Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thepopstalinist posted:

So wait, this has probably already been covered but can Albatross still be your handler after you pop Sis? I'm assuming he won't show up in the endgame if you do.

You can apologize your way out of it even though letting Sis lives helps you build up good rep with him much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

thepopstalinist posted:

So wait, this has probably already been covered but can Albatross still be your handler after you pop Sis? I'm assuming he won't show up in the endgame if you do.

Yes, you can convince him that it's in his best interest to help him take down alpha protocol. You can also goad him into attacking alpha protocol to get revenge on you, but I don't think that works to get him as your handler.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

Yes, also Sis is like 16 you pervert.

\/\/\/tru.dat

Well, poo poo. I didn't look at her dossier closely and assumed she was early 20s.

Doing a suave, veteran no-kill Thorton run at the moment. This is a veteran only thing I think (unless I've not been paying any attention) but you can bash down doors with locks on them. Usually it'd set off an alarm but if you have Spy's Luck it's free instant lockpicking for life. There's so much bloody detail in this game.

Already looking forward to doing a psycho Thorton run with SMGs (really the only combat discipline I haven't properly tried).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PTizzle posted:

Well, poo poo. I didn't look at her dossier closely and assumed she was early 20s.

Doing a suave, veteran no-kill Thorton run at the moment. This is a veteran only thing I think (unless I've not been paying any attention) but you can bash down doors with locks on them. Usually it'd set off an alarm but if you have Spy's Luck it's free instant lockpicking for life. There's so much bloody detail in this game.

Already looking forward to doing a psycho Thorton run with SMGs (really the only combat discipline I haven't properly tried).

Breaking down different doors is based on how high your fist punching skill, another pretty cool perk of it that some people forget about. Like you said, spy's luck + fists like rock = no lockpicking doors, ever.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

CharismaticHorsey posted:

If only someone could find a way to make it Mike's model for the entire game.

There is a way, IIRC, but it involves hex editing your savegame after every mission to keep it on or something. There was a guide on how to do it on the official forums shortly after the game came out.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes, you can convince him that it's in his best interest to help him take down alpha protocol. You can also goad him into attacking alpha protocol to get revenge on you, but I don't think that works to get him as your handler.

Who frees you from the medical room if Sis is dead? Does Albatross just remote unlock the thing like Heck does if he is the handler? Does a random G22 goon show up and free you?

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Hey, I've finally gotten around to playing this game since I got it on the steam sale and it owns, but I have a quick question. I'm using a PS3 controller and it works fine except for lockpicking, where I pretty much have to get lucky or I'm screwed thanks to the L2/R2 buttons. Is there anything I could edit in the game settings or .ini to get it to work properly? Specifically it's the lock parts with the area really high on the bar, I can never get them to set exactly right.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Ryaomon posted:

Hey, I've finally gotten around to playing this game since I got it on the steam sale and it owns, but I have a quick question. I'm using a PS3 controller and it works fine except for lockpicking, where I pretty much have to get lucky or I'm screwed thanks to the L2/R2 buttons. Is there anything I could edit in the game settings or .ini to get it to work properly? Specifically it's the lock parts with the area really high on the bar, I can never get them to set exactly right.

According to earlier in this thread, the PS3 controller doesn't work well with the lockpicking minigame. An Xbox 360 controller will do it fine, as will the mouse+keyboard, but the PS3 triggers and motionjoy don't seem to be sensitive enough for it.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

Ryaomon posted:

If you're using motionjoy, setting the L2 and R2 deadzone to 0 will fix it right up.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

RoboBlaster posted:

If you're using motionjoy, setting the L2 and R2 deadzone to 0 will fix it right up.

Yep, that worked, thanks man.

Bizarre Echo
Jul 1, 2011

"I am pleased that we have differences. May we together become greater than the sum of both of us."
This loving game.

Just finished my first playthrough. Went silenced pistol/assault rifle, snuck around until I got caught and then just started blasting people. I didn't keep any particular alignment, just played the conversations as felt right. I love that pretty much any way you play this game is right. I'm planning another playthrough with a shotgun-toting, kill happy recruit. After that it'll be a veteran playthrough where I follow Batman rules. Thanks for pointing me to this game, goons!

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Musuem mission problems as SMG/Shotgun rear end in a top hat Trying to rescue Madison. Elevator opens, kill all the dudes besides the hostage taker. Cannot get a headshot with these weapons and devices don't work. Do i need to reload my safehouse auto-save and equip a pistol/assault rifle?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Vadun posted:

Musuem mission problems as SMG/Shotgun rear end in a top hat Trying to rescue Madison. Elevator opens, kill all the dudes besides the hostage taker. Cannot get a headshot with these weapons and devices don't work. Do i need to reload my safehouse auto-save and equip a pistol/assault rifle?

Get as close as you can without him killing her and wait. The guy holding Madison should lose his grip on her momentarily and she will duck. It will give you a wide shot window. If you miss the first chance, I think it will do it again if you wait long enough.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Get as close as you can without him killing her and wait. The guy holding Madison should lose his grip on her momentarily and she will duck. It will give you a wide shot window. If you miss the first chance, I think it will do it again if you wait long enough.

Any shot that hits the goon without harming Madison works? Can't get an instant kill with these weapons

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vadun posted:

Any shot that hits the goon without harming Madison works? Can't get an instant kill with these weapons

I'm sure you'd be fine with a sg knockdown.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Vadun posted:

I think so, though it's been awhile since I remember doing it. I definitely remember him dropping Madison to give you a much better shot, as opposed to the normal bobbing his head from one side to the other.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

thepopstalinist posted:

(1) A Sis "romance" was planned but Avellone successfully got it cut. Apparently the only reason that stuff was in the game was because of publisher mandate. Thanks, Bioware!

