Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

clutchpuck, I have been checking craigslist and ebay and haven't seen an 883 in my price range that isn't older than dirt, and even those are still kind of expensive.

Emphasis on "might" :) That's one of those things that will pop up occasionally and disappear quickly. And like I said, it'll be old and ugly in that price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Emphasis on "might" :) That's one of those things that will pop up occasionally and disappear quickly. And like I said, it'll be old and ugly in that price range.

Speaking of popping up, I checked Craiglist tonight. I sold my bike for $2100 (a fair price) because the guy was hemming and hawing about having to fix a couple small scratches on the gas tank and front fender and wouldn't go any higher, said he wanted to ride it next spring and stuff. I see my old bike listed for $3000 on there, which is kind of high. People suck :(

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

americanzero4128 posted:

Speaking of popping up, I checked Craiglist tonight. I sold my bike for $2100 (a fair price) because the guy was hemming and hawing about having to fix a couple small scratches on the gas tank and front fender and wouldn't go any higher, said he wanted to ride it next spring and stuff. I see my old bike listed for $3000 on there, which is kind of high. People suck :(

S'alright, the guy I sold that nice F2 to awhile back? He crashed it, bought an 05 R6, and has it listed for $500 more than he bought it for. :v:

People suck is pretty much a fact of life! :buddy:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I traded a modded FZ6 with a dude a few months ago and he was placing it's value at 2700, although I hard balled him and got him to agree it was equal to his ~3000 dollar Ninja because it has a PC and some stuff done to it.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/2624165557.html

Just saw he's put less than 200 miles on it, a new tire, oil, and has re-listed it with my pictures for 4000. I guess it's not for him but I don't see how he's not going to be tits up on it with the tire and fluids it needed, other ones that are newer or whatever are going for way less http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/mca?query=fz6&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Has anyone had any experience with the Cleveland Cyclewerks bikes? I am falling very hard for their Misfit and was wondering if it would be a wise move, considering it's my first bike and I'm due to take our equivelant of the MSF in the near future.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I like the 1200R and 1200GS, but like I said, don't see myself being able to afford those currently.

I hadn't looked at the SV650 but I'll take a look at that.

Backov, I can't afford to go over $3k on this next bike. I'm getting married in 9 months and have to be able to pay for that, and my fiancee isn't happy I'm getting another bike anyway.

clutchpuck, I have been checking craigslist and ebay and haven't seen an 883 in my price range that isn't older than dirt, and even those are still kind of expensive.

As long as you go for an R and not the GS, the 1100 with a highway screen would work very well. The R has sensible, easy to handle ergos instead of the weirdness of the GS, so honestly while the weight saving from the 1200 series is nice, the biggest difference you get from "settling" for an old 1100 will be the relative lack of power.

And actually, the ~89hp of the 1100 is just fine for going as fast as you would want to (cops!) on the interstate.

They are great all around bikes actually - once borrowed one around Loudon and it calmly decked out its head covers (it had the plastic skids, never fear) on old-school Dunlop D205s. So until you run out of ground clearance, you can do pretty much anything with the "R".

e: I'd actually go so far as to say that it's the best boxer BMW I've ridden, which includes various versions of the GS, RS, ST, and RT.

Saga fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 14, 2011

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

americanzero4128 posted:

I like the 1200R and 1200GS, but like I said, don't see myself being able to afford those currently.

I hadn't looked at the SV650 but I'll take a look at that.

Backov, I can't afford to go over $3k on this next bike. I'm getting married in 9 months and have to be able to pay for that, and my fiancee isn't happy I'm getting another bike anyway.

I'll say that the 1100 Shadow engine has been around a long time and it has hydraulic valve adjusters so you basically never have to check the valves, and they've been known to go a REALLY long time with just basic maintenance like oil changes and tires.

I think Harley hated the Hondas because they mostly copied the V twin sound and were way more reliable and much more refined in general.

Also if you like standards the Nighthawk 750s are very bulletproof and also has hydraulic valve adjusters. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2641415386.html

I know i've seen some older Suzuki Intruder 800/1400/1500s for around 3k, don't know much about them, I think the Honda is prettier though.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/2639240498.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/2640127196.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

S'alright, the guy I sold that nice F2 to awhile back? He crashed it, bought an 05 R6, and has it listed for $500 more than he bought it for. :v:

People suck is pretty much a fact of life! :buddy:

Hahaha this guy? I knew that picture looked way familiar.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382934

Jesus 2500$ for an F2 is absurd that was pretty much perfect before he dropped/crashed it twice, i'd pay that much for a pristine F3 maybe.

It does really suck that people will destroy good examples of classic bikes :(

I feel like calling him out.

infraboy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 14, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Crashes F2 due to blithering incompetence (well, how else does it happen?)...solution, buy a faster bike.

