Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Minimaul posted:

Last night I got stuck with only choosing from R3 Super Speedway Races on some lovely loving oval. I was livid. I loving hate the Super Speedway Races. Once I finished that the options opened up a lot more though and I was able to have fun races again.

About once or twice a season it'll have you do a pre-defined "special" event, usually halfway before it sends you to the world championship round. They're pretty predictable.

Also, I just now noticed that if you select the season progress option it gives you a list of all the tracks you'll be racing at in that season, so if you know that a certain race series takes place on those tracks you can kind of plan ahead with what you'll be using. Makes things easier than just fumbling around the garage randomly for five minutes before each race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, keeping the gas pedal jammed to the floor is not the best way to get rolling again. :haw: Spinning the tires that long, they were probably red hot, which makes recovering even more difficult because your grip is poo poo.

Let off a bit (well, a lot) until you get some momentum back, and then resume racing.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Asked this in IRC but I'll ask here too.

I bought a Wireless Speed Wheel (which is honestly really good if you don't mind playing auto, like I do) and I want to attach it to the housing of an old Logitech wheel that has fallen into disuse. That way I get a functional wheel for sub-100 dollars. :cool:

My plan is to cut off the current wheel and stick the wireless wheel to the steering column. However I want to figure out a way to do this that a) doesn't hurt the wireless wheel and b) will have enough structural integrity so that it doesn't come flying off mid-race.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Does anyone know why ForzaMotorsport .net isn't updating my stats? It still has me at level 23 when I am now level 32. I've tried logging in and out on 2 computers and it doesn't seem to be an issue at my end.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Minimaul posted:

He (the Ford, right?) put himself into the wall trying to go outside and he hit you. it's the job of the person overtaking to do it properly. he failed his line and over taking and it took you (the bimmer) out. Plus he didn't have full control of the car.
Which brings me up to something. Last night a bunch of us in LLJK were racing and Commrade Flynn I'm going to slightly call you out to mostly help others.

If you're in a race and it's a serious one, ala actual laps around a track with non-comedy Goon Bus options, and you see someone behind you clearly having more speed than you simply pick a side of the road and stick to it.

If you happen to round a corner and you're on the inside going to the next corner, stay in your lane and let the other person pass. Even if you're slightly ahead of them it's not a smart idea to try to swerve into their lane to cut them off. Because unless you've got your entire car in front of them you'll only serve in PIT'ing yourself by turning into their front end. Ideally you should let them pass and hope that in them attempting to pass you they'll compromise their next corner and if you've set yourself up then you can re-pass them since you have a better line. Getting a back and forth like that is some of the most exciting racing you can do.

That's why Flynn after about 2-3 races everyone kept hitting you on straights, because no matter if someone had more speed than you, you did everything to block them repeatedly. People will only take it for so long until they get frustrated at being held up by you that they'll smash you off the road.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

BlazeKinser posted:

About once or twice a season it'll have you do a pre-defined "special" event, usually halfway before it sends you to the world championship round. They're pretty predictable.

Also, I just now noticed that if you select the season progress option it gives you a list of all the tracks you'll be racing at in that season, so if you know that a certain race series takes place on those tracks you can kind of plan ahead with what you'll be using. Makes things easier than just fumbling around the garage randomly for five minutes before each race.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I certainly done hate World Tour mode, but I'm not madly in love with it either. Then again, not much really else you can do with it for this style of game. I can usually have good races throughout a season with an occasional stinker now and then - like the R3 Speedway Race. At least I get a bunch of money and Affinity bonus for it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I give people two verbal warnings before I unleash the bumper cars.

Just because some doofus picked a muscle car and he can't keep it pointed the right way doesn't mean he gets to use up the whole track, denying more nimble cars a chance to pass. If I get stuck behind one of these guys, I wait for them to go a bit sideways, then tap 'em in the rear end. Problem solved.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I generally just stay the hell away from people. If you're ever behind me, just give it a few corners and I'll eventually take myself out.

