Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

mune posted:

I think the SO series would be great if they cut out all the anime bullshit (and really didn't focus on stories at all, and probably got rid of voice acting) and made the battles have a larger scale (i.e. more enemies).

Regardless, I will still buy every SO game ever made and I will probably still use the 'event skip' feature every single time.

It'd be great if they'd drop the whole "after the cool science introductory 1/10 of the game you're stuck on shitburg planets in which you'll be forced to recruit all sorts of terrible unique party members. During the last three hours of the game suddenly we'll remember that this is supposedly a scifi game and the final boss will be a (last one is an SO4 spoiler... kind of)an emo cyborg, a genetically engineered godman... emo, MMO developer with a god complex, also emo, or pretty much the incarnation of emo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

mune posted:

I think the SO series would be great if they cut out all the anime bullshit (and really didn't focus on stories at all, and probably got rid of voice acting) and made the battles have a larger scale (i.e. more enemies).

Regardless, I will still buy every SO game ever made and I will probably still use the 'event skip' feature every single time.

You know what's a better Star Ocean game? Infinite Space.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Unlucky7 posted:

I have not played an Atelier game since the first Atelier Iris. Now, it was a lovely game as a whole, but the most fun part was working in the item shops and messing around with item creation in general. The reason I never bothered with the sequels was because I heard that they decided to emphasize the combat over the item creation.

So, yeah, if I liked the item creation of that game, will I like Totori?

EDIT: Judging from the last few pages, I think the answer is 'yes'.

Yes. If you just love creating poo poo. The Ps3 Atelier games are the games for you.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You know what's a better Star Ocean game? Infinite Space.

Totally agreed. Star Ocean: The Second Story has a special place in my heart but Infinite Space is just the BOMB. My only complaint is that you get stuck with fuckin' weak sauce ships till the second half of the game. And even then for the first four or five chapters the Pallas is going to be your go-to ship pretty much no matter what.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
The SO series itself just has a ton of super great ideas, that have been shown very well, and very bad at different times.

Battle System : Is a hybrid MMO/TurnBased way of doing it. When i saw this in so2 it sold me on it.
Crafting : The crafting in the game is unbelievable, but they went a little to overboard with just how broken they are in 4.
Party Members : Albeit most of the members are just ridiculous, The ability to actually interact and make choices that will affect not only how you are in battle with them, but how you end up.
Storyline : The story's albeit ridiculous, have an excellent catalog of back story, which is what makes them such a good catch. Each one bases parts off the others, and you can find the little things that are all around whether through books, or in the scenery/data-library.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

A Sometimes Food posted:

On AT, what happened to Totori's mother. I know you'll find out eventually, I just like this kind of thing spoiled in games like this cause it's inevitably something dumb and I don't like getting my hopes up.

And here's where a good Atelier game fucks with your expectations. (Rather big loving Totori spoilers)

Dad and Ceci are right. She's long since dead. One of the game's most powerful moments is Totori finding her headstone in a snowswept village, forgotten by nearly everyone but Totori.

When Gust want to make something legitimately amazing, they really can. There's a reason I've been a fan of theirs for a long time (and a reason their uneven output drives me up the wall).

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 18, 2011

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ah, cool thanks. I don't have to worry about anything dumb like her being alive but with amnesia, her having given up on being an adventurer and gotten depressing or pathetic (I remember one game where this was the reveal and it sucked), or her becoming the flauschtraut after killing the original or otherwise being the final boss somehow then. As you said Gust's output is all over the place so I was concerned.

Also Recettear and Chantelise were awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone have a linbk to the Last Remnant thread? Apparently someone gifted it to me while I was in the hospital, and I thought I might try it out. Being a wimp, though, I'd like to see if the goons in the thread thought up tips and tricks I could use.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

^^ Dunno bout a thread, but there's always this.

Ashekaban posted:

The SO series itself just has a ton of super great ideas, that have been shown very well, and very bad at different times.

Battle System : Is a hybrid MMO/TurnBased way of doing it. When i saw this in so2 it sold me on it.
Crafting : The crafting in the game is unbelievable, but they went a little to overboard with just how broken they are in 4.
Party Members : Albeit most of the members are just ridiculous, The ability to actually interact and make choices that will affect not only how you are in battle with them, but how you end up.
Storyline : The story's albeit ridiculous, have an excellent catalog of back story, which is what makes them such a good catch. Each one bases parts off the others, and you can find the little things that are all around whether through books, or in the scenery/data-library.

