Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
It really is awful. I think maybe if it wasn't an hour long I may have lasted longer with it. 30mins and them trying not to be funny might make it manageable, even if they were still so biased. The worse of what I heard was them writing Meireles off as a luxury player after the deadline and hailing Bellamy as the answer to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I love Suarez, his handball thing - I can understand but him biting that guy was disgusting. The Anfield Wrap, "well, that's just funny!" Oh gently caress off. Are you dealing with the situation with respect or taking the piss?

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

you guys should start your own 'sensible scouser' pod then.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

peanut- posted:

I thought Philipe Auclair's comments on Arshavin were interesting on Football Weekly - basically going against prevailing wisdom and saying that the problem isn't him, but that the rest of the team are too poo poo to play with him.

I feel torn. Arshavin is far, far better than he's ever looked at Arsenal, and it's very clear that he needs the team built to his needs to shine. But saying that when he misplaces a pass it's simply that the other 9 players are in the wrong place is taking that a bit too far.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
Auclair was talking poo poo. If he thinks Arshavin needs to be surrounded by top class players to play well then he never saw him play for Zenit or for Russia when he looked fantastic partnered with loving Pavlyuchenko. And he has played poo poo numerous times for Arsenal when in the team with Fabregas and Nasri and the players Auclair were saying he needed around him.

Lot 49 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 19, 2011

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

MoPZiG posted:

you guys should start your own 'sensible scouser' pod then.

Good point, well made.

Twat.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Two versions of Football Weekly came out, one is about two minutes longer than the other. Does anyone know the difference? I can't be bothered listening to it twice just to hear some extra inane chat about Serie A.

[edit]nevermind its actually only 9 seconds difference

Hoops fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 21, 2011

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Hoops posted:

Two versions of Football Weekly came out, one is about two minutes longer than the other. Does anyone know the difference? I can't be bothered listening to it twice just to hear some extra inane chat about Serie A.

[edit]nevermind its actually only 9 seconds difference

Ah, I was wondering what the difference was - I can see both on my RSS and the airport wifi I'm on is slow so I want to ensure I get at least one copy to listen to on the flight home

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JingleBells posted:

Ah, I was wondering what the difference was - I can see both on my RSS and the airport wifi I'm on is slow so I want to ensure I get at least one copy to listen to on the flight home

As long as the talk about crapping out a turd and putting it in a spurs jersey is still in...

I did love how it's like "And now Sid Lowe in Spain *edit* favourite pizza topping?"

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Everyone loves him. :)

http://www.football365.com/faves/7268393/TV-Heroes

Football, on the pitch and in the media, tends to be an alpha male world. By-the-lads-for-the-lads is the usual approach and in this environment, intelligence and wit are usually turned away at the door as an unwanted educated guest to the party. On your way, Poindexter: men are talking and grabbing each other's knees.

However, one man has stood out against this, and he is our latest TV Hero. Step forward AC Jimbo, known to his mother as James Richardson.

Back in 1992 regular football on TV was less than 30 years old and had been pretty much unchanged since its inception. So when Channel 4 began to show coverage of Serie A games on a Sunday afternoon, it was a surprising, revolutionary and most welcome cultural development. Odder still, given the traditional insularity of British football, it pulled in up to three million viewers. While "the lads" didn't keep their interest beyond Paul Gascoigne's involvement in proceedings, it was the quality of the programmes as much as the football that kept us dedicated fans coming back for more.

Fronting the shows was our man James Richardson. But this was no ordinary man-behind-a-desk-talking-in-clichés football presenter. Here was a man introducing the game from a cafe bathed in sunshine sipping an espresso or sitting in front of an unfeasibly large gelato. He'd look through the papers and bring us up to date with the Italian football news in an informal, chummy style.

There'd be relaxed and informed chat without any of the teeth-clenching mugging to the camera or clumsy "I don't really talk like this but this is how they taught me to do it at presenting school," style that is the stock in trade of many football presenters.

Here was a man who could translate the press for us and talk knowledgeably about the players and he could do it in a manner which treated the viewers, not as a drooling window-licker, but as a sentient, intelligent human.

