Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Brainwrong posted:

I assume TCS should be off? What about ABS?

Yes, traction control and the stability control should be off too. I also find drifting way easier with manual transmission. As you're approaching the corner in (say) 3rd gear, drop down to second or first and jam the throttle home. That will keep your tyres spinning for longer, allowing you to slide for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

SirViver posted:

Whoa there, might wanna tune down on that camber a bit ;)

Usually you'd want something between -0.5° and -1.5°, depending on the car and setup. The point of camber is to keep the tyre surface flat on the road during cornering, due to the tyre "leaning over" if you exert lateral/sideways force on it. How much that happens depends mostly on the tyre width, sidewall height, air pressure, car weight, and, well, the amount of lateral force itself (which is higher on cars with downforce or slicks). While that all might sound somewhat complicated, it's actually easy to figure out how much camber is optimal, thanks to telemetry. Just open the telemetry screen that shows the live tyre camber. While driving in a straight line, both should be slightly negative. Now find some corners and drive through them at race pace (probably easier doing this on a replay rather than live on track). During a right turn the left front and rear camber should be close to 0°, and vice versa for a left turn.

Camber is usually the easiest way to influence car balance - more "optimal/negative" camber at the front compared to the rear will make the car turn in better at the risk of oversteer, whereas more "optimal/negative" camber at the rear will stabilize the car by making it understeery. For RWD cars you'll generally want to have a car that tends to understeer, which can be compensated for by throttle/power oversteer.

If the values stay firmly in the negative (which I'm pretty sure they will at -8°) then you're actually only using the insides of your tires, making them overheat, wear down faster and offer less grip overall. Besides that, the more you tilt the tires, the less grip you have available on acceleration and braking in a straight line, so it's all a balancing act.

Similarly, toe-in should probably be somewhere between 0° and at most 1°, whereas on toe-out (if you want it at all) you should probably not go higher than 0.2°. Anything more will either make the car very unstable (toe-out) or massively scrub the tires at all times (toe-in) wearing down the tires and reducing top speed. You never want toe-out on the rear tires, btw.

Caster is a part of the steering geometry that makes the front tires lean into the turn as you steer, so it basically affects camber dynamically in an overall good way; during turning, the outer wheel leans more into the corner, whereas the inner wheel straightens up. When using a high caster value you can reduce the front camber a bit as the caster effect compensates for it during turning, which frees up more grip for braking in a straight line. Usually it's put at around 5-ish degrees, but that's more of a "what feels/works best" kinda trial and error thing.

Yeah actually I just forgot to check my units. I actually meant -.2 or -.3 degrees camber, and likewise -.5 to -.8 degrees of toe in, 0 - .2 for toe out.

I've since done a bit of reading and changed the values around a bit. Still sticking with the toe in/out settings, but the camber I have adjusted a bit, leaving front/rear around -.8/-.6 or so, depending on the oversteer tendency of the car.

The trouble I'm having now is tire temps. I've been sticking wider tires on my rears to help hold traction, but then once everything gets up to race temperature they're running about 20 degrees cooler than the fronts. I've tried increasing the pressure in the backs by 1 full psi, but I'm worried that increasing it further will balloon the wide tires or have some other detrimental effect. Other than the temp difference I'm pretty happy with the way the cars are handling, though I know there's room for (lots of) improvement. Any advice?

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

ihop posted:

The trouble I'm having now is tire temps. I've been sticking wider tires on my rears to help hold traction, but then once everything gets up to race temperature they're running about 20 degrees cooler than the fronts. I've tried increasing the pressure in the backs by 1 full psi, but I'm worried that increasing it further will balloon the wide tires or have some other detrimental effect. Other than the temp difference I'm pretty happy with the way the cars are handling, though I know there's room for (lots of) improvement. Any advice?

Unless you're going to be using the car for a 50+ lap endurance race it shouldn't be too much of a deal that the temperatures are uneven like that, since they only wear down maybe 5-10% during an average race. Also you have to keep in mind that the front tires are doing a lot more work than the rears since they're under a heavier load during turning and braking, so they're normally going to heat up faster. The rear tires are going to stay fairly constant unless you're swinging the back end out a lot or wheelspinning out of every corner.

The main thing to keep an eye on with temperatures is that they're even across the tire. If the inside or outside part of a tire is heating up much faster than the other then you might want to look at your setup to try and correct it, since that means that part of the tire isn't gripping properly.

