Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
What's your GT? I'll try to gift you one to see if that works.

Edit: oops new page, this is regarding the dude who wants a '11 WRX STI real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
GT: D4ngerDou9

I greatly appreciate the effort! Thanks

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you didn't put in a code for the car, you can't have it. People have tried putting the cars in club garages but it just says "DLC" and you can't drive it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Danger Doug posted:

Yeah I'm pretty desperate. Really wanted to drive my IRL car and do things to it that would make me cringe, especially since the 2005 STI feels ridiculously close to what a real 2005 STI feels like with simulation handling. Thanks for the heads up - I'll mull it over :)

I would trade you my code for your car.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007

HeyEng posted:

I would trade you my code for your car.

As long as you can have it overnighted, that seems fair.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Sent a request for GISH yesterday but got turned down I think, tried today and its full, I will try again later. I want to do some goon races, GT: DarkJaynx
I added people tonight until I hit the limit. Sadly I had to deny anyone else who had requested. Tomorrow night I'm going to see if I can find a fair way to clean up the list a bit, but until then I'll ask again for people to drop out if they don't think they are going to take part in the club races to make room.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

AFewBricksShy posted:

I added people tonight until I hit the limit. Sadly I had to deny anyone else who had requested. Tomorrow night I'm going to see if I can find a fair way to clean up the list a bit, but until then I'll ask again for people to drop out if they don't think they are going to take part in the club races to make room.

I've been rather inactive over the past week with a friend's wedding and midterms, but I'll be back in my fabulous Ferrari after Tuesday.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

BlazeKinser posted:

nycterine wins the Tuner's Choice, the '94 Honda Civic!

Not sure what happened...I got the message notice, but 'there was an error' and it wouldn't let me download. Then a little later the car image was replaced by an X. Now the message has disappeared entirely like it was never there; I never deleted it.

Never mind, it shows up now in my garage even though I never got a download confirmation. Weird. Turn10 servers!

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 24, 2011

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Man, the white 512 TR brings back memories. I think it was Test Drive, or Top Gear 1 where i used those cars the most.

Still can't download designs or create any (or save any designs for that matter) though. Pisses me off, because there's really great stuff out there. Honestly hope there's a fix soon.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Requesting more cars like the Dicks! car in the LLJK garage.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS

need a livery for that one

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just posting to thank all the LLJK and GTCC folks for the fun races this morning.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kicking around a custom race type, wanted to see if there might be any interest:

Seed F Road Rally
-----------------

2 classes, F Stock and F Open.
F Stock is just as it sounds, straight stock F class cars, not even paintjobs.
F Open allows anything up to F200 tuning.
  • Race against the clock.
  • 10-15 second pause between each driver starting their run.
  • Fastest clean lap down the hill wins the stage.
  • Full simulation driving.
  • Full simulation damage.
  • Ghost collision.
This can be a one-lap attack of an existing circuit, or each of the Fujimi/Nurburgring stages.

If you can really run a maximum of 11 AI and 16 players at the same time, I could open it up even more with 4 classes. Perhaps F Stock/Open and A Stock/Open.

Would anyone be interested?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
GT: Kal Reegar

Nice idea, I might try something similar at a later date.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

BrokenKnees posted:

Been thinking about getting a wheel, but I don't have the money for a nice fanatec setup. Do any goons have and like microsoft's new wireless wheel? I'm looking around and nothing else is a decent price or is made by madcatz.

My brother tried one out last week and he was impressed, for what it is at least. It's never going to be as good as a real wheel but it looks like it might be worth the monnies.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Lancia 037 is a killer A class car

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All Lancia's are awesome.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!

I said come in! posted:

This one isn't, but I think that's more the fault of Fiat not knowing what the hell they were trying to do with the brand.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Most non rally lineage lancias are turds, hell they sell the new delta as a chrysler here.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Are Dale Earnhardt jokes still funny?

This game is the best. I sit down to just do a couple races, well maybe a few rivals events, oooh let's buy a car, and then 5 hours later I have to force myself to stop. No game has done this to me since I was a kid. I always burn out in an hour or two.

BlazeKinser
Feb 28, 2003

SMEEEEEE!!!
Here's a handy tip: When you do a track day rivals event, on the first lap the flow of traffic will always be the just about same. After a few restarts with the same car you'll know where you'll encounter certain cars on the track and what line to take to get around them, which makes registering a clean lap much easier!

For example, you can expect to see this in front of you on the second to last corner of Road America... every single loving time:

BlackLaser posted:

Are Dale Earnhardt jokes still funny?
I summoned his ghost so you can ask him yourself!

BlazeKinser fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 24, 2011

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Idiot race posted:

Most non rally lineage lancias are turds, hell they sell the new delta as a chrysler here.

Which reminds me, we need a Delta S4 Stradale in this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Even if Lancia's cars aren't that great to drive, I really like their designs. Cars like the Delta and Stratos look really great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BlazeKinser posted:

Here's a handy tip: When you do a track day rivals event, on the first lap the flow of traffic will always be the just about same. After a few restarts with the same car you'll know where you'll encounter certain cars on the track and what line to take to get around them, which makes registering a clean lap much easier!