(2) Most of Obsidian's senior designers seem to really detest romances, come to think of it. Yet another reason why they are the greybeard developer du jour. :allears:

(1) You're sure about that? That doesn't fit with the claims that Sis was just a boss fight in her first iteration. I think the romance that got canned is the one that was planned with Grey De Lisle's character's, someone named Uli Booi or something. The whole character was given the airlock in her case.

(2) The ones I've 'heard' express a rather strong dislike of romances are Sawyer and Avellone, I don't know about any others.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

X_Toad posted:

(1) You're sure about that? That doesn't fit with the claims that Sis was just a boss fight in her first iteration. I think the romance that got canned is the one that was planned with Grey De Lisle's character's, someone named Uli Booi or something. The whole character was given the airlock in her case.

I think this is was suppose to be Uli Booi? I don't know what the gently caress either.

She was suppose to be voiced by Grey 'Catwoman' Delisle but she got cut halfway through.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In Training posted:

Breaking down different doors is based on how high your fist punching skill, another pretty cool perk of it that some people forget about. Like you said, spy's luck + fists like rock = no lockpicking doors, ever.

OH MY GOD

I...I told a bunch of people that you could always bust down doors instead of using lockpicks. I kept saying "you can just bash," and they were like "no, you can basically never bash you liar," and I was like "you're full of poo poo, go play DA2." I went big into martial arts in most of my playthrus! I didn't know!

This loving game, only sad. :(

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Hahaha, the Taipei safehouse is loving amazing.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

El Seano posted:

Hahaha, the Taipei safehouse is loving amazing.

I wonder how many people spent 5 minutes walking around mashing buttons, thinking the house was bugged, like me :downs:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

X_Toad posted:

From talking with him and interviews elsewhere, he would just as soon as there had been no romances at all. I know for a fact that Sis was originally going to be older (the codex entry might then be an unrevised version rather than a clerical error) and it's my understanding that the omitted romance was one that he had to actually fight to get cut. I doubt that he would have fought to cut a whole character - if you get to the point where doing so makes sense, then there's no resisting it.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

AG3 posted:

I wonder how many people spent 5 minutes walking around mashing buttons, thinking the house was bugged, like me :downs:

Every safe house, just in case.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

You know it never occurred to me before just now, but when playing as a veteran, Mina's face blurs into the face of the Gelatto shop guy. Total telegraph right at the start that she's NSA. In case you didn't get that intel on a previous playthrough.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

She used to work for them, sure, but are they really the organization whose agenda she's pursuing? Why would The NSA want to take down Halbech and Alpha Protocol?

More questions left for a sequel.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Doc Hawkins posted:

She used to work for them, sure, but are they really the organization whose agenda she's pursuing? Why would The NSA want to take down Halbech and Alpha Protocol?

More questions left for a sequel.

The whole game is why. Given what Halbech and their agents in Alpha Protocol are doing across the world, why wouldn't the NSA want to take them down?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

How about, it could go either way: I'd find it pretty easy to believe that one covert intelligence agency was not following a directive to bring about the wholesale destruction of another one from the same country. When I think of the NSA, I think of wiretappers, not The Patriots (though of course, in my interpretation, Mina is part of a super-conspiracy like that), but obviously if that's the way the story was laid out in the sequel, I'd accept it as just how things are in superspy world.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 22, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

This xkcd comic made me think of one of the email replies to Steven Heck.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 23, 2011

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Dominoes posted:

This xkcd comic made me think of one of the email replies to Steven Heck.

"Dear Randall,
please shut the gently caress up."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

So that's what does it!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Edit: I'm an idiot and looked in the game folders instead of my documents. Sorry.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Quote is not edit.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I just started playing this and am having a terrible time with the hacking minigame. The right hand code done with the mouse moves very slowly but at least it works. The left hand code says to lock it in with F, but actually locks in with Spacebar. However, 50% of the time pressing spacebar also moves the code one position to the left and the other 50% of the time it doesn't. This forces me to guess whether to put the code template on the code or one space to the right. Any suggestions?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Senethro posted:

I just started playing this and am having a terrible time with the hacking minigame. The right hand code done with the mouse moves very slowly but at least it works. The left hand code says to lock it in with F, but actually locks in with Spacebar. However, 50% of the time pressing spacebar also moves the code one position to the left and the other 50% of the time it doesn't. This forces me to guess whether to put the code template on the code or one space to the right. Any suggestions?

Did you try the fixes in the OP?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Senethro posted:

I assume you didn't change any of the keybinds, so I've not heard of that bug before. Gosh, I really should get the PC version! Has anyone else had this problem?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Category Fun! posted:

I assume you didn't change any of the keybinds, so I've not heard of that bug before. Gosh, I really should get the PC version! Has anyone else had this problem?
I have the sluggish mouse problem during hacking, but not the snapping-left keyboard one.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I had the mouse problem but just resorted to playing the game with the 360 controller.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

The game treats your mouse as an analog controller during hacking minigames, so it has a fixed move speed. Pretend you're pushing a 360 controller and not using a mouse.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
This game is fun and my dude is beardy, lining up pistol crits from behind cover is fun and powerful as hell.

How come I should've avoided Recruit on 1st playthrough? I'm not having any trouble and next time I get a veteran!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Started this game now that I have a computer that can run it well, although I've only gotten up to the first mission. Ran into a rather hilarious bug where I am holding 2 handed gun(shotguns, assault rifles) handles in the wrong hand, still pointed forward, so my other hand sits there like it wants to hold the gun, while the gun just points in random directions(does still fire straight though).

• Locked thread