Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Fuzz posted:

This network outage is killing me... Literally no 3G and spotty 4G for almost 5 days now. Ugh.

I was wondering why I was getting no service yesterday, and then I noticed somehow I had it on CDMA only. Once I put it back on CDMA/LTE the 4G popped right back on like nothing was wrong :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

maduin posted:

Yeah this; also, if you're on an unlimited plan they'll throttle you if you're among the top 95% of users or something like that.

ONLY when on 3G and ONLY when you are on a congested tower though.

4G is completely unthrottled.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I think this is a new high score for me.

4G is awesome, oh so awesome.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

JayKay posted:

I think this is a new high score for me.

What the hell do you do to rack up 35.6gb? Serious question because I'm finally going to get a smartphone and have no idea what my data plan should be.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Ash1138 posted:

What the hell do you do to rack up 35.6gb? Serious question because I'm finally going to get a smartphone and have no idea what my data plan should be.

I had downloaded a few games through Steam and Amazon this month due to the fact 4G is quite a bit faster than my cable internet. However I believe the majority of my data came from making the majority of my Google Music library offline since I was going to be travelling.

Normal use averages around 5 GB a month and that is with a lot of streaming video and music. My wife who doesn't stream usually does between 1-2 gigs.

Edit: Swype :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 20, 2011

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I was aghast that I hit over 5gb last month. I'm up to 7gb after just 17 days this month............. my hunger is getting worse :ohdear:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I only ever had 3G but the highest I'd hit was ~12.5gb. Forget of I posted that here or in one of the OS specific threads. That was with streaming music for ~8 hours a day 5 days a week at work through google music though.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Fhqwhgads posted:

I was wondering why I was getting no service yesterday, and then I noticed somehow I had it on CDMA only. Once I put it back on CDMA/LTE the 4G popped right back on like nothing was wrong :downs:

I also had no service until I rebooted my phone. I was wondering why it wasn't bigger news...:downs:

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

maduin posted:

Yeah this; also, if you're on an unlimited plan they'll throttle you if you're among the top 95% of users or something like that.

Only on 3G. 4G Unlimited data users are not throttled. The cost to deliver 3G data is 10x more than the cost to deliver data through LTE.

edit: beaten.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

kstatix posted:

The cost to deliver 3G data is 10x more than the cost to deliver data through LTE.

Kind of makes the coincidental occurrences of the rapid expansion of their LTE network and the introduction of tiered data seem like even more of a kick in the junk.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Anybody here have the Droid 3? I travel internationally a few times a year and having the SIM card slot seems like a cool feature. Are there other Verizon phones that do that?

My current phone is the Pre+ and I have no desire to upgrade for upgrading sake, but the Droid 3 looks like it has everything I want. But Blur, something I'm not too knowledgeable about seems to drag the phone down. The Droid 2 Global never got good reviews either. What happened to the 2 and 3 that made it so much shittier than the 1?

Can I put just plain Android on it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Droid 3 is actually a very solid device. If you can get past the bulk of having a physical keyboard, it's easily the best 3g only device on Verizon right now and the best global smartphone on Verizon.

Motorola doesn't use blur on their phones anymore. It isn't an vanilla android build, but it's not as invasive as touchwiz or sense. It's basically a custom launcher, blue theme with custom iconography, a few extra settings for device management, and a bunch of bundled apps from Moto and Verizon (some bloat, some useful.)

The custom ROM community is just starting out for the Droid 3, but I would expect support to be pretty decent long term. The bootloader is locked so there's no custom kernel work, but they've found a way to do a custom recovery and load custom ROMs on it.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

bull3964 posted:

The Droid 3 is actually a very solid device. If you can get past the bulk of having a physical keyboard, it's easily the best 3g only device on Verizon right now and the best global smartphone on Verizon.

Motorola doesn't use blur on their phones anymore. It isn't an vanilla android build, but it's not as invasive as touchwiz or sense. It's basically a custom launcher, blue theme with custom iconography, a few extra settings for device management, and a bunch of bundled apps from Moto and Verizon (some bloat, some useful.)

The custom ROM community is just starting out for the Droid 3, but I would expect support to be pretty decent long term. The bootloader is locked so there's no custom kernel work, but they've found a way to do a custom recovery and load custom ROMs on it.

The Incredible 2 is also an excellent 3G-only smartphone. Bought one for my mom, installed MIUI on it, and she loves it. She gets 3 days out of it's battery somehow :iiam:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The Incredible 2 is also an excellent 3G-only smartphone. Bought one for my mom, installed MIUI on it, and she loves it. She gets 3 days out of it's battery somehow :iiam:

It is a nice phone, but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying it at this point considering HTC's track record for updates with the OG Incredible and the fact that they've recently made some very non-committal vague comments about ICS updates.