Moron.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

Crashes F2 due to blithering incompetence (well, how else does it happen?)...solution, buy a faster bike.

Moron.

Just linked in the thread to my for sale thread, where I'm asking $2400. :v:

If he'd updated it with fresh pictures I wouldn't have bothered, but that's some bullshit using year old pictures.

Saga posted:

As long as you go for an R and not the GS, the 1100 with a highway screen would work very well. The R has sensible, easy to handle ergos instead of the weirdness of the GS, so honestly while the weight saving from the 1200 series is nice, the biggest difference you get from "settling" for an old 1100 will be the relative lack of power.

And actually, the ~89hp of the 1100 is just fine for going as fast as you would want to (cops!) on the interstate.

They are great all around bikes actually - once borrowed one around Loudon and it calmly decked out its head covers (it had the plastic skids, never fear) on old-school Dunlop D205s. So until you run out of ground clearance, you can do pretty much anything with the "R".

e: I'd actually go so far as to say that it's the best boxer BMW I've ridden, which includes various versions of the GS, RS, ST, and RT.

I like the R and ST models, although the GS was a nice freeway cruiser too, I like the slightly longer reach to the wide bars. An 1100 R model is a wonderful bike.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

I like the R and ST models, although the GS was a nice freeway cruiser too, I like the slightly longer reach to the wide bars. An 1100 R model is a wonderful bike.

The R owner's buddy had an ST and lent me that after the R. The fairing didn't do it any favours around Loudon, perhaps surprisingly. Of course there's a lot more fairing for cold/wet weather riding, but the R seemed to go better.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Is this a good deal?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2648989670.html

For a relatively tall, relatively heavy beginner who will probably only go short distances but might need to hit the highway occasionally, would this be more or less fun than an older (probably 2000 or older) GS500?

I have always liked sport bikes but I also always assumed that I would die messily if I ever tried to ride one. That seems less likely on a 250, though of course I have no experience either way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alceste posted:

Is this a good deal?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2648989670.html

For a relatively tall, relatively heavy beginner who will probably only go short distances but might need to hit the highway occasionally, would this be more or less fun than an older (probably 2000 or older) GS500?

I have always liked sport bikes but I also always assumed that I would die messily if I ever tried to ride one. That seems less likely on a 250, though of course I have no experience either way.

It's a good deal, but that mod list is a little concerning...amateur wiring is always something to be scared of. But if they're fused properly, shouldn't be a big deal.

I say go look at it and feel it out. It's perfectly acceptable for a "relatively tall, relatively heavy" beginner.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
E: Oops. Moved.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
If it's a fast bike (SuperSport 600cc+, for instance) and you're new to the game, then it would be understandable. But otherwise, I'd show him the cash in hand... if still no go, then I'd walk away.

Riding the used motorcycle you're interested in buying is a must, to see if there are transmission/engine/suspension quirks, or if the bike doesn't fit you at all.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Still trying to puzzle out a good city bike, something lightweight and maneuverable, but with enough power that it can hold highway speeds, or do 2-up for city riding. Still looking for something with close to Standard seating position, or moderate lean, and with a naked/clean/minimalist look. Had a Honda CB250 Nighthawk that got stolen, looking for something vaguely similar and city-handy but more powerful. Have a Triumph Bonneville in storage but just find it too heavy (and top heavy) to enjoy on city streets.

Still keeping the SV650N and the Ducati Monster in mind, both being in that category of Sport bike that leans toward Standard in styling.

Question: would some sort of Dual-Sport or Enduro type bike be a decent option as a city bike and occasional quieter highway? I have zero interest in offroading, but they seem agile bikes, lightweight, upright position. My concern is that I'm really short (5'6", 30"-length trousers) but supposedly the DR650 is accommodating of short people. Other concerns with these type of bikes is how doable 2-up in a city environment is; I see lots of warnings against 2-up on these for trails, but should it be fine on pavement? Also, for the ones that are thumpers/"big singles" will they be incredibly uncomfortable to ride on longer trips between cities?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

DRZ400SM with a decent seat can have a sane seat height and be as comfortable as any other naked on the freeway, as well as being an amazing urban weapon.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

Just linked in the thread to my for sale thread, where I'm asking $2400. :v:

If he'd updated it with fresh pictures I wouldn't have bothered, but that's some bullshit using year old pictures.

He's posted response pictures, all that rash is so sad :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

AncientTV posted:

He's posted response pictures, all that rash is so sad :(

No kidding, that thing was loving mint pre-newb

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I have this guy sending me some more pictures tomorrow. Anything I should ask about specifically? http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2639674217.html

edit: Ah, found a more subdued bike for cheaper here http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2650784732.html

Nitramster fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 15, 2011

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, narrowing down the upgrade/replacement for my stolen CB250 Nighthawk. I'm coming to find that the best combination of classic/minimalist looks, compact/agile, and decent power is probably to do some sort of streetfighter.