Have you played the Tales series? The peeps who made the first tales game split, and some of them formed tri-ace, which now makes Star Ocean. What I'm saying is the series have a lot in common, especially in the battle system. Although I think they've drifted apart further with time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Does anyone have a linbk to the Last Remnant thread? Apparently someone gifted it to me while I was in the hospital, and I thought I might try it out. Being a wimp, though, I'd like to see if the goons in the thread thought up tips and tricks I could use.

Long version: Check the link Amppelix just pointed out, I and a couple other goons dunked a bunch of stuff there.

Short version: You dodged a bullet if you got the PC version, which fixes so many things that you can pretty much just wander into the game how you like and have fun. It's basically Saga Frontier just with an army: a good 70% of the gameworld is optional.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Amppelix posted:

Have you played the Tales series? The peeps who made the first tales game split, and some of them formed tri-ace, which now makes Star Ocean. What I'm saying is the series have a lot in common, especially in the battle system. Although I think they've drifted apart further with time.

I have. I really am a huge fan of the Tales Series, but there are things that rub me the wrong way about it, much like the SO series. I really wish both of them would just have a video game love child, set it in space with the SO backstory (What of it still exists after the last two incarnations), and it would be the start of getting that series back on track.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I know the BoF discussion was a few pages ago, but I've been playing Breath of Fire 4 for the first time, and it's a drat solid game.

I really loved the hell out of breath of fire 2 and 3 when I was younger, but at some point I heard BoF4 was a bad game. Somehow, I took the reviewer's word and never actually tried it. A few days ago, I saw that BoF4 is only $5.99 to download on the PSN, so I picked it up and have been enjoying it since then.

Other than the dragon transformation and fishing systems you are used to from the other Breath games, there isn't really much that's unique. But what the game does do is present the classic JRPG experience through really beautiful sprites and a nice level of polish. 4 is a lot more subtle than 3 in almost every sense; the soundtrack is less whimsical, there are less chibi-anime sweatdrops, and there are a lot less goofy joke-characters that you come across. Overall though, the funny parts are funnier, and the serious moments have way better presentation.

The best part of the game is the upgraded camera system which lets you actually experience some exploration while going through your classic JRPG "one path is a treasure chest, one path is a dead end, one path is the right way" caves and dungeons.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I really REALLY liked the skill system in BOF 4. The skill combos were pretty drat deep: elements combined to create new spells, physicals combined to add more hits. Beyond even that weapons often had secondary effects that compounded upon the skills even more. Got triple strike? now give it to Ursula with her gun that hits the entire enemy party for ridiculous damage. There was a skill called tiger strike or something like that which would hit the entire enemy party some 6 times but miss almost every hit. Combine that with the Master that would make it so you couldnt miss and you were peppering the screen with numbers. Now follow Urusula's all screen triple strike with tiger strike and youre doing 7+ hits on each enemy thanks to the combo system. I spent hours in that game just experimenting with battle order and skill combinations

All that, a nice dark story to counterpoint the pastel visual style, and one of the more believable sympathetic villains I can remember in a game. BOF 4 is definitely a hidden gem that gets way undue treatment.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Stelas posted:

Long version: Check the link Amppelix just pointed out, I and a couple other goons dunked a bunch of stuff there.

Short version: You dodged a bullet if you got the PC version, which fixes so many things that you can pretty much just wander into the game how you like and have fun. It's basically Saga Frontier just with an army: a good 70% of the gameworld is optional.

Also keep the wiki closeby at all times. You'll be glad you did.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Nathilus posted:

Totally agreed. Star Ocean: The Second Story has a special place in my heart but Infinite Space is just the BOMB. My only complaint is that you get stuck with fuckin' weak sauce ships till the second half of the game. And even then for the first four or five chapters the Pallas is going to be your go-to ship pretty much no matter what.

I couldn't get into Infinite Space at all. It just seemed like the battles consisted of move back, fire, move forward, fire, move back.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Strange, Wild Arms 4 keeps crapping out on me after two minutes of playing it. I think it's trying to tell me something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ashekaban posted:

Star Ocean 2's backstory is that 300,000,000,000,000 years ago (yes, that's three hundred trillion), some terrorists killed a guy's daughter and he uploaded his consciousness to a bio death machine that incidentally used a lot of magic and not a lot of biological death weapons. And just to make it harder on you, he made nine more bio death machines. Then they were locked in slam-you-in-the-rear end space prison.

