the assassin. Who could have spread that misinformation? Who do you get much of your info in Taipei from? And if you have Heck as handler for the confrontation with Scarlet and Leland at the end, Heck tells you he knew she was the assassin all along - how would he have known unless he was on the inside with Halbech? It's also mentioned in dossiers and emails that the Taiwanese NSB sent an undercover agent (other than Deng, who is like triple undercover) to infiltrate the assassination plot and disrupt it - that agent is possibly Wen and Heck has him captured and tortured on Halbech's orders. That last bit is on shakier evidence, but still, there's a pattern.

Steven Heck and Taipei stuff
Not really disagreeing with the Heck Conspiracy cause it seems likely, but Hong Shi puts you on Deng's trail if you do his missions. He warns you about Deng if you complete the mission for him. In the after mission conversation with Mina, she says that his gang captured the undercover NSB mole and tortured him to find out about the assassination plot and the threat of Omen Deng. I suppose it's possible Heck and Hong Shi are working together or the NSB mole was acting on false information supplied by Heck.

I think the best part of the whole thing is that you can't rule out the potential that Heck might be a loving madman. His secret dossier fact says as much.

"Heck does not seem to be affiliated with any professional intelligence organizations and has never been linked officially to any CIA operations. He could be categorized as a freelance operative, but then, he is said to trade his services for favors, not cash. There is no question as to his broad knowledge of Taipei and he is definitely familiar with the more infamous personalities of the city (and they him), but even close scrutiny of his behavior yields no certain agenda. His coolheaded conduct and manner of casual speech would define him as either one of the world's most collected, ingenious agents or as a complete lunatic that has tricked himself into believing this."

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 15, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I like to think of Heck as a sort of successful, younger version of Dale Gribble. He dove headlong into his insanity and got really good at the object of his infatuation. The only nation he owes allegiance to is Heckistan, which is why he'll help you out if you're bros and screw you if you aren't.

One of these days I'll do Taipei first and see what kinds of intel options having Heck on my side gives me, if any.

OPERATION SMUGGLE A loving CHAINGUN INTO A ROMAN MUSEUM

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 15, 2011

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
The further I get into this game the less I understand the reviews. I just finished the Saudi Arabia mission and its blindingly obvious that the choice I am making are all surrounded by other possibilities.

The gunplay is not fantastic but really I could not honestly tell you it's any worse than playing Fallout 3 in 3rd person view. The graphics aren't amazing in general gameplay either I guess but it's not like they are awful. Mike doesn't like taking cover sometimes but neither did Niko in GTA IV. My point is I cannot honestly say that any of this games faults are any worse than those seen elsewhere.

The main attraction of this game is that it actually feels like I'm changing the game world with my choices. It also feels like I'm a badass spy who gives no fucks and responds however he feels at the time. I just started the Rome mission and I can't wait to progess further.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

gohuskies posted:

What does Heck say at the end? And if Halbech wants Thorton dead, and Heck was working for Halbech, why didn't they tell Heck to kill him?

Unrelated (Rome): Is it possible to kill Marburg, or does he always get away? And do you ever get to talk to Jibil Al-Bara, or is he always killed by either Thorton or Marburg's people?

Sam. fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 15, 2011

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Sam. posted:

What does Heck say at the end? And if Halbech wants Thorton dead, and Heck was working for Halbech, why didn't they tell Heck to kill him?

Unrelated (Rome): Is it possible to kill Marburg, or does he always get away? And do you ever get to talk to Jibil Al-Bara, or is he always killed by either Thorton or Marburg's people?

Heck's just that kind of guy. He may have been on Halbech's payroll, but you guys are bros, and that's a close and important bond. For the second one, yes you can kill Marburg, in either Rome or the Greybox. To get him in Rome, you need to make him hate you so much that he doesn't run away when he otherwise would, which is a lot of hate. In the Greybox, you also need to for him to hate you but it doesn't take as much hate. You fight him in the server room, where you can fight either him, Parker, or mooks, depending on what's going on. And Al-Bara always gets killed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

re: Marburg It's not enough to get him to hate you - you have to have a reputation for being a smug, "suave" jerkoff. You can choose "suave" for every conversation node you have with him but if you've been playing professional or aggressive before that, he won't bite even if he hates the poo poo out of you, because he'll realize you're playing headgames. This game pays attention.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

thepopstalinist posted:

re: Marburg It's not enough to get him to hate you - you have to have a reputation for being a smug, "suave" jerkoff. You can choose "suave" for every conversation node you have with him but if you've been playing professional or aggressive before that, he won't bite even if he hates the poo poo out of you, because he'll realize you're playing headgames. This game pays attention.

So in order to kill him in Rome, I have to stick to one path for the entire time before that?

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Sam. posted:

So in order to kill him in Rome, I have to stick to one path for the entire time before that?

There seems to be some leeway. I got the 'Suave' perk in the very first scene but I didn't stick to Suave throughout the game. When we first met he mentioned I had reputation for being a man who favors words over action or something like that. I used all Suave whenever we spoke and ended up killing him in Rome. So I'm fairly sure the perk is required, but beyond that, not so sure.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
REALLY wish this game had an option for subtitles.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

El Seano posted:

It does :confused:

Maybe you are getting the anti-aliasing bug from the OP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

El Seano posted:

It does. I've been playing with subs enabled since I got it.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
I'm playing on the 360 and I can't see an option anywhere? Unless I'm being famously stupid.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Subtitles are sometimes in audio settings. You might also have to go back to the main menu.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Sable Stormfront posted:

There seems to be some leeway. I got the 'Suave' perk in the very first scene but I didn't stick to Suave throughout the game. When we first met he mentioned I had reputation for being a man who favors words over action or something like that. I used all Suave whenever we spoke and ended up killing him in Rome. So I'm fairly sure the perk is required, but beyond that, not so sure.
Yeah. There are several instances in which the approach you take affects things down the line, but the big ones are at the beginning - when Westridge asks you why you joined AP, your answer is pretty significant, up until the end of the game.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Yay, subtitles enabled! They were in the main menu options.

Edit: Oh man the ending to the infiltrate the ruins mission in Rome had me laughing "WHEELIE AWAY FROM MY WANTON DISTRUCTION OF ANCIENT HISTORY YEEEEEEEEEEEAUH!!!"

Christ I love this game, it picks up even more once you get to around level 8 and start feeling more like a super powered Spy. I must've put like 5 hours into this game tonight.

El Seano fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

El Seano posted:

Yay, subtitles enabled! They were in the main menu options.

Edit: Oh man the ending to the infiltrate the ruins mission in Rome had me laughing "WHEELIE AWAY FROM MY WANTON DISTRUCTION OF ANCIENT HISTORY YEEEEEEEEEEEAUH!!!"

Oh god this made me absolutely burst out laughing too. It just comes out of nowhere it's amazing. This loving game.

• Locked thread