Also, you don't necessarily want the rear tires to be as wide as possible all the time, since there's a point where they're not going to provide much more grip and can make tuning more difficult. You could try reducing the width a notch or two and see if it affects the car's rear grip any, and probably shave a few more pounds off the car's weight in the process.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Remember that increasing your rear tyre width without a corresponding increase to the fronts is going to provoke understeer when you reach the limit of grip. You can use the telemetry to see if your front wheels are losing traction before the rears and tune accordingly. Ideally, a car with a 50/50 weight distribution should have equal width tyres front and back.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Pro strategy guide for making the modern Lamborghinis fun.

Step 1: Swap in the RWD drivetrain from the Diablo SV

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Athanatos posted:

Have some SAEG + some dudes races from this afternoon:

This one has a really close ending between 4 cars. I got it from a few differnt cameras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Gud5DJmQ

Here is the other one with a 3 way drag race down the final stretch for the win:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_HEfvvA-sY

I feel kinda bad about winning that second one - Jarf and Lenn0 were having a pretty close race and then I come along and outdrag everything down the straight. It did take a lot of effort not to collapse into massive tyre-shredding drifts on every corner though :)

e - holy poo poo @ 2:03, I so nearly destroyed Jarf there :(

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm having a hell of a time with the photo mode, I just can't seem to get the lighting right.

Thank god for photoshop.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Uploaded a king cobra to the saeg garage for the monthly 1/4 mile drag challange, its the pink one, managed to get a 11.04 loving around with friends on the test track 1/4 mile, so you guys should be able to get some good times with it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

John Goss' Bathurst winning Falcon from 1974. Even though it was an XA model that won it, I can not find wheels in Forza to suit the XB model, so have started on the earlier one instead. Work in progress at the moment.

This is the original car

You Am I fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 19, 2011

Mr Stabby
Sep 12, 2007
stab stab stab
Any chance of an invite to SAEG? I asked before but I think I got missed, GT : SmoothMrStabby

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Some good, surprisingly close races last night. The PI system is so much better now you get closer races with a more varied bunch of cars.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
You know what's actually kind of fun? Hiring a driver. I had no idea watching my own little car race around the track while I panned around and watched the action from the chase cam perspective could be as interesting and relaxing as it is.

I wish you could enable the replay camera angles during the race though. Oh, and the cut the driver takes of the winnings is steep.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
Edit: ^^^^ I agree, except that it makes me feel like such a crappy driver when he does so much better than when I was trying myself...

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Some good, surprisingly close races last night. The PI system is so much better now you get closer races with a more varied bunch of cars.

Yeah, the PI system is incredibly improved, especially compared to Forza 2 (I skipped 3). It's so nice to know that if your car is at 600, it'll be competitive against other 600s, and that such a variety of cars can show up in any race.

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
I had a fun day in Forza today. Right after completing the Semi-Pro tour I decided to jump into my first online race for this installment. Chose American Stock Car and as soon as matchmaking was done I had a bunch of hillbillies yelling in my headset. Halfway around the 8th lap another guy ran into me. His car ran straight into the wall, while mine crashed and flipped over in the middle of the road. Some of the other guys saw the whole thing and had to brake, all while hollering "HOLY loving poo poo!". It was awesome.

Then I played some more career and got the Outta Time achievement, which is pretty great.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Mr Stabby posted:

Any chance of an invite to SAEG? I asked before but I think I got missed, GT : SmoothMrStabby

Done.

Ghetto Blaster posted:

That R5 made me smile everytime I saw it, even moreso because it was actually competitive. Reiterating what you said the PI system is fantastic, it actually works now and I haven't come across any cheater cars yet.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 19, 2011

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I tuned GISH's goonbus last night before going to bed. Let me know if it's better or worse.

I also found out you can make the hummer into an A class car if you swap out the cam shaft and I think you can upgrade the turbo one more level.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Super retarded question, but what does the little shield icon next to someone's gamertag mean? I know the little crown means they bought the LCE, but the shield means...?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

webmeister posted:

Super retarded question, but what does the little shield icon next to someone's gamertag mean? I know the little crown means they bought the LCE, but the shield means...?

They're either the leader or co-leader of their car club.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Those races were great fun, even fighting in the final places. Makes me want to work more on my cars and liveries. Hope to do some more over the next while.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Thanks to Tanz-Kommandant for being my co-driver :buddy:

This is going to be even better when I have a half-dozen or so DTM liveries all lined up.

And a bonus Trans-Am Camaro I painted as a request for T1g4h

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.
Hmm, getting a weird issue with the (SAEG, if it matters) club garage where most cars will load with their liveries etc but some (mostly newly added ones) have no image and you can't see the details of the car from the garage screen. Is this happening to anyone else?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

IO

Haak posted:

Hmm, getting a weird issue with the (SAEG, if it matters) club garage where most cars will load with their liveries etc but some (mostly newly added ones) have no image and you can't see the details of the car from the garage screen. Is this happening to anyone else?
I saw this last night too in GISH.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

siig posted:

Anybody have any luck taming the SLR Stirling Moss? I'm finding it nearly impossible to drive.
I put one I made in the gish garage simply because it goes zero to 60 in something like 1.3 seconds. And it doesn't turn. At all.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Is there a GISH logo vinyl?