I can hot lap decently enough, but I suck at driving in a pack so I usually take it easy cause I'm a sissy.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Minimaul posted:

Yeah, it's not too bad. I certainly done hate World Tour mode, but I'm not madly in love with it either. Then again, not much really else you can do with it for this style of game. I can usually have good races throughout a season with an occasional stinker now and then - like the R3 Speedway Race. At least I get a bunch of money and Affinity bonus for it.

I can kind of see what they were going for, taking the approach of guys like Tony Stewart who will race in just about any series they can, simply because they happen to be in town and have a car that they can jump into. The implementation needs a lot more polishing and it still feels a bit pointless, but at least it's a lot less of a grind than F3's season mode.

At least now that I know in advance what tracks are coming, I can use the next season to blow out all those one-make races in one go and get a nice fat bonus for it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

real_scud posted:

Which brings me up to something. Last night a bunch of us in LLJK were racing and Commrade Flynn I'm going to slightly call you out to mostly help others.

If you're in a race and it's a serious one, ala actual laps around a track with non-comedy Goon Bus options, and you see someone behind you clearly having more speed than you simply pick a side of the road and stick to it.

If you happen to round a corner and you're on the inside going to the next corner, stay in your lane and let the other person pass. Even if you're slightly ahead of them it's not a smart idea to try to swerve into their lane to cut them off. Because unless you've got your entire car in front of them you'll only serve in PIT'ing yourself by turning into their front end. Ideally you should let them pass and hope that in them attempting to pass you they'll compromise their next corner and if you've set yourself up then you can re-pass them since you have a better line. Getting a back and forth like that is some of the most exciting racing you can do.

That's why Flynn after about 2-3 races everyone kept hitting you on straights, because no matter if someone had more speed than you, you did everything to block them repeatedly. People will only take it for so long until they get frustrated at being held up by you that they'll smash you off the road.
This is why I say it's both of our faults, I saw him behind me going into that turn but had no idea where he was after (I use cockpit view). When he was behind me he was far enough away that I felt I could make a clean merge to the proper line and I really didn't expect him to catch up as fast as he did.

Granted, I should've checked again coming out of the turn and noticed that he was either up my back trumpet or not in my rear view (and therefore next to me) and not made the move over, but at the same time passing on the inside would've been the safer option for both of us, especially considering the small space he had to squeeze through before I even moved over.

As for the full throttle thing. I know, it was a pure spur of the moment "GO! GO! GO! MAX POWER! GET BACK IN THE RACE!" that I really didn't care about anything else. I think more than anything else I need to stop with my super aggressive racing style. It screws me over so many times from either dive bombing into corners, or pushing the braking point far past what I can recover from, to moments like that.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Idiot race posted:

I've got some

Awesome pics i want to do more F200 tonight, also C class so i can drive my new Renault 5 turbo.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

real_scud posted:

:words:

Yeah, abandoning the racing line just to block somebody who's about to overtake you is assholeish and dangerous since half the time it results in both cars flying off the track since people aren't experienced enough. However this...

xzzy posted:

Just because some doofus picked a muscle car and he can't keep it pointed the right way doesn't mean he gets to use up the whole track, denying more nimble cars a chance to pass. If I get stuck behind one of these guys, I wait for them to go a bit sideways, then tap 'em in the rear end. Problem solved.

..is also a dick move too. If someone in front is having difficulty controling their car, deliberately pitting them is just as bad in my opinion. Anything where you're deliberately trying to block or hit someone is uncalled for and if someone in front of me can't control their car properly then I pick the right opportunity to pass them, not mindlessly ram them off the road. I thought the whole point of Goon races was to avoid pubbie behaviour like that.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Here's my first go at taking a picture and uploading it to forza:

The Mercedes that allowed me to get in 4th place for once!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

As for the full throttle thing. I know, it was a pure spur of the moment "GO! GO! GO! MAX POWER! GET BACK IN THE RACE!" that I really didn't care about anything else. I think more than anything else I need to stop with my super aggressive racing style. It screws me over so many times from either dive bombing into corners, or pushing the braking point far past what I can recover from, to moments like that.

