Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Bobx66 posted:

Last I saw kde most certainly did not look like that. And obviously you wouldn't be able to get those effects on a plain terminal.

Seriously.

KDE is customizable enough that you could probably make a pretty close approximation. Though it would require a metric fuckton of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Well that was a waste of time.

Aside from upgrading the primary lineholder's phone and then transferring over that device to my line (which wouldn't work because my primary doesn't use a data plan currently on their flip-phone, plus, that would steal their upgrade), I was told by two different phone reps (and an employee at my local VZW store) that there is no way to upgrade my line early, at all.

I was even told that VZW doesn't do any early upgrades to 4G phones or iPhones.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 19, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Aatrek posted:

I was even told that VZW doesn't do any early upgrades to 4G phones or iPhones.

Which is a crock of poo poo because Verizon flings out early upgrade offers all the time via email.

Try this. Call retentions and inquire as to your current ETF amount. Dollars to doughnuts you have an early upgrade offer sitting in your email inbox within two weeks.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm not the primary line, so I don't know if there's anything I can do. I'll try, though, I guess. Do I just ask for the 'retention' department when I call in?

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 19, 2011

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

I'm not the primary line, so I don't know if there's anything I can do. I'll try, though, I guess. Do I just ask for the 'retention' department when I call in?

Say "cancel" or tell the rep that you're thinking of cancelling.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yup, I called up and was told that they are 'very strict' about upgrade dates, and that Verizon 'used to have' early upgrade offers for primary lines but that was 'discontinued a while ago'. The rep had never heard of the emails that have been going out recently.

The rep told me that an early termination would be $140, and then even if I started a new contract with Verizon today after that, I'd lose my $30/month unlimited plan.

I'm either stuck waiting, or face buying the phone off-contract (which, depending on the price, is sounding more and more reasonable).

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 19, 2011

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Aatrek posted:

I'm either stuck waiting, or face buying the phone off-contract (which, depending on the price, is sounding more and more reasonable).

It'll be $600-$650 off-contract, I'm sure. drat. I was hoping to follow in your footsteps.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
It scares me a bit that Best Buy has the Bionic off-contract at $699 - that's where I wanted to get the Nexus (as I have some gift cards saved up). VZW sells it off-contract for $589.

Not a good sign. Maybe I'll get something in print from the local Verizon store and take it to Best Buy to do a price match :colbert:

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 19, 2011

film_critic
Jul 23, 2007

We don't go dancing at the club with babies. We go baby clubbing.

Aatrek posted:

Yup, I called up and was told that they are 'very strict' about upgrade dates, and that Verizon 'used to have' early upgrade offers for primary lines but that was 'discontinued a while ago'. The rep had never heard of the emails that have been going out recently.

The rep told me that an early termination would be $140, and then even if I started a new contract with Verizon today after that, I'd lose my $30/month unlimited plan.

I Called verizon about 2 weeks ago because my droid x will no longer dial new numbers. It will dial contacts, but not open the dialer. This is currently my third droid X after the first 2 would not locate a 3g signal. I told them I was not willing to hard reset my phone or anything similar and I wanted to know options. They offered me an early upgrade to anything but an iphone. I chose the Bionic, but after receiving it and coming to terms with my area never getting 4g, I returned it within 15 days to get something different. They then canceled my early upgrade and left me hanging. I called back today and they gave me back the early upgrade AND let me preorder a 4S.

Keep complaining to them till they give in.

EDIT: My upgrade was supposed to be april '12

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My girlfriend has a blackberry with unlimited data. She's not eligible for an upgrade yet, but her moms line is. She plans on going into Verizon tomorrow and just using her moms upgrade to get a 4s and keep her unlimited data.

This is all pretty standard stuff right? The only reason why I'm asking is because she's taking the upgrade from her moms line and using it for herself.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I think her Mom would need to be involved in that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Aatrek posted:

I think her Mom would need to be involved in that.

My girlfriend is a "certified person" on the account or whatever. Will she still need to drag her mom out to the store?

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My girlfriend is a "certified person" on the account or whatever. Will she still need to drag her mom out to the store?

Even if they insist on confirming with her mom she can just do it over the phone.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Aatrek posted:

It scares me a bit that Best Buy has the Bionic off-contract at $699 - that's where I wanted to get the Nexus (as I have some gift cards saved up). VZW sells it off-contract for $589.

