Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

That's awesome, I was thinking about rusting up some cars. I'll be sure to pay your storefront a visit.

SAEG, I present to you our version of the LLJK Fun Bus. This is the SAEG Fun Enforcement Unit.

Oh god thats awesome! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Man, the servers seem pretty craptacular.

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:
Finally got ahold of this drat game today and went ahead and sent a request to GISH since I think LLJK is topped up

Gamertag is UNDERGROUNDSPAZ and I am pretty sure I am on the forzagoon doc.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hnrrgh. I swear, sometimes I think my friends are actual real life pubbies. Who the gently caress chooses a Ferrari 330 P4 as their L30 prize car, then proceeds to paint it black (just like literally every other car in his garage) and put goddamn 19 inch Gram Lights wheels on it?

Guys, why must people be terrible? :(

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Idiot race posted:

Oh god thats awesome! :getin:

We're going live! Come online everybody and join us, SAEG and LLJK alike.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

T1g4h posted:

Hnrrgh. I swear, sometimes I think my friends are actual real life pubbies. Who the gently caress chooses a Ferrari 330 P4 as their L30 prize car, then proceeds to paint it black (just like literally every other car in his garage) and put goddamn 19 inch Gram Lights wheels on it?

Guys, why must people be terrible? :(

I invited a real life friend to a goon game and he turned around and drove backwards to crash into people. I feel your pain.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Brace posted:

So what is a babby that doesn't know how to actually tune up cars supposed to do about this?

1. Remove all the pre-installed upgrades.
2. Install the best tire compound you can without going out of the class you want to keep the car in. This makes the most difference right off.
3. Upgrade the brakes, clutch and flywheel. These only add maybe 3-5 PI if they're all at sport level but the quicker shifts and shorter stopping distance help tremendously.
4. Upgrade the suspension if the car is an older one, or do stage 1 weight redux if it's 1990's or newer. I know older cars tend to be heavier, but a lower, tighter suspension can handle the weight better. Newer cars can shed some weight and not go flying around like an old muscle car will.
5. If you still have some PI left to work with, go back and reapply some of the power upgrades, starting from the left side of the list. Usually air filter and exhaust will fill up what you have left over, but experimenting with different part combinations can get you an extra PI point or two so it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.

That's a very simplified method, but it works a lot better then the game's FAHVE HUNNERD HORSEPAWHR approach. Also don't forget that every upgrade you do can be undone, so don't be afraid to play around a bit and see if taking a different approach works better for a specific car. It it doesn't you can always just uninstall it and try something else.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, what's everyone's favourite car to drive so far? I have to say that my favorites, in terms of fun-to-drive (not necessarily because they're the fastest) are the Ford RS200 and the tiny Lotus (I always forget Lotus names, because they're all too loving similar).

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
It'll never happen in a million years because it's Mircosoft's baby but I would kill for this game to come out on PC.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!

PT6A posted:

So, what's everyone's favourite car to drive so far? I have to say that my favorites, in terms of fun-to-drive (not necessarily because they're the fastest) are the Ford RS200 and the tiny Lotus (I always forget Lotus names, because they're all too loving similar).

I put a GTR engine in a 300ZX; going 200+ in that car is literally the best thing
( Also my Team Bustelo F430 :3: )

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
First of all, I have to say that I love this game, even with a controller. A pro-tip for everyone who has seen ( or heard about ) the film Drive ( by Nicholas Winding Refn ) - try to play this game with Drive's soundtrack blasting in the background. It's bliss, I say!

Oh, and to you livery-painting people... Wow, you guys are good. How long does it take you to do one quality-livery ( on average )? I haven't tried painting myself yet, but that could be something I might lose hours and hours of my time to.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Is putting engines from one car into another limited to cars of the same manufacturer?

Because I'd imagine putting something like a Veyron W16 engine into a Kia Cee'd would be a riot.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PT6A posted:

I'm really digging the Taurus SHO I've tuned. It's a blast to drive.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Can you load a rivals ghost in free play hot lap mode, or do rivals ghosts only work in rivals mode?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

GreatGreen posted:

Is putting engines from one car into another limited to cars of the same manufacturer?

Because I'd imagine putting something like a Veyron W16 engine into a Kia Cee'd would be a riot.

Can't do any cross-brand swaps, no. It's ridiculous enough that you can jam a stock car engine into a Chevy Spark, I couldn't even imagine what kind of black magic you would need to cram a W16 and all the necessary plumbing into a car like that.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is my inability to join a lobby related to the current server problems or is it something on my end?

Maybe it's for the better anyway, I need to get up early tomorrow.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got a question for you guys. I race on one specific track (Camino Viejo Short) to test my cars performance and tunes.

I do this on hot lap mode. I see my best lap time for that session, and I have a ghost for the fastest time in that class.

I want to be able to see a list of my best times. I want at least 10 of my best times to be on record. Is this possible?

