Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

xzzy posted:

I give people two verbal warnings before I unleash the bumper cars.

Just because some doofus picked a muscle car and he can't keep it pointed the right way doesn't mean he gets to use up the whole track, denying more nimble cars a chance to pass. If I get stuck behind one of these guys, I wait for them to go a bit sideways, then tap 'em in the rear end. Problem solved.

Ahahaha. Aha. Haaa. Yeah, who would pick a muscle car in a race full of nimble little sporty things, especially on, say, Circuit de Catalunya or Fujimi Kaido? That's... That's just crazy.

... I'm still proud of finishing second with my Plymouth GTX on that Circuit de Catalunya race I did with some of the LLJK guys in C425 cars though. That was loving awesome.

Speaking of which, I'm sad because my XBL Gold trial already ran out and I can't accept the invites you guys are sending me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
Applying to GISH under GT ROOMBA floorvac.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

azerdude32 posted:

...And dare I ask about a Forza 4 vs. GT5 comparison? (obviously GT5 is a true to life sim where Forza 4 is more arcade oriented)

Here's what I'll say about this.

I bought GT5 on release day. I've had a really good time with the game but I also acknowledge it's numerous faults. Load times, the idiotic paint chip system, the grinding, the general way the game seems like it actively tries to keep you from having fun, etc. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that Forza 4 kicks the complete crap out of GT5 in almost every way that matters.

From one GT5 owner to another, here are some things you might like about F4:
- The Career Mode conforms itself to you and the cars you choose to drive, not the other way around like in GT5.
- The game absolutely shits money and cars and other rewards at you constantly. Grinding nowhere near as necessary.
- At any time, you can drive any car in the game on any track layout in the game, against other similarly capable cars or hot lapping it by yourself, for fun, and it costs you nothing.
- At any time, you can paint any car you own any color you can imagine. Or you can also just choose from a simple menu of only the colors available to that car from the factory if you want to keep things authentic. You can do this as often as you like, for free.
- As far as I can tell, the customization and tuning system is at least as deep as GT5's provided you have the right upgrades. Oh, except here you can enable a mode that lets you press pause while driving, open the tuning menu, tune your car, then unpause and try it out the adjustment in real time.
- Photo Mode is available during the race through the pause menu. And although the tradeoff is that it's not nearly as deep as GT5's photomode, it's no slouch. Look through this thread and see for yourself.
- The sounds of the cars in Forza absolutely destroys GT5's sound design. It's not even close.
-Getting rated on speed and individual turns and drafting is cool and makes you feel like the game is always acknowledging how good you're doing.
- There is a goddamn Reverse Time button you can press at any time if you mess up, like say for example if you stay in 1st place 90% of a race then fudge the last corner.

There's probably more, but that should do for now. I honestly don't think I'll be going back to GT5. This game is just too much fun and does so many things so much better than GT5 could ever hope to do, and there's nothing I miss about GT5 that's worth not playing Forza over. Oh, and the load times are so short you hardly even notice them, especially if you install both discs. Even the physics engine is a riot. Drafting is incredibly easy and fun. Muscle cars in this game are great. And again, the sounds alone put the driving experience leagues above GT5's.

Things GT5 does better than Forza 4:
- cockpit cam's instrument cluster is easier to read
- photo mode

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 17, 2011

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I've been nervous about trying this online (aside from the rivals mode, which I've found really entertaining.) I'm mostly worried about being the guy that gets in everybody's way on the track. I have a hard time seeing the track when there are a lot of cars on it, so what usually happens is I take a really bad line when I'm in a pack, they pass me, then I can just focus on the line and get caught back up to repeat the process. Any advice for fixing this?

The last thing I want is to be the stupid newbie that ruins everyones' fun. I remember I probably did a bit of that back in Forza 3. :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

azerdude32 posted:

For some reason I can't convince myself to pull the trigger on this game. I desperately want to drive the RS2 and Sport Quattro (as GT5 doesn't have them). Can someone attempt to convince me? Maybe post some more sweet F4 photos!

...And dare I ask about a Forza 4 vs. GT5 comparison? (obviously GT5 is a true to life sim where Forza 4 is more arcade oriented)

If you like GT games, you'll like Forza games.

If you enjoy sim-like video games with driving and racing, you'll absolutely love Forza because it's a shitload better at being an enjoyable sim-like video game with racing and driving than GT5 is.

GT5 takes higher marks in the "5 minute long piano intro", "Six button presses when one would do", and "Haha holy poo poo is this Lotus on lubricated wooden tires or what the gently caress" departments, but Forza is hands down more fun as a gaming experience and the physics models in both are sim-enough to be high quality in the driving feel regard.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GreatGreen posted:

GT5 v. Forza 4 :words:

Thank you very much, that was exactly what I was looking to hear/read about the two games.

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you like GT games, you'll like Forza games.

If you enjoy sim-like video games with driving and racing, you'll absolutely love Forza because it's a shitload better at being an enjoyable sim-like video game with racing and driving than GT5 is.