Not a good sign. Maybe I'll get something in print from the local Verizon store and take it to Best Buy to do a price match :colbert:

If you can wait a little to get it from craigslist, you'll likely get someone wanting to dump it for less than $589 + tax. With phones the second-hand market isn't too bad since you can get insurance.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"Aatrek" posted:

Best Buy always marks up the outright pricing of phones.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

My girlfriend has a blackberry with unlimited data. She's not eligible for an upgrade yet, but her moms line is. She plans on going into Verizon tomorrow and just using her moms upgrade to get a 4s and keep her unlimited data.

This is all pretty standard stuff right? The only reason why I'm asking is because she's taking the upgrade from her moms line and using it for herself.
Yeah, it's pretty standard. In fact, you can even do it on VZW's web site now.

Tell her to make sure she knows the account password (not the same as the web site login).

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Both the Razor and the Galaxy Nexus look spectacular. Motorola might have caught lightning in a bottle: take what works from the Bionic and build an ultra premium phone. Obviously the Nexus is the ICS standard bearer and the videos make the phone look all together more polished than the iPhone. I wished Google and Samsung just came out and said that "Yes that LTE one is coming to Verizon." Given the mountain of evidence, it would be a surprise if it didn't.

I find both announcements are just a double middle finger salute to people who bought Bionics from anywhere but Costco.

Now, we all wait for a launch day and the countdown to see what bugs and glitches ship with the phone. (Ice Cream Sandwich facial recognition unlock function scares me for some reason)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LaptopGun posted:

(Ice Cream Sandwich facial recognition unlock function scares me for some reason)

For what it's worth, the hands-on video linked from the Android Devices thread showed that this would be just another option alongside PIN/Pattern. You won't ever have to use it if you don't want to.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Does Costco sell phones off-contract?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Does Costco sell phones off-contract?

No, they do not.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I wonder what commission Costco gets for putting you on a 2 year contract, if they'd rather sell you no device at all than sell you one outside of your contract.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

kitten smoothie posted:

I wonder what commission Costco gets for putting you on a 2 year contract, if they'd rather sell you no device at all than sell you one outside of your contract.

Likely $70/unit + recurring percentage.

Matlock fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 19, 2011

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Is it possible to pre-order an off-contract phone, or do I pretty much have to get there early and wait in line?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Do you really think there's going to be that much of a run on them to warrant a pre-order?

Edit: Has Verizon ever had any stock issues with phone releases? I can't think of any of the top of my head besides possibly the iPhone 4?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

I don't know, this is the first time I've been in-the-loop enough to buy a newly announced phone. My current phone is a Thunderbolt, I want to get rid of this piece of poo poo as soon as possible.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

I can't think of any real reason why they wouldn't let you preorder one at full price. They still get money in the end. Edit: Of course your mileage may vary depending on where, if it's an actual corporate store, an authorized retailers, etc. I'm pretty lucky in the fact I have a corporate store just a stones throw away.

And I'm also going to be ditching my Thunderbolt for it. The Seidio extended battery I've been using with it is basically just a band aid on a sinking ship.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

Do you really think there's going to be that much of a run on them to warrant a pre-order?

Edit: Has Verizon ever had any stock issues with phone releases? I can't think of any of the top of my head besides possibly the iPhone 4?

The iPhone 4 didn't even have stock issues.

The only phone that spent a long time out of stock was the original Incredible because Samsung didn't have their poo poo together yet with OLED panels.

I really don't expect there to be a run on the Galaxy Nexus at all. I don't think it's going to have any advertising budget behind it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The iPhone 4 didn't even have stock issues.

The only phone that spent a long time out of stock was the original Incredible because Samsung didn't have their poo poo together yet with OLED panels.

I really don't expect there to be a run on the Galaxy Nexus at all. I don't think it's going to have any advertising budget behind it.

Not to mention the million or so people who just spent their upgrade on an iPhone 4s.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
With the RAZR and Nexus coming out I'm definitely going to be ditching my Bionic. I really wish I would have waited. Hopefully I can get a decent amount for it to recoup some of my money.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just waiting to hear if Costco is going to have these phones in stock. I know the Razr is pretty much a lock since it's a Droid branded phone, but we don't know what the retail situation will be like for the Galaxy Nexus is yet.

After Verizon's announcement, I was sold on the Razr. However ICS blew me away enough that I really want to start using it ASAP plus the camera on the Galaxy Nexus looks amazing.

If I have to buy the Nexus full retail and sell my bionic, so be it. Hopefully I'll just be able to walk into Costco and do a trade.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I think I'm pretty much deadset on the Nexus now.

