Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Hooray! A Verizon release for the Galaxy Nexus seemed like a lock, and then it didn't, and now it does again!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/verizon-finally-confirms-it-will-have-the-galaxy-nexus/

Now we just gotta get on Costco's case to make sure they carry it so that I can swap to it for free. Short of that happening I'll probably swap to the RAZR and then sell that to buy a Nexus. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

tismondo posted:

Hooray! A Verizon release for the Galaxy Nexus seemed like a lock, and then it didn't, and now it does again!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/verizon-finally-confirms-it-will-have-the-galaxy-nexus/

Now we just gotta get on Costco's case to make sure they carry it so that I can swap to it for free. Short of that happening I'll probably swap to the RAZR and then sell that to buy a Nexus. :3:

Yup, that's my plan as well.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Im pretty excited. Hopefully it's released around my upgrade time. If not I can wait a bit.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
For one brief shining moment this afternoon, LTE was on in my city finally. 26 Mb down, 3 Mb up. Thought they had decided to turn it on early (it's due to turn on November 17th), but sadly it only lasted 30 minutes. Is this a thing that Verizon does?

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ

tismondo posted:

This phone can't come soon enough. My original storm is on its last legs, and from the few times I've used my friend's charge LTE is absolutely amazing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Chu020 posted:

For one brief shining moment this afternoon, LTE was on in my city finally. 26 Mb down, 3 Mb up. Thought they had decided to turn it on early (it's due to turn on November 17th), but sadly it only lasted 30 minutes. Is this a thing that Verizon does?

Yeah they test stuff like that in city's all the time.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Chu020 posted:

Yep. In my city it was on/off for weeks before they finally threw the switch.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

What are the major differences between the Razr and the Nexus? I'm trying to close in on my final decision as to what will replace my droid.

Is it just:

Pick Nexus if you want the bigger 720p screen/slightly faster proc and instant ICS
Pick Razr if you want smaller/lighter/better build quality/slightly bigger battery but delayed ICS

Is there anything else I'm missing?

eta: Right now I'm leaning towards the Razr and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything critical.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 22, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They actually have the same processor and clock speed.

The nexus also has nfc and it could have a better camera (its unclear how much of the camera goodness is ICS or a combination of hardware and software. )

The razr MAY have better general RF and LTE performance (based on past phones by both companies.)

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Unless something odd happens, the Nexus is going to be the phone developers buy, which means that it's going to stay current for longer than the Razr.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
2 other differences that have flown under the radar: the Razr has a memory card slot while the Nexus is internal only and the Razr's quarter HD screen is miraculously full on Super Amoled Plus. (edit: turns out I'm wrong and its Advanced, meaning Qhd and pentile). I'm sure the Nexus category define 720p screen will be incredible even making do with regular pentile Super Amoled though.

I think Motorola finally got the message they needed to improve their screens.

Developers will probably love the Nexus more, as said above.

LaptopGun fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 23, 2011

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Also, if you're the kind of guy who likes to root and ROM your phone up, the Nexus is literally designed for this, while the Razr will have a locked bootloader that will severely limit (or at least delay) what's possible on it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

LaptopGun posted:

2 other differences that have flown under the radar: the Razr has a memory card slot while the Nexus is internal only and the Razr's quarter HD screen is miraculously full on Super Amoled Plus. I'm sure the Nexus category define 720p screen will be incredible even making do with regular pentile Super Amoled though.

I think Motorola finally got the message they needed to improve their screens.

Developers will probably love the Nexus more, as said above.

I haven't been able to find anything that claims the Razr has a Super AMOLED Plus screen. The Razr also has an OMAP 4430 processor vs. the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus but I doubt that makes a big difference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jfreder posted:

The Razr also has an OMAP 4430 processor vs. the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus but I doubt that makes a big difference.

4430 is 1.0ghz OMAP4
4460 is 1.5ghz OMAP4

That's actually the only difference between the two processors. They're just all binned.

Both the Galaxy Nexus and Razr are at 1.2ghz. So, its either an overclocked 4430 or underclocked 4460. The spec sheet on the Nexus says 4460 while they didn't specify the exact OMAP4 in the Razr but it really doesn't matter. When they run at the same clock speed, they're the exact same processor.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I really wanted to get in on some Verizon actions, especially now with some of these sweet new phones coming out, but the cost of Verizon is so loving expensive that I just can't seem to make myself do it. Even with the 12% employee discount that I get, its still pretty pricey. Why you goes to be so expensive Verizon? :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Porkchop Express posted:

Why you goes to be so expensive Verizon? :smith:

Well, it does actually cost money to make this happen.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

bull3964 posted:

Well, it does actually cost money to make this happen.

