Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

You know, just finished the game again on PSP awhile back, and can't remember half the things you just referenced. Guess that just goes to show how unremarkable the story was. Still don't think it was bad.

And yeah I have played Lunar Silver Star Story. Use to binge on JRPG a lot, but it never really stood out in any real way to me. Can't even remember what it was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

Very comprehensive OP!

I brought it together on a 5 minute break I had from work. I had tired of having to go to other forums to talk about various RPG's and wanted one for this forum (I found it weird that it didn't have one).

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Maybe a dozen suggestions of good solid RPGs that are relatively friendly to beginners (without being super easy)?
This thread is kind of a beast to read through.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zachol posted:

Maybe a dozen suggestions of good solid RPGs that are relatively friendly to beginners (without being super easy)?
This thread is kind of a beast to read through.

Lunar 2 is pretty easy without being patronizing. The grind is light, and if you have to (at the end of the game), it's really, really easy and convenient. Because of its normalized/scaled EXP, Suikoden is also a pretty simple game. Very streamlined, too, but not too easy. FF9 is very beginner-friendly, but completionist-hard, as is Secret of Mana and even FF4-SNES (but FF4DS is gently caress-you-in-the-rear end hard).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Can someone recommend me some good DS RPGs? I'm particularly interested in the turn-based grid SRPG format like Final Fantasy Tactics, but any turn-based RPG that deviates enough from the usual stuff will do.

(I've already played both Devil Survivor 1 and 2, they are very good games)

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone recommend me some good DS RPGs? I'm particularly interested in the turn-based grid SRPG format like Final Fantasy Tactics, but any turn-based RPG that deviates enough from the usual stuff will do.

Can't go wrong with Radiant Historia, if you can find a copy.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Persona 3 and 4 while not exactly beginner friendly at the start, once you get into the SMT mindset of using Buffs, Debuffs, and Weaknesses, they're relatively simple to play through.

They also have a easy difficulty option if you're a bit intimidated by their combat as well.

quote:

Radiant Historia as is still one of the best DS rpgs out there, and if you're looking into a Turn-Based strategy, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume is a fairly decent one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Heavy neutrino posted:

pokemon's mysterious dungeon

(No I'm serious, they're actually more fun than it sounds like it would be)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Heavy neutrino posted:

I enjoyed Front Mission 1 on the DS quite a bit.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
From a couple pages back, but I ended up locking the normal ending for Atelier Totori with about 8 months to spare. Thought I wouldn't be able to when I encountered the (boss spoiler) Flauschtraut but got lucky on my second try. Also, lots of the second level lightning bomb. Spending the rest of the game synthing the best equipment I can since that carries over into NG+, and I'll probably go through it again someday.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Can someone recommend me some good DS RPGs?

Agreeing with OneDeadman about Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume if you haven't played that one. I also enjoyed Magical Starsign a good deal, though it's a bit standard in mechanics and not a strategy RPG.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I've already gone through Valkyrie Profile: CotP and loved every second of it despite the middling reviews. Radiant Historia was a love-hate thing. The writing was good but the plot put me off because it felt artificial. The positioning combat thing was fun but the difficulty was out of whack. I could one shot most bosses after I got the main character's second special move but random encounters would give me hell.

Then I reached the last boss' second form and hahaha no.

Someone started a LP thread of Magical Starsign and I wasn't terribly interested because for some reason the quality of a RPG's writing and plot is a make-or-break aspect for me.

I'll look into Front Mission 1. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

For turn-based rpgs there's always the Dragon Quest games, Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey, as well as the various Mario and Luigi titles. Most good SRPGs have already been mentioned, I would recommend Fire Emblem but the DS iteration is probably the worst game in the series, you'd be better off picking up the GBA games. Knights in the Knightmare is hardly a turn based strategy game, but it has some SRPG elements to it, along with a whole bunch of other stuff. It's a weird game.

Also, The World Ends With You remains the best DS rpg/game, so even if it's not turn based, you should pick it up.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski
Are there any games like Dark Cloud 2? I loved the town building and dungeon crawling. Kind of searching for rpg/sim hybrids, older games are fine too. I've played ActRaiser but it seems like there isn't much out there.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

a lovely poster posted:

Are there any games like Dark Cloud 2? I loved the town building and dungeon crawling. Kind of searching for rpg/sim hybrids, older games are fine too. I've played ActRaiser but it seems like there isn't much out there.

