Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SiB posted:

Now we didnt do any diesel stuff because they will not be here til next year.... We only get one diesel here and that will be the 200hp, 300tq twin sequential turbo, 2.2L I think and of course the fuel economy will be outstanding.

Will that be available in a car or only the full-size SUVs (CX-7/9)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005

Geoj posted:

Will that be available in a car or only the full-size SUVs (CX-7/9)?

CX-7 and CX-5 yes, CX-9 no, M6 yes, M3 not sure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If they can pull off the CX5 as a sporty SUV with the diesel I would be all over it. That is assuming you can get a manual on something other than the stripped down base package like the Mazda5.

SiB
May 6, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

If they can pull off the CX5 as a sporty SUV with the diesel I would be all over it. That is assuming you can get a manual on something other than the stripped down base package like the Mazda5.

I have heard you can get whatever option combination you want... pick from gas, diesel, AWD, FWD, auto and manual.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SiB posted:

I have heard you can get whatever option combination you want... pick from gas, diesel, AWD, FWD, auto and manual.

I sincerely hope this is the case, since it's not today...i.e. the manual Mazda5 only being available in the cheapest trim.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Diesel AWD with a 6 speed would be dreamy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I'm stressing out over tires for my MS3. Its almost time for replacements, I have a track day coming up and don't think my stock RE050A's will pass tech. Anyway, trying to decide between what I think I have it narrowed down to, either the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport or the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110. Both are reviewed well enough, but the one thing that seems to come up often is that compared to the stockers, they don't feel quite as sharp in quick adjustments, and that they may have more sidewall flex. Thats the one thing I love about my car, how precise and sharp it feels, I actually really like the stock tires, and it would kill me to lose that with new ones. Anybody have any advice?

opengl fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've had the RE050As, Hankook RS3s, and now Kumho Ecsta Sport LEs on my car and I can't say I actually noticed any loss of 'sharpness' on any of them, and I went from 215/45R18 to 225/40R18 at the same time that I went to the RS3s. Keep in mind that the RE050A is one of the older tires on the market now.

I haven't personally driven the V12s, but my brother has them on his '06 Civic Si and he likes them a lot. I'll try to ask him about what he thinks of the stiffness compared to whatever was OEM on the car.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I've got the RE760s on my 2010 speed. I'd say they're just as good as stock if not better.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get some Dunlop Star Specs

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
I've got the Hankooks in stock size. I like them fairly well - car still feels stable and all. Still quite grippy and holds well in turns, but I don't have a track nearby to see if they hold up to those conditions.

As far as a street tire goes, I think they're a great tire for what they cost.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thanks for the input thus far. Here's what I'm trying to decide. My stockers are almost definitely done for, but I could easily get a few more months out of them on the road. My track day is November 13. Ideally I'd run these through the track day, then replace them after (can actually wait until next year, since mid to late November is when I put my winter wheels/tires on anyway). But I'm afraid they won't pass tech. My worry is getting brand new tires, and tearing them up during the track day. I anticipate 6-7 20 minute sessions. It's a ~2 mile road course. Here's some pictures of my current tires.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

If it were me, I'd run with those tires, but probably best to go ahead and ask the people in charge of the track day if that'll pass.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah I shot them an email with the photos, hoping to hear back soon.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Hey guys, blue '08 speed3 owner checking in here. Love the car, always an awesome ride. Got a noob question regarding the mods though. :downs:

I am currently stock and don't intend to race the car, but I've read here and there that the stock cold air intake is woefully restricted on the gen 1 speed3. I've read tales of up to 10% fuel economy increase with a CAI mod. Is this true? Are there any other components (exhaust, ECU reflash) that I must install with such a mod?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
With a CAI you definitely need a reflash. I've read that a better first mod is the stage 1 flash from a Cobb AP. After that, buy a CAI, DP, etc.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
OK thanks. I assume I can just reflash it back any time I need to take it in for warranty service?..

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MetaJew posted:

With a CAI you definitely need a reflash. I've read that a better first mod is the stage 1 flash from a Cobb AP. After that, buy a CAI, DP, etc.

You don't need a reflash for a CAI? I mean, it would help, but the CAI by itself helps a good bit.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bovril Delight posted:

You don't need a reflash for a CAI? I mean, it would help, but the CAI by itself helps a good bit.

Reflash isn't necessary; I have an CAI as my only power mod and don't have an AP/Hypertech.

If anything I'd say that an AP is the best $/hp mod to buy for your first power mod. I've spent more on drivability though, so could also suggest shifter bushings or a rear motor mount.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Anyone have any clue whats up with the trims of the 2012 Mazda3? The mazda website says nothing about a Mazda3S Touring, only a Grand Touring. Yet the guy at the dealership is trying to sell me a Touring. Looks pretty close to the grand touring, but no leather, I am so confused!

(I wish my wife wanted a MS3 :( )

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

air- posted:

Reflash isn't necessary; I have an CAI as my only power mod and don't have an AP/Hypertech.

If anything I'd say that an AP is the best $/hp mod to buy for your first power mod. I've spent more on drivability though, so could also suggest shifter bushings or a rear motor mount.