Then 300,000,000,000,000 years later, they got out somehow. This is never explained. But they did, and their sole purpose in life is to gently caress with you, the player. This is evinced by the fact that they literally never do anything, nor have anything better to do, other than cause trouble for you, and only you. Collateral damage is incidental.

Star Ocean is fun to play, and it's fun to watch items stretch and fold and poo poo in item creation (but it's no longer fun in SO3 because the bonus bar is required to be full for any semblance of progression balance--fol prices and EXP TNLs are literally based on the assumption that you'll have the 3x bonuses--and you lose it so easily, and because there is no longer any visually-engaging item creation), but there is absolutely no way in hell that anything about the story in any Star Ocean game is good, backstory or otherwise.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The White Dragon posted:

But they did, and their sole purpose in life is to gently caress with you, the player. This is evinced by the fact that they literally never do anything, nor have anything better to do, other than cause trouble for you, and only you. Collateral damage is incidental.

What? They literally destroy a planet.

They don't give a drat about the heroes until they actually become a threat to them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Star Ocean 3 was my first Star Ocean game and while I thought the plot twist was really sloppily written, I didn't think it was overly horrible like some people were saying. I took the advice of others and played through the first two games which a good number of people had said that they had better gameplay and a much better plot than the third game.

When I played the first game I found the gameplay to be a confusing, button mashing-y mess. I did kind of like the plot to begin with however, it reminded me of a rather cheesy B-episode of Star Trek and I liked that. Where everything fell apart though was when Jie Revorse got introduced to the game. It seemed needlessly tacked on to artificially increase the length of the game and to go back to the Star Trek analogy, it was as if a completely unrelated episode of Trek got tacked on to the end so the game could have a satisfying enough endgame. I ended up kind of disappointed but hey, everyone kept praising the second game more. Surely that'd be good!

Nope. I played the second game and while the gameplay was more fun than the first, it still was largely button mashing without any depth to it. The item creation was fun enough however. But I honestly couldn't believe people were praising the story of this game. It was cliche, the entire first half of the game was completely pointless, pretentious by adding in Biblical references with no greater meaning or symbolism, the lead characters were stupid and aggravating to watch, the lead villain's motivations were literally as The White Dragon said except the best part is, unless you do a sidequest you don't even know what his motivations are (which is just poor design no matter what, sidequests to flesh out characters are fine but don't put the entire reason the game is happening in a sidequest).

Then the fourth game happened and it was basically everything I hated about the second game except magnified and fetishized, without any of the fun item creation or decently designed dungeons. As such, I never understood why the third game seemed to be hated so much, it was terribly written sure but no moreso than the second game and not nearly as bad as the fourth. SO 3's "plot twist" didn't cheapen anything because the universe was so paper thin there was nothing to cheapen to me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hypocrisy posted:

What? They literally destroy a planet.

You're right, a planet did blow up. And you know what? If Rena hadn't been on the planet, they just outright state, straight up, "well y'know our original plan was that we were just kinda hang out here for a few hundred thousand years until the orbits line up but Rena's necklace basically acted as a homing beacon so awesome! Our flight arrives earlier :downs:" They didn't destroy poo poo, it was literally an orbital phenomenon that facilitated their return to their home planet.

Highly inefficient and ineffectual villains who basically just go with the flow, unless they're prancing around twirling their mustaches and cackling at the player.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 20, 2011

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I remember thinking the plot twist in SO3 was amazing at the time. I was very very drunk.

Want to trivialize all combat in SO3 and keep the bonus bar full at all times?

1)Make Nell the controllable character
2)Spam Guillotine
3)repeat 2

so wait you gave this character a spammable attack that can be executed safely from range, that can break guard, does HP AND MP damage, AND hits on the way out and the way back? Yeah thats not overpowered in any way.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

The White Dragon posted:

Star Ocean is fun to play, and it's fun to watch items stretch and fold and poo poo in item creation (but it's no longer fun in SO3 because the bonus bar is required to be full for any semblance of progression balance--fol prices and EXP TNLs are literally based on the assumption that you'll have the 3x bonuses--and you lose it so easily, and because there is no longer any visually-engaging item creation), but there is absolutely no way in hell that anything about the story in any Star Ocean game is good, backstory or otherwise.

