Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The rusted ones are really amazing looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

The rusted ones are really amazing looking.

I applaud the effort, but it doesn't look anything like a real rust bucket.

The BMW looks pretty cool, but the golf is hilariously over the top.

Hopefully some future Forza game lets use pre-bend body panels so we can make truly authentic piles of poo poo.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Brainwrong posted:

I'm addicted to buying designs

This is really good, but matte vinyls would go a long way towards making it actually look dirty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If we could get dirty looking and cracked windows, that would look even better.

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.
Hahaha holy poo poo. So I went for a spin the the SAEG goon bus and had been using cockpit view, decided to switch to chase cam to see how funny it looked and good christ. You can't see ANYTHING. The screen is literally mostly Hummer.

Also, someone brought it up before but the Nurburgring Radical rivals challenge is absolutely mental. The sense of speed is just... :stare:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish we could get an Ariel Atom, that would be absolutely insane on the Nurburgring.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have a really tough time driving S or faster cars on the ring.. I get so paranoid about dirtying my lap, by the time I hit Adenauer Forst I'm braking early and taking corners slower than I could be.

On the other hand, if make an early mistake (such as using too much curb in the Hatzenbach area), I can drive with no fear and easily cut 20-30 seconds off the lap time.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

I said come in! posted:

I wish we could get an Ariel Atom, that would be absolutely insane on the Nurburgring.

Funny enough, I just picked up the latest Top Gear magazine (thank you Barnes & Noble for not just having trashy American car mags), and in Clarkson's editorial he mentions the V8 Atom as having really nasty understeer at speed.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This and a Reliant Robin are pretty much my dream DLC. Maybe some caravans.

buffalotrot
Apr 7, 2009

Aren't you a little tall for a Stormtrooper?
When you clutch, does it act like a real clutch in the way that you don't want to release until after the gear change? I've noticed that I can just twitch both buttons at the same time and get a perfect shift, yet later in a race, I do the same and it grinds, damaging the gearbox. Then when I try to hold the clutch down and shift like you would normally do in a manual car, I either over rev and damage the engine, or it works perfectly.

I guess I just don't know what I'm doing wrong/right in this case. I can't figure it out because its not a consistent thing that happens.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trap Star posted:

This and a Reliant Robin are pretty much my dream DLC. Maybe some caravans.

Atom won't happen in a Forza game until they deal with the "open wheel" issue. The game isn't set up to handle suspension animation, the tires in the game now are just floating circles that articulate on an invisible joint.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

General Probe posted:

I suspect no one has answered you because no one knows what the gently caress you are talking about. Car group rather than your club, what is that?!

I think he's talking about the car groups you can create for your car listing in grid view.

And to answer the question: The only method to completely unassign a car is to delete the group. Move the car to a temp group first, then delete that group.

Edit:

And someone sent me a Bluesmobile license plate. I appreciate the effort, but on the car in question neither front nor back allow for liveries in any of the places a license plate would be. In fact, the whole front is completely unworkable, and in the back the best one could do is to slap it on the trunk.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 17, 2011

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

buffalotrot posted:

When you clutch, does it act like a real clutch in the way that you don't want to release until after the gear change? I've noticed that I can just twitch both buttons at the same time and get a perfect shift, yet later in a race, I do the same and it grinds, damaging the gearbox. Then when I try to hold the clutch down and shift like you would normally do in a manual car, I either over rev and damage the engine, or it works perfectly.

I guess I just don't know what I'm doing wrong/right in this case. I can't figure it out because its not a consistent thing that happens.

I just try to hit both buttons at the same time while letting off the gas trigger for a split second (for an upshift).
Having said that, is it really necessary to let off the gas? It's hard to tell if it affects my speed, though I can certainly tell from sound. The engine never gets damaged either way so I dunno.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

quackman posted:

I just try to hit both buttons at the same time while letting off the gas trigger for a split second (for an upshift).
Having said that, is it really necessary to let off the gas? It's hard to tell if it affects my speed, though I can certainly tell from sound. The engine never gets damaged either way so I dunno.

It matters in the real world, the game doesn't care though.

Using a button (that is, non analog) clutch in FM3 was a pretty common cheese tactic to get some extra speed, and it doesn't appear to have improved any in FM4. Many of the leaderboard drivers made use of it to shave time.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

quackman posted:

Based on how I drive my lovely little Mazda 3 in real life, yes it is necessary to take your foot (finger) off the gas, if only for a split second, while clutching and shifting.

