Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Athanatos posted:

Since the servers are down, have some videos of the group racing from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEnuyXWdy0
Nürburgring with the fancy camera angles.

and just another random race where you have to watch my terribleness because I just recorded it straight up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djrMwbm7Y0g
That Michelin Man livery is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
The english car-mag Evo actually runs a Countach, and everone there touching it claims it's absolutely awesome to drive. Hard, heavy and unforgiving, but absurdly quick and plain fantastic to drift through some bends.

Seen some videos of them driving it, and it sounds superb as well. They might just be lying about how it feels like to drive it, but they claim it to be far more rapid than the ferraris of the same era.

Other than that, any Fanatec-fanatics here opened up their CSR-E pedals yet? I REALLY want to do the invert pedals-mod, but I have no idea if it can be done (seems it's only been done on the CSP), but aren't they more or less the same pedals, with the CSR-E with just some plastic at the base?

Also, I've been fortunate enough to have avoided the no-cash-bug, which is awesome. I'm really impressed by the CSR-wheel so far, and I'm not even sure I'll bother preordering the CSR-E-wheel whenever it hits. Almost ready to admit that the CSR is "enough" for me.

For those sitting on the fence when it comes to ordering the CSR, seriously ... it's an amazing wheel. DO IT! DO IT NOW!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
You GISH guys I ran into last night were funny as hell. Once I saw the buses I knew it was gonna be hilarious.

You just wanted to take the kids to school and they were so mean to you.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

BlackLaser posted:

Apparently the Dodge Dart is a glitch car.

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4895817.aspx

Swapping in a Viper V10 lowers the PI as long as you don't touch the transmission. Something to do with top speed and PI calculations. It supposedly accelerates like a bat out of hell though.

:laugh:

I destroy in D class with the Leaf for just this reason. When a car's gearing limits it to a low top speed, you can get away with absurd acceleration. The Leaf is tough to beat on any track where you don't see speeds over 108 mph for an extended time.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Is it still possible to join SAEG ? I'd like a spot
Gametag : Kafouille

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

BlackLaser posted:

Swapping in a Viper V10 lowers the PI as long as you don't touch the transmission. Something to do with top speed and PI calculations. It supposedly accelerates like a bat out of hell though.

I saw it take over the leaderboards in the past few days and it was ridiculous to watch some of the replays. It just powers to 111 mph instantly and bangs off the limiter for the last few seconds of every straight away, slows to a crawl for the turn, and then rockets off for the next straightaway. Hilarious.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

bladesamurai posted:

I saw it take over the leaderboards in the past few days and it was ridiculous to watch some of the replays. It just powers to 111 mph instantly and bangs off the limiter for the last few seconds of every straight away, slows to a crawl for the turn, and then rockets off for the next straightaway. Hilarious.

Yeah, explains the extreme dart-domination in timetrials lately. It's S5-ish, so I suspected something was up.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

BlackLaser posted:

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

Oh dear... I've bought another PT Cruiser.

Inexplicably this thing keeps finding its way back into Forza's lineup, and inexplicably I keep trying to see if maybe, this time, it can finally be made into something not useless. And every time, I just end up crashing it into walls out of sheer frustration. At least this time around I'm only losing the 8,000 credits to buy it since upgrades are free now.

Yes, I know it's built off the old Neon platform which was antiquated when the PT was first introduced. And yes, I know it was largely popular at first because most American cars were so blandly styled through most of the '90s that its cartoonish looks were considered a breath of fresh air by comparison. And yes, I know it was extended long after its intended lifespan of three years because Daimler-Benz thought they could use it as Chrysler's supposedly-cheap-but-actually-rather-expensive daily driver. And yes, I know it has a number of well-documented flaws in its design that were never corrected because nobody gave enough of a poo poo to redesign anything to fix them. But is it possible that somehow, someway this thing is good for more than selling stick-on chrome parts and fake wood paneling vinyls to old people who are too cheap or clueless to buy a proper classic car?

Eeeeenope. The platform is too weak and the body too high-centered to corner with any kind of aggression, and the major reinforcement necessary for correcting these problems adds even more weight that the wheezy inline four and its puny turbo can't handle. The option to swap in the slightly less awful (by comparison at least) V6 from the Crossfire is now gone too, meaning you have to do far more work than its worth to upgrade the engine, and doing so puts it so far out of a class where it might be useful that it's really entirely pointless to bother. There's still the option to do a rear wheel drive swap, but again the I4 simply isn't up to the task of getting the PT moving with any kind of urgency. Sadly, Turn 10 did not include a fuzzy dice section that would add in all the countless types of useless visual garbage most PTs are buried in. Which is too bad, because being able to add a fake plastic blower to the hood with double-stick tape that flies off when you go too fast would have at least been something funny.

