Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I just found something really rad and I want to share it. Its not post rock, but its hard to classify, and I enjoy it for the same reason I enjoy most post rock (patient and gradual beauty). This seems like the best place.

http://grooveshark.com/#/artist/William+Basinski/114868
I am referring to anything on "The Disintegration Loops" albums.

http://grooveshark.com/s/Dlp+5/2FIOp2?src=5
This song in particular is great.

William Basinski takes old analogue tape format music and physically cuts sections, then loops and manipulates them. The Disintegration Loops are a selection of tapes that were about 30 years old.... As he was digitizing these old tapes, the iron oxide began slowly falling away from the plastic tape... This lead to a gradual breakdown of the constant loop. What begins as a soothing piece of ghostly ethereal music slowly and torturously devolves to a laboriously percussive, crawling struggle. Very intense. I hope someone else enjoys this as much as I have.

warning - some pieces are about an hour long and skipping around will not give the correct effect... the gradual decline is what is beautiful. Put it in in the background while you stalk that girl you like on facebook or read fanfic or whatever.

VVV - I agree. Didn't see an ambient music thread and I wanted to share. I don't know about everyone else, but usually my "ambient" moods coincide with my "post" moods.

JesusDoesVegas fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Disintegration Loops are cool, but they're much more ambient than they are post-rock. And I think the main one is overlong at just over an hour. The concepts are neat but could have been done in much less time. The backstory of the album is pretty awesome, too.

Also, more post-metal rather than post-rock, but Russian Circles' new album leaked and is loving fantastic. I think Batu's my favorite track on there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Z-C1F9YBY

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Wow, Russian Circles can do no wrong. New album is incredible!

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 21, 2011

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Really don't know if this is the thread for it, but I just feel like I need to say somewhere how loving good the new M83 album is. It's seriously incredible.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The curly long haired ginger guy isn't in And So I Watch You From Afar any more :(. Always thought of him as the 'front man'. Still one of the funnest, most enjoyable live bands around though.

New Russian Circles is amazing.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Junkenstein posted:

The curly long haired ginger guy isn't in And So I Watch You From Afar any more :(. Always thought of him as the 'front man'. Still one of the funnest, most enjoyable live bands around though.

New Russian Circles is amazing.

Yeah, Tony leaving was a bit of a shock to say the least! I saw them in Cardiff last night and they are still as loving awesome as ever thank god.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

maduin posted:

Really don't know if this is the thread for it, but I just feel like I need to say somewhere how loving good the new M83 album is. It's seriously incredible.

M83's not really considered post-rock as much as they are shoegaze, and they're not as much shoegaze as they are electrogaze, and even that might not be the right term for them. They're kind of hard to place and I love that. New album rules. Before The Dawn Heals Us is still my favorite album of theirs, but this is definitely #2 now.

Also, some self-promotion, but whatever. This is the post-rock thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDKV1ifxuA

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Holy poo poo, new Russian Circles is perfect

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

M83's not really considered post-rock as much as they are shoegaze, and they're not as much shoegaze as they are electrogaze, and even that might not be the right term for them. They're kind of hard to place and I love that. New album rules. Before The Dawn Heals Us is still my favorite album of theirs, but this is definitely #2 now.

Also, some self-promotion, but whatever. This is the post-rock thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDKV1ifxuA

this owns, bought your other album :cheers:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parachute Underwear posted:

this owns, bought your other album :cheers:

Awesome! Thanks! :D

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bagpuss posted:

Yeah, Tony leaving was a bit of a shock to say the least! I saw them in Cardiff last night and they are still as loving awesome as ever thank god.

Yeah, me too. Best band of Swn so far, although that was to be expected.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

the Bunt posted:

Holy poo poo, new Russian Circles is perfect

Confirmed. Holy poo poo.

Also, Silent Running is getting 4/5 and 5/5 reviews everywhere, and apparently can be listened to without the movie and it's good enough to stand up on it's own.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

A bit on the short side, but the new Rusian Circles is seriously :gizz: and lovingly heavy.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka1ym7S3F3w&feature=related

I can never listen to EITS again

edit: Listening to Empros for the second time, and yeah. This is pretty loving great. Can't wait to listen to it on speakers.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 31, 2011

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
It's not really post rock but Paul Wolinski of 65daysofstatic released an album today under the name Polinski and it sounds pretty fun from the single listen that I've been able to give it so far.

It's also streaming here: http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/features/premiere-polinski-labyrinths

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I just found out about Russian Circles from stumbling upon a Spin magazine blurb on them. Are all their albums as good as Empros?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

TyChan posted:

I just found out about Russian Circles from stumbling upon a Spin magazine blurb on them. Are all their albums as good as Empros?