The White Knight series is made by the same people and has a town building aspect to them, but they're pretty dull otherwise and I've never gotten far enough in the game to see any of that stuff in action.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Any mention in this thread of old sandbox CRPG Darklands? If a modern (and faithful) remake of the game happened it would be just swell :)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Passion for Dilbert posted:

Any mention in this thread of old sandbox CRPG Darklands? If a modern (and faithful) remake of the game happened it would be just swell :)
It's not a remake, but the game was recently put up on GOG.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The GOG thread talked about it not too long ago since it came out on there. I've been meaning to get back to it but my party keeps getting wasted at The Sabbat and I've been too lazy to just run away and come back when I have more potions.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Isn't Disgaea 1 on DS? I haven't played the DS version so I can't speak for its quality but it's a pretty great SRPG series.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

HondaCivet posted:

Isn't Disgaea 1 on DS? I haven't played the DS version so I can't speak for its quality but it's a pretty great SRPG series.

It's an improvement over the original by a certain degree, like adding the option to speed up battles by removing attack animations, has a bunch of bonus characters to unlock and a second story mode you can play when you complete the first story.

It doesn't have quite the level of upgrade that D2:Dark Hero Days on the PSP has though, and graphically it's a bit awful. Still logged 200 hours into it.

Passion for Dilbert
Dec 5, 2007

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's not a remake, but the game was recently put up on GOG.

I did not know this, and I used to keep up with GOG! Thanks!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm playing Atelier Totori and I'm wondering, are there some items I should be creating just to sell, or should the various requests be my main source of income?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm playing Atelier Totori and I'm wondering, are there some items I should be creating just to sell, or should the various requests be my main source of income?

There's a small money loop to help you get going, and a large money loop that can be done later on for when you want to tackle the True Ending, but requests our your main legit source of income. Note that, for alchemy requests (as opposed to gathering requests) you'll almost never get asked for anything that's currently in your stash, so register that stuff then get it out of your container.

Small money loop: Buy Hegel's 5 Port Outfits whenever they're in stock and immediately sell them back to him, 600 profit.

Large money loop: Make a Spring Cup with the boosted ability, and register it at Pamela's. Buy and use them over and over, keeping anything that isn't water or milk. You'll get substantial profit per cup.

e: Shops restock on 1, 2, 11, 12, 21, 22 of each month.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 25, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Stelas posted:

There's a small money loop to help you get going, and a large money loop that can be done later on for when you want to tackle the True Ending, but requests our your main legit source of income. Note that, for alchemy requests (as opposed to gathering requests) you'll almost never get asked for anything that's currently in your stash, so register that stuff then get it out of your container.

I'm not that interested in money loops, I was more wondering if there were any items that don't really serve a purpose to make beyond a high base price. I guess not though, which is good to know. When you say you'll never be asked for alchemy requests you have, do you mean items that you have in your container but not your basket or just items you have at all? Also, what's registering? I don't know if I'm not far enough in the game or what, but the term has never come up. Thanks for the tips.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The main ways of legit income are requests, Chims and selling top tier stuff from gathering. Requests are pretty much your only way in the beginning until you get a Chim. Once you get a Chim later in the game you should intuitively get an idea on how to make money with them.

e: He probably meant wholesaling which you get the ability to do early-midgame.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The main ways of legit income are requests, Chims and selling top tier stuff from gathering. Requests are pretty much your only way in the beginning until you get a Chim. Once you get a Chim later in the game you should intuitively get an idea on how to make money with them.

e: He probably meant wholesaling which you get the ability to do early-midgame.

I don't know what a chim or wholesaling is yet, so I suppose I don't really have to start worrying about any of this for a while. One more thing, I've heard a bit about various endings? Would it be possible to say how to get each ending without spoilers?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
What would you consider a spoiler? As in something that spoils the plot? The trophy guide at ps3trophies.org is really good as it lists the requirements for the endings (and trophies) without spoiling much. Though I warn you one of the trophy's name gives away the biggest spoiler so you might just want to stick to this post and avoid scrolling down past the true ending requirements until you play through the game once. Or maybe don't even bother looking past the normal ending requirements since you can't get the true ending on your first playthrough without a guide, sperging and exploiting those money loops.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

What would you consider a spoiler? As in something that spoils the plot? The trophy guide at ps3trophies.org is really good as it lists the requirements for the endings (and trophies) without spoiling much. Though I warn you one of the trophy's name gives away the biggest spoiler so you might just want to stick to this post and avoid scrolling down past the true ending requirements until you play through the game once. Or maybe don't even bother looking past the normal ending requirements since you can't get the true ending on your first playthrough without a guide, sperging and exploiting those money loops.