For example, you can expect to see this in front of you on the second to last corner of Road America... every single loving time:

Downside being, you have to do a standing start and your tires will be cold. :argh:

Turn 10 really should have given the rivals races rolling starts where it makes sense. And the game has needed an option to start with warm tires since 2005.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Hmm, I didn't think much about cold tire issues (considering they were a healthy green only a couple of turns in), but honestly you probably need the faster rolling second (or higher) lap just to set a competitive-enough time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warm tires will always help cornering, but the significance varies from car to car.

The nascar stock cars, for example, are poo poo to drive for the first lap. After that they're actually really fun to use.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

BlazeKinser posted:

Okay, the random number generator has spoken!

:words:free car stuff:words:

I love this idea. Once I get a few more ridiculous cars fabbed up, I'll probably do something similar, since this game absolutely buries you in credits if you grind.

BACK ON TOPIC:

It does basically suck to have to wait until lap 2 to set a competitive time, but I usually use the first lap to double check my braking points and make sure I've still got the track down. If I mess up near the end of the lap, I'll just rewind back to right before the last sector split so I will still get a clean second lap.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I always treat the first lap as a warmup/practice lap anyway. Between cold tires and a starting start, you'll never get your best lap times, even if you already know the circuit and don't need a refresher on braking points or what line to take.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

BrokenKnees posted:

Been thinking about getting a wheel, but I don't have the money for a nice fanatec setup. Do any goons have and like microsoft's new wireless wheel? I'm looking around and nothing else is a decent price or is made by madcatz.

Repostin dis:

DrPain posted:

It takes some getting used to, but that was to be expected. I went simulation steering, ABS brakes, traction/stability on, because I am a big gay baby. After a few hours of fiddling last night, I'm getting the hang of it! Much easier to hold a line around a long turn than with the controller. The key is small, slow, controlled movements. Flailing the wheel around wildly leads to disaster. The triggers are longer, meaning more control on your brakes and gas instead of the bipolar "FLOOR IT VRRRROOOOO...OH poo poo STOMP BRAKES" I was doing with the controller. I've stuck with AWD cars for the moment, I tried to hop into that classic Chevy Stingray and spun out early and often in magnificent fashion. All things considered, I like it and will continue to play like this. So long as I have a left hand drive car. Right hand drive makes me all :psyduck: when I try to use that sweet cockpit view.

I've since turned off TCS and stability, and still having fun with it. Still can't drive anything that isn't AWD.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 24, 2011

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Oh God this car would actually kill me in real life. I have it tuned for maximum downforce and this still happens

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Moving a massive post about vinyls here to save clogging up threads (my bad)

StabMasterArson posted:

If anyone could give me any tips to make it, that'd be appreciated

NOW WITH IMAGES!

To start with I'd lay down the background colours. I think tears 37/39 would do well for the basic outline of them. I tend to use 1 big shape for the general shape of what I want, then fill in the edges. Then I'd fill around the edges a little with some of the paint splats. This image is made up of 4 layers, Tear 39 for green, 37 for yellow. Then one of each for red after rotating them and changing the size, that way you get the same style of vinyl only without looking identical.

For illustrative purposes I've made the layers new to this image a lighter colour so you can see what I did.
At the top of the green section you can see the background behind the paint. To get this I would make the main green shape have a missing section there, then fill it in with a shape that has lots of transparent bits. For patterns like that I would use the tyre marks (racing icons 21-30), that way it shows the transparacy through to whatever colour car you put it on. I'd also use quite a few of paint splats 39/40 to which are speckley and work well for blending edges or making things look like they have overspray and such.

Then I make sure everythings grouped up nicley. Usually I have them grouped by colour, if nothing else it makes it easier to change colours later on if its grouped. EDIT: Note, don't group all of it by colour obviously or things will be ontop of other things that you don't want them to be ontop of. If you know what I mean.

Now onto the text, first thing is since this will be a custom-font job, you want to make the letters flat, no spin. handle all that stuff last. Lets get started.

(M1 = standard letter, M2 = additions highlighted in white, M3 = Finished letter)
First start with a standard letter from the shapes that best matchs your font. So Letters 1 in this case. Stick a rectangle shape at each left corner, matching the size of your own font. Then I'd use Primitive 29 for the rounded bits which help blend your rectangles into the existing letter. You can consider skipping this step if you're only using the texture in a smaller place, thus saving a few layers on a detail nobody would notice.

Also, don't be afraid to work BIG. I usually do a rough calculation of grid space:letters and work on them at the biggest size I can. If you need more room you can always work on the roof of a BMW MINI. Its handy that way too if you need to flip any shapes.