GT5 takes higher marks in the "5 minute long piano intro", "Six button presses when one would do", and "Haha holy poo poo is this Lotus on lubricated wooden tires or what the gently caress" departments, but Forza is hands down more fun as a gaming experience and the physics models in both are sim-enough to be high quality in the driving feel regard.

Thank you as well.

Looks like it's time to take a trip to EB Games to spend money I shouldn't!

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have both GT5 and Forza 4. I burned out on GT5 really quickly because I couldn't afford anything fun. The noticable differences from what I've seen are GT5 has much better lighting effects and the tracks look better, and Forza has a sweet livery editor and gives you a ton of cars to mess with. The menus in Forza are sort of retarded in their own way but once you figure them out it's not a problem. In all I don't think "arcade-like" is the right way to describe Forza, and people describing Forza as more "arcade-like" than GT turned me off of the series because when I hear "arcade-like" I think Burnout, Midnight Club, Test Drive, etc. Basically Forza has a minigame where you knock over bowling pins on the Top Gear track, Gran Turismo has a minigame where you try to pass as many VW Buses as you can in your VW bus on the Top Gear track. It's not really more arcade-like, it's just more fun.

Anyway, can someone offer some tips on how to do the manual with clutch? I'm hitting the gas, releasing the gas+hitting the clutch, shifting, letting go of the clutch+hitting the gas and it's working fine but there's still a grinding noise. I can't imagine that's a good thing?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

maverick99 posted:

Applying to GISH under GT ROOMBA floorvac.

Hey buddy! We need to real race sometime.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

"Haha holy poo poo is this Lotus on lubricated wooden tires or what the gently caress"

I've found that you can get this in Forza 4 if you get the Tesla and quick-upgrade it to optimize it for A class.

It feels like I'm driving on ice.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone else been (seemingly) screwed over in the auction house by the server problems? If so, do the background sorcerers eventually correct the error or am I out of luck until I contact Turn 10 over the issue?

I logged in moments ago and saw I had the winning bid on a stupid car that had been eluding me for some time. Since the server problems seemed to be a thing of the past (no problems Sunday or today thus far), I proceeded as normal. I deleted the message and clicked to resolve the auction.

Things timed out and the error window forced me back to the main Community menu. Up until now, when this occurred, nothing out of the ordinary happened: I was simply booted but had the car, etc. This time, my credits were gone -- as they should be -- but the vehicle is not in my garage.

tl;dr: I won an auction but, after a server crash, seem to have lost the car. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did it correct itself over time?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gran Turismo 5 is good, but the Forza series has been the best racing sim on consoles since it first came out in 2005. Microsoft has done a great job with this series, and it helps that they have deep pockets and were making racing sims for the PC, long before Forza came out.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've found that you can get this in Forza 4 if you get the Tesla and quick-upgrade it to optimize it for A class.

It feels like I'm driving on ice.

Yea if you turn too hard you ARE going to spin out.

Will wait till I'm at lvl 4 affinity with the damned thing to tune it right.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Just got Forza 4 and a 120gig HD for $20. That was a steal.

I'm recovering my Live Account now, any goon's wanna goon it up?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Aah man I only got this game today, a few hours ago, don't even have an A car, and so I picked a factory car, and I was racing on a track I havn't seen before, and the sun was in my eyes, and

I'll do better next time, Jarf. :unsmith:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Scratch what I said about not having XBL Gold, just found a special, $2 for 2 months. Righteous. HumpDumper, et. all, feel free to invite T1g4h to multiplayer races again :D

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did I miss something or am I restricted to the car/track combinations in the event list for traffic races? Meaning I can't just pick my E30, D class traffic and Nordschleife, for example? Because if so gently caress THAT.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

GhostDog posted:

Did I miss something or am I restricted to the car/track combinations in the event list for traffic races? Meaning I can't just pick my E30, D class traffic and Nordschleife, for example? Because if so gently caress THAT.

press start on the event list screen for a difficulty screen that lets you force all ai to stock cars & remove upgrade limits for races

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Got my A class car, a DeTomaso Pantera 8)

It's so awesome it makes Ferrari's loving explode when they see it coming!

Currently uploading the video to this, it has to be the most spectacular single car crash I've seen yet.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do I import my forza 3 profile to my forza 4?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

NomNomNom posted:

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do I import my forza 3 profile to my forza 4?

It asks you when you start up the game the first time, if it can find a valid profile (that is: owned by the gamer tag you're logged in with).

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

When you boot up the game for the first time it should ask if you want to. Profiles must be on the same gamer tag and FM3 needs to be driver level 1 or higher.

dammit. beaten, like my wife.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Thanks for the quick reply, I guess my profile isn't valid since I transferred it from an old hdd.

My GT is CylindricCube if anyone wants to race.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

bich posted:

press start on the event list screen for a difficulty screen that lets you force all ai to stock cars & remove upgrade limits for races

That only seems to open up class-based restrictions, all other restrictions (make, model, drivetrain etc.) still apply.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I haven't seen any mention of it in the last few pages, so sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered.

