Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Calaveron posted:

Man I beat SO4 pretty thoroughly (didn't do the secret postgame dungeon, though) and the only thing I recall is the name EDGE MAVERICK and a girly voice going "'kay". What's the deal?

It's a completionists nightmare, what with the billions of boring shop fetch quests and battle trophies that to efficiently complete requires reading an FAQ that I swear to god is longer than most modern novels.

Some of the quests are time limited to the plot, as are the treasure chests one of the planets blows up and one of the character's leaves the party for good about two thirds of the way through so if you want his 100 battle trophies you'll need to grind the gently caress out of everything.

The trophy/achievement list is basically horrible if you want to plat/1000G it and requires something stupid like nine playthroughs to complete everything.

Loved the combat system though, and that's what got me through to the final boss, and I think the battle trophy system would be good if it worked like in mass effect where getting achievements unlocked stat bonusses and whatnot.

TL;DR
Star Ocean 4 is good solid JRPG ruined by three or four aspergic design choices and a horrible plot with terrible characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Polite Tim posted:

TL;DR
Star Ocean 4 is good solid JRPG ruined by three or four aspergic design choices and a horrible plot with terrible characters

This seems to be a trait in common with a LOT of games in the genre.

Stupid Human Tricks are a terrible way to keep people playing.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

YOURFRIEND posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Direct of SO4 do hentai games before the game, and wanted to do one, and was just kinda handed SO4 like "whatever man"? Or was this another game?
That would explain so much. gently caress SO4 was terrible

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

waffle posted:

That would explain so much. gently caress SO4 was terrible

Mitsuo Iwao is a bit of a mystery. He shows up in 'special thanks' sections in quite a few games, but hasn't gotten a direct mention in many.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Has anyone here heard of or played Live a Live? It's honestly one of the most bizarre(hilarious) RPGs I've ever seen.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I played it very briefly when the English patch came out, and I really should get back to it one day. I remember being pretty terrible at it though, I got stuck on at least two of the routes. In some ways it reminded me of SaGa Frontier.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Nate RFB posted:

I've never understood the attention the Star Ocean series got. I thought Star Ocean 2, the "good one", was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played, only beaten in overall shittiness by maybe Persona 1. Though for opposite reasons I suppose (Persona 1 had an OK story but The Worst gameplay imaginable, SO2 had OK gameplay but the dumbest plot ever conceived by man).

SO2's plot makes the plot of the Tales' series look like high art.

Try playing Star Ocean 3 and you will be wishing you could be playing 2 again. You spend like half the game on a planet loving with the local conflicts (gently caress the prime directive) for no reason other than you have time to kill. Seriously the first half of the game's plot has nothing to do with anything.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

On Live A Live: I beat the future one, but got stuck in both the ninja and the giant robot ones. I was too weak to proceed in the ninja, and didn't feel like fighting through the WAY TOO MANY enemies in the giant robot one in order to figure out what I was supposed to do next. Not their most polished SNES game.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Can I get some opinions on Eternal Sonata? I need a current gen RPG and it seems like all the good ones are on PS3 or Wii. Neither of which I own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

Can I get some opinions on Eternal Sonata? I need a current gen RPG and it seems like all the good ones are on PS3 or Wii. Neither of which I own.

Kinda pretty, very loving dull, incoherent and uninteresting story.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Eternal Sonata really is beautiful, especially considering it came out so early in the 360's lifespan.

The battle system answers the question "What if the Tales/Star Ocean battle systems were slow and painfully repetitive?"

Interestingly, despite being anime in most of the worst ways the game has actually managed to make me genuinely laugh at some of its jokes. It's certainly not all bad and if all you're looking for is an RPG, ANY RPG, then go for it.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Wendell posted:

On Live A Live: I beat the future one, but got stuck in both the ninja and the giant robot ones. I was too weak to proceed in the ninja, and didn't feel like fighting through the WAY TOO MANY enemies in the giant robot one in order to figure out what I was supposed to do next. Not their most polished SNES game.
Live a Live at times does really need a walkthrough since the gameplay decisions are really obtuse. For the ninja level, you can fight any one in that level, meaning you can keep leveling up over and over making the game pretty easy. For the psychic (or giant robot one?) level you can avoid the enemies on the overworld map with some practice. Although, you said you beat the one where you play as a robot (future one?) and that's pretty much the most difficult one to figure out. You need to give everyone coffee to advance with no hint to actually do that. And in some weird way that's why this game has a unique experience. Almost everything from the music to gameplay is very obtuse that it's almost comical.