I know, but its so many cash dollars. :negative:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Porkchop Express posted:

I really wanted to get in on some Verizon actions, especially now with some of these sweet new phones coming out, but the cost of Verizon is so loving expensive that I just can't seem to make myself do it. Even with the 12% employee discount that I get, its still pretty pricey. Why you goes to be so expensive Verizon? :smith:

Where I live (Long Island NY) Its either ATT or Verizon if you want good coverage. Sprint and T-Mobile are incredibly spotty.

Some people don't have a choice :(

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Really excited that there's two great phones coming out and not just the typical good one and the budget one. What it's coming down to for me between the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr so far is the battery life on the Nexus vs the camera on the Razr, but probably won't know if these are even an issue until reviewers get their hands on the actual phones.

I'm pretty sure the battery life will be fine for the Nexus since the HSPA version has only 30mAh less than the Razr, but I'm not sure how the bells and whistles of ICS and that huge screen will impact it.

For the Razr motorola has been entirely focused on the tech specs of the camera and not at all on its ability to actually take a photo so I'm expecting the same situation here.

I am going to try to hold out until the phone I decide on drops to $200 from amazon which will allow for plenty of times for hands on impressions and reviews to come out.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

e:nvm

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

THF13 posted:

Really excited that there's two great phones coming out and not just the typical good one and the budget one. What it's coming down to for me between the Galaxy Nexus and the Razr so far is the battery life on the Nexus vs the camera on the Razr, but probably won't know if these are even an issue until reviewers get their hands on the actual phones.

I'm pretty sure the battery life will be fine for the Nexus since the HSPA version has only 30mAh less than the Razr, but I'm not sure how the bells and whistles of ICS and that huge screen will impact it.

For the Razr motorola has been entirely focused on the tech specs of the camera and not at all on its ability to actually take a photo so I'm expecting the same situation here.

I am going to try to hold out until the phone I decide on drops to $200 from amazon which will allow for plenty of times for hands on impressions and reviews to come out.

Good news...the HTC Rezound is rumoured to be releasing on the same day as well, so you'll actually have THREE choices! It hasn't really seen much in the way of publicity since the Razr and Nexus kind of stole the spotlight, but if the other two fail to impress you for whatever reason, you'll still have a fallback.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Penguissimo posted:

Good news...the HTC Rezound is rumoured to be releasing on the same day as well, so you'll actually have THREE choices! It hasn't really seen much in the way of publicity since the Razr and Nexus kind of stole the spotlight, but if the other two fail to impress you for whatever reason, you'll still have a fallback.

Do we know what type of screen the Rezound has? It's supposed to be 720p, but I don't recall if it's pentile or whatever.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Athenry posted:

Do we know what type of screen the Rezound has? It's supposed to be 720p, but I don't recall if it's pentile or whatever.

720p non-Pentile LCD, I believe. Also "Beats Audio", which so far has seemed to mean "EQ that cranks the bass up, but pumped through HTC's trademark lovely DAC".

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Beats Audio includes a Wolfson DAC

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reviews of the Sensation XE have no indication that they are using a Wolfson DAC.

This isn't something I've seen anywhere, where are you sourcing this info?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

bull3964 posted:

Reviews of the Sensation XE have no indication that they are using a Wolfson DAC.

This isn't something I've seen anywhere, where are you sourcing this info?

Every HP product I've had my hands on that's had Beats Audio has also included a Wolfson DAC. That sorta points to a standard and not just an EQ setting.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Matlock posted:

Every HP product I've had my hands on that's had Beats Audio has also included a Wolfson DAC. That sorta points to a standard and not just an EQ setting.

That might be true for HP, but this article seems to indicate that the Beats designation stops with the EQ in the XE.

edit: also the supplied earbuds I guess, but that still can't get around the legendarily-terrible HTC DAC.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, all the reviews of the sensation XE so far points to it just being bundled earbuds and an EQ.

I believe beats audio has been hacked into other HTC handsets at this point with similar results as the sensation XE.

We'll have to wait for a teardown of the Rezound (which I'm sure will come quickly after release), but I'm betting HTC hasn't done anything to the hardware of the phones for Beats.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

jfreder posted:

I haven't been able to find anything that claims the Razr has a Super AMOLED Plus screen. The Razr also has an OMAP 4430 processor vs. the 4460 in the Galaxy Nexus but I doubt that makes a big difference.

