Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kenshin posted:

Not exactly, but when you're in Buy mode it will put a little garage icon on the cars you already own, so you can just go through each manufacturer one-by-one and buy any cars that don't have that icon.

That's how GT5 does it, and it works out just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Is there a way to use club cars in events or do I have to use my own? I;ve been looking for a way but haven't found one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's not even that hard, go into buy cars, hit grid mode, hold the right trigger and scroll over everything to select it, then hit A. it brings up every car for sale, the cars you have will have a garage icon.

Also, hit the right trigger and click on every car you don't have and hit A, and boom, it buys em all at once(assuming you have like 118 million dollars)

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gahhhhh stupid network errors. Every time I get an invite it is like a slap in the dick because I can't connect to you guys today :cry:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's a good wireless headset? Can you not use a normal bluetooth headset with the Xbox?

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Raced the A-class Datsun 510 in the GISH garage and that thing is a ton of fun. I managed to roll it and come in last place, but it was still a blast.

Thanks to whoever made that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Like everything xbox, there is something proprietary. Just use the regular headset, I've heard the wireless one isn't that great.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Like everything xbox, there is something proprietary. Just use the regular headset, I've heard the wireless one isn't that great.

My dog ate it :(

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Cojawfee posted:

I had much better luck with the wireless one over the regular headsets, their leads seem to die every so often very easily.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's a good wireless headset? Can you not use a normal bluetooth headset with the Xbox?

Maybe get that new dual-mode Xbox wireless headset. It lets you use it as a wireless mic for gaming, and doubles up as a Bluetooth headset for your phone. Because... yeah. :wtc:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Whats up with the AI in world tour? Same car, same PI, and the AI just smokes me, they disappear in the horizon at the start like they were a class above me. Seems to happen mostly in class A and S from what I've seen so far, haven't had the same problem with the lower classes.

And is it just to apply for the SAEG club or should I send someone a message on xbl first?

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

Ziploc posted:

Ziploc posted:

How do I remove a car from a car group?

EDIT: Not club, group.

Anyone?

I suspect no one has answered you because no one knows what the gently caress you are talking about. Car group rather than your club, what is that?!

Powershift posted:

It's not even that hard, go into buy cars, hit grid mode, hold the right trigger and scroll over everything to select it, then hit A. it brings up every car for sale, the cars you have will have a garage icon.

Also, hit the right trigger and click on every car you don't have and hit A, and boom, it buys em all at once(assuming you have like 118 million dollars)

Or you can do it the easy way and go to search and hit 'x' for "List all Cars" which lists all cars in ascending order by PI.

crazkylo posted:

Is there a way to use club cars in events or do I have to use my own? I;ve been looking for a way but haven't found one.

You have to use your own, club garage is limited to Rivals events and Online racing.

alr
May 14, 2009
Anyone know if the fire out of the exhaust is based on total power output, or if it's to do with certain upgrades? I've been building/tuning a lot of A class cars recently and been favouring the high weight/power cars over the lighter, less powerful ones simply because of the exhaust sounds and fire effects. My ~500hp Pantera shits them out a fair bit, and if it's stripped back to around 400hp it doesn't do it at all, so I'm wondering if it's just related to total power, or exhaust/fuel line upgrades etc.

With regards to the sound bug where the speakers "pop", yeah I'm getting that too, even on the menus. Definitely not the exhaust effects.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
Surprisingly the DeLorean is fun to drive when its upgraded. Right now its S class and uploaded to the LLJK garage.

Current look and actually tuned to not understeer as bad as it did as stock settings so its actually drivable through corners.

Goon race with the version I just slapped huge turbos on and painted pink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidLsLDHEek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUBSV0dKJG0
Goons can't race.

Edit- bonus turn 1 clusterfucks

MaNiAk fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 17, 2011

DirtyWorker
Jun 19, 2004

What is Afrika.. You can not comprehend, what afrika is!
Added some codes in my thread for the Subaru Impreza WRX STi if anyone wants.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
How dare you paint a DeLorean.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Brace posted:

Manual shifting is so difficult, is there any way to get used to it or a tutorial or anything?
Practice is the only thing that will really help here, especially if you don't have a driver's license or only drive autos IRL :)

Upshifting really shouldn't be too difficult to figure out; for most cars once the tachometer hits the red zone, shift up. After a while you may even be able to do this from the engine note alone, though don't get too hung up on that at first - it will come from alone anyway. If you hear the revlimiter engaging, you were too late. Nothing really more about it.

