Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odette
Mar 19, 2011

How do you 'tune' cars? I literally have no idea. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Idiot race posted:

I'll give it a skid :D, also I upgraded the lexus to a and made some more tweaks to the toe.

Edit: wow thats mental, its a bit hard to control at first but once I got into a rythm I could realy hold it at an angle. what are the diff and allignment settings if you dont mind me asking?

Basically, on that, there's a degree of camber on the front. Degree of toe out on the front. Slightly reduced caster. Stiffened up everything with no bias towards a softer back. As low as possible. Increased diff lock. Higher pressure tyres on front to reduce snap oversteer and that's pretty much it I think.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!
I will seriously pay anything for a Cafe Bustelo sponsored F430GT

OR a Suntory Boss sponsored Commodore VE

I'll give you the cars too! Someone hit me up, I'm desperate :gonk:

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Okay, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere:

Was the limited edition ACTUALLY limited this time? I didn't pre-order because I didn't have a job (I got my first paycheck on the 13th). But I really want that bastard. Not enough to pay the $130 that people on Amazon are asking, but enough to wait on it if there's gonna be more.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Jarf, could you possibly handle any SAEG invites for tonight? I should be doing this, but I just worked a 13 and a half hour day split in two, so I'm absolutely loving knackered and I have to get up in 4 hours to watch the Korean Grand Prix.

I'll be making ammends by adding some tuned cars to the club, such as my crazy fun (and competitive) aeroless 2010 Camaro and 2009 Challenger.

By the way, anyone who has added cars to SAEG's garage without a tune or even parts to bring it up to the top of one of the car class tiers, could you please possibly pull them and just add a tune? If it's a car that anyone can own (non unicorn) and you don't feel confident to tune the car, shoot it my way (GT: Kal Reegar ) and I'll set it up.

It's just that they'll rarely get used if they're not specced up to a class you see. :(

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

ApathyGifted posted:

Okay, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere:

Was the limited edition ACTUALLY limited this time? I didn't pre-order because I didn't have a job (I got my first paycheck on the 13th). But I really want that bastard. Not enough to pay the $130 that people on Amazon are asking, but enough to wait on it if there's gonna be more.

Best Buy had some extra when I picked my copy up, and I saw a few at Walmart last night. I don't know about a month or two on, but you should still be able to find a copy for now.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Sorry for not taking the GISH invites earlier. Friends just showed up and we're in retro gaming mode. Definitely looking forward to racing with you all in the future.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Sunday Punch, have you considered making a Kerbal Space Program livery? What with your heavy involvement with modding in parts.

I'd drive any car with :jeb: on the side.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

siig posted:

Where in rivals mode is the starter car rivals event? I must be blind but I can't find it.

Rivals -> Community Monthly -> Starter Car Open

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

blodycoughbynewport posted:

I will seriously pay anything for a Cafe Bustelo sponsored F430GT

I'll give you the cars too! Someone hit me up, I'm desperate :gonk:

Oh my god, I loving live off that poo poo. You're a genius! I'm too poor to own Forza 4 at the moment but I could start mocking something up in 3 and maybe send it to somebody to import.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Where do you buy the inversion kit for the Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals? I see it mentioned on the Fanatec site, but there seems to be no links to the actual product.

HAIL LORD ZLATAN
Jan 2, 2011

Jarf posted:

Oh my loving god :gizz:

This only makes me sad because I already bought this game even though i have NO XBOX.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Odette posted:

Neither do I. :(

I pretty much have to just find cars that are drivable stock with minor upgrades because I don't know what I need to do to tune them.

Upgrading even the 2012 M5 to A600 (from the stock A5XX) made it nearly undrivable for me--it wouldn't turn worth a drat without peeling out, and I hardly upped the horsepower, most of those points were in new tires and other handling upgrades!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Neither do I. :(

I pretty much have to just find cars that are drivable stock with minor upgrades because I don't know what I need to do to tune them.