I'm sure most of us know, I just see it so often (and do it myself) I figured it was worth making a talking point out of it.

I've gotten pretty good about being a patient racer. Sometimes it's to my own detriment because I'm not aggressive in cases I should be, but typically if I focus on avoiding collisions and clean laps, I can climb 4-5 positions by outlasting opponents. If longer races were common, I imagine I'd do even better.

It's also quite fun to loom in a guy's rear view mirror, and watching him slowly unravel. Keeps trying to take corners faster and faster, sliding a bit more each time, until he cracks and stuffs it into a wall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

..is also a dick move too. If someone in front is having difficulty controling their car, deliberately pitting them is just as bad in my opinion. Anything where you're deliberately trying to block or hit someone is uncalled for and if someone in front of me can't control their car properly then I pick the right opportunity to pass them, not mindlessly ram them off the road. I thought the whole point of Goon races was to avoid pubbie behaviour like that.

I thought I made it clear I only do it after warning them a couple times that they're blocking me. If they're too drat proud to yield the track to someone who is clearly faster, eventually they lose the benefit of the doubt.

If the car is too much to handle, get the hell out of the way of people who are waiting to drive.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Anyone know how to prevent vinyls from being fuzzy/pixelated once you apply them?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Doctor Butts posted:

Here's my first go at taking a picture and uploading it to forza:

The Mercedes that allowed me to get in 4th place for once!

Really dark colored cars don't look so hot in the TG studio because of the lighting. The hangar background works best for those because it has clean, bright lights that make black and dark gray cars look extra classy.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Awesome pics i want to do more F200 tonight, also C class so i can drive my new Renault 5 turbo.

Whats your GT? I need to have some dinner and then maybe a lil bit of racing if anyone else is on mebbe.

There was a guy who wanted me mr2 tune yesterday clutchoid? I'll put that up on my storefront with a SAEG tag.

Also is there anyone who could make the following as vinyls? I'm no good at this painting lark.

edit: oh yeah i've got the hang of manual+clutch, god i'm killing the ai with this so bad I might have to turn it off. It still makes my thumb hurt a bit because I think I must be holding the controller like a retard.

Edit: ffs the forza server is loving up again :argh:

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know how to prevent vinyls from being fuzzy/pixelated once you apply them?

Avoiding scaling them seems to help a little bit. You can't completely eliminate it though, it's a flaw of all the shapes being converted from a bunch of layers into a single image.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Idiot race posted:

Whats your GT? I need to have some dinner and then maybe a lil bit of racing if anyone else is on mebbe.

GT= Tommy SA

It would be nice to get some LLJK players in too to pad the lobby out a bit.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Minimaul posted:

I can hot lap decently enough, but I suck at driving in a pack so I usually take it easy cause I'm a sissy.

A-loving-men. I feel your pain. Best races for me are when there are minimum five laps where I have time to hopefully make my way onto the podium from back in the midfield.

I think I actually get TOO worried about bumping or causing an accident and ends up getting passed by those who just don't give a gently caress where their poo poo is pointed at.

xzzy posted:

It's also quite fun to loom in a guy's rear view mirror, and watching him slowly unravel. Keeps trying to take corners faster and faster, sliding a bit more each time, until he cracks and stuffs it into a wall.

If anyone wants to beat me - this is how you do it.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

pvax posted:

A-loving-men. I feel your pain. Best races for me are when there are minimum five laps where I have time to hopefully make my way onto the podium from back in the midfield.

I think I actually get TOO worried about bumping or causing an accident and ends up getting passed by those who just don't give a gently caress where their poo poo is pointed at.