I think Geneva is my favorite so far, but yeah Russian Circles always own.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Honestly I still like Enter best of all, maybe I'm weird. Empros is good but I'm not feeling it as much after a few listens. Maybe I need to crank it next time I have the house to myself.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

TyChan posted:

Yeah. They haven't had a bad or mediocre album yet imo.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Honestly I still like Enter best of all, maybe I'm weird. Empros is good but I'm not feeling it as much after a few listens. Maybe I need to crank it next time I have the house to myself.

I'll always love Enter since it was one of the first post-rock albums I listened to and got to see them live when they were touring for it, but Empros is definitely one of those albums you're meant to blast as loud as you can (maybe with a bit of :420: too).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

While not exactly post-rock, I saw this on Facebook earlier and some of you will probably get a kick out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRKNdilMLA

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

No, I'm pretty sure Enter is still objectively their strongest album.

All their stuff is pretty amazing though. I like Empros quite a bit, save for the hilariously out of place vocal outro.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

While not exactly post-rock, I saw this on Facebook earlier and some of you will probably get a kick out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoRKNdilMLA

Hang on, they're a band that does funky jazz covers of just Caspian stuff? That is amazing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thehustler posted:

Hang on, they're a band that does funky jazz covers of just Caspian stuff? That is amazing.

Apparently they just have this one song out for now, but yep, seems that way :3: I really hope they do more because that one I posted was great.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know this is likely true for all post-metal, but Russian Circles' Empros is very loving creepy and phenomenal and just fitting to drive down empty streets at night to while you've got your windows down and the cold wind rushes past your face.

chang with a k
Sep 11, 2006
Not my cup of tea, but still, Jazzpian is kinda cute.

My friends are previewing their full-length on Bandcamp until this Sunday. 'ave a listen: http://ispellitnature.bandcamp.com/

And you can still download their EP for free there, too.

Edit: LP preview is over! :(

It's back up now that LP's been released.

chang with a k fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 29, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

leaves of logic posted:

Not my cup of tea, but still, Jazzpian is kinda cute.

My friends are previewing their full-length on Bandcamp until this Sunday. 'ave a listen: http://ispellitnature.bandcamp.com/

And you can still download their EP for free there, too.

This is really quite good but I have some constructive criticism for them, namely their delay settings on their pedals need to sort-of-match the tempo of the music so it doesn't all muddy into each other, and maybe some quantization to tighten it up a bit.

Otherwise I'm loving it.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat now though.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Hey, Rageaholic Monkey, something your band might be interested in: http://www.facebook.com/postrock.instrumental/posts/10150461475486934

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hey, Rageaholic Monkey, something your band might be interested in: http://www.facebook.com/postrock.instrumental/posts/10150461475486934

Oh poo poo, that's awesome! I've already liked their Facebook page, so I'll post something about Aiua on there.

That's good to know. Thanks man! :)

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I did this for my band as well. Thanks for posting it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I have Silent Running.

It is glorious.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Is Silent Running only available on vinyl and digital? No CD?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Turambar posted:

Is Silent Running only available on vinyl and digital? No CD?

I think so, for now.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I am listening to Silent Running. The walls in our house are shaking.
They put the whole thing up on their website here for free for 24 hours if anyone's still not convinced it's worth buying.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to Silent Running now and it loving rules. Scattered Disk is my favorite so far, and now Burial Scene's on and I've been loving that one.

The album sounds way too loud for my studio monitors which I use as my computer speakers, though. I'm gonna have to listen to it in my car or something to really appreciate it.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
How has there been a new Russian Circles album out for a month and a half without me knowing about it? What the hell do we have an emergency broadcast system for if not this EXACT situation!?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Guliani is HOT posted:

How has there been a new Russian Circles album out for a month and a half without me knowing about it? What the hell do we have an emergency broadcast system for if not this EXACT situation!?

I'm guessing you haven't checked this thread within the past month or two ;)

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

You're doing yourself a disservice by wasting time posting here instead of grabbing that album as quick as humanly possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In case anyone's interested, I've parted ways with Aiua (the post-rock band I was in that I posted about several times in here). Being in the band was a great experience. Hell, I got to play a show with loving Caspian! And I had fun at pretty much every show I've played with them over the last two and a half years or so. The guys are all great musicians, and I wish them luck with all their future endeavors.

It's back to making solo music for me, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like Empros. It was just so dull and derivative to me.