Upgrading even the 2012 M5 to A600 (from the stock A5XX) made it nearly undrivable for me--it wouldn't turn worth a drat without peeling out, and I hardly upped the horsepower, most of those points were in new tires and other handling upgrades!

I'm also in the clueless club. I've been driving an amazing tune that I downloaded but I want to change the tires on it but it's locked. I've tried looking up tutorials but they just confuse me more.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
How do the rival races that you do online work? Most of them are showing 500CR and I've seen people talking in this thread about 50k per event or whatever.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Brace posted:

How do the rival races that you do online work? Most of them are showing 500CR and I've seen people talking in this thread about 50k per event or whatever.

After you do the same one a few times it will go up in value.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Brace posted:

Picking rivals higher up the leaderboard will net you more bounty.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Thanks guys... in other news, I'm pretty much a babby at racing games and I was doing pretty well for my self so I turned on Simulation steering, turned off stability and traction control and... trying to race this Peugeot 908 is... so hard :smith:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Odette posted:

I've only just started glancing at the tuning aspects of this game myself and to be honest, if you don't already have a background in automotives, tuning cars in this game will be absolutely impenetrable. They give pretty excellent descriptions for each setting, but they won't really mean anything to someone who is a complete novice.

That said, when I first dove in I began by using an old Forza 3 tuning calculator which you can use here.

http://www.forzatraders.com/forza-motorsport-3-car-setup-tool

There's two or three options present in FM4 that weren't available in FM3 so it's a bit outdated but it should work well enough until someone makes a FM4 calculator.

Now obviously it isn't guaranteed to give you a magic setup that will instantly reward you with incredible lap times. But it is a tool that can certainly help if you're unfamiliar with how tuning works. These calculations will give you sort of an average "baseline" setup that you can use to further develop your own setup.

Edit: Also here is a pretty nice guide some dude wrote up to help understand what each tuning option does in laymans terms.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/3184546.aspx

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 16, 2011

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Odette posted:

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4877212.aspx

My favorite guide because it not only includes the how but the why. Also the aforementioned tuning calculator is a good thing to get a "base" tune for each car.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Baggins posted:

Remember to tune your F and B class cars for next week guys. Might even be able to keep a car on track for most of the time with some racin' rubber on...

I might be a bit dim here, but when you say to tune up cars, do you mean upgrade them so they are at the top of their performance class and therefore on par with anything else at the cap, or do a parts tuning setup (suspension / alignment / brake balance / aero) kind of thing?

(Or both?)

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Goddrat, my General Lee is a frikken monster.

I love this game.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to beat this Lotus Evora, he's 13th place I think ? and his lap time is 1:32. His is tuned up so it's at 700 rating and I'm using the stock one that's at 694, and he's absolutely dusting me on a straight away, how is this even possible?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
What do you guys suggest using for the A series world championship on Silverstone? I couldn't catch that drat F430 for the life of me :argh:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So I (EnderNerdcore) have annoyed a few of you with mic echo the past few evenings. Turns out, if I try to mute my mic, it just mutes me and then echoes everyone. As long as I don't mute it, it doesn't echo.

Bizarre.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Brace posted:

I'm trying to beat this Lotus Evora, he's 13th place I think ? and his lap time is 1:32. His is tuned up so it's at 700 rating and I'm using the stock one that's at 694, and he's absolutely dusting me on a straight away, how is this even possible?

gearing
or
manual transmission/manual clutch

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

What do you guys suggest using for the A series world championship on Silverstone? I couldn't catch that drat F430 for the life of me :argh:

Why not just buy your own F430 and go wild? It's pretty fun to drive with all the assists turned off.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

A5H posted:

Basically, on that, there's a degree of camber on the front. Degree of toe out on the front. Slightly reduced caster. Stiffened up everything with no bias towards a softer back. As low as possible. Increased diff lock. Higher pressure tyres on front to reduce snap oversteer and that's pretty much it I think.

Wait I thought increasing caster was better for turnin, it definitely helped irl when I got adjustable caster arms but my cars not a skid car.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
I submitted a request to GISH, under tag EnjoyTheSilenc3.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Idiot race posted:

Wait I thought increasing caster was better for turnin, it definitely helped irl when I got adjustable caster arms but my cars not a skid car.