Yeah, I do that too. I try to sit back until things get less cramped then I'll work my way up. I don't always win - or even come close, but I get some decent races in mid-pack and don't cause many wrecks.

Plus I can set clean lap times. Ha!

Snowbird
Sep 8, 2006

Idiot race posted:

I've got some

Thanks! It's so weird to see yourself in "photos" that somebody else took yesterday in a virtual place that we were together in. But I really love those F-class races, those get my palms sweat more than anything.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I can't wait until the rush of people dies down a bit. The server load is painful. I can barely even check the leaderboards without having to fight my way through painfully long waits and server unavailable messages.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

So - World Tour mode has slowly morphed into the "Boost affinity to level 4 - Next!" game for me. It's gets me messing around with more variety and cars that I might have ignored for longer and free parts are the best parts.

I also have the bad habit of going to the AH every time before I level and buying at minimum 1 extra of the various reward car choices for about a 1/10 of their dealership cost.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

MustardFacial posted:

Finally got Forza to upload my replay properly so without further ado we can finally see who was at fault in a crash between AdamH1mself and myself on the Indy speedway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtoJFB9wD08

I maintain that neither of was at fault, he moved into my blind spot and I was trying to get back on the line and when put each other into the wall.

That was me, and the reason I start swerving there isn't because I lost control of the GT but rather because I realized too late you were gonna keep swinging out the the edge of the track a little too late and was trying not to hit you in the rear fender to make you spin out (which ended up happening anyway...)
That being said at the time I did see it as being your fault at the time but upon further review I should have just let off the gas for a sec and taken you on the inside.

Oh and it's really annoying that the servers are constantly making GBS threads the bed.

General Probe fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 17, 2011

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Jarf posted:

I can't wait until the rush of people dies down a bit. The server load is painful. I can barely even check the leaderboards without having to fight my way through painfully long waits and server unavailable messages.
Seriously. Every time I actually think of something I want to do (rivals), that's when they poo poo themselves. Also hopefully once the rush dies down, we can try to condense the clubs a bit. It's kind of unfortunate that the release timing means that most regions are segregated due to the club member limit.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Applied to GISH under GT Im A GPS Facial

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)

xzzy posted:

I don't know if it's just me ,but the AI seems a bit more prone to making mistakes under pressure. 3 times now I've been chasing someone down and they've overcooked it or braked too late into a corner and understeered off into a wall, with no other contact. Certainly don't remember it happening that often in F3.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Bagpuss_UK posted:

I don't know if it's just me ,but the AI seems a bit more prone to making mistakes under pressure. 3 times now I've been chasing someone down and they've overcooked it or braked too late into a corner and understeered off into a wall, with no other contact. Certainly don't remember it happening that often in F3.

It happens also when a AI driver is chasing another AI driver. I've seen it twice where I've been in 3rd place and saw the 1st/2nd place AI's take a dive because they were too aggressive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lyer posted:

It happens also when a AI driver is chasing another AI driver. I've seen it twice where I've been in 3rd place and saw the 1st/2nd place AI's take a dive because they were too aggressive.

It's hilarious when this happens because when they gently caress up, they gently caress up BIG. None of that "slide into the sand trap and slowly re-enter the race" stuff. It looks like they mash the pedal to the metal and dive bomb the wall as hard as they can.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
For some reason I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this game. I desperately want to drive the RS2 and Sport Quattro (as GT5 doesn't have them). Can someone attempt to convince me? Maybe post some more sweet F4 photos!

...And dare I ask about a Forza 4 vs. GT5 comparison? (obviously GT5 is a true to life sim where Forza 4 is more arcade oriented)

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

azerdude32 posted:

For some reason I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this game. I desperately want to drive the RS2 and Sport Quattro (as GT5 doesn't have them). Can someone attempt to convince me? Maybe post some more sweet F4 photos!