I'm fully expecting only devices that shipped with gingerbread to be updated to ICS at this point. There is the custom ROM scene though.

However, I believe in this case, a physical keyboard was likely one of the requirements.

The question I have is when is Verizon going to figure out how to support LTE and global capability at the same time.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
After reading up some more it looks like the D3 has a ridiculous return rate and I'm rally looking for a solid phone.

I see the htc trophy has amazing, almost flawless reviews on Verizon and amazon which is almost unheard of for smart phones. It's only $30 on Verizon online. What are the opinions on these? I'm especially concerned with battery life and solid uptime, good speaker phone and standards compatible browser with flash. Does this $30 phone have all that? I would love to have a phone on standby most of the day and still have at least 75% of its battery left.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

PorkFat posted:

After reading up some more it looks like the D3 has a ridiculous return rate and I'm rally looking for a solid phone.

I see the htc trophy has amazing, almost flawless reviews on Verizon and amazon which is almost unheard of for smart phones. It's only $30 on Verizon online. What are the opinions on these? I'm especially concerned with battery life and solid uptime, good speaker phone and standards compatible browser with flash. Does this $30 phone have all that? I would love to have a phone on standby most of the day and still have at least 75% of its battery left.

The Trophys browser is hardware accelerated, so it's very good. It, however, does not have flash. You're stuck with Android if you want flash, although I can say I've never missed it. Youtube videos play just fine in the browser using HTML5, for example. Battery life is generally better than most Android handsets, but it's nothing to write home about. Like most smartphones, you'll want to charge it every night, but it'll easily last you throughout the day until you get home.

As far as uptime, I assume you mean reliability? WP7 are incredibly stable. It's very rare for an application to quit working, and I've never had one randomly reboot. You'll also be pleasantly surprised at how smooth the user interface is. There's virtually no lag between swiping screens, menus, etc. WP7 is incredibly smooth, despite being older hardware.

Be warned though, Verizon reps will try to talk you out of Windows platform, and half of them won't even know how to use the device. I went from a Palm Pre as well to a WP7 phone and couldn't be happier.

One last thing to consider: The philosphy behind Android and WP7 couldn't be more different. Just read through a random post about Android, and you'll have people recommending different roms, rooting, etc. It's highly tweakable, very customizable, and certain phones you NEED to tweak it to get it running smoothly. WP7 is entirely different. It's very simple, and simply works out of the box. There are barely any configuration options besides your main screen. If you like to tinker with phones constantly, you'll want an Android. If you want something to just work, you'll more than likely enjoy the Trophy.

Rent fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 20, 2011

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Posting in case anyone can fix this. I have an HTC Rhyme and after you check the voicemail I get a text (from the phone's own number) listing the amount of voicemails, urgent messages, and faxes I have. Anyone know how to turn this off? The only solutions I found working with a Verizon phone rep were to subscribe to Visual Voicemail (which stopped the texts) or completely turn off voicemail notifications (which kills the point of voicemail).

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

WeaselWeaz posted:

Posting in case anyone can fix this. I have an HTC Rhyme and after you check the voicemail I get a text (from the phone's own number) listing the amount of voicemails, urgent messages, and faxes I have. Anyone know how to turn this off? The only solutions I found working with a Verizon phone rep were to subscribe to Visual Voicemail (which stopped the texts) or completely turn off voicemail notifications (which kills the point of voicemail).

Use google voice as your vmail provider.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I have Total Equipment Coverage on my Droid X. If it happened to fall in the toilet or something today, what replacement phone would I likely find myself with?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

me your dad posted:

I have Total Equipment Coverage on my Droid X. If it happened to fall in the toilet or something today, what replacement phone would I likely find myself with?

Depending on their available stock, probably another DroidX. If those aren't available, possibly a choice among a DX2 or DInc2, or an outside chance of an LTE phone.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Regardless of size, LTE, and such what is the best Android phone on VZW for battery life? The Rhyme may be returned if the replacement has software issues too. I'm considering an Incredible 1 or 2.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Right now, at this very moment, it's probably the Bionic with an extended battery with 4G turned off.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

WeaselWeaz posted:

Regardless of size, LTE, and such what is the best Android phone on VZW for battery life? The Rhyme may be returned if the replacement has software issues too. I'm considering an Incredible 1 or 2.