Don't forget to use your downshifts to assist in braking, either. Someone posted a little while ago about using brakes to brake (duh) but most of the time light braking mixed with 2-3 downshifts is enough to slow me down to corner-taking speed

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One thing I miss about Gran Turismo 5 is that in the external view, the camera is welded to a point in the air relative to the car as opposed to Forza's view where you can see the car rotate around a little bit as you turn, which makes it hard to get a feel for the weight shift of the cars. Although anybody who actually cares about that sort of thing won't be using the external camera, but still.

Also, being able to adjust the cockpit's camera so that the instrument cluster is closer to the camera and takes up more screen real estate would be pretty great as well. Currently the gauges look like they're more for show than utility because they're so small on the screen.

edit: wow, thanks BlazeKinzer and real_scud for the responses!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 17, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The bigger issue with the instrument clusters is none of them are lit, and are perpetually in shadow.. which means I still have to keep the HUD speedo turned on.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

GreatGreen posted:

Also, being able to adjust the cockpit's camera so that the instrument cluster is closer to the camera and takes up more screen real estate would be pretty great as well. Currently the gauges look like they're more for show than utility because they're so small on the screen.
You can adjust that by going to the options and setting your game up to do multimonitor, even though you don't have a second one hooked up you can actually get a wider POV angle so you end up getting closer to the gauges.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

GreatGreen posted:

The multiscreen workaround might help. If you enable Multiscreen in the options and reduce the FOV it should move the camera closer to the steering wheel. People would actually use this to move the camera back in F3 because the default view was way too close and made some cars really hard to see out of in cockpit view.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Falken posted:

Jarf, got any screenshots of the Nurburgring GP and Norschlife races?

I didn't save the replay from that one unfortunately.

Who wanted the Mobil 1 logo again? It was for a silver RS500.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 17, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GreatGreen posted:

One thing I miss about Gran Turismo 5 is that in the external view, the camera is welded to a point in the air relative to the car as opposed to Forza's view where you can see the car rotate around a little bit as you turn, which makes it hard to get a feel for the weight shift of the cars. Although anybody who actually cares about that sort of thing won't be using the external camera, but still.

Really? I actually prefer it the other way. Lets me see how the car is reacting. GT5 is the only game I know with a chase cam like that. Including many sims.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ziploc posted:

Really? I actually prefer it the other way. Lets me see how the car is reacting. GT5 is the only game I know with a chase cam like that. Including many sims.

Huh. I guess I just feel more aware of what's going on by being directly connected to the direction my car is facing.

Different strokes!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So I unlocked the "phrase" Mr. Apex for my Forza Badge Thingy, and now it reads:

aphex
Mr. Apex

with the Aussie flag, because they don't have an Argentine flag what the crap? Does Juan Manuel Fangio mean nothing to you people?

Also: most cars don't have paintable headlights, right?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

captainOrbital posted:

Also: most cars don't have paintable headlights, right?

Just older muscle cars with the racing front bumper attached, from what I can see.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

I said come in! posted:

That's how GT5 does it, and it works out just fine.

Problem with that is I cant look at it while I am in the auction house.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, lljk filled up again, so if someone who has the ability to approve requests could accept me in GISH I would greatly appreciate it.

I have to say I'm starting to get a little disappointed in Season Play. Apparently there are five more levels to go, and they get progressively longer, and the game is already locking me into A class and above. What is this poo poo? I thought Turn 10 said that the game would let you race events based on cars you had selected in season play so that you could spend more time racing the cars you liked. Am I wrong?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

What is this poo poo? I thought Turn 10 said that the game would let you race events based on cars you had selected in season play so that you could spend more time racing the cars you liked. Am I wrong?

Maybe I'm missing something but are you talking about career mode? I'm at Expert or Pro level (can't exactly remember) but I'm still able to compete in E or F-class races along with the A-R3 ones that pop up.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

I just randomly switch around which car I'm in and it varies up the race offerings enough that I can get 'something' i'm in the mood for.

Sorry for ignoring so many invites btw - I'm on a borrowed really lovely internet right now and it's just isn't as fun. Hopefully I will have new internets by the end of the week.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

I didn't save the replay from that one unfortunately.

