Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Nah, it was just an example of how far I was willing to go, but considering I haven't got Winona yet, it's not much of one.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
In Exit Fate, I am almost totally sure that the dudes on your side who run off early and get themselves killed do not count against your rating. The first time I did that battle I just beelined for the commander after those two units died and got 100% in keeping my dudes alive but like 10% in dudes killed. Might be remembering it wrong, but its easier to get a good ranking if you don't worry too much about those guys.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Atelier Totori is pretty fun so far and I'd have to say a good bit better than Rorona. The only downside is that everything takes up shitloads more time than before, but they don't give you any hard goals you have to meet constantly so it kind of evens out.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

Atelier Totori is pretty fun so far and I'd have to say a good bit better than Rorona. The only downside is that everything takes up shitloads more time than before, but they don't give you any hard goals you have to meet constantly so it kind of evens out.

I'm loving it so far. Also, does anyone know how long the game is? I'm guessing more than three years, since that would make for a pretty short game. I'm maybe eight hours in and I'm near the end of the second year.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Five years, the games ends on the 6/1/6, 6th month 1st day 6th year.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Troffen posted:

I'm loving it so far. Also, does anyone know how long the game is? I'm guessing more than three years, since that would make for a pretty short game. I'm maybe eight hours in and I'm near the end of the second year.

You have three years to achieve Diamond rank; if you manage that, you have an extra two years. Note that to actually get the good endings you have to do other stuff as well within that time.

The game's duration changes dramatically based on what you're doing. I'm only just into the third year because I've been spending a lot of time trying to fiddle around, maximise my time, stuff like that. My first attempt I spent time like water and blasted through the first couple years.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
My issue with Totori is how drat hard it is compared to Rorona to get a normal ending. You should just be able to play through a game normally (like in Rorona, passing all the assignments) to get a decent ending, instead of doing all this "rank up by this date", "trigger this", "make this item" bullshit.

I'm at Year 4 Month 8 and am starting to feel really crunched for time to finish making the ship. I need to rank to Cobalt to get all the items, but my adventuring level is too low to finish the harder areas. I can't get better equipment because I can't go to areas to get better materials. I wished I had waited until walkthroughs were out to start playing.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I started playing Xenoblade yesterday. It is pretty awesome. Major peeve is that they have a day/night cycle that affects active NPCs/quests. Ughhhhh, I hate this in games. Sends a huge 'use a guide if you want to see everything' message.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KariOhki posted:

I'm at Year 4 Month 8 and

I think you may have spent too long futzing around in the mid-game, as it's perfectly possible to get enough points for Cobalt well before Y4M6. There is definitely a point where you kind of tear your hair out and wonder why you can't kill anything, but then I discovered that the ingredients for Platine can be picked up in an area without monsters - it's way in the bottom-left of the map somewhere - and that can give you a solid weapon selection. Combine that with a few stacks of healing and bombs every time you go adventuring, and bring someone beefy like Sterk or Mel, and you'll be very able to farm some locations.

Also, once you unlock Forgotten Village, it's worth trying to weave through the tough enemies there to pick up the World Spirits from the chest. That will let you synth the Travelers Shoes which speeds up your movement on the world map. Combine with the Speed Gloves (harvesting takes 30% of a day rather than 50%) and it's possible to enter a location, harvest 3 times, and leave without having wasted any time.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
That isn't exactly true, it will still eat up a day. If you enter an area on say 4/8 and exit right away the date will change to 4/9. That will be a waste so try killing something or gathering something. As long as that red time gauge doesn't pass over to the next date you can leave the area and the date will change to 4/9.

What this means is that the Speed Gloves is really really good since you can go to a place, use 3 gathering spots, leave and it'll only cost a day. This is as opposed to pre-Speed Gloves where using 1 gathering spot costs you a day if you leave right away or 2 days with 2-3 gather.

But you really shouldn't sperg over time management. Totori is like the chillest game I have ever played; bake a pie, go kill a dragon, then come home and make some more snowmen to kill dragons with. It's also open ended anyway so having a guide will just crush the exploration feeling of the game. You absolutely do not need a walkthrough or :spergin: with time management unless you're trying to platinum the game on your first run, which btw is absolutely impossible without doing the tedious spring cup poo poo. Go ahead and waste an ingame week getting all the Golden Plain gathering points, who cares.