Not sure on the 2, but the first Incredible is the epitome of bad battery life. Stay away at all costs if you want battery life

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any idea when Verizon is going to start taking pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? I've seen stories about a November 10 release, so maybe within a week?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

waffle iron posted:

Anyone have any idea when Verizon is going to start taking pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus? I've seen stories about a November 10 release, so maybe within a week?

Possibly never.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-news-rumors/9760-verizon-getting-galaxy-nexus.html

Rumor at this point is that Verizon is unhappy with the LTE performance of the device which is putting the Nov 10th release date in jeopardy. This could explain why they weren't announced as a carrier at the event.

BESIDES all that though. It's not a droid branded device or an iPhone so they probably aren't going to run pre-orders for it regardless. Verizon only pre-orders a very select group of devices.

They may not even acknowledge it's existence until a day before the release.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Possibly never.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/android-news-rumors/9760-verizon-getting-galaxy-nexus.html

Rumor at this point is that Verizon is unhappy with the LTE performance of the device which is putting the Nov 10th release date in jeopardy. This could explain why they weren't announced as a carrier at the event.

BESIDES all that though. It's not a droid branded device or an iPhone so they probably aren't going to run pre-orders for it regardless. Verizon only pre-orders a very select group of devices.

They may not even acknowledge it's existence until a day before the release.
Arrrrrgh. I don't even live in an LTE area. If it came down to the silent release, would a friend who works at a corporate Verizon store be able to hold one for me?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

waffle iron posted:

Arrrrrgh. I don't even live in an LTE area. If it came down to the silent release, would a friend who works at a corporate Verizon store be able to hold one for me?

I really don't think you are going to have to worry about availability.

No one but geeks are going to know about this phone. On top of that, we don't even know if corp stores are going to be carrying them (it may be punted to 3rd party retailers.)

With the Rezound and Razr launching on the same day, the Galaxy Nexus is going to be forgotten and probably flat out ignored by most of the customer base.

immakiku
Sep 15, 2003
Smart Newbie
Anyone have an educated guess how an iPhone's battery life might compare to the Galaxy Nexus's? I'm only considering it because of its ability to do LTE which the 4S does not have. If battery is going to be abysmal with LTE I might as well not bother.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

immakiku posted:

Anyone have an educated guess how an iPhone's battery life might compare to the Galaxy Nexus's? I'm only considering it because of its ability to do LTE which the 4S does not have. If battery is going to be abysmal with LTE I might as well not bother.

Its going to be abysmal compared to the 4S. But you'll probably get a day out of it without issue. So not that bad overall. Of course this is just speculating, but there's nothing to say that it will improve battery life in any way over current LTE devices.

I can easily get a full workday out of my Bionic but the battery tanks FAST if I'm doing anything continuously.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Rent posted:

Not sure on the 2, but the first Incredible is the epitome of bad battery life. Stay away at all costs if you want battery life

Really? I have an Incredible 1, and it's more than fine on battery. It's actually better than my OG Droid, and I usually end the day with at least 40% on moderate use (unplug at 7am, plug in at around 8pm).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
If I'm grandfathered into the $30 per month unlimited data plan, will I lose it if I upgrade my current Motorola DROID 1 to an LTE phone?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bam thwok posted:

If I'm grandfathered into the $30 per month unlimited data plan, will I lose it if I upgrade my current Motorola DROID 1 to an LTE phone?
Nope. Or, more correctly, you shouldn't.

e: meaning you'll only lose it if the retail person messes up.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 21, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Nope. Or, more correctly, you shouldn't.

Correct.

It's actually encouraged by Verizon. They want people off 3G ASAP.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Correct.

It's actually encouraged by Verizon. They want people off 3G ASAP.

Does that also mean that I'll only get 3G data on the LTE phone? Or are the data capabilities payment-plan agnostic?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

bam thwok posted:

Does that also mean that I'll only get 3G data on the LTE phone? Or are the data capabilities payment-plan agnostic?

Data is data. If your phone has LTE you'll get it assuming you're in an LTE signal area.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Athenry posted:

Data is data. If your phone has LTE you'll get it assuming you're in an LTE signal area.

Niiiiice

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, they just add a 4G feature code to your account. No plan changes are necessary.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
If I activate a 4G phone I bought off-contract on my current unlimited 3G plan, will Verizon even notice?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Aatrek posted:

If I activate a 4G phone I bought off-contract on my current unlimited 3G plan, will Verizon even notice?

It won't matter. You're going to need a sim card from them so they'll notice.

Edit: I technically did the same thing when I went from my Droid X to my Thunderbolt off contract last spring and when I went from my Pre 2 back to my Thunderbolt. No issues whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Oh, thanks for the info.

• Locked thread