This works, the instructions for the normal ending were fine spoiler wise, and I can't be bothered to go for the true ending if it's supposed to be that hard. Thanks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So does the whole 'Barrel!' in-joke in the Atelier series have a specific origin?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Unlucky7 posted:

So does the whole 'Barrel!' in-joke in the Atelier series have a specific origin?

It was a thing in Atelier Marie, at random, and it's been in every single title since.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

When you say you'll never be asked for alchemy requests you have, do you mean items that you have in your container but not your basket or just items you have at all? Also, what's registering?

Sorry! What I meant is that if you have any Supplements in your inventory, be it in Basket or Container, you're probably not going to ever be asked to hand in Supplements for an Alchemy quest. Gathering quests aren't that picky, though.

Registering is a thing you'll run into some point after your second visit to Arland - just keep talking to shopkeepers and it'll pop up eventually. This allows you to put items you've made into a shop's stock list if it's the appropriate shop - sundries for Tiffani, bombs for Hegel, food for Iksel, etc. For example, you can make a high-quality Supplement and hand it to Tiffani, and from then on every time her shop restocks she'll also have 10 copies of that Supplement available for purchase.

The game doesn't look at these when working out Alchemy requests, so registering and buying items for missions can be some quick cash if you don't mind reduced profits, or it can be used to keep around an endless stock of high quality components. The game also calls it wholesaling but the menu option's left it firmly stuck in my mind as 'registering'.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If somebody doesn't mind spoilering it. What IS the requirements for the normal ending for Atelier Totori? I'm pretty far into the game (Year 5) now and I just want to know if I possibly already blew past it.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

If somebody doesn't mind spoilering it. What IS the requirements for the normal ending for Atelier Totori? I'm pretty far into the game (Year 5) now and I just want to know if I possibly already blew past it.

Basically, find out what happened to Totori's mother before Year 6 Month 6: Get Diamond Rank before Year 4 Month 6 to keep the game going two more years (you did this). After a bunch of scenes in Alanya, Totori's father will ask you to build a ship. Build it (you need Cobalt rank to get a couple of the ingredients), and then sail out east. When you reach the snowy village, there's a bunch of scenes, you get a gold trophy. Go back to Alanya for some more scenes, and you'll have normal ending locked.

The trophy guide goes into more detail, with trophy names that spoil some events of course.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heavy neutrino posted:

I've already gone through Valkyrie Profile: CotP and loved every second of it despite the middling reviews. Radiant Historia was a love-hate thing. The writing was good but the plot put me off because it felt artificial. The positioning combat thing was fun but the difficulty was out of whack. I could one shot most bosses after I got the main character's second special move but random encounters would give me hell.

Then I reached the last boss' second form and hahaha no.

Someone started a LP thread of Magical Starsign and I wasn't terribly interested because for some reason the quality of a RPG's writing and plot is a make-or-break aspect for me.

I'll look into Front Mission 1. Thanks for the suggestions, keep em coming!

I picked up Glory of Heracles a while back and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's got some tactical aspects to it in that your characters and enemies are positioned in front and back row formations and many spells affect a row of enemies/allies. It's pretty well written (translated by the same group that did Nier) and is pretty funny and charming at times. Lots of references to other Nintendo games.

It's also like $3.99 used now. I finished it in a weekend.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

KariOhki posted:

Basically, find out what happened to Totori's mother before Year 6 Month 6: Get Diamond Rank before Year 4 Month 6 to keep the game going two more years (you did this). After a bunch of scenes in Alanya, Totori's father will ask you to build a ship. Build it (you need Cobalt rank to get a couple of the ingredients), and then sail out east. When you reach the snowy village, there's a bunch of scenes, you get a gold trophy. Go back to Alanya for some more scenes, and you'll have normal ending locked.

The trophy guide goes into more detail, with trophy names that spoil some events of course.

Yup, I've got the normal ending locked in then.

I'll actually probably start going for trophies during a new game +, as right now I've just been farting around and just enjoying doing whatever I want.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

What the above guy said, but also don't worry I didn't get the ship until year 5 month 11 and still got the normal ending. The boss you need to fight is a jump in difficulty if you hadn't been fighting much but nothing too bad.

Also do you need cobalt for the boat? I could swear I got it ready at diamond rank. What ingredients need cobalt?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2011

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also do you need cobalt for the boat? I could swear I got it ready at diamond rank. What ingredients need cobalt?