The goal again is to have a great city bike for tooling around DC and the surrounding areas, with just enough power to hold highway speeds fine, maybe pass at 80-90mph as needed. No desire for fancy stuff like burning at 150mph, popping wheelies, offroading, etc. Majority city riding and arterials, sometimes 2-up.

I'm short (5'6") and also like light bikes, so my decision right now is: what's a good sport bike that goes naked well, is pretty compact/low, good city bike, and reliable and reasonably common used so I can find a (cosmetic) beater to muck with? I don't want to go as small as a Ninja 250 (35hp), but anything 40-50hp+ and 350-400lb dry would be fine. I really like the streetfighters that lean more towards a Standard sitting position, and my impression is it's common to replace clips with bars, maybe lower the seat, and end up more upright. True? Easily done?

If I have just minimal mechanical experience, am I best off to buy a stock naked model? I thought I could just buy a faired bike and strip the fairings off, but looking at other forums there are "ram air" and other such issues, how some bikes are built with the intention that the fairings keep it running right.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Okay, narrowing down the upgrade/replacement for my stolen CB250 Nighthawk. I'm coming to find that the best combination of classic/minimalist looks, compact/agile, and decent power is probably to do some sort of streetfighter.

The goal again is to have a great city bike for tooling around DC and the surrounding areas, with just enough power to hold highway speeds fine, maybe pass at 80-90mph as needed. No desire for fancy stuff like burning at 150mph, popping wheelies, offroading, etc. Majority city riding and arterials, sometimes 2-up.

I'm short (5'6") and also like light bikes, so my decision right now is: what's a good sport bike that goes naked well, is pretty compact/low, good city bike, and reliable and reasonably common used so I can find a (cosmetic) beater to muck with? I don't want to go as small as a Ninja 250 (35hp), but anything 40-50hp+ and 350-400lb dry would be fine. I really like the streetfighters that lean more towards a Standard sitting position, and my impression is it's common to replace clips with bars, maybe lower the seat, and end up more upright. True? Easily done?

If I have just minimal mechanical experience, am I best off to buy a stock naked model? I thought I could just buy a faired bike and strip the fairings off, but looking at other forums there are "ram air" and other such issues, how some bikes are built with the intention that the fairings keep it running right.

SV650/s

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

invision posted:

SV650/s

Wait, get a SV650S, remove the fairings, lower the seat, and add 'bars... rather than just buy an SV650N?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Wait, get a SV650S, remove the fairings, lower the seat, and add 'bars... rather than just buy an SV650N?

Oh whoops I read that he wanted to replace bars with clipons.

Yeah, SV650N.

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
After 3 months on a GS500 in which I've performed all the maintenance (including an engine swap, then a head swap), I'm looking for something bigger, faired, with a 4 cylinder engine. I found this at my local store:

http://www.ponypowersports.com/showcaseproductdetail.htm?ID=229044&Used=1

I like the thought of having the sporty looks with a somewhat upright pose, and the corbin seat feels so nice when I sat on it.

What does CA think? It's been tipped, "low speed once." And according to the salesman, the owner of the bike is the store owners son.

For reference, with a shorty exhaust, the bike would sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J_GLPvsSKg

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

All dumps are "low speed" according to whomever is trying to sell it. :v:

$3300 for a '94 with body damage? I'd pass personally.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Can you explain "naked" in a bike context?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Splizwarf posted:

Can you explain "naked" in a bike context?

Here are two Suzuki GS500 bikes.

Naked: http://i.imgur.com/eBdCe.jpg

Not naked (that is, 'faired'): http://i.imgur.com/6Hxz9.jpg

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
So it's just the fairing and not all the plastic? Okay. Besides the visual, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Air ducting was mentioned earlier (which I understand as a car nerd); I'd imagine also the risk of burning yourself is higher on a naked bike?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
The fairings on my 2005 GS500F are quite wide, and I live in Canada. With my knees hugging the tank, it actually provides my legs some cover from the cold, biting winds of the great white north.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Naked bikes often (but not always) have dirtbike-style bars instead of clipons and lower/further forward foot controls, giving them a more upright riding position, more comfort and/or better low-speed/city handling at the cost of high speed performance/streamlining. They also may have different cams and sprockets for low-speed torque over high-end hp.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I really like the streetfighters that lean more towards a Standard sitting position, and my impression is it's common to replace clips with bars, maybe lower the seat, and end up more upright. True? Easily done?