Year 4 Month 8 is more than enough time to get the normal end. After building the ship you'll need roughly another month after that to fulfill the requirements of the Normal End, or two months if you didn't make a Warp Gate. You have 20 months left, more than enough time to gather the materials, build the parts, and use the ship. ...Though I say that but there's a boss fight along the way that you can not beat unless you make some good healing and attack items, Healing Salve and Craft ain't going to cut it for that fight. I got a pretty big wakeup call on that fight and decided to take an ingame month gathering good materials to make some Heal Recovery L and Attack L items. If you're having trouble with battles then it's most likely that you're not crafting enough.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

That isn't exactly true, it will still eat up a day.

Yeah, that was what I meant, sorry. I've gotten into the mindset that if I don't want to spend a day somewhere, just don't enter it, so I keep thinking the three gathers are 'freebies'.

I can see where KariOhki's coming from, though. It's really easy to get discouraged early on if you're just coming into the game or if you're the sort of person to want to maximise your time, which is still the biggest problem I have with it, and that dead zone did kind of suck pretty hard. It doesn't help that the game really doesn't want to give up any decent armor. Looking back I wish I'd taken the game slower, as I think I'm way ahead of the curve, but at the time I was all 'gotta do this!'.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I mean the script for her is amusing....I wasn't talking about her looks.

That's creepy.

I think Myuria was probably the only salvageable female character in the game. I remember her being a lot less annoying than the rest of the cast and having a halfway interesting backstory, despite clearly being designed for 14-year old Japanese boys to masturbate to. I just said that a character that was completely fanservice intended is the best female character in the game AND I ended that last sentence with a preposition. loving shoot me now.

Star Ocean 4 was terrible story-wise, Arumat is the poo poo (why? because he joins really late and keeps his whore mouth shut) and argh they need to make a game with an expanded battle system and just get rid of the relationships between characters and private events and all that garbage. I am an awful person for giving this more than a cursory thought.

I thought SO3 was anime and bad until I played SO4. Seeing as how the series has degraded, I wonder if SO5 will just be a hentai game that has AWESOME battles in between uncanny valley dolls staring at each other while texts scrolls across the bottom of the screen, "... ... ... I stared deeply into her eyes while she squirmed awkwardly as I massaged her breasts ... ... ... I am in love ... ... my penis is erect." and no event skip feature. Then the creator of the game laughs at you and sets loose 40 underage girls with catears wearing inappropriate outfits in your house and your girlfriend comes home and just leaves you right then.

edit: why do I have so much to say about a video game intended for Japanese teenage boys? Like, way too much... I have sex (sometimes), I have friends... why do I feel compelled to keep posting about this?!

mune fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 22, 2011

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Megaflare posted:

I started playing Xenoblade yesterday. It is pretty awesome. Major peeve is that they have a day/night cycle that affects active NPCs/quests. Ughhhhh, I hate this in games. Sends a huge 'use a guide if you want to see everything' message.

At least it lets you change the time of day whenever you like, so it's not as annoying as it could be.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Megaflare posted:

Ughhhhh, I hate this in games. Sends a huge 'use a guide if you want to see everything' message.

I find it mildly amusing how "this game has more optional stuff in it than you're likely to actually discover" has somehow become a BAD thing.

(In general, not commenting on the specific game which I have no knowledge of.)

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

thark posted:

I find it mildly amusing how "this game has more optional stuff in it than you're likely to actually discover" has somehow become a BAD thing.

(In general, not commenting on the specific game which I have no knowledge of.)

Never said it was bad. But if it's so arbitrary you're not likely to discover it who is it there for? But no, FFXII had great hidden content. <- Sarcasm... and, actually, I guess I am saying it's bad in the case of that game.

(In general. Xenoblade is pretty low on the scale for this type of stuff, as far as I know. And I wasn't yet aware of the ability to change the time of day when I wrote the other post.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Megaflare posted:

Never said it was bad. But if it's so arbitrary you're not likely to discover it who is it there for? But no, FFXII had great hidden content. <- Sarcasm... and, actually, I guess I am saying it's bad in the case of that game.

Yeah, there's a difference between "Whoa, there's a sweet-rear end sword on this ledge hidden behind a statue I never noticed? Cool!" and "Don't open any of these four unremarkable chests to get the best spear, which is otherwise only available a long walk through extra-dangerous territory from the nearest save point, which has a .1% chance of actually being there".