Also a general question. Do best lap times that you see posted for Hot Lap, those best lap times didn't have to be from someone playing Hot Lap mode specifically, that can be from pretty much any mode, as long as it was a clean lap, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreatGreen posted:

It'll never happen in a million years because it's Mircosoft's baby but I would kill for this game to come out on PC.

It sucks that they won't consider a PC port, but yeah it would be awesome if it did happen. This is Microsofts flagship Xbox 360 series though and they don't care about PC games anymore.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
The R3 Ka now has some exciting sponsors and an actually very decent (non gimmick) tune. Now time to spend 5 hours getting the ANDROID logo text just right.

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 16, 2011

DonnieJeffcoat
Jul 8, 2005
Salad Prong

BlazeKinser posted:

2. Install the best tire compound you can without going out of the class you want to keep the car in. This makes the most difference right off.
3. Upgrade the brakes, clutch and flywheel. These only add maybe 3-5 PI if they're all at sport level but the quicker shifts and shorter stopping distance help tremendously.
4. Upgrade the suspension if the car is an older one, or do stage 1 weight redux if it's 1990's or newer. I know older cars tend to be heavier, but a lower, tighter suspension can handle the weight better. Newer cars can shed some weight and not go flying around like an old muscle car will.
5. If you still have some PI left to work with, go back and reapply some of the power upgrades, starting from the left side of the list. Usually air filter and exhaust will fill up what you have left over, but experimenting with different part combinations can get you an extra PI point or two so it doesn't hurt to experiment a bit.

That's a very simplified method, but it works a lot better then the game's FAHVE HUNNERD HORSEPAWHR approach. Also don't forget that every upgrade you do can be undone, so don't be afraid to play around a bit and see if taking a different approach works better for a specific car. It it doesn't you can always just uninstall it and try something else.

That's great, I literally came to the thread to ask "how do you decide when to upgrade tires or when to just widen them." Thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ChocNitty posted:

I got a question for you guys. I race on one specific track (Camino Viejo Short) to test my cars performance and tunes.

I do this on hot lap mode. I see my best lap time for that session, and I have a ghost for the fastest time in that class.

I want to be able to see a list of my best times. I want at least 10 of my best times to be on record. Is this possible?

Also a general question. Do best lap times that you see posted for Hot Lap, those best lap times didn't have to be from someone playing Hot Lap mode specifically, that can be from pretty much any mode, as long as it was a clean lap, right?

Any time you get a lap time better than what your current is, it gets put on the leaderboards.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

DonnieJeffcoat posted:

That's great, I literally came to the thread to ask "how do you decide when to upgrade tires or when to just widen them." Thanks.
No prob. :)

Usually I only worry about widening tires if the car is either throwing down huge amounts of torque and wheelspinning like mad, or has stock tires that are so skinny it's impossible to keep the thing stable. Making the tires too fat can actually have a negative effect the rest of the car isn't set up correctly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BlazeKinser posted:

This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping to find today. You are a good man, BlazeKinser.

I feel pretty pathetic because I had a date cancel on me today, and rather than feel bummed out or let down, I just thought to myself, "Hmm, can put some more time into Forza tonight."

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

BlazeKinser posted:

No prob. :)

Usually I only worry about widening tires if the car is either throwing down huge amounts of torque and wheelspinning like mad, or has stock tires that are so skinny it's impossible to keep the thing stable. Making the tires too fat can actually have a negative effect the rest of the car isn't set up correctly.

Should you upgrade the tires only when you encounter wheelspin?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Lyer posted:

Should you upgrade the tires only when you encounter wheelspin?

The tires should almost always be the first thing you upgrade, no matter what. Since the car is only being used for racing and there's no real world concerns like tire life or road legality, there's no reason to not put on the stickiest tires you can get away with. It'll give more grip and improve handling noticeably.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo this game loving owns. I've played Gran Turismo 3 4 and 5, this is my first Forza game and after hearing people jerk off over Gran Turismo for years I was not expecting this game to be so awesome. I'm currently doing the Mercedes SLS autovista challenge over and over seeing how many cars I can PIT. Does anybody have any recommendations on what cars to get as the career progresses? I started with the Toyota but I've yet to touch it

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

BlazeKinser posted:

The tires should almost always be the first thing you upgrade, no matter what. Since the car is only being used for racing and there's no real world concerns like tire life or road legality, there's no reason to not put on the stickiest tires you can get away with. It'll give more grip and improve handling noticeably.

Whoops, I meant in terms of widening them. I slap on the slicks first chance I get. :v:

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
As a general rule is it a good idea to have wider, larger tires in a rear engine vehicle and smaller tires in the front?

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Anybody want to make this and a diamond plate pattern for me?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

AwwJeah posted:

As a general rule is it a good idea to have wider, larger tires in a rear engine vehicle and smaller tires in the front?