Just need to replace the clip-ons. Either get an aftermarket top clamp + risers or just drill the standard top clamp and fit some risers.

I thought I could just buy a faired bike and strip the fairings off, but looking at other forums there are "ram air" and other such issues, how some bikes are built with the intention that the fairings keep it running right.

The only bikes that, off the top of my head, will have issues with removing the stock fairing intakes are older carbed Kawasakis, but it's an easy fix.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I ended up buying the Shadow 1100 over the weekend for $2750. Took it for a ride right after through the country by my parents' house, and wow! This new bike is quite an upgrade from my 600, and is probably more bike than I need. Shifting was smooth, didn't notice any shake at 60+, only complaint is that it doesn't like cold weather at all and needed to warm up for ~5 minutes before being able to ride without the choke in. The bike doesn't have the immediate eye appeal of my other one, but I've got a few ideas in mind to make it more appealing. Already found a set of saddle bags and a tank cover, and I'm looking at replacing the windshield on it or removing it completely.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

So it's just the fairing and not all the plastic? Okay. Besides the visual, what are the advantages and disadvantages? Air ducting was mentioned earlier (which I understand as a car nerd); I'd imagine also the risk of burning yourself is higher on a naked bike?
Slightly higher, I guess. It's not really a major concern in most cases, though. Consider that GS500. Here's a six foot tall person with a 32" inseam on one:

Unless he drops it on himself, he's not going to get burned.

Also I think nakeds look better, but that's a personal thing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

I ended up buying the Shadow 1100 over the weekend for $2750. Took it for a ride right after through the country by my parents' house, and wow! This new bike is quite an upgrade from my 600, and is probably more bike than I need. Shifting was smooth, didn't notice any shake at 60+, only complaint is that it doesn't like cold weather at all and needed to warm up for ~5 minutes before being able to ride without the choke in. The bike doesn't have the immediate eye appeal of my other one, but I've got a few ideas in mind to make it more appealing. Already found a set of saddle bags and a tank cover, and I'm looking at replacing the windshield on it or removing it completely.

If it was sitting for a bit, try a tank of seafoam. It shouldn't take 5 minutes before you have to turn the choke off unless you're riding in ~45 degree temps, unless you've got some gunk in your pilots or old gas in there.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Monster 696, other than the pillion thing. Very light and tiny (by modern bike standards). Hopefully no burning, but with Italian electrics who knows?

How easy they are to get used is another question - depends how much you are willing to spend I guess.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

If it was sitting for a bit, try a tank of seafoam. It shouldn't take 5 minutes before you have to turn the choke off unless you're riding in ~45 degree temps, unless you've got some gunk in your pilots or old gas in there.

It had been sitting for a while, maybe a year or so. My dad's friend was selling it because his son is going to be overseas in the military for a really long time. I've known the guy I bought it from for about 18 years, so I know he isn't going to sell me a lemon of a bike. I'll give the seafoam a shot when I'm home next.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

It had been sitting for a while, maybe a year or so. My dad's friend was selling it because his son is going to be overseas in the military for a really long time. I've known the guy I bought it from for about 18 years, so I know he isn't going to sell me a lemon of a bike. I'll give the seafoam a shot when I'm home next.

Yeah, it's not a lemon thing. Just happens when bikes sit for awhile. Bad gas can also cause the bike to run weird too, so if it doesn't have fresh gas in it, that's the first thing to try.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
After doing a lot more research I'm now looking into SV650's too. I didn't realize that they were standards at first--I assumed that model was a sport bike (based on its looks and the 650 displacement) and didn't consider it a viable option for me. I need to starting feeling and sitting on different bikes now, to learn anything more at this point, so as part of that effort, I'm going to go look at this tonight: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2651173375.html

It's a girl bike, as in it was ridden by and is being sold by a female--does that have any meaning in a motorcycle context (like "lady driven" might for a car)? She says it's "immaculate," properly maintained, and unmolested as far as mods go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Alceste posted:

After doing a lot more research I'm now looking into SV650's too. I didn't realize that they were standards at first--I assumed that model was a sport bike (based on its looks and the 650 displacement) and didn't consider it a viable option for me. I need to starting feeling and sitting on different bikes now, to learn anything more at this point, so as part of that effort, I'm going to go look at this tonight: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2651173375.html

It's a girl bike, as in it was ridden by and is being sold by a female--does that have any meaning in a motorcycle context (like "lady driven" might for a car)? She says it's "immaculate," properly maintained, and unmolested as far as mods go.

It doesn't have a drat bit of meaning. Women riders run the gamut from totally anal about mechanicals to only caring about how their bike looks, just like male riders do.

I also wonder what "low miles" means exactly. But that's a good deal pretty much regardless.