EDIT: Specifically, that one rewards exploration and thoroughness, while the other rewards buying strategy guides.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, the Zodiac spear basically made all the enemies trivial in FFXII, so I always thought it was just a bonus and didn't mind that it had the crazy requirement.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between "Whoa, there's a sweet-rear end sword on this ledge hidden behind a statue I never noticed? Cool!" and "Don't open any of these four unremarkable chests to get the best spear, which is otherwise only available a long walk through extra-dangerous territory from the nearest save point, which has a .1% chance of actually being there".

EDIT: Specifically, that one rewards exploration and thoroughness, while the other rewards buying strategy guides.

You forgot about the chest that appears 10% of the time that gives a weapon 10% of the time which is the Zodiac Spear 10% of the time. Or the rare invisible chest on a certain airship that had a stupid low chance of giving the best bow in the International version. :suicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreatRedSpirit posted:

You forgot about the chest that appears 10% of the time that gives a weapon 10% of the time which is the Zodiac Spear 10% of the time. Or the rare invisible chest on a certain airship that had a stupid low chance of giving the best bow in the International version. :suicide:

Of all the things I didn't like about FF12, the 'semi-random items in chests' thing was the worst.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Zereth posted:

Well, I mean, I agree personally that it's dumb of course but then again there are spergs who do get enjoyment out of figuring out that sort of complete bullshit and I don't mind letting them have their fun. (Druaga somehow managed to be a massive hit in Japan despite being one giant guide-dangit, and that in the arcade to boot, which is a complete mystery to me.)

But as long as it's not stuff you actually need to beat the game, I fail to see how it's going to lower my opinion of a game that there is stuff in it that I don't find and didn't even know was there to miss in the first place. OK, you could construct some argument about development time or disc space or whatever wasted on bullshit that could have been better spent elsewhere but that seems pretty dubious to me.

E: For an antiquated example: Romancing Saga 2-3--both among my top ever jrpgs--have a ton of items that are rare drops, not infrequently rare boss drops, that take forever to farm for if you want to be sure to get them. Since that's not my idea of fun, I don't farm, don't get them beyond maybe on or two out of actual luck as a happy surprise, beat the games just fine without them and fail to see what the fuss is about.

thark fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 23, 2011

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GreatRedSpirit posted:

That's what I was referring to with the .1% chance of being there!

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Durf :v:, I misread that as 1%, I figured that the Zodiac Spear chest form the four do-not-open chests was a random spawning chest of that % based on your post, not that you were talking about the other source for the spear. My bad.

Sakurazuka posted:

Of all the things I didn't like about FF12, the 'semi-random items in chests' thing was the worst.

I agree with this. Chests used to be interesting. Maybe you'd get some new gear or interesting loot. In FF12 iirc most chests are knots of rust or piddly amounts of cash. Chests became something that you open and moved on than opened and checked out what you got. iirc even chests with guaranteed good loot like that weapon chest you get by killing the optional Demon Wall only has a chance of giving that sword. Imagine killing that boss, going through the corridors and stairs to get that chest and finding gil. Whoop de loving poo poo. Then you fight the same boss again because back to back of the same boss except where one is optional is awkward game design.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

mune posted:

I think Myuria was probably the only salvageable female character in the game. I remember her being a lot less annoying than the rest of the cast and having a halfway interesting backstory, despite clearly being designed for 14-year old Japanese boys to masturbate to. I just said that a character that was completely fanservice intended is the best female character in the game AND I ended that last sentence with a preposition. loving shoot me now.

Star Ocean 4 was terrible story-wise, Arumat is the poo poo (why? because he joins really late and keeps his whore mouth shut) and argh they need to make a game with an expanded battle system and just get rid of the relationships between characters and private events and all that garbage. I am an awful person for giving this more than a cursory thought.

I thought SO3 was anime and bad until I played SO4. Seeing as how the series has degraded, I wonder if SO5 will just be a hentai game that has AWESOME battles in between uncanny valley dolls staring at each other while texts scrolls across the bottom of the screen, "... ... ... I stared deeply into her eyes while she squirmed awkwardly as I massaged her breasts ... ... ... I am in love ... ... my penis is erect." and no event skip feature. Then the creator of the game laughs at you and sets loose 40 underage girls with catears wearing inappropriate outfits in your house and your girlfriend comes home and just leaves you right then.

edit: why do I have so much to say about a video game intended for Japanese teenage boys? Like, way too much... I have sex (sometimes), I have friends... why do I feel compelled to keep posting about this?!