...And dare I ask about a Forza 4 vs. GT5 comparison? (obviously GT5 is a true to life sim where Forza 4 is more arcade oriented)

You should try playing it for yourself. Get the demo or go to a friend's house or something. We can tell you how amazing it is but until you hear that Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster engine roaring away whilst you do 50+ laps in one sitting trying to beat your friend's time in Rivals mode you probably won't quite believe us when we say how good it is.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Jarf posted:

You should try playing it for yourself. Get the demo or go to a friend's house or something. We can tell you how amazing it is but until you hear that Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster engine roaring away whilst you do 50+ laps in one sitting trying to beat your friend's time in Rivals mode you probably won't quite believe us when we say how good it is.

Trust me, I'd take a fellow goon's word for it. What is making me contemplate it so much is the incredible detail and attention that Turn10 put into the car sounds.

I also think it isn't helping my purchase decision as I need a new HDD considering mine literally took a huge poo poo. :smith:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here is my horrible, horrible Datsun 510 paintjob:
http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=879040&full=true

The game doesn't let me run a single horizontal stripe from front to back, it curves along the fender to the hood/bumper area. If I try to rotate or skew it, the whole thing gets thrown off. How am I supposed to make this work? use two separate layers, one for the rear to the door hinge, and a second for the fender?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm really dissapointed Turn 10 doesn't let me exercise my inner "dubber" and make every one of the VW's I own lay frame with a roof rack and a set of Merc fat fives :(

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Bentai posted:

Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here is my horrible, horrible Datsun 510 paintjob:
http://forzamotorsport.net/Handlers/GetPhoto.ashx?id=879040&full=true

The game doesn't let me run a single horizontal stripe from front to back, it curves along the fender to the hood/bumper area. If I try to rotate or skew it, the whole thing gets thrown off. How am I supposed to make this work? use two separate layers, one for the rear to the door hinge, and a second for the fender?

I've had the same problem, and as far as i can tell using multiple layers is the only solution.

Edit: But in the picture you posted you could just move the green line down so it doesn't taper off at the end.

Ghetto Blaster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 17, 2011

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

azerdude32 posted:

Do you have an Xbox 360? There's a demo up on the marketplace that you can download and play. Comparisons are pointless though since they'll always be made by people who have bias one way or the other, just decide for yourself what you like best and have fun.

Also don't just download the Forza 4 demo, but download the Forza 3 demo too (and the demo for Forza 2 if it's still up). The main reason I say this is just so you can see more of the tracks, since the FM4 demo has the Bernese Alps, the FM3 demo has Camino Viejo and if I remember correctly, the FM2 demo had the Mugello track? Obviously the physics and graphics in the older games aren't very good compared to Forza 4 but it's a nice way to see a little chunk of the content that the game provides.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Holy poo poo gently caress pubbies. I've just taken part in my first public lobby and in both races I've been taken out by rear end hats in muscle cars or just anybody that thinks I'm going to overtake them.

Sod it, I'm gonna start a private race. Anybody that wants to come race A class with me hop online.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

MUFFlNS posted:

Do you have an Xbox 360? There's a demo up on the marketplace that you can download and play. Comparisons are pointless though since they'll always be made by people who have bias one way or the other, just decide for yourself what you like best and have fun.

Also don't just download the Forza 4 demo, but download the Forza 3 demo too (and the demo for Forza 2 if it's still up). The main reason I say this is just so you can see more of the tracks, since the FM4 demo has the Bernese Alps, the FM3 demo has Camino Viejo and if I remember correctly, the FM2 demo had the Mugello track? Obviously the physics and graphics in the older games aren't very good compared to Forza 4 but it's a nice way to see a little chunk of the content that the game provides.

Yes, I do have a 360, however my HDD is not working and I need a new one, thus I cannot go on Live currently or download anything. So I guess I just have to bite the bullet and buy the game.

• Locked thread