No, I'm not putting this in the LLJK garage. It doesn't deserve to be given "comedy option" status, because that implies there's something entertaining about it. Even the Hello Kitty Jeep would laugh at this hateful little thing. I think I'd rather have a SsangYong Rodius than this disaster. That's how much I hate it.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm such a Skyline whore.

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Think I've made a vaguely competitive C class car which is actually fun to drive :)

Also a random photo from last nights lap of Fujimi Kaido

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe
I've noticed something with the in-game music that is increasingly annoying. I run with a full home theater setup, complete with subwoofer. I noticed that during seemingly random times, the music would suddenly not have anything coming from the sub. Doing a race on Infineon Raceway (Indy Racing League Circuit), I started noticing a pattern. When I go into a turn that is slow (such as the hairpins), it silenced the sub. Then, when I accelerated out of the corner, it comes back shortly after. I've reproduced this in the "Test Drive" option as well as the normal career. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I'd like an invite to whatever group has openings. My gamertag is Thideras. I play randomly, so I wouldn't be able to set a schedule. Just want people to mess around with in races.

EDIT: Also also just noticed that when you pause the game in the corner, it keeps the sub silenced. I can't tell if this is a bug in the game or intentional.

thideras fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 18, 2011

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Whoops. Forgot to ask for a SAEG invite, if someone would be so kind. GT is DeadlyImpact.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

thideras posted:

I've noticed something with the in-game music that is increasingly annoying. I run with a full home theater setup, complete with subwoofer. I noticed that during seemingly random times, the music would suddenly not have anything coming from the sub. Doing a race on Infineon Raceway (Indy Racing League Circuit), I started noticing a pattern. When I go into a turn that is slow (such as the hairpins), it silenced the sub. Then, when I accelerated out of the corner, it comes back shortly after. I've reproduced this in the "Test Drive" option as well as the normal career. Can anyone else confirm this?

Also, I'd like an invite to whatever group has openings. My gamertag is Thideras. I play randomly, so I wouldn't be able to set a schedule. Just want people to mess around with in races.

EDIT: Also also just noticed that when you pause the game in the corner, it keeps the sub silenced. I can't tell if this is a bug in the game or intentional.
Yes, I can confirm the same effect out of my sound system. I think it's intentional, sort of like how cars today have dynamic volume to compensate for road noise and wind baffling (buuuuuuttt I don't see why it would only silence a sub when going slow. That's kind of dumb).

Edit: It only happens in slow turns, in my experience.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

BlackLaser posted:

The only problem is that the dart pegs 125MPH fast, and that's just about it.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Kachunkachunk posted:

Edit: It only happens in slow turns, in my experience.
Exactly. It does not happen for me if I simply stop on a straightaway. It seems like they are trying to influence the mood of the race. I know Grid did this by increasing the volume of the music towards the end of a close race. Might be trying to do the same thing. But, now that I know what it is doing, it is driving me crazy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Why the Hummer is awesome at being terrible.

The ridiculous finish between Panda and myself I mentioned earlier.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is what happens when Bentai accidentally shifts into reverse at the start of a race while starting off right in the middle of the pack. Myself and Tanz-Kommandant were lucky enough to escape the carnage :v:

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

You'd have been just fine if you were in the GoonBus livery.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What's the fastest car in the game? The Ultimate Aero? That thing is so hard to drive stock because it literally just spins out if you accelerate.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I tried the multimonitor trick to zoom in on the instrument clusters a little bit more. Setting the first value to 0 and the 2nd value to 70 sets up the cockpit view to look pretty much exactly like GT5's where the instrument cluster is nice and clearly legible on the screen. It definitely affects the overall FoV just a little bit negatively though.

I'd absolutely love it of the interior FoV and overall FoV were separate adjustable values, but sadly you'll need to compromise if you want to play with the values.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Brace posted:

What's the fastest car in the game? The Ultimate Aero? That thing is so hard to drive stock because it literally just spins out if you accelerate.

Either that or the Veyron 16.4 Super Sport.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

The Koenigsegg Agera is pretty goddamn fast as well.

http://youtu.be/qW_izVcmBFk

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

How in the hell did I not hit you?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zinjnok posted:

How in the hell did I not hit you?

You came out of nowhere and spooked me so much that I flew down the track; otherwise, yeah, that would've been a collision. I probably would have won had I stayed up high and blocked you, but I was not at all expecting you to suddenly appear there and just reacted out of habit.

Whatever, it led to an awesome finish :v:

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

Had some really fun races with the SAEG guys tonight, however I can't help but notice that Lilliput could have used a larger spoiler or something...

http://youtu.be/H8K4aPyGMNs

The game lagged out weirdly for a bit and all I could see was this mustang erratically hovering towards me...

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

How are you guys taking the videos in game? I was going to try and take some video with my iPhone of the monitor but this looks like it's either in game or direct feed via a capture card or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lotharr posted:

How are you guys taking the videos in game? I was going to try and take some video with my iPhone of the monitor but this looks like it's either in game or direct feed via a capture card or something.