Don't forget to copy the first corner you do, then simpley rotate it or flip it to save you re-doing it for each corner and letter :)

Some letters will be a nightmare, such as our good buddy Mr R here! He's got a fancy curve at the bottom which means you'll probly need to create the entire letter yourself. But don't fret! Dissasemble the basic shape of the R.Its got 1 rectangle up, 2 across and a semi-circle at the end of those, we'll ignore its fancy leg for a second. So make up your rectangles and semi circle in a different colour than the existing R (for contrast, so you can "trace" the letter effectivley). R1 shows how it should look (colours just for show). Now copy over your fancy bits from another letter and you're almost done! R2 Shows the same P with fancy bits added from previous letter. Its worth noting that with hindsight, we could have just started by using a letter P to save on layers, doh!

Now for its fancy leg. Break it down to shapes. At the bottom is a semi-circle again, which has a little rectangle sticking up on the right hand side. The rest of the leg would be 2/3 layers of Primitive 29 again. See R3 for finished product. Trouble is Mr R is now 15 layers tall, all for a single letter. So try and be efficient and use letters sparingly. Or at least thats my philosophy, I hate being just a few layers shy of what I need when doing a paint job. (edit: again, layers could be greatly reduced by starting with a P!)

Next is the bordering. This can be a pain and consume layers like you wouldnt belive. Sometimes if you're lucky simpley making a copy of the entire letter and scaling it to 110% then pasting it behind your old letter will do. Other times if your letter is just a couple of layers you can pull a cheap n dirty:

1: make a copy of your font
2:select the lower one, change its colour to something you can see. Now...
3: press up on the D-pad 5 times (or however many you need to make a noticable border. Now press Y and you have stamped "north".
Press right on the D-pad the same number of times, press Y and you have stamped north east. Then down again and stamp for East... you get the picture. Usually afterwards you'll have a nice clean border, but its cheap, quick and layer hungry. The Middle R is the one made using this trick. Its 120 layers, for a single letter. Granted that could be greatly reduced by starting with a P but still. This trick produced nice borders but eats up layers.

The BEST way to make borders is to make a copy, scale it up slighlty in size and them manualy adjust each layer till it looks right. This is a pain and very time consuming, but if the letter has alot of layers its often the only way. The R on the right of the image shows this method, as you can see its a little rough as I didn't have the time to fine-tune it. But its only 30 layers without trying to optimise it at all!.

Then lastly is just to weather it! So grab some more of those nice paint splats and tears and go to town!

I'm unfortunatly a failure when it comes to making reaslistic people though, so as far as making the actual can goes...I dunno, break it down in to basic shapes and use gradients for the shading. But it'll be a big job I think.

I've written all of this as I did a quick whip-up in the vinyl editor, so if you shoot me a friend invite (or anyone else too who wants to play along) I'll gift you what I've made using my techniques and you can deconstruct it to better understand how to do it. My GT is "Captain Hair57"

Hope this was of some help :)

EDIT: Added a few images and revised a few things. Hopefully this'll make things a little less imtimidating for people. Wish I had a capture card, could have knocked up a video tutorial in half an hour!

Captain Hair fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 24, 2011

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Captain Hair posted:

Hope this was of some help :)

That's a drat good guide! Thanks for this!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I uploaded my first car to the LLJK garage, a Mustard and black testarossa (512). It handles pretty well, maybe not the fasted a 600 but still good.

I also uploaded a movie to forza but I can't find it online, any help on where to look?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jesus, I finally tried out one of the JGTC race cars and that poo poo was easier to drive than most of my S class cars. :psyduck:

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I think I uploaded my first car to the LLJK garage, a Mustard and black testarossa (512). It handles pretty well, maybe not the fasted a 600 but still good.

I also uploaded a movie to forza but I can't find it online, any help on where to look?

Some bro on the forza forums posted:

Go to your "My Forza", accessed from the main page. Make sure that you have also uploaded at least one picture. Then it will show "GALLERY-RECENT PHOTOS". Underneath that it will show "To view and download gallery items, click View All". Do that and you will then see a box on the right, titled 'Large Media Files". The download link is at the bottom.

Make sure to upload at least one picture to your store front, to be able to access the 'View All", to get to the proper page.

I couldn't find it either.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Mazda Furai on Fujimi Kaido. If you not have attempted this combo - please do it now. Grab one of the reasonable grip R2 tunes off the storefront and go go go.

Dear God - I think i was holding my breath at times. You just get into this fantastic flow after awhile where you are driving purely by instinct. Plus the car sounds fantastic as well.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BlackLaser posted:

I couldn't find it either.

try http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Gallery.aspx?gt=<your_gamertag>

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I posted something earlier in the thread I never got an answer for so I'm gonna repost it.

General Probe posted:

So is the monthly Rivals challenge going to be the only one that's updated? I ask because Rivals is awesome and I desperately want more events. Also does anyone know the end date for the current months crop? I don't want to miss out on beating a few more times on those since I'm busy setting soft times on the regular events, something I recommend other goons do as well since there are still quite a few events with only 1 or 2 LLJK times set. You fuckers.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Nobody really knows. Hopefully they update them about once a month or so. Still, game has only been out for 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Welp,

Put it in the GISH garage, if anyone else wants it just search GISH/LLJK/whatever, the design is free

• Locked thread