Turns out I misread the spec sheet. The Razr screen actually says Super Amoled Advanced, which just means Qhd . Google points to Advanced being Pentile and still decently high pixel density. drat, I really got my hopes up.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I wondered that. Everyone was saying it was non pentile bit there was no plus. Confusion.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Logged into VZW to pay my bill today and they're already pushing the Droid Razr.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I've had unlimited data since about 20 months ago when I bought my Droid. My Droid died, I bought a 4S and they switched me to 2gb/mo. Was this a mistake, should I have been able to keep my unlimited data? I'm not the primary account holder, if it matters.

Should I have my girlfriend call and threaten to switch to Sprint if I don't get my unlimited data back?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Traxis posted:

I've had unlimited data since about 20 months ago when I bought my Droid. My Droid died, I bought a 4S and they switched me to 2gb/mo. Was this a mistake, should I have been able to keep my unlimited data? I'm not the primary account holder, if it matters.

Should I have my girlfriend call and threaten to switch to Sprint if I don't get my unlimited data back?

No they shouldn't have switched you and yes you should bitch at them.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Traxis posted:

Did you do this at an Apple store? I know that when I bought one for my wife, the POS app the salesman was using had the 2GB plan at the very top of the list. His first question was "So you want the 2GB data for $30/month, right?"

The unlimited one was way at the bottom out of sight and he had to scroll to the end to find it.

I wonder how many other people have been knocked off their unlimited plans because of this.

Also, I keep wondering if the "you can keep your unlimited if you upgrade to an LTE handset" policy will go away whenever an LTE iPhone rolls out.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Ok so I have a scenario here that hopefully you all can help me figure out the best course of action for.

I recently switched from T-Mobile to Verizon when I did a pre-order iPhone 4S. My wife stayed behind on T-Mobile because her contract isn't up until next year. What I didn't realize when I made this move was that changing the T-Mobile family plan to a single-line plan would require a contract extension.

So now I'm saying gently caress it and pulling her over to Verizon to join my account here and eating the ETF. The issue is that I wanted to get her an iPhone as well but they are backordered everywhere. The local Verizon store doesn't have any nor an ETA, and Apple's site says that it's 1-2 weeks and all of the in-store reservations simply say "unavailable"

I'm fine with ordering online and waiting, but I want to get her line moved over in the next few days as that is when our T-mobile billing cycle ends. We've already put feelers out to see if any friends have a spare Verizon phone we could use for a few weeks but I wasn't sure if there were any other good options for a stop-gap while waiting for the iPhone?

Alternatively, is there another place we could check to try and find an iPhone in stock?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Ok so I have a scenario here that hopefully you all can help me figure out the best course of action for.

I recently switched from T-Mobile to Verizon when I did a pre-order iPhone 4S. My wife stayed behind on T-Mobile because her contract isn't up until next year. What I didn't realize when I made this move was that changing the T-Mobile family plan to a single-line plan would require a contract extension.

So now I'm saying gently caress it and pulling her over to Verizon to join my account here and eating the ETF. The issue is that I wanted to get her an iPhone as well but they are backordered everywhere. The local Verizon store doesn't have any nor an ETA, and Apple's site says that it's 1-2 weeks and all of the in-store reservations simply say "unavailable"

I'm fine with ordering online and waiting, but I want to get her line moved over in the next few days as that is when our T-mobile billing cycle ends. We've already put feelers out to see if any friends have a spare Verizon phone we could use for a few weeks but I wasn't sure if there were any other good options for a stop-gap while waiting for the iPhone?

Alternatively, is there another place we could check to try and find an iPhone in stock?

You can buy a Palm Pixi Plus on Amazon for $35. I used one while waiting for the 4S to come out. WebOS is kind of neat, the phone is pretty slow and crappy though. I guess you could always return it once you find an iPhone. I'm keeping mine as a backup phone.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes. Any largish place that sells Verizon Phones. Best Buy and the like.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

PorkFat posted:

Yes. Any largish place that sells Verizon Phones. Best Buy and the like.

No love. A friend has a phone we can use so just gonna go that route and order online from Apple once the line's been ported. Thanks!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

vanilla slimfast posted:

What time did you check the in-store reservations on Apple's site? They will all say "unavailable" if you check before 9pm local time, and they turn unavailable again after midnight or if the day's stock is already sold out. Also, at 6pm they release whatever phones were reserved for that day and not picked up yet, so you can always try stopping into a store at that time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

What time did you check the in-store reservations on Apple's site? They will all say "unavailable" if you check before 9pm local time, and they turn unavailable again after midnight or if the day's stock is already sold out. Also, at 6pm they release whatever phones were reserved for that day and not picked up yet, so you can always try stopping into a store at that time too.

Oh snap, I guess I misunderstood that, I was looking at it this morning. I'll check at 9pm tonight

Thanks!

• Locked thread