It's kinda funny that this time last month I was considering the Bionic, but wanted to wait till October to see about the Vigor/Thunderbolt 2/Rezound since it was rumored for 10/18. Then a few weeks later I hear a rumor about the new possible Nexus phone. To be quite honest, the Razr came out of left field for me. The only rumors I heard about it even existing were from bull3964 :v:

Seriously, 11/10 can't come soon enough and that's going to be a helluva day for Verizon with the Nexus, Razr, and Rezound possibly launching at the same time.

Edit: I really doubt that HTC is going to be able to pull anything out of it's rear end by then that'll top the Razr or Nexus.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 19, 2011

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JayKay posted:

Yeah I think I'm pretty much deadset on the Nexus now.

It's kinda funny that this time last month I was considering the Bionic, but wanted to wait till October to see about the Vigor/Thunderbolt 2/Rezound since it was rumored for 10/18. Then a few weeks later I hear a rumor about the new possible Nexus phone. To be quite honest, the Razr came out of left field for me. The only rumors I heard about it even existing were from bull3964 :v:

Seriously, 11/10 can't come soon enough and that's going to be a helluva day for Verizon with the Nexus, Razr, and Rezound possibly launching at the same time.

Edit: I really doubt that HTC is going to be able to pull anything out of it's rear end by then that'll top the Razr or Nexus.

I think the Vigor specs will be nice but it'll have the same problem the Razr has, Gingerbread. The screen should be nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, I will say, I don't regret using my upgrade on the Bionic and moving on from my Droid in early September and I doubt I would even if I hadn't bought it at Costco (and could therefore trade.)

The Bionic is still an amazing phone and a HUGE upgrade from the OG Droid. LTE is the bees knees and Motorola did a fantastic job on both the physical characteristics of the phone and the software to make it fly. It's hard to be disappointed over it.

Two months is a long time to be sitting on an upgrade, especially when you already were sitting on it for two months prior. If I had waited for the Nexus to come out, it would have been a full four months which is almost a new product cycle as it is.

I'm sure four months from November 10th there will be phones coming out that make the Galaxy Nexus look like warmed over leftovers, but that's the nature of technology. That doesn't mean I'm going to sit around and wait for them either.

And, all that said, I'm still nervous over the Galaxy Nexus's LTE performance since Samsung's current offerings are somewhere in the back of the pack for LTE speed and reliability. ICS is beautiful and a huge upgrade, but it's going to be frustrating as hell if I keep getting dumped to EVDO or have handoff issues.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I have been under the same contract (well, new contract every 2 years) since about 2004 with verizon. I know verizon's base data plan is 5gb/month but my online account says 2gb out of unlimited. Am I still on a 5gb plan (some people said I may have been grandfathered in as an unlimited user). Or does the verizon site simply suck? My text and voice usage seems fine (400 of 700min used and a billion out of unlimited texts used).

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

cr0y posted:

I have been under the same contract (well, new contract every 2 years) since about 2004 with verizon. I know verizon's base data plan is 5gb/month but my online account says 2gb out of unlimited. Am I still on a 5gb plan (some people said I may have been grandfathered in as an unlimited user). Or does the verizon site simply suck? My text and voice usage seems fine (400 of 700min used and a billion out of unlimited texts used).

The Verizon base data plan is now 2GB for $29.99, if you have unlimited showing you're on unlimited. Have you actually used 2GB? Maybe post a screenshot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cr0y posted:

If you've had the dataplan prior to the tiers going into effect, you keep the unlimited. You can also upgrade just fine and keep the unlimited. Verizon's dataplan was always unlimited before the tiers went into effect, they just had a soft 5gb cap where they maybe might say something to you but probably not.

The 2gb and 5gb plans are for new data additions only (at least for right now.)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Mark Larson posted:

The Verizon base data plan is now 2GB for $29.99, if you have unlimited showing you're on unlimited. Have you actually used 2GB? Maybe post a screenshot.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

cr0y posted:

Since it says unlimited, I'd say you're fine with assuming it's unlimited. I'm grandfathered in from years ago and mine is the same thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This network outage is killing me... Literally no 3G and spotty 4G for almost 5 days now. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

bull3964 posted:

If you've had the dataplan prior to the tiers going into effect, you keep the unlimited. You can also upgrade just fine and keep the unlimited. Verizon's dataplan was always unlimited before the tiers went into effect, they just had a soft 5gb cap where they maybe might say something to you but probably not.

The 2gb and 5gb plans are for new data additions only (at least for right now.)

Yeah this; also, if you're on an unlimited plan they'll throttle you if you're among the top 95% of users or something like that.

• Locked thread