I think irl less caster should give you more response and feel and less stability. That's why I started doing it. Makes the car seem sharper.
Also I lengthened the gears on the hyundai. Gears are a pain in the rear end.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Jeremy Clarkson often insists that the Porsche 911 is little more than just a hopped-up Volkswagen Beetle, and that got me to wondering... could a Beetle be tuned to match the performance of a 911? Well obviously the answer to that is "No, you great idiot, nobody in their right mind would think that's a good idea". So I built this instead.

And by some bizarre fluke, it's not terrible. Sitting at B500 with the turbo inline-4 from a Golf R32 and all wheel drive (25 front/75 rear), it got around the Top Gear track in 1:30.4, which is equal to.... uh, the Golf R32. So I have no idea if I actually accomplished anything, other than waste about an hour fiddling with it.

LLJK garaged, feel free to drive it and then tell me that it's horrible and doesn't deserve to be in the same company as the rest of our illustrious fleet, such as the pink Hello Kitty Jeep Cherokee, the R3 Android-sponsored Ka and that Seat Cupra that has PISS written all over it in huge white letters.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Speaking of beetles, I really hope the 2012 New new Beetle makes it into the game some time. I'd drive a souped up one of those like a motherfucker.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Thinking about plunging for a Fanatec set. So: CSR wheel, CSR elite pedals, and Rennsport stand. Is there anything else I should get?

VVV Ah, forgot about that

SnowWolf fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 16, 2011

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The shifter, silly!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

:frogsiren:If you are not registered to this list by friday you will be kicked from lljk:frogsiren:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Au3ezolOd-59dDFGRWRIV0xZQWVuc1d1UTNfTnJsY3c&hl=en_US#gid=0

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

BlazeKinser posted:

LLJK garaged, feel free to drive it and then tell me that it's horrible and doesn't deserve to be in the same company as the rest of our illustrious fleet, such as the pink Hello Kitty Jeep Cherokee, the R3 Android-sponsored Ka and that Seat Cupra that has PISS written all over it in huge white letters.

I need to stop buying and tuning my own cars and start meandering into the club garage. :v:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

BlazeKinser posted:

I don't know nothing about nothing but I assume you could probably get a little more out of it if you switched from all wheel drive back to front wheel? I don't usually use four wheel drive unless I plan on going S-class or higher but again wtf do I know.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

BlazeKinser posted:

Toss the Tune up on the storefront I'd love to test it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Goddamn I feel like the most smug motherfucker right now. Friend played with the stock ZR1 Corvette, no assists, nada, and was complaining and bitching about how hard it was to control before giving up and selling the one he bought in Career. I loaded up my profile, and ran some laps around Maple Valley Full in my own bone stock ZR1, with no assists and Manual Trans... and spent the entire time drifting and kicking 10 kinds of rear end. Feels good :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

AwwJeah posted:

I don't know nothing about nothing but I assume you could probably get a little more out of it if you switched from all wheel drive back to front wheel? I don't usually use four wheel drive unless I plan on going S-class or higher but again wtf do I know.

The thing is pig heavy as it is and would wheelspin like crazy in front wheel drive. With the AWD setting it has now it just pops off the line with zero fuss and even though it understeers some in tighter corners, it seems to hold up okay.

Odd fact about the Beetle: switching it from front wheel drive to all wheel drive has no impact on its PI rating at all. Weird, huh?

Athanatos posted:

Toss the Tune up on the storefront I'd love to test it.
Done. GT: EddieBischoffJr

There's not a whole lot to adjust really since it's mostly sport parts and this was meant mostly as a gimmick car anyway, but if you think it can be improved somehow I'd be interested to hear. :)

Lyer posted:

I need to stop buying and tuning my own cars and start meandering into the club garage. :v:

You're not really an LLJK member until you've rolled the Goonbus. On a straightaway.

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 16, 2011

• Locked thread