Late last night I was racing with some pubbies and during the car select screen one of them picked a Noble M600. He changed to something else before the race started, so I didn't get to see the actual car, but that's the first I've seen mention of any Nobles in the game. Is there already some DLC content that's been released? Has anybody else seen these? Was it just a sleep deprivation hallucination?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

NomNomNom posted:

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess my profile isn't valid since I transferred it from an old hdd.

That's odd, I transferred mine from an old HDD the day before I got Forza 4 and it worked fine for me.

You positive it's not corrupt/you're on the same gamertag?

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pees With Boner posted:

Anyway, can someone offer some tips on how to do the manual with clutch? I'm hitting the gas, releasing the gas+hitting the clutch, shifting, letting go of the clutch+hitting the gas and it's working fine but there's still a grinding noise. I can't imagine that's a good thing?

Nevermind it was hosed up because I had simulation damage on and had gone two laps hitting the handbrake thinking it was the clutch

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Alright lady and gentlemen, dice racing is now unlimited.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ihop posted:

I haven't seen any mention of it in the last few pages, so sorry if I'm asking a question that's already been answered.

Late last night I was racing with some pubbies and during the car select screen one of them picked a Noble M600. He changed to something else before the race started, so I didn't get to see the actual car, but that's the first I've seen mention of any Nobles in the game. Is there already some DLC content that's been released? Has anybody else seen these? Was it just a sleep deprivation hallucination?

It's a VIP car. Us Normie scrubs don't get it.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
You don't get it yet that is.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
When watching a replay can I have it either show good racing action, or randomly switch cars? I have to keep switching car cameras manual and I know I am missing good poo poo.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So last night I tried driving the SSC UltimateAero with all assists turned off. Holy gently caress that thing is just ridiculous. Full throttle acceleration gives you wheelspin and sideways action even in fourth gear at 150kph+. Absolutely no chance I can drive that thing with a controller.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Why is rivals mode so addictive? I just spend drat near two hours going for Reasonably Priced Car rivals. Topped out at number one for a few, until hello_spaceman had to go and beat my by two hundredths of a second :argh:

At least I'm still in the top one percent...

...in the world. :c00l:

E:

It's a drat shame you can't change the color of the chrome. I want a lime green Impala with gold trim and dayton wheels :snoop:

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
On a whim I decided this past saturday would be new game day. I waltzed into my game store and to my surprise forza 4 dropped this week! I am giving the wireless speed wheel a go, how do you guys justify spending $500+ on peripherals?!!? I'm sure it must be real real awesome, but drat. That a lotta bux for one game.

I see people selling tune packages on the auction thing, how reputable/good are those?

I assume the most downloaded ones are worth the 10k credits?

I would also like to get in on LLJK or GISH.

GT:BinaryDoughnut

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

^^^: The thing about the Fanatec wheels are that they pretty much work for all platforms, PC/PS3/Xbox. I have this hang up too about dropping that much money on it, but considering I bought almost every single racing sim in this past year and have dumped a considerable amount of time and gotten tons of enjoyment out of it I can see why people don't hesitate about getting one.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Whats the best way to get in touch with fellow goons? I have a Mac and can't really IRC chat (or I can, I just don't know of a way).

Also, I'm going to apply to LLJK or GISH. Gamertag: azerdude32

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

azerdude32 posted:

Whats the best way to get in touch with fellow goons? I have a Mac and can't really IRC chat (or I can, I just don't know of a way).

Also, I'm going to apply to LLJK or GISH. Gamertag: azerdude32
The club system makes it really easy to race with us. At any time you can just invite your online club members to the game you're in. Usually there's a room or two going just for LLJK. I'm constantly getting invites when I'm playing single player.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

DrPain posted:

On a whim I decided this past saturday would be new game day. I waltzed into my game store and to my surprise forza 4 dropped this week! I am giving the wireless speed wheel a go, how do you guys justify spending $500+ on peripherals?!!? I'm sure it must be real real awesome, but drat. That a lotta bux for one game.

I see people selling tune packages on the auction thing, how reputable/good are those?

Also the basic fanatec setup (CSR/Porsche Wheel + the porsche petals) are like $300 for what its worth.

Mine are coming in tomorrow...can't freaking wait!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

When I try to save a tuning setup it says my save file is corrupt and I should delete it and try again? WTF. I'm not starting the game again.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

A5H posted:

When I try to save a tuning setup it says my save file is corrupt and I should delete it and try again? WTF. I'm not starting the game again.

Go to your dash then settings or whatever the memory, then forza4 then look for the save file that has the "!" next to it and says corrupt. That's the one that you need to delete. If it's your save file, you're hosed. If it's a different one (like tuning file) you'll lose that tune but nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

DrPain posted:

I put well over 200 hours into Forza 3 over the past 2 years, and I'm on my way to doing that or more into Forza 4. 1-2 bucks per hour of entertainment isn't too bad, really.

• Locked thread