Man, if not for insane crashes I would have done better last night.

RACING EXCUSES

Somehow I managed to flip my Lancia onto its roof after hitting one of the kerbs on the last downhill in Maple Valley. Oh, and that SSC thing is the most worthless vehicle IN THE WORLD. If it drives like that in real life, it should be banned from everything but the ocean.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I feel bad for not adding any cars to the club garage, but I suck at tuning, so I don't really know what to add :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Haak posted:

How many cars are being shared? My first guess is you guys are running into some kind of limit for how many cars can be loaded into memory.

Or it could be the Forza servers crapping out, as they've had a tendency to do since Friday.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Sunday Punch posted:

Thanks to Tanz-Kommandant for being my co-driver :buddy:

Hot drat:monocle:

I made an R3 Noble just because it's a VIP car and I can be smug about it.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 19, 2011

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.

xzzy posted:

How many cars are being shared? My first guess is you guys are running into some kind of limit for how many cars can be loaded into memory.

Or it could be the Forza servers crapping out, as they've had a tendency to do since Friday.

I only noticed it today so it could well be a server hiccup, I'll see if it's still doing it tonight. There's a few cars in there but not loads by any means. Maybe a dozen?

e: you guys make me wish I had any kind of artistic talent. Those liveries are awesome.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Looking for a car club to join. GT is Ricco Suave.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Since it was asked last night, GISH comes from a drunk watching of "Best of the Best" with my friends a few years ago before a wedding. Phillip Rhee is having flashbacks of his brother getting killed by the bad guy while training, and every time he hits the bag, he makes an ISH ISH sound, which then got changed to GISH GISH for the rest of the weekend. So when I started up my 3 man clan for blops with 2 of those friends, we figured it was a good name for it. I'll still randomly get texts from them with the word GISH and it just makes me laugh.

In my defense, I never said it was an interesting story.

To my knowledge, no one has made a vinyl logo aside from the small one I put on the back of our goon bus. If someone wants to make one, it would be awesome. I'll try and make up something tonight, but I don't have near the artistic talent of pretty much any of the pictures seen here, so it will probably suck.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Just went from driving around A class cars to doing a couple of F class races. I felt like a snail slowly chugging along.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Athanatos posted:

Have some SAEG + some dudes races from this afternoon:

This one has a really close ending between 4 cars. I got it from a few differnt cameras:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW0Gud5DJmQ

Here is the other one with a 3 way drag race down the final stretch for the win:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_HEfvvA-sY

I'm really liking the new track side camera angles.

Also, some of you guys need to work on your tunes, I'm seeing some catastrophic understeer in the second video...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MalleusDei posted:

Also, some of you guys need to work on your tunes, I'm seeing some catastrophic understeer in the second video...

I'd say that's more an issue of not being able to fit racing slicks due to class restrictions, and running heavy cars. Toss in the pressure of trying to win a race, and you're gonna get a bunch of people trying to corner faster than is possible.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

On my quest to build the quickest F class track car, I tried the old Toyota:

It's so sexy looking, but unfortunately, it's dog slow.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

Thank god for photoshop.

Is there a magic button I can press to improve my screenshots like that?

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.
gently caress the haters, I'm planning on using the Toyota for F-class too. It's not about winning anyway, it's more about marvelling at how bad your tuning setup is :haw:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I just can't race against pubbies. It actually makes my blood boil with anger. Why the gently caress is everybody so bloody aggressive? I'm overtaking you cleanly, why do feel the need to drive into me!

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I'm staying in private lobbies until this game dies down a bit.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Really loving the hell out of this car for my A-class racer. I still need to take the time to make a tuning setup for it so she'll handle better. I was considering bumping it up to S for my next set of races but am still on the fence about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Jarf posted:

I just can't race against pubbies. It actually makes my blood boil with anger. Why the gently caress is everybody so bloody aggressive? I'm overtaking you cleanly, why do feel the need to drive into me!

Because there's no penalty for doing it? If the rearmost driver always had his engine disabled for 5 seconds or so after every collision, there'd probably be a lot less of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Al Harrington posted:

this was annoying and hilarious at the same time and then when we did finally get it going one time we did the top gear track and all sat in the grass going 1mph

I think the first race we did though was hill climb and I took 2nd in my class A600 Suzuki Liana :roflmao:

That was a tense fuckin' race. You were at most 100 feet behind my Celica at all times.

• Locked thread