Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

thepopstalinist posted:

re: Marburg It's not enough to get him to hate you - you have to have a reputation for being a smug, "suave" jerkoff. You can choose "suave" for every conversation node you have with him but if you've been playing professional or aggressive before that, he won't bite even if he hates the poo poo out of you, because he'll realize you're playing headgames. This game pays attention.

That is loving insane. This game. I want more like it, having played it, it seems a waste of video games' potential that AP is so unique. Most games are linear gameplay > set cutscene affairs and even games that are considered to react to your choices like Mass Effect are mostly obvious either/or choices in the main story on the same path on every playthrough with self-contained side quests.

Nothing wrong with a focused, linear storyline, of course but given that video games are interactive, it's something of a shame that so few games make your choices and general attitude so far reaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Nothing wrong with a focused, linear storyline, of course but given that video games are interactive, it's something of a shame that so few games make your choices and general attitude so far reaching.
I wouldn't Alpha Protocol's storyline 'unfocused'. 'Unfocused' is more for open-world games like Fallout: New Vegas, while Alpha Protocol still keeps its players focused on a part of sorts.

I know this is more used as something derogatory for games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but I really think that Alpha Protocol is akin to a 'choose your own path' adventure, except with a somewhat enjoyable and varied 'action' part.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

X_Toad posted:

I wouldn't Alpha Protocol's storyline 'unfocused'. 'Unfocused' is more for open-world games like Fallout: New Vegas, while Alpha Protocol still keeps its players focused on a part of sorts.

I know this is more used as something derogatory for games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age, but I really think that Alpha Protocol is akin to a 'choose your own path' adventure, except with a somewhat enjoyable and varied 'action' part.

Heck, AP is probably one of the most focused RPGs out there. Not really like there's a lot of filler missions in the game, huh?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Exercu posted:

Heck, AP is probably one of the most focused RPGs out there. Not really like there's a lot of filler missions in the game, huh?

"Thorton, I will give you the codes to get into the computer system, but first, I want you to bring me the hats of 50 Chinese soldiers."

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Could someone please spoil the poo poo out the Gelato mission for me? I have no idea whats going on

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Vadun posted:

Could someone please spoil the poo poo out the Gelato mission for me? I have no idea whats going on

If the gelato guy gets suspicious of you (because you didn't use the codeword or seemed not to know what you were doing) he'll pull a shotgun on you. He's not just a gelato guy.

cuddlefish
Nov 11, 2003

That was a game.

This is paintball.

Vadun posted:

FOOD POISONING

You can also read this too for the full scoop. :downsrim:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Very true, it doesn't let you wander like a free-roamer but I was thinking more in a sort of way where everyone will have much the same experience in Fallout 3 or GTA, if not necessarily in same order. For all the storyline is focused in AP, a lot of people in this thread are talking in depth about several characters that were never more than peripheral for me.
Basically, for all of Fallout 3's freedom someone could mention a quest and say 'hey, remember the bit where x happens?' and someone else who has done the same quest will know exactly what they mean, whereas in AP someone could mention part of a mission and be met with a blank stare because the other person killed a key character earlier or got a different reaction from other characters due to their reputation. That, for me, is the freedom to influence the game.

Examples: I killed Sis early on and told Albatross to leave me alone. Anyone talking about these characters in depth will lose me. Also, I had Heck hate me so anything to do with him after Taiwan is also lost on me/

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vadun posted:

HORSE COCK EVERYWHERE :gonk:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

El Seano posted:

Yay, subtitles enabled! They were in the main menu options.

Edit: Oh man the ending to the infiltrate the ruins mission in Rome had me laughing "WHEELIE AWAY FROM MY WANTON DISTRUCTION OF ANCIENT HISTORY YEEEEEEEEEEEAUH!!!"

Christ I love this game, it picks up even more once you get to around level 8 and start feeling more like a super powered Spy. I must've put like 5 hours into this game tonight.

The ruins became even more ruined thanks to Mike.

Yellow Rhymer
Jun 17, 2003

etalian posted:

The ruins became even more ruined thanks to Mike.
Mike can be pretty crazy. I just realized that a dickhead Mike with mostly suave replies will pretty much be an "Archer: The Game"

"Dear Steven,
Shut the gently caress up!
Love, Archer"

I'm gonna aim for this on my second run.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just another reminder that this game sorely needs more tuxedos. Even Metal Gear Solid 1, the game that this game is most like gameplay wise, had a tuxedo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yellow Rhymer posted:

Mike can be pretty crazy. I just realized that a dickhead Mike with mostly suave replies will pretty much be an "Archer: The Game"

"Dear Steven,
Shut the gently caress up!
Love, Archer"

I'm gonna aim for this on my second run.