The guide I followed said Shining Saucers were only found in Cobalt areas, but they're actually not. You can get them in a Diamond area. Though if you were like me and horribly underleveled and underequipped, nearly every area was a pain to get materials from. I got lucky fighting the normal end boss and squeaked by with everyone in single digit HP at the end.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
That boss was a joke for me. But I did have the best armour available and almost the best weapons.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I started rummaging through my tub of PS2 games and realized I've bought all the Wild Arms games, even though I remember distinctly giving up on the series after playing some hours in the WA3 since it's the slowest, most generic and boring RPG I remember playing.

So I start Wild Arms 5 (The Vth Vangaurd, yes really) and it starts very similar to the third game, and about to confirm I can throw the games away without a second thought. The graphics, specifically the character models, are really, really good though. The theme was whistle-y, but not quite as catchy. It's also anime as all get out. But I have to say that Dumbass Dean started to charm me with his speech about why he wasn't in danger next to a giant robot arm.

It proceeded to the most generic, trope-y plot imaginable very immediately.

I'm mostly ready to give this game a shot. But even the very first dungeon you have to walk through reminded me how bad all the Wild Arms' are in respect to making the most tired, boring dungeons imaginable with a generic turn based combat with the slightest twist applied (and I've rediscovered my low tolerance for frequent random encounters).

Can anyone with significant time in the game say it's worth it? I'm getting nothing out of the combat and I expect cheesy, one dimensional allies/enemies along the way, and usual tropes of guns, freedom, robots, and summons. But the characters and everything about the game has some charm and felt like it was having fun with itself, which is really nice.

*edit: Oh, man. Totally some opinions on the very game one page back. Awesome.

On a separate note, I've also just started playing Suikoden 5. My previous experience of the entire series was with Suikoden 4, tragically. It's really, really. Like really. loving amazing what a step up it is- I remember hating 4 so much (that loving boat). I've already sunk around seven hours in it, and while the main plot is just now kicking into high gear, I've had fun the entire time so far (minus a few terrible characters and character designs).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 26, 2011

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think WA5 is a good game, myself. The plot is stupid as hell but it's a Wild Arms game and you pretty much get what you expect. (The Word Of The Day in WA5 is walls, and overcoming them, and expect to hear that about twenty times per conversation.) I really liked WA4's battle system, though, so getting to play a lengthier game with a refined version of it ruled. If you're a fan of spotting references the game is basically a farewell to the series, and is chock full of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I started rummaging through my tub of PS2 games and realized I've bought all the Wild Arms games, even though I remember distinctly giving up on the series after playing some hours in the WA3 since it's the slowest, most generic and boring RPG I remember playing.

So I start Wild Arms 5 (The Vth Vangaurd, yes really) and it starts very similar to the third game, and about to confirm I can throw the games away without a second thought. The graphics, specifically the character models, are really, really good though. The theme was whistle-y, but not quite as catchy. It's also anime as all get out. But I have to say that Dumbass Dean started to charm me with his speech about why he wasn't in danger next to a giant robot arm.

It proceeded to the most generic, trope-y plot imaginable very immediately.

I'm mostly ready to give this game a shot. But even the very first dungeon you have to walk through reminded me how bad all the Wild Arms' are in respect to making the most tired, boring dungeons imaginable with a generic turn based combat with the slightest twist applied (and I've rediscovered my low tolerance for frequent random encounters).

Can anyone with significant time in the game say it's worth it? I'm getting nothing out of the combat and I expect cheesy, one dimensional allies/enemies along the way, and usual tropes of guns, freedom, robots, and summons. But the characters and everything about the game has some charm and felt like it was having fun with itself, which is really nice.

*edit: Oh, man. Totally some opinions on the very game one page back. Awesome.

On a separate note, I've also just started playing Suikoden 5. My previous experience of the entire series was with Suikoden 4, tragically. It's really, really. Like really. loving amazing what a step up it is- I remember hating 4 so much (that loving boat). I've already sunk around seven hours in it, and while the main plot is just now kicking into high gear, I've had fun the entire time so far (minus a few terrible characters and character designs).

I enjoyed WA5 because the main character is almost a complete crazy person. He does nothing but completely insane poo poo no matter what is thrown at him. It was sort of endearing.

That being said, Suikoden V is by far the superior game. It's just a slight step down from the combo of I+II but only slightly. It improves on some areas but lags in others (load times mostly). I'd finish that before giving WA5 another shot.