Downshifting can be a bit trickier. Generally you'll want to complete all downshifting during the braking phase of a corner, so that you then can navigate the corner entry without upsetting the car needlessly and can accelerate from the corner apex without having to find the right gear first.

Finding the right gear for a corner and how to downshift during braking is something that you'll only learn from practice and general experience with the car and track. Generally speaking, the correct gear to accelerate out of a corner is the lowest gear that is still useful. If you start accelerating and you are already at the redline or don't get more than about one second of acceleration out of the gear you're in, it was too low, so use the next higher one. Which gear to actually use for each corner is something that you'll memorize as you learn the track. Note that if you use the racing line it might be a good idea to turn that off, as it will prevent or at least greatly hinder you from properly learning the track in the first place. Once you know a track you don't need to somehow magically determine the required gear, you'll actually know from memorization that the upcoming corner has to be taken in for example 3rd gear. I don't think the Nordschleife is a good track for that, especially if you can barely complete a whole lap - it is very difficult to learn and drive. I'd actually recommend finding a short and easy track, something that you can quickly memorize so you can work on your lines and shifting without wondering what the next corner might be. As you gain experience with a car and its gearing, you'll be able to better judge which speed corresponds to which gear, making it easier to learn new tracks as you'll have a feel for roughly what gear you need for a corner without actually having driven it before.

As for the downshifting itself, once you know which gear the corner needs to be taken in, it becomes more of a rhythm thing than anything else. As you start braking, or slightly after, you simply downshift at a certain rate until you're in the right gear. That rate depends on the car, but basically just space the downshifts so that you finish the last shift shortly before you start turning into the corner. Don't downshift too fast, though, or you might damage the engine/gearbox by overrevving and could also end up locking the driven wheels due to the engine braking in addition to your normal braking being too much for the tires to handle.

After you get to know a track intimately, you won't even think about which gear you need to be in for a certain corner. It will just so happen that you'll always approach corner X at for example 5th gear but need 3rd gear for it, so what you'll actually memorize is that you need two downshifts for that corner. In the end driving on a track will just be replaying different motions out of your muscle memory rather than actively thinking about anything, really.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

drat you pandaaaaaaa :argh:

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

For the people that drive Manual w/clutch using a Controller, what button layout are you using?

Default with LB and I couldn't downshift while under braking at all - have to wait until I hit the correct speed, then quickly shift down two/three gears which just feels slow. Changing up gears was fine though. On the other hand, using A as the clutch had the complete opposite problem, downshifted fine, upshifting not - either was fat fingering Y while holding down A/X or missing A completely and changing up with no clutch in at all.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

SirViver posted:

I'd actually recommend finding a short and easy track, something that you can quickly memorize so you can work on your lines and shifting without wondering what the next corner might be.
Laguna Seca might be a good option. Lap times are less than two minutes a throw for most cars, and 80% of the corners require some sort of shifting (depending on the performance of the car).

Also:

ElwoodCuse posted:

TrampolineBear
You need to add me on XBL so I can send the license plate your way!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Thanks very much, Dirtyworker!

Falken fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 17, 2011

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
What advantage would manual clutch give you anyway? Just an extra button to hold when shifting gears right? Seems like it'd be worth it if it offered any significant advantage?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I've been doing some major tweaks to the Vauxhaus VX220 after learning a thing or two about tuning and upgrades.

Besides a sexy new paint job (and a scorpion decal because a scorpion makes any car better), I bumped it down to A class and focused on enhancing its handling since she was already a beast off the line.

Now on paper it has the highest stats of any A-class car sitting in the LLJK garage, but I still feel like it handles a little stiff.

I've made tuning adjustments to tire pressure, break balance, and a few alignment tweaks and I've definitely made improvements from the default settings but I still feel like it could shine better around tight corners.

Could someone who is better at reading the telemetry maybe take it for a few laps and tell me where they think adjustments need to be made? If you're feeling generous?

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

DiabloStarCraft posted:

What advantage would manual clutch give you anyway? Just an extra button to hold when shifting gears right? Seems like it'd be worth it if it offered any significant advantage?