He was amusing, self-deprecating but well-informed, culturally sophisticated and yet with a clear love of the game. This is an all-too-rare skillset in football TV presenting.

One of the biggest compliments we can pay him is that he did Football Italia as though he was fronting up a media, cultural or travel show rather than a football programme. With Jimbo, football seemed a part of life rather than a closed world away from it.

(If we may digress, it seems to us that a lot of football's nastiest idiocy - hooliganism, terrace racism, chanting that you hope a man's child dies of cancer, getting absurdly irate and vicious because someone on the internet doesn't share your opinion - is a result of people being encouraged to think of football as existing in a bubble, and thus being a space where behaviour that would be utterly unthinkable in other parts of life is accepted. Anyway. We liked that Football Italia hinted at a bigger picture.)

Ten years doing Italian football for Channel 4 flew by and we always hoped to see Jimbo installed in more high profile TV roles but for no reason we can discern, lesser, more annoying, more stupid and more unpleasant men got good jobs instead of him.

We loved his work on Setanta and hoped he would be a fixture on ESPN but no such gig has materialised. Earlier this year, he did get a BBC job, it should have been on Match Of The Day, but of course, it wasn't. He presents Late Kick Off in the South. But this is at least progress and we hope it represents him getting his feet under the BBC table for a tilt at the big jobs at a later date.

But our main hit of Richardson is on the Guardian's Football Weekly podcasts which are funny, informative and entertaining and probably the best of the genre. It's also worth catching his European papers round-up on Fridays in an echo of those Football Italia glory days.

His style has not changed. Calm, almost laid-back on screen but nonetheless well-prepared and well-read - which we reckon is a much tougher trick than it looks. Perhaps he is too middle-class for the TV directors and execs who assume football is only watched by mentally undernourished underclass men from behind ten pints of wife-beater.

If so they should revise this outmoded view because FHM readers, surely not all progressive feminist intellectuals, voted him Best Pundit of 2010. The football world may be ready for more AC Jimbo and we would welcome it very much.

John Nicholson and Alan Tyers

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

going to have to stop listening to the tuesday club on the way in in the morning as i keeping bursting into laughter on a packed tube

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really enjoyed the football ramble today, good puns.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Lyric Proof Vest posted:

going to have to stop listening to the tuesday club on the way in in the morning as i keeping bursting into laughter on a packed tube

Nah people know what's up with the laughing when they see the white headphones these days.

Love the way that Football Weekly (Extra) is always perfect commute length.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
"Football is like chess with out the dice."

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I been listening to the best soccer show podcast and been liking it, is there any other podcasts that focus on the american game,MLS and players?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
SI's Soccer Roundtable podcast seems to focus heavily on the US team and MLS. I don't know if it's any good.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I do like The Football Ramble but aargh how can they mispronounce so many names? There's 3 or 4 wrongly pronounced footballers in every podcast, mostly from Luke Moore. It's like Garth Crooks saying "yoo-eee-fa" every time, how can they not correct themselves, they must know they're saying it differently to the accepted and correct pronunciation.

Molotov Yogurt
Nov 29, 2000

buff man riddim
I feel like the Ramble has taken quite a dip in quality over the past year. Their opening question always seems to go for the 'wacky' answers now and it brings the show to a screeching unfunny halt even before it begins.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The most recent tuesday club was really good.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

kri kri posted:

The most recent tuesday club was really good.

yeah very good and i got tickets to see it live next week! :D

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Any opinions on EPL Talk Soccer podcast? Didn't see it mentioned in the OP and it seems to be active 2-3 times a week with a lot of contributors. I'm just a poo poo American plastic so please tell me if this podcast is also poo poo.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
In case anyone missed it, there was an extra edition of Football Weekly released on Saturday.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Nice one, I missed it. It's a live one though, isn't it? I saw one of them tweet something about a Guardian open day. At least it's not in a pub with a pissed up crowd and panelist like the others.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fryhtaning posted:

Any opinions on EPL Talk Soccer podcast? Didn't see it mentioned in the OP and it seems to be active 2-3 times a week with a lot of contributors. I'm just a poo poo American plastic so please tell me if this podcast is also poo poo.
I listen to this podcast from time to time and it's entertaining. The only thing I hate about it is they're obviously using skype or vent and the quality is just poo poo. One guy you can barely hear, the other guy will be blasting through my headphones. But yes it is entertaining and I've become quite fond of it.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM

Mickolution posted:

Nice one, I missed it. It's a live one though, isn't it? I saw one of them tweet something about a Guardian open day. At least it's not in a pub with a pissed up crowd and panelist like the others.

Yeah it was a live one. It's a bit strange that they didn't plug it a bit on the podcasts during the week (or maybe they did and I missed it), only found out about it on twitter.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, I hadn't heard anything on the regular ones either, don't think they mentioned it. Perhaps it was a last minute thing.

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

Poor Barry Glendenning, getting punched in a bar on St. Patrick's Day.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Pray 4 Baz

Owithey
Aug 16, 2009

Mandalay posted:

Pray 4 Baz

I suck at photoshop.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Had no idea there was one on Sat. Found today's reference to an audience strange. You think they'd have advertised it, they normally do months in advanced.

I actually hate the live ones, and the video ones. Stupid gimmicks.

Also, hate Rob Smyth, the snivelling, stuttering weasel. He's a oval office but him bring up the assault on Glendenning was poor. I realize Barry would laugh it off and all but it just galled me a little for him to shoehorn the story in.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Poor Barry Glendenning, getting punched in a bar on St. Patrick's Day.

Punched by an Arsenal fan who was celebrating Muamba potentially dying, because he thought Muamba was a Tottenham player.

Has to be a strong contender for twat of the year.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the update. When Barry made a joke about Jimbo playing to the crowd I thought "oh... that's a weird joke considering they haven't had a live show in ages right?"

Then I log onto this thread. And it all made sense.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The live Football Weekly wasn't near as bad as the previous ones. Still pointless, but at least the audience and panel were sober for this one.

On this subject, did anyone listen to the live one The Times did earlier in the season? Far better than the Guardian ones, as it was more of a forum on general issues than just a normal news/discussion show.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Mickolution posted:

The live Football Weekly wasn't near as bad as the previous ones. Still pointless, but at least the audience and panel were sober for this one.

On this subject, did anyone listen to the live one The Times did earlier in the season? Far better than the Guardian ones, as it was more of a forum on general issues than just a normal news/discussion show.

Can you link it? I fear that my man-crush on Jimbo is clouding my judgment on what makes a good soccer pod :ohdear:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Can you link it? I fear that my man-crush on Jimbo is clouding my judgment on what makes a good soccer pod :ohdear:

It's number 31 here. It was back in October, so I don't remember it too well, but I liked how they didn't just do a regular podcast in front of an audience. The Game is great in general. I love Football Weekly too, but it's nice to hear another one. Marcotti rubs some people the wrong way, but I like him as a presenter, he provides a good devil's advocate and has some interesting opinions.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Jippa posted:

Everyone loves him. :)...

The football world may be ready for more AC Jimbo and we would welcome it very much.

He actually presents a Prem hihlight show for TV in the middle east on ADTV I think.

Anyway in my search to find another half decent pocast I woulde suggest this to people. It is called Scottish Comedy FC podcast. You get some fun stuff / terrible news and if you dont mind listening to the occasional scottish nutter story its a good listen that doesn't focus too much on the horrror in my homeland called the SPL

http://scottishcomedyfc.libsyn.com/rss

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Mandalay posted:

Yeah I definitely have that too. I wouldn't tolerate such puns from anyone else, but I laugh in public when Jimbo drops them. Woof.

All Of The Dicks
Apr 7, 2012

Where is today's Football Weekly? I am crying like a giant baby here.

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.
Monday was a bank holiday. Should be out on Tuesday sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Jimbo looks to be soliciting Football Weekly questions: https://twitter.com/#!/acjimbo/status/189611424576847873