Allot of RWD/Midengine/Rearengine cars have staggered tyres. However you dont want to have too narrow a tyre in front compared to the rear or it will get understeery. Unless your dragracing where you can just have skinny fronts and widewide rears.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

BlazeKinser posted:

Where do they usually install the upgrades? And by that I mean where should I look for these upgrades to remove them?

And by "best tire compound" do you mean the one that gives the highest boost in rating or whatever it's called?

Brace fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 16, 2011

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Pees With Boner posted:

Holy poo poo this game loving owns. I've played Gran Turismo 3 4 and 5, this is my first Forza game and after hearing people jerk off over Gran Turismo for years I was not expecting this game to be so awesome. I'm currently doing the Mercedes SLS autovista challenge over and over seeing how many cars I can PIT. Does anybody have any recommendations on what cars to get as the career progresses? I started with the Toyota but I've yet to touch it

The game will be throwing cars and credits at you like crazy once you start going through career mode, so really just buy whatever catches your fancy and don't sweat it too much. You'll definitely want a couple muscle cars though, they're a riot at stock and can later be tuned to actually be pretty competitive at higher levels.

Lyer posted:

Whoops, I meant in terms of widening them. I slap on the slicks first chance I get. :v:
Ah, okay. Usually I leave tires at stock width unless the drive wheels just refuse to grip, then I'll widen the tires by two ticks all around. If it still doesn't work, then that's usually a sign to scale back on the engine power if possible and try to improve the car elsewhere. Superwide tires don't help if there's still too much torque to keep them from grabbing the road properly, after all.

Brace posted:

Where do they usually install the upgrades? And by that I mean where should I look for these upgrades to remove them?
Check every section, the game usually tries to increase tire width, upgrade every engine part and then goes kind of scattershot on the rest. It won't change your wheels or add on aero, and I don't think it installs a new differential either. Just set everything that's been changed back to stock and start from there.

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 16, 2011

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

SAEG represent! You guys are a blast to race with. Especially now that people are actually starting to get their own builds out there.

Being able to have more than 8 cars on the track is just what this game needed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can just press start at the upgrade screen and reset the car to stock. No need to search for parts. And tires might not always be the best thing to do. If the car has no power in the first place, you might want to look into increasing that if it already turns well. Just drive a car stock and see what it does and what you want it to do. No one is going to tune every car the same, and you shouldn't. Tune it to how you like to drive. If you like to always be gripping the road, up the tires and be careful with power. If you like to slide through corners, forget about tires and just add more POOOOOOWEEEER.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Hey dude who tuned the RX7 in the GISH garage: Good work. I did pretty well with it (2nd / 12, 12 laps on the Hockenheim Ring, 2:08 best lap)

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

The most fun I've had driving so far is with a customized Datsun 510 swapped with the biggest engine possible, tuned to just under the maximum for A-Class, but retaining the original skinny-rear end wheels. it's so light that is accelerates and brakes like mad, spending roughly half the race on two wheels

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Cojawfee posted:

You can just press start at the upgrade screen and reset the car to stock. No need to search for parts. And tires might not always be the best thing to do. If the car has no power in the first place, you might want to look into increasing that if it already turns well. Just drive a car stock and see what it does and what you want it to do. No one is going to tune every car the same, and you shouldn't. Tune it to how you like to drive. If you like to always be gripping the road, up the tires and be careful with power. If you like to slide through corners, forget about tires and just add more POOOOOOWEEEER.

That's pretty much why I tell people "this is how I do it" and not "this is the correct way to do it". I've found it works alright for people who are new to the game and aren't used to it, but eventually everyone's gonna figure out how they want the cars to react and how to make them react that way.

And since it's now even less of a concern to get it "right" immediately since there's no need to grind for hours to buy parts, hopefully folks will be more open to just playing around and seeing what works. :)

Daft chunK
Jan 23, 2008

Wut

Jarf posted:

SAEG represent! You guys are a blast to race with. Especially now that people are actually starting to get their own builds out there.

Being able to have more than 8 cars on the track is just what this game needed.

Theres meee in the neon Orange VW Fox!! :toot: racing with SAEG and LLJK (its cool LLJK, you can come over any time to chill with the masters of chill racing :c00lbert:) getting invites chucked my way when Im logging on and Multiplayer is 900% more fun than the single player regular races, admittedly I'm horrifically crap but its far more enjoyable.

also, SAEG, we need more B500 and F200 and some awesome A class cars, some (most :( ) of my cars are pretty bad and Im already a bad driver, bad cars don't help :shobon:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

My E-class racer :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I borrowed a friend's 360 and was so excited to download and play the demo and OH HEY loving TERRIBLE MUSIC YOU CAN'T TURN OFF. Maybe I'm dense and I missed that option.

Oh well I guess I'll have to buy this as soon as I can.

One thing that bugged me though is how it seems, compared to Forza 3, your viewpoint is further away from the dashboard. I always drove F3 in cockpit view and used the in car gauges but I can hardly make them out in 4. I'm guessing there's not a way to switch to the view used during the pre-race rev...thing?

• Locked thread