My favorite examples would be... in the medieval level where there are random encounters, pirates only spawn in the snowy mountain area. In the psychic level, a woman's underwear is the best gear in that section. In the ninja level, there is a woman being spinned on an old mans bed. Then if you kill her, she comes back as an unkillable demon that only follows you around. Sometimes when the main villain demon is mentioned in some way a really annoying distorted bass sound plays, sadly it never made it to the soundtrack. The list goes on and on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Wendell posted:

On Live A Live: I beat the future one, but got stuck in both the ninja and the giant robot ones.
Yeah, I enjoyed LiveALive, but there were way too many weird "talk to this person/go to this room" switches in that game. Completely broke the flow up much worse than random encounters ever could.

Douche Bag posted:

Worst loving game I've ever played in my life. The colors are pretty, but everything else... you know what, you'd probably have more fun letting a horse piss in your mouth. Unless you like Naruto, or are thirteen years old, I'd stay far, far away. The game literally boasts an unironic fifteen minute monologue before the character finally loving dies. It's like everything TERRIBLE about anime, from "teenage" girls who look like they're ten voraciously thirsting for some forty-year-old guy's dick to inferred incest to babbling on about existentialism like they're a nineteenth century Frenchman distilled into a pure and unadulterated pretentious pseudointellectual monstrosity on one HD-DVD.

It is the Chopinime.

Check out the Dolphin emulator thread and import Xenoblade and The Last Story instead.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 23, 2011

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Oh yeah, I forgot the Chopin thing for a minute there. If you're going to make a Chopin themed game, why not make a Chopin themed game? All they did was put a character named Chopin into a bad anime, and name everyone else after music notation. Deep.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

If you need a good one on 360, try resonance of fate.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cityinthesea posted:

If you need a good one on 360, try resonance of fate.

I'll take a look at it. I'm playing Blue Dragon right now and it's not half bad. Granted I didn't go into it expecting much.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
anyone care to recommend any PSX rpgs that weren't hugely popular or well reviewed but that you still thought were really good? I've played pretty much all the big ones and some others too, kind of want to see if there are any games people think were much better than how they were generally received

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Douche Bag posted:

I'll take a look at it. I'm playing Blue Dragon right now and it's not half bad. Granted I didn't go into it expecting much.

Resonance is very good, Has some cool ideas, but the world map upset me to no end. Especially once you ran out of "blocks" to place. And had to go grind to get the one you needed.

Eternal Sonata is a waste of time, Albeit the idea is cool, Just executed wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

anyone care to recommend any PSX rpgs that weren't hugely popular or well reviewed but that you still thought were really good? I've played pretty much all the big ones and some others too, kind of want to see if there are any games people think were much better than how they were generally received

Brigandine, Vandal Hearts, Musashi, Threads of Fate, Chocobo's Dungeon, Legend of Legaia, Vanguard Bandits, SaGa Frontier 2 (well, the music and art direction was really good, and the story was okay but too disjointed and underexplained to be really good, but the gameplay is unfairly and stupidly balls-hard unless you overgrind), Wild ARMs 1, the Ogre Battle port, Legend of Mana, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 23, 2011

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Douche Bag posted:

I need a current gen RPG and it seems like all the good ones are on PS3 or Wii. Neither of which I own.

Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia are on 360 as well. Most of the jRPGs this generation are multi-platform.

Paperhouse posted:

Gotta clarify what you mean by the big ones.
I've played pretty much the entire PSX RPG catalog, but here are the ones off the top of my head.