Well, Tri-Ace didn't want to make any more Star Ocean games after the 3rd one, so they had to make it as horrible as possible so they could never make one again. A 5th game will never happen.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Star Ocean 4 is the only game that can proudly say it annoyed me enough that I started skipping all the cutscenes at around the halfway point. I couldn't take it anymore I was one 'kay away from booking a trip to Japan to punch the character designer in his stupid face. And whoever wrote the dialogue too holy poo poo.

edit: Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the game had a write-up of what happened in a cutscene that you skipped which suggests that at least one person noticed just how awful it was.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 23, 2011

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, the cutscene summary was nice. I skipped all the cutscenes because of how loving horrible they were.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So is this entire thread about JRPGs you guys hate ? :unsmigghh:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Brace posted:

A couple of us have said how good Atelier Totori is, so no?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brace posted:

Not our fault the entire genre went to poo poo years ago.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

Not our fault the entire genre went to poo poo years ago.

And one game redeems everything called Xenoblade.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

mune posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Direct of SO4 do hentai games before the game, and wanted to do one, and was just kinda handed SO4 like "whatever man"? Or was this another game?

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Heavy neutrino posted:

Star Ocean 4 is the only game that can proudly say it annoyed me enough that I started skipping all the cutscenes at around the halfway point. I couldn't take it anymore I was one 'kay away from booking a trip to Japan to punch the character designer in his stupid face. And whoever wrote the dialogue too holy poo poo.

edit: Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the game had a write-up of what happened in a cutscene that you skipped which suggests that at least one person noticed just how awful it was.

I liked the first 3 Star Ocean games despite their flaws so I looked up some Youtube videos to get a preview of Star Ocean 4. In one video, the elf guy ends up calling the 7 year old looking girl a little baby. Then in another cutscene, they end up accidentally kissing and there's suggested romantic tension between them. :psyduck:

I decided to just replay 3 instead and never touch 4.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Death By Yogurt posted:

I liked the first 3 Star Ocean games despite their flaws so I looked up some Youtube videos to get a preview of Star Ocean 4. In one video, the elf guy ends up calling the 7 year old looking girl a little baby. Then in another cutscene, they end up accidentally kissing and there's suggested romantic tension between them. :psyduck:

See, she's actually 15, but she had a traumatic experience that made her not age mentally. Also she stopped aging physically for some reason.

loving Japan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Death By Yogurt posted:

You made the right choice. (Well, aside from replaying 3, but...)

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I didn't think 3 was that bad, other than the atrocious voice acting.
Then again, I never finished it.
I still think 2 is the best in the series and a pretty great JRPG in its own rights.

And while the majority of the recent home console JRPGs have been fairly mediocre, I think some of the handheld stuff has been great.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Hortism posted:

I didn't think 3 was that bad, other than the atrocious voice acting.
Then again, I never finished it.
I still think 2 is the best in the series and a pretty great JRPG in its own rights.

And while the majority of the recent home console JRPGs have been fairly mediocre, I think some of the handheld stuff has been great.

I really enjoy one, It really stood out, which i believe is why i got hooked on the series.

But it is true, The JRPG has been lacking on consoles for quite some time. I'm tired of another FPS or 3rdPS, and just want a good RPG, that has a semi ridiculous story, 50+ hours of play, and a functioning craft system.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG of this generation people, take a look at it!

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Honestly, the worst part about Lymle's voice wasn't the 'kays but the fact that apparently she spoke a word per minute.

Edgie..is..Lymle's...Friend...'Kay :downs:

It got to the point where I just straight up switched to Japanese voices for basically all of Lymle's whole planet.

Then, I immediately get stuck on the next dungeon because apparently I wasted the two thunder ring uses on things I shouldn't have and couldn't find anything to get those uses back up and sent it back.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've never understood the attention the Star Ocean series got. I thought Star Ocean 2, the "good one", was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played, only beaten in overall shittiness by maybe Persona 1. Though for opposite reasons I suppose (Persona 1 had an OK story but The Worst gameplay imaginable, SO2 had OK gameplay but the dumbest plot ever conceived by man).

SO2's plot makes the plot of the Tales' series look like high art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I've never understood the attention the Star Ocean series got. I thought Star Ocean 2, the "good one", was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played, only beaten in overall shittiness by maybe Persona 1. Though for opposite reasons I suppose (Persona 1 had an OK story but The Worst gameplay imaginable, SO2 had OK gameplay but the dumbest plot ever conceived by man).

SO2's plot makes the plot of the Tales' series look like high art.

There weren't a lot rpgs with battle systems that weren't menu jockeying at the time, especially ones that were released in the US.