It makes you faster, especially in a straight line.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Mootallica posted:

Default with LB and I couldn't downshift while under braking at all - have to wait until I hit the correct speed, then quickly shift down two/three gears which just feels slow. Changing up gears was fine though. On the other hand, using A as the clutch had the complete opposite problem, downshifted fine, upshifting not - either was fat fingering Y while holding down A/X or missing A completely and changing up with no clutch in at all.
A is just the way to go. If you can't make that layout work I'm not sure it's going to happen for you.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

drat you pandaaaaaaa :argh:

That was, by a large margin, my favorite race so far.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Ghetto Blaster posted:

DiabloStarCraft posted:

To clarify, it makes you faster because Forza introduces artificial shift delays to "auto" and "manual w/o clutch" shifting, meant to reward players who use the most difficult shifting mode. The main reason you *should* want to use it is in my opinion simply flair and immersion :)

In reality you wouldn't have a choice between shifting modes in the first place, and most performance/racing oriented auto (lol) or sequential gearboxes would actually give you faster shift times than you could ever hope to achieve with the classic stick shift anyway.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 17, 2011

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Drawbacks are it's a bit hard for soccer as you need to use reverse.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ghetto Blaster posted:

I tried to use the manual/w clutch again last night with the clutch where the handbrake usualy is. I end up with my thumb at an angle to cover the clutch button which means it cramps up after a while, I think i've got retard hands or something :(

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Idiot race posted:

I tried to use the manual/w clutch again last night with the clutch where the handbrake usualy is. I end up with my thumb at an angle to cover the clutch button which means it cramps up after a while, I think i've got retard hands or something :(

It's worth getting used to manual/w clutch it's only one press is you cover both clutch and the gear change with your thumb.

Cragz
Jun 16, 2005
Too orangey for crows!
Apologies for missing out on all the SAEG events I've been invited to! My router's not playing nicely with the 360's NAT settings and I'm sick of being unable to join or being dropped half-way through pubbie races. Never happens with any other games ...

Scatterfold posted:

gt: pissboy spastic
As immature as this might paint me, I laughed out loud when I saw your GT on the Star In A Reasonably Priced Car leaderboard. Excellent.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm really annoyed that rivals mode requires a gold subscription and also an internet connection. As a dude with a terribly unreliable internet connection (and therefore I'm not renewing my gold subscription) this really sucks. What's wrong with letting me do the challenges without the rival ghosts? I don't care about the rival bounty and poo poo, I'm racing the clock you fucks! :(

Also, loving gently caress let me turn the ghosts off in rival mode. It's very distracting. Split time would do just fine, thanks.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm really annoyed that rivals mode requires a gold subscription and also an internet connection. As a dude with a terribly unreliable internet connection (and therefore I'm not renewing my gold subscription) this really sucks. What's wrong with letting me do the challenges without the rival ghosts? I don't care about the rival bounty and poo poo, I'm racing the clock you fucks! :(

Also, loving gently caress let me turn the ghosts off in rival mode. It's very distracting. Split time would do just fine, thanks.

Rivals doesn't require gold. You can get to it from Go Race in the career mode. My daughter had been doing it without gold.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Day Man posted:

Rivals doesn't require gold. You can get to it from Go Race in the career mode. My daughter had been doing it without gold.

Oh, well now I feel silly. Thanks! :)

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

Yeah, I really wish I could see my own ghost as well. I know how my rival is taking the turns, let me see where I hosed up last lap!

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

xelpmoc posted:

Raced the A-class Datsun 510 in the GISH garage and that thing is a ton of fun. I managed to roll it and come in last place, but it was still a blast.

Thanks to whoever made that.

Yes! I made that thing and saw you racing it in the GISH race last night

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

I agree, the ghost can be very annoying. It is very useful for analyzing where you lose or gain time, but for actually beating the time it's just a distraction. If it always stayed transparent it'd be more tolerable, but having an opaque car faffing around in front of you can be disastrous for hotlapping.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!

Could "Cute as heck" get an invite to SAEG, pretty please?

blodycoughbynewport fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 17, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zinjnok posted:

That was, by a large margin, my favorite race so far.

That was insane. I can't believe we raced that close for so long without one or the other messing up and making contact with each other/the wall.

I still have no idea where you pulled that run from coming out of that last corner :psyduck:, but it was drat impressive. I'll also have a video up of the finish when I get home so the other goons who were there can see what we were laughing about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I'm addicted to buying designs

• Locked thread