I played SO 1 & 2 back to back when they were ported to the PSP a few years ago. It was my first time experiencing that type of battle system, and while it was basically button mashing it was still fun. It was also my introduction to item creation which I loved (and have yet to do again though, I should get on that). But the plot was just poo poo, from the 2 games I barely remember any of the plot, not because I'm forgetful, but because it sucked so drat much.
Love that battle system though, even if its simple as hell.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

No denying the Star Ocean 1/2 plots are bad, but I think by virtue of them just being text they're easier to stomach than modern voice acted terrible plots.

Also, I love the multitude of stats you can build, they really help give a sense of progress. I was really looking forward to 3 and was let down by it in every way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendell posted:

No denying the Star Ocean 1/2 plots are bad, but I think by virtue of them just being text they're easier to stomach than modern voice acted terrible plots.

Mm-hmm, I hear you there, dogg. Folks poke fun at "RENA, TO EXPEL! :downs:" "YES :haw:", but Star Ocean 3 and 4 were basically that the entire game simply because of the voiced script.

Also re: Star Ocean, every time someone makes a Portal reference with that "This was a triumpuh" or whatever quote, I always think they're quoting Indalecio.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheOriginalEd posted:

I remember thinking the plot twist in SO3 was amazing at the time. I was very very drunk.

2)Spam Guillotine
3)repeat 2

so wait you gave this character a spammable attack that can be executed safely from range, that can break guard, does HP AND MP damage, AND hits on the way out and the way back? Yeah thats not overpowered in any way.

Albel's Vampiric Flash does that as an AoE that drains HP and MP at once and also gives it back. Just in case you DO get hit.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way to fix the loving screen tearing on the PC version of The Last Remnant? I have it forced on my CCC but it still happens :(

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

TheOriginalEd posted:

2)Spam Guillotine
3)repeat 2

You forgot "only kill enemies with low MP for easy EXP."

Also Flying Guillotine was toned down for the English/Director's Cut release. It did even more damage in the original Japanese version.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man I beat SO4 pretty thoroughly (didn't do the secret postgame dungeon, though) and the only thing I recall is the name EDGE MAVERICK and a girly voice going "'kay". What's the deal?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Man I beat SO4 pretty thoroughly (didn't do the secret postgame dungeon, though) and the only thing I recall is the name EDGE MAVERICK and a girly voice going "'kay". What's the deal?

You're recalling the two worst characters. It's okay.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You're recalling the two worst characters. It's okay.

LimaBean was the worst character. She even made the Catgirl look logical and sane.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ashekaban posted:

LimaBean was the worst character. She even made the Catgirl look logical and sane.

Who? I kind of think the catgirl is rather amusing, along with the item creation girl but ....

Also why are 90% of the characters women? I don't get it, there's two dudes.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Who? I kind of think the catgirl is rather amusing, along with the item creation girl but ....

Two words: Fan Service. (The guy who made the game wanted to make a dating sim. Company told him no, so he made this game instead.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I wish the guy who was in charge of Valkyrie Profile 2 and Resonance of Fate directed SO4, then we would have had decent female characters instead of the horrible characters we got.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seriously? She looks like a child prostitute.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Seriously? She looks like a child prostitute.

I mean the script for her is amusing....I wasn't talking about her looks.

RadicalR posted:

Two words: Fan Service. (The guy who made the game wanted to make a dating sim. Company told him no, so he made this game instead.)

That's creepy.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
So I'm playing Exit Fate again after a massive hiatus, and I'm just wondering if there are any tips for A-Ranking the Battle at Grunthall? Normally I wouldn't care but apparently this lets me recruit one character early. I have all the characters I could get at this time (basically everyone except Winona).

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lymle, The little girl who goes kay?
And there were totally 4, 5 if you could play as Crowe, who is the coolest

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ashekaban posted:

Lymle, The little girl who goes kay?
And there were totally 4, 5 if you could play as Crowe, who is the coolest

Oh lol, I was counting Faize as one of the girls by accident haha.

I only got Bacchus fairly recently

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Jesto posted:

I wouldn't worry too much about recruiting that character a few hours earlier, though.

I have grinded the Arn to get everyone's weapons to their current max levels. Everyone's.

I care.