Hauppauge makes some great hardware for capturing video.. either over component video or HDMI. I think that's what most people use.

It's what I use, anyway.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Would love more Group C Le Mans cars. Forza 4 only has one. Forza 3 had one from Porsche. :(

Can you imagine how sweet a 787B would sound with Forza's sound engineers? :awesome:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Didn't get to do much racing tonight but the few races I did were awesome as usual.

SAEG is pretty much the best car club :coal:

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

lotharr posted:

In the replay mode you can record up to 30 seconds of video and upload it (this seems to take a bit of time) - it replaces your big picture though. So then it's just a case of downloading it from the forza site and reuploading it to youtube or somewhere.

I think Athanatos is using a capture card to record entire races though

edit:

Jarf posted:

gently caress I DESERVED TO WIN THAT ONE

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 19, 2011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Can you imagine how sweet a 787B would sound with Forza's sound engineers? :awesome:

God yes. I've listened to the race car through Youtube videos, and that obviously doesn't do it justice. GT5 has it, but it doesn't sound correct at all.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

Yo Idiot race, I don't know what this thing means and I can't really read it but it's on my storefront:

Gamertag is gregchiasson and I threw them up there pretty cheap, just so I can whore out for credits on that GTCC vinyl leaderboards.

Awesome! The logo is from rinse.fm btw which is a former pirate station in london.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

pvax posted:

The Koenigsegg Agera is pretty goddamn fast as well.

http://youtu.be/qW_izVcmBFk

I wonder what would happen if you didn't brake.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jarf posted:

Didn't get to do much racing tonight but the few races I did were awesome as usual.

SAEG is pretty much the best car club :coal:

Nope, sorry, you're wrong. LLJK is the best.

I also have video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TremeQIuoTM

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 19, 2011

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Asmodai_00 posted:

Nope, sorry, you're wrong. LLJK is the best.

I also have video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TremeQIuoTM

Hey that's me at the beginning of the video doing pirouettes on my grill!

Since a few people have asked for tuning advice and nobody is throwing any out there, I'll volunteer my completely amateur setup that seems to make for semi-competitive cars, especially if they're mid-rear layout. I have no educational foundation to base this on, it's just been trial and error so it may be total garbage, but it's worked ok for me.

For camber, I've generally kept the rear wheels pretty flat, usually around -2 or -3 degrees, and the fronts a bit more tilted, -8 to -10. This might be opposite of what I should be setting it at (more camber in rear, less in front) I'll try swapping them tonight and see how it feels.

Toe in, I give the rears somewhere around 5-8 degrees of toe in, and the fronts 0-2 degrees of toe out. The toe in on the rear seems to help with oversteer when powering out of a corner, but too much will drain acceleration. Toe out in front will give quicker turn in (I think) but will also make it twitchier at high speed (I think).

Caster, I don't know what this is, I usually leave it alone. Sometimes I move it up or down .1 degree just to feel like a really meticulous tuner.

Suspension, I usually stiffen all settings up a bit, and try to set the fronts a little stiffer than the rears on all settings (rebound/bump and the main setting)

Differential I experiment from 60 - 75% even though I have no clue what effect it has until I find something that 'feels about right'. I don't mess with this until after I've tuned the suspension settings and driven a few laps.

Anyway just make sure and save your tuning setup before you mess with it, especially if it's a prize car, then you can always revert back to the original setup.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
One of the more important things to keep in mind when tuning is the gear ratios. To get the most oomph out of your car you want to set up your ratios so you're almost at redline in the highest gear at the end of the longest straight on the track. However, this isn't always the best option as that can leave you outside the main power band on the exit of some turns. If you find that this happens you can either start tuning individual gears (something I don't dare to do most of the time) or you can adjust the final drive ratio, the easiest way of going about this. Since you should at this point be just at the redline at the end of the longest straight, you'll need to make your gears a little longer. Keep testing with different number to find a sweetsport that not only gives you max power through turns but helps you stay in the power band of the engine for most of the time you're stepping on the loud pedal.

This will take quite a bit of tweaking to get just right, but it's one of the most important things to tune right if you want to get the most out of your car. If all else is equal between competitors, the car with the best gearbox setup will always win.

blodycoughbynewport
Oct 26, 2008

Sponsored by Big tobacco!
Just shared a few more classics from my personal collection :mmmhmm:

SAEG: Billionaire Boys Club

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

BlackLaser posted:

I knew there had to be a reason why the dodge dart was dominating every single leaderboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Have some SAEG + some dudes races from this afternoon:

This one has a really close ending between 4 cars. I got it from a few differnt cameras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Gud5DJmQ

Here is the other one with a 3 way drag race down the final stretch for the win:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_HEfvvA-sY

• Locked thread