Along with several other people, I've done this.

It is the best thing.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Just another reminder that this game sorely needs more tuxedos. Even Metal Gear Solid 1, the game that this game is most like gameplay wise, had a tuxedo.

Mike does wear a tuxedo in a Rome mission. The sniper one: Identify Jibril Al-Bara at Chateau. You can see it when you open up the PDA and look in the inventory for that mission. If only someone could find a way to make it Mike's model for the entire game.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Okay, I'm running this game on a mid range rig, and it's driving me nuts. I get a perfectly playable framerate of 25-30 while I hold the camera still, but as soon as I move my mouse, the screen freezes and stutters like crazy. Is there any way I can lower the resolution of the textures or turn off the shaders?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Chaltab posted:

Okay, I'm running this game on a mid range rig, and it's driving me nuts. I get a perfectly playable framerate of 25-30 while I hold the camera still, but as soon as I move my mouse, the screen freezes and stutters like crazy. Is there any way I can lower the resolution of the textures or turn off the shaders?

Sounds like you need to turn off motion blur. I believe there's also INI fixes all over the OP of this thread.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
Ok so I've done a pistol/stealth run and a shotgun rear end in a top hat run. What else should I try?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BIFF! posted:

Ok so I've done a pistol/stealth run and a shotgun rear end in a top hat run. What else should I try?

Icy cold professional with martial arts and toughness.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Two-Face run, flip a coin for each mission: Heads you go kill everyone commando style, tails you go non-lethal stealth-master.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mike Thorton: Billionaire Playboy.

Roll a Veteran so you start with more money, sell off your armor because nothing looks as stylish as your super-fancy turtleneck and designer shades, pick only suave responses (even the ones that give you a bad rep and make you look like a creep) because your money makes you think everybody likes you, refuse to use any weapons that are not gold-plated. Any time somebody offers you money in a deal, you have to take it, because holy poo poo money is awesome (so is your own soundsystem and disco ball). If a woman talks to you, you have to flirt with her and do any favors she asks, because Mike's massive ego will not allow him to not try to impress a woman whenever possible.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Just a random question, are Mina, SIE, Madison and Scarlett all the hook-ups? The only other one I could think of would be Sis but the whole not talking and always being around Albatross thing probably means that's not possible.

Finishing up my second run now (being a dumbass recruit specializing in gadgets and assault rifles, focused aim is crap) and I can't wait to get going on my third as a veteran. Going to go for a no-kill run which should be fun.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PTizzle posted:

Just a random question, are Mina, SIE, Madison and Scarlett all the hook-ups? The only other one I could think of would be Sis but the whole not talking and always being around Albatross thing probably means that's not possible.

Finishing up my second run now (being a dumbass recruit specializing in gadgets and assault rifles, focused aim is crap) and I can't wait to get going on my third as a veteran. Going to go for a no-kill run which should be fun.

Yes, also Sis is like 16 you pervert.

\/\/\/tru.dat

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Soonmot posted:

She's asking for it by not being able to ask for it.

wake up princess
Aug 13, 2010
Okay, so question: I had the mouse stuttering issue when I first started up AP, saw the INI fix in the OP, applied it. The stuttering is gone and the framerate is fine, but now everything that's not me is completely black. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

wake up princess posted:

Okay, so question: I had the mouse stuttering issue when I first started up AP, saw the INI fix in the OP, applied it. The stuttering is gone and the framerate is fine, but now everything that's not me is completely black. Anyone know of a fix for this?

Try using this, it's a further-tweaked APEngine.ini compared to the stuff I posted last year

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BFUVCFLK

It's currently set to 1920x1200, so set ResX and ResY accordingly, make sure it's set to read-only, as some games don't like it if you change too much and revert back to default settings

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
This is one of my all-time favourite games. I think the only way to play it wrong is to keep playing it the same way, though if you ever kill Sis you are the worst. You're not playing it totally right, though, unless in Russia you get Brayko's stereo in your safehouse and then do kung-fu in front of your bathroom mirror for like four solid minutes while "Turn Up The Radio" is blaring.

Soonmot posted:

Not that I'm having this conversation, but her dossier suggests late teens / early twenties. Thorton calls her a teenager a lot, but I'm pretty sure that's just how he perceives her—he's like 30 and respectably would not romance someone 18-22.