Absolutely. RMM and CAI are the two best bang for buck on this car.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Bovril Delight posted:

I disagree. Any time you're messing with your AFR you really need to retune. Maybe the MZR isn't as finicky as the Subaru engines, but I wouldn't risk it.

Have either of done any data logging both before and after, adding a CAI without a new tune?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

spidoman posted:

Anyone have any clue whats up with the trims of the 2012 Mazda3? The mazda website says nothing about a Mazda3S Touring, only a Grand Touring. Yet the guy at the dealership is trying to sell me a Touring. Looks pretty close to the grand touring, but no leather, I am so confused!

(I wish my wife wanted a MS3 :( )

Im pretty sure the 12s are all Touring, and the only real option you can add that gets expensive is Tech package.
There are not 2 versions that have different types of seat trim on the speed3.

My 12 has everything possible and I checked the window sticker and it simply says Touring and then Tech Package under Optional Equipment.

Are you in the US? The Mazda site for me shows the exact opposite. Touring every where and no mention of a grand touring on the 12s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I disagree. Any time you're messing with your AFR you really need to retune. Maybe the MZR isn't as finicky as the Subaru engines, but I wouldn't risk it.

Have either of done any data logging both before and after, adding a CAI without a new tune?

I've yet to do any real logging but I know these cars run on the rich side stock. I still get a decent bit of soot out of my '07 with the Mazdaspeed CAI on it (with the air straightener added after the fact). My car came with the CAI when I got it so I can't switch back to stock and do any logging.

I still really need to get these FSDs on the car, and after that I might do a rear motor mount.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I was constantly cleaning the black soot off the rear bumper on my white MS3 with CAI as well. I too would rather be on the safe side of things, but mazda did offer it as an add on part that doesn't void your warranty so I would hope it would be safe.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Guys. Should I put FD RX7 wheels on my car? There's a local person selling a set for $300 and tires are so cheap?! (I know people run these wheels, but is there a risk of low caliper clearance with the wheels and getting a pebble or something in there?)

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Those wheels just look goofy on newer Mazdas. I don't know anything about fitment and clearance.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

You can see the clearance in a few of the photos and how they fit on the other cars. I don't think it looks all that bad. But the wheels I found would probably need a good scrubbing and maybe a coat of paint-- if I'm too cheap to powdercoat.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

They look tiny and awkward, even for winter rims.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Not a fan.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MetaJew posted:

Guys. Should I put FD RX7 wheels on my car? There's a local person selling a set for $300 and tires are so cheap?! (I know people run these wheels, but is there a risk of low caliper clearance with the wheels and getting a pebble or something in there?)

Not the cheaper option, but, well

R3 wheels are the best transplanted RX_ wheels for the MS3/6. If you are looking for a cheap set of wheels for track tires/snow tires I would see if you can find used MS3 or MS6 wheels locally on the cheap. I regularly see full sets on my local classified listings for ~$400, usually in better shape than the wheels that are on my car :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, those wheels look fantastic. Too bad they're so spendy.

Also, Mazda, please build that SEMA Mazdaspeed2 concept with the 2.3L DISI. Please. You can have my kidney tomorrow if I can park it next to my MS3.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, those wheels look fantastic. Too bad they're so spendy.

Also, Mazda, please build that SEMA Mazdaspeed2 concept with the 2.3L DISI. Please. You can have my kidney tomorrow if I can park it next to my MS3.

I'm still holding out for a new Speed6 or else I'm turning in my M-card for a Focus ST.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
A new Mazdaspeed6 won't happen within the current body style. The first MS6 didn't really set buyers' hearts aflame and the current Mazda6 is a disappointing seller for Mazda in general. I'd be impressed if they even keep selling the things here for much longer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The replacement is already coming. Will be the first 'full' skyactiv platform, I believe.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Cygni posted:

The replacement is already coming. Will be the first 'full' skyactiv platform, I believe.

According to the salesmen at work the CX-9, or 7 I forget which, is the first complete skyactiv car

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i forgot they made suvs :(

but really, outside of the engines its mostly marketing speak.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frosty- posted:

A new Mazdaspeed6 won't happen within the current body style. The first MS6 didn't really set buyers' hearts aflame and the current Mazda6 is a disappointing seller for Mazda in general. I'd be impressed if they even keep selling the things here for much longer.

Oh I know, it's all wishful thinking on my part. But after seeing stats on the Skyactiv I have a small glimmer of hope that the next gen 6 will get a Speed variant. They'll have to announce something between now and the Focus ST release or I'm gone.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Not the cheaper option, but, well

R3 wheels are the best transplanted RX_ wheels for the MS3/6. If you are looking for a cheap set of wheels for track tires/snow tires I would see if you can find used MS3 or MS6 wheels locally on the cheap. I regularly see full sets on my local classified listings for ~$400, usually in better shape than the wheels that are on my car :(

Am I the only person who wants a lightweight, smaller wheel? The R3s look great, but I don't want 18s. 16x8 is a little extreme, but as I was saying, the tires pretty darn cheap. I'm still looking for a deal on some 17x8 RPF1s, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiB
May 6, 2005

Nodoze posted:

According to the salesmen at work the CX-9, or 7 I forget which, is the first complete skyactiv car

CX-5 actually.