Straight jRPGs:
- Legend of Legaia - Had an interesting (at the time) combat system. Don't remember much of the story.
- Wild ARMs / Wild ARMs 2 - Tradtional jRPG combat, but in a great setting. Lots of puzzle solving elements in dungeons.
- Dragon Quest VII - This qualifies as a "big one" in my mind, but whatever. It's a Dragon Quest game and the longest one at that. Prepare to put in at least 80 hours to even complete the main story.

Games with RPG elements:
- Azure Dreams - Roguelike-ish with Pokemon/monster training.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gyoru posted:

- Wild ARMs / Wild ARMs 2 - Tradtional jRPG combat, but in a great setting. Lots of puzzle solving elements in dungeons.

The only reason I can't recommend WA2 is because of its schizophrenic translation that makes it amazing, terrible, and full of nonsensical trial-and-error puzzles because the clues literally do not make any sense in the English language whatsoever. Or the puzzle near the end of the game about gods and the days of the week, except the translation was loving retarded and kept getting their words wrong or pulled the right god from the wrong pantheon. ODIN'S DAY was the fourth button you had to press (thor's day) and Day of Zeus (saturn's day) was the sixth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The only reason I can't recommend WA2 is because of its schizophrenic translation that makes it amazing, terrible, and full of nonsensical trial-and-error puzzles because the clues literally do not make any sense in the English language whatsoever. Or the puzzle near the end of the game about gods and the days of the week, except the translation was loving retarded and kept getting their words wrong or pulled the right god from the wrong pantheon. ODIN'S DAY was the fourth button you had to press (thor's day) and Day of Zeus (saturn's day) was the sixth.

God, that loving puzzle. I spent hours upon hours there, confused as hell as to why I wasn't solving it when I knew I had the right answer. I eventually looked at a guide in the book store because of that and was unreasonably angry when I found out the solution.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's a shame, because while I didn't get very far in Wild Arms 2 it seems like it's a pretty good game hidden beneath that garbage translation.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm surprised there hasn't been a fan retranslation project.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh yeah, the story was actually pretty interesting and clever. I mean, it had its... y'know, its moments, but overall, it was a new and different thing in a good way. If there's one game that deserves a fan retranslation, gently caress the twentieth fanslation of FF6 or whatever other game we have dozens of already, it's WA2.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gonna rep that Blue Dragon. Classic RPG with some good improvements albeit slow combat fps. Shoulda been released on the PC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh yeah, the story was actually pretty interesting and clever. I mean, it had its... y'know, its moments, but overall, it was a new and different thing in a good way. If there's one game that deserves a fan retranslation, gently caress the twentieth fanslation of FF6 or whatever other game we have dozens of already, it's WA2.

It's really weird to me that there haven't been more fan retranslations of PSX games. I mean... well, loving Final Fantasy VII has never gotten a fan retranslation. You'd think at least that would but nope.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Paperhouse posted:

Shadow Hearts 1, 2 and 3. Basically a bell curve here: 1 is semi-mediocre but serves as a major story driver in SH2 (although you can skip it and get the whole thing summarized in two lines if you really wanted). SH2 is the peak of the series and is an incredible game. SH3 is fine in the gameplay department but nosedives in the story department since it doesn't have much to do with the plot of SH1/SH2.

[e]Herp derp these are PS2 games. WELL I STAND BY MY CASE.

For more obscure PSX rpgs that haven't been mentioned, I'd probably go with Vandal Hearts 1, Alundra 1 (hell yes), Kartia (SRPG), and Arc the Lad 1+2 (but not 3).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 23, 2011

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Gearhead posted:

This seems to be a trait in common with a LOT of games in the genre.

Stupid Human Tricks are a terrible way to keep people playing.

It's like Pavlov's dogs, if Pavlov was a pedophile furry

EDIT: The Shadow Hearts games are pretty much the gold standard of sufferable weeaboo JRPGs, everything is just so perfectly designed in SH2 and the characters are crazy and Japanese without being creepy or annoying.