By the way, will Sis save you from Scarlet, if Albatross is your handler, and you don't kill Scarlet/join up with Scarlet/rescue Mina or do something else to override who saves you?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Zackarotto posted:

I think the only way to play it wrong is to keep playing it the same way, though if you ever kill Sis you are the worst.
Gloating about it to Albatross is amazing though, just because of how insufferably provocative Thorton sounds. "Hell, I'd do it again." :smug:

Not as good as the vodka/hair lines, but everything cannot be such greatness. :allears:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Zackarotto posted:

This is one of my all-time favourite games. I think the only way to play it wrong is to keep playing it the same way, though if you ever kill Sis you are the worst.

I killed Sis and joined up with G22 anyway. When I only used knockouts at the embassy, Albatross sent me an e-mail about how I refused to kill armed men but shot a defenseless kid and how he doesn't understand me.

This loving game.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zackarotto posted:

This is one of my all-time favourite games. I think the only way to play it wrong is to keep playing it the same way, though if you ever kill Sis you are the worst. You're not playing it totally right, though, unless in Russia you get Brayko's stereo in your safehouse and then do kung-fu in front of your bathroom mirror for like four solid minutes while "Turn Up The Radio" is blaring.

Not that I'm having this conversation, but her dossier suggests late teens / early twenties. Thorton calls her a teenager a lot, but I'm pretty sure that's just how he perceives her—he's like 30 and respectably would not romance someone 18-22.

By the way, will Sis save you from Scarlet, if Albatross is your handler, and you don't kill Scarlet/join up with Scarlet/rescue Mina or do something else to override who saves you?

Yeah, that was put in because the internet was already whining about not being able to bang her.

Yeah, if you ally with Albatross, Sis breaks you out and will fire on the goons in the server room. No boat scene.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Oh, I have another question. If you get Heck to really hate you, will he finger you as the assassin instead of Wen? I was really hoping he would, because he says he "kind of likes you" as his reasoning for doing it, but I got him to -5 and it was the same.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Albatross sent me an e-mail about how I refused to kill armed men but shot a defenseless kid and how he doesn't understand me.

Amazing.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Zackarotto posted:

Oh, I have another question. If you get Heck to really hate you, will he finger you as the assassin instead of Wen? I was really hoping he would, because he says he "kind of likes you" as his reasoning for doing it, but I got him to -5 and it was the same.

He does indeed, giving the reason that he doesn't like you all that much. I was in 'animosity' with him, about -8, I think

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Zackarotto posted:

Amazing.

He does, but you need to have completed moscow and have either Albatross or SIE like you. If you don't, he won't screw you over no matter how much he hates you. The game needs you to have a handler for the final mission, and Heck is the only one that you're guaranteed to meet and the one most likely to randomly decide to help you.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dr. Stab posted:

He does, but you need to have completed moscow and have either Albatross or SIE like you. If you don't, he won't screw you over no matter how much he hates you. The game needs you to have a handler for the final mission, and Heck is the only one that you're guaranteed to meet and the one most likely to randomly decide to help you.

He means can't of course.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
Ahaha, this thread convinced me to replay AP again. I'm playing rear end in a top hat Thorton (with extra BEARD), and I love it. Pissing off everyone except SIE, Heck and Brayko, it's magnificent.

My version of the gelato shop had me burst out laughing though:

Thorton: I need to fix the computers.
Gelato Guy: ....Er, we don't have a problem with the computers....
OPTION: EXECUTE
Thorton promptly pulling out a gun and shooting the man for no reason had me in stitches.

Also I managed to confuse the game a bit with Grigori. Somehow, because I didn't attack him straight away, I got the 'Professional' Perk with Grigori. Though again, rear end in a top hat Thorton is the greatest.

Grigori: You want to do business? Sure, what's your price?
OPTION: SMASH BOTTLE

Thorton has absolutely no reason to do this, and it's loving hilarious.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Bought this game because of this thread. It's like Deus Ex and Mass Effect had a baby. Really good for 20 bucks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Also the only one that can't die over the course of the game

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Crappy Jack posted:

Also the only one that can't die over the course of the game

Hong Shi and Grigori also

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that was put in because the internet was already whining about not being able to bang her.
A Sis "romance" was planned but Avellone successfully got it cut. Apparently the only reason that stuff was in the game was because of publisher mandate. Thanks, Bioware!

Most of Obsidian's senior designers seem to really detest romances, come to think of it. Yet another reason why they are the greybeard developer du jour. :allears:

Also there are a couple of clerical errors in the game codex. Leland apparently took control of Halbech in his early teens.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gohuskies posted:

Hong Shi and Grigori also

They aren't potential handlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So wait, this has probably already been covered but can Albatross still be your handler after you pop Sis? I'm assuming he won't show up in the endgame if you do.

• Locked thread