Who wanted the Mobil 1 logo again? It was for a silver RS500.

I've got some

Everyone survives the first corner! (apart from those bollard things)

Saving it for the second :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trap Star posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but are you talking about career mode? I'm at Expert or Pro level (can't exactly remember) but I'm still able to compete in E or F-class races along with the A-R3 ones that pop up.

Yeah, career mode. I switch cars to E or F and all it ever gives me are A class and above. It's starting to get pretty annoying. The last time I got to race something of a lower PI it was D class in a multi-class event.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, career mode. I switch cars to E or F and all it ever gives me are A class and above. It's starting to get pretty annoying. The last time I got to race something of a lower PI it was D class in a multi-class event.

I definitely see more A-S class races now but certainly still see the occasional F-B class races, too. Maybe you're just having bad luck with some sort of random number generator? I don't think they limit participation to A-class or above if that's what you think is happening.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Hey guys, just got back from a terribly timed vacation, and I'm ready to dive in to Forza 4. Could I get an invite to GISH? It'd be awesome to have some rival times to run against as well as people to race online.

Edit: Gamertag is "Eperitus"

I won't be online tonight, but I'll throw a request at the club when I get a chance.

MalleusDei fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 17, 2011

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Trap Star posted:

I definitely see more A-S class races now but certainly still see the occasional F-B class races, too. Maybe you're just having bad luck with some sort of random number generator? I don't think they limit participation to A-class or above if that's what you think is happening.

Guess I'll have to chalk it up to bad luck then. I just selected my D class MR2 and the lowest it would give me was a B class race.

Oh yeah, for the GISH invite my GT is Doctor Nutt and I'm on the spreadsheet.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Try selecting classes other than what you want to drive too. Along with various styles of cars. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. I wish there was a way to 'continue this series' or 'stay in this class' option for a few rounds. I like to start with a car and then tune it as I progress through a series.

Last night I got stuck with only choosing from R3 Super Speedway Races on some lovely loving oval. I was livid. I loving hate the Super Speedway Races. Once I finished that the options opened up a lot more though and I was able to have fun races again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Minimaul posted:

Try selecting classes other than what you want to drive too. Along with various styles of cars. It's kind of a pain in the rear end. I wish there was a way to 'continue this series' or 'stay in this class' option for a few rounds. I like to start with a car and then tune it as I progress through a series.

Last night I got stuck with only choosing from R3 Super Speedway Races on some lovely loving oval. I was livid. I loving hate the Super Speedway Races. Once I finished that the options opened up a lot more though and I was able to have fun races again.

I mean, it's not that I don't like racing a variety of cars. It's just that I spend so much time on a car upgrading, tuning, and painting it, and then in career mode I get to use it for all of three races before the game decides I'm done racing it. Umm, thanks?

Honestly this is pretty much my only gripe so far, so overall the game is still amazing.

e: And gripes aside, taking my F50 out for the S Class Track Day event was pretty drat fun. I am in love with the Bernese Alps tracks.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Career is pretty much just an afterthought anyways.. it exists only to build up your garage and credit stash, preparing you for the real game, which is multiplayer.

Be nice if they put in a real single player story someday, but I can see why they don't bother.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Oh, I know what you mean. While I appreciate that Turn10 is trying to breakup the monotony the option to at least choose to stay in my class/car would be nice instead of forcing me into building another car for some race I'm going to race once then repeat the cycle. I don't want retune/rebuild my car every race, I want to get it solid in the class then move on. Once I'm done with the 10 seasons I'm going to work on the Event List from then on out, just like I did in FM3.

I still like World Tour, but just a tad bit more flexibility would have been nice.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Is GISH invite only? Because if so I would love an invite. Otherwise I will send some poo poo when I get home.

GT: aphex
I'm also on the spreadsheet, and I am usually online around 10pm Central time

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Finally got Forza to upload my replay properly so without further ado we can finally see who was at fault in a crash between AdamH1mself and myself on the Indy speedway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoJFB9wD08

I maintain that neither of was at fault, he moved into my blind spot and I was trying to get back on the line and when put each other into the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

He (the Ford, right?) put himself into the wall trying to go outside and he hit you. it's the job of the person overtaking to do it properly. he failed his line and over taking and it took you (the bimmer) out. Plus he didn't have full control of the car.

• Locked thread