A vampire wrestler smacking a giant bug in the face with an oversized fish is a sight I have yet to surpass

Polite Tim fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 23, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wild Arms 2 really killed the WA series for me too. I tried to play some of the later ones and sort of got into the one that introduced the hexagonal grid or whatever. But the story really started to grate on me and I eventually stopped for whatever reason.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I loving loved Wild Arms 5 up until the end when I wasn't high enough level to beat a boss. This is not a game that is good for grinding in, so I just stopped.

The story is so cliche that it actually stole its three main characters straight out of Skies of Arcadia, but it's as sincere in its bright eyed love of adventure as that game was and that is a drat good thing. It also some pretty good puzzle dungeons, as is series standard.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I've never understood the attention the Star Ocean series got. I thought Star Ocean 2, the "good one", was one of the worst JRPGs I've ever played, only beaten in overall shittiness by maybe Persona 1. Though for opposite reasons I suppose (Persona 1 had an OK story but The Worst gameplay imaginable, SO2 had OK gameplay but the dumbest plot ever conceived by man).

SO2's plot makes the plot of the Tales' series look like high art.

Star Ocean 2's plot wan't particularly interesting or anything, but it wasn't exatly bad. I mean, it's not SO3 or 4.
What's to hate? It's fairly generic in terms of JRPG stories.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wendell posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot the Chopin thing for a minute there. If you're going to make a Chopin themed game, why not make a Chopin themed game? All they did was put a character named Chopin into a bad anime, and name everyone else after music notation. Deep.

Hey, it had those informative powerpoints in between chapters. :colbert: I think it's a decent game myself, but I'm incredibly biased because Chopin is my favorite composer, and also tubasword.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH
Very comprehensive OP!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Wendell posted:

I loving loved Wild Arms 5 up until the end when I wasn't high enough level to beat a boss. This is not a game that is good for grinding in, so I just stopped.

The story is so cliche that it actually stole its three main characters straight out of Skies of Arcadia, but it's as sincere in its bright eyed love of adventure as that game was and that is a drat good thing. It also some pretty good puzzle dungeons, as is series standard.

I legitimately enjoyed Dean as a protagonist. It was nice having a leader be confident without being arrogant, and be the one to inspire and motivate the other party members instead usually the other way around.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Very comprehensive OP!

Nice! Only 75 pages late.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ha, he's right about the OP. I can't help but laugh at the "This space saved" post with no updates ever.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Volitaire posted:

Nice! Only 75 pages late.

It's never too late to comment on the quality of an exhaustively worked-on OP. I apologize for not compulsively refreshing the Games forum often enough to notice every thread when it's first created.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Douche Bag posted:

I quit this game about 7 hours in. It has some pretty interesting things going for it (Chopin trippin balls, pretty looking areas). The game was just a bit too kiddy for me, even for a jRPG. If you can deal with half your party being 5 year olds and a repetitive battle system, then you might be able to make it through. Otherwise, maybe check out Lost Odyssey or Resonance of Fate for the 360.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Hortism posted:

Star Ocean 2's plot wan't particularly interesting or anything, but it wasn't exatly bad. I mean, it's not SO3 or 4.
What's to hate? It's fairly generic in terms of JRPG stories.
Let me ask, are you a fan of Lunar Silver Star Story? That's the kind of company I put SO2 in. It's a sort of just something that permeates throughout the whole game, from the dialogue, to the pacing, to the "twists". Hell I remember thinking something was off the moment the main male character's monlogue and thinking it was the dumbest written thing I had ever heard. That really kind of set the tone. I remember thinking it was OK (though the in-battle dialogue was laughably bad), and then whoops the planet was destroyed and it just went to hell. And that "airship", what the gently caress was that supposed to be? I've seen greater effort put into SNES games for overworld travel.

E: Also, the word "barrels" is literally the only thing memorable about the cast of characters.

E 2: It didn't help I guess that at the time I had just finished Xenogears (still my favorite JRPG to this day), and the same person who had recommended that to me also mentioned SO2 as being "just as good." I don't even remember his name but 10 years later and that guy still needs to gently caress off.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 23, 2011