Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
What class does everyone typically race these days? A-class like the Bentron rooms back in the day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
It varies. We're usually running D-S primarily. Sometimes R3 sneaks in. F / E / R3 are rare, and R1 is extremely rare.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
If you see a grid full of R1 cars, you're probably gonna get bumped of the road at every corner because people just can't brake in time.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
R1 would be fine if we were all poopsocking on Circuit de la Sarthe or Fukujima whatever for 20 laps, but with all the cars right on top of each other on a tiny track for 3 laps, you just don't really have the room considering the slightest bump completely ruins you. Plus, the R2/R1 cars are pretty drastically different from the other classes in terms of their handling and power and whatnot so it's tough to go from R1 directly to C.

I'm looking forward to getting my PS3 back and spending some more time on GT5, if it's as people say and I can actually start buying cars/playing the game now. Gran Turismo has a lot more room for dicking around. Sometimes I get bored trying to beat my time on X track and I just want to drive around in some kind of three wheeled piece of crap or Nike Kind-of-Car for an hour or two, or try to drift a full lap around a dirt/snow track at 300mph in that glitched 1600hp Suzuki Escudo from GT3 (god I miss that)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I'm still dicking around with F and E class cars myself.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I think I'm like the only one who's really down for R3 racing, and that's mainly because of my obsession with GT2 cars. I'd rather do R3 than A or S any day.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I really enjoy R3 races, I also wouldn't mind doing an occasional R2 race now and then. Seems like that class gets ignored completely.

My only issue with R3 is car selection. I bought and tuned a Mosler and nothing else I've found so far comes anywhere close to as fast, at least for my driving. I have been horsing around lately with the TVR Speed 12. It's a nightmare to corner, but the way it pulls away from anything once it hooks up is always a joy.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
We were doing a time trial on Nurburgring Norschliefe with R1s, which was fun as hell.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Falken posted:

We were doing a time trial on Nurburgring Norschliefe with R1s, which was fun as hell.

R1 time trials at Nurburgring is probably my favorite thing to do in this game right now. Track is insane in those cars.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Is this is a glitch?.....

I've had the game a couple of weeks and got to level 54 in World Tour and yesterday for the first time I clicked on Event List expecting to see lots of green ticks to show completed events....but saw about 8.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Brainwrong posted:

I've had the game a couple of weeks and got to level 54 in World Tour and yesterday for the first time I clicked on Event List expecting to see lots of green ticks to show completed events....but saw about 8.

The game just picks one race from each event, I think. Taken a closer look?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Hail to the king baby

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Cannot Find Server posted:

R1 time trials at Nurburgring is probably my favorite thing to do in this game right now. Track is insane in those cars.

It also helps that you're just way too loving good at it, Mr. 6:45.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

The R1 time trials on the ring would be much better with more laps. It's terrible when you have a really good clean lap invalidated because you close the 30+ second gap to the person infront of you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zinjnok posted:

The R1 time trials on the ring would be much better with more laps. It's terrible when you have a really good clean lap invalidated because you close the 30+ second gap to the person infront of you.

I would honestly totally be down to make them 5+ laps. The Ring is seriously fun as poo poo in R1's, and sure we'd be spending more than a half an hour, but it'd be a half an hour of pure driving bliss.

Of course we could also fix this problem by turning off collisions when we do time trials; drafting doesn't happen with collisions off, so the only way to invalidate your lap is by loving up. Which is still easy to do, sure, but at least then you have nobody to blame but your own sorry rear end.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Wondering if I should enter this in that Delorean compo

rubber strips :argh:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Sunday Punch posted:

This DeLorean is totally boss B) Makes me want a DeLorean spec race... (not stock lol)

Cojawfee posted:

You do realize they are the "Bernese" alps. Not alps that belong to Bernie.

From this day on I will always refer to that track as "Bernie's Alps".

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I made a good B500 Delorean, I could dish the tune out to people.

Sunday Punch, could you add the "QUIT GETTIN' MAD AT VIDEOGAMES" panel to that?

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Sunday Punch posted:

Wondering if I should enter this in that Delorean compo

rubber strips :argh:

This is the greatest livery ever, oh man. What an awesome idea and I don't even understand how you execute this stuff at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Racing with friends. Jerk does an 'accidental' pit maneuver on my ford :(

I get the last laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4-Y5DzPBw8

One of these days I'll figure out how to do better videos.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKP1iFtved0

I think the 30 second rolloff difference between class 1 and 2 was a great idea.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guy in that mustang is an artist.

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Brainwrong posted:

As far as I understand it, when providing you career events it chooses a couple from the events list, however the track you are racing on in career may not be the same track the event takes place on in Event List. You'll only get a checkmark if the races you complete in Career take place on the "correct" track in Event List.

I'm on the last tier of career mode and still have under 5% done in total career progress

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To get a check mark, you have to complete all races in an event. Most events have 3-4 races you have to complete.

The world tour just picks one race from a single event.. so yeah, completing world tour is not going to get you very far in terms of game completion percentage. It is a TON of grinding, and I'd say that the huge majority of players never complete it.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Captain Hair posted:

Moving a massive post about vinyls here to save clogging up threads (my bad)
Really useful! I'll send you a Friend Request later on.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Actually - world tour just makes up Event/Track pairings when it feels like it. Fake example - You might have just competed in the A Class Championship, but if you look at event list - you'll notice that Bernie's Alps aren't in there at all.

http://goo.gl/jyJhW

This was posted on one of the achievement forums - it's a Google doc with all the tracks sorted by which events are actually run on them. If you are anal about getting through your event list without having to go back and race later on - just make sure you pick from this list when you are in world tour.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Just got FM4 yesterday, imported my FM3 profile, and having a blast.
Imagine my disappointment when both LLJK and GISH were full up. Such sadness...
Still, having a good time.

Man, the World Tour AI is AWFUL. "Don't mind me plowing RIGHT into you... GOTTA STAY ON THE LINE!"

I can't believe they still don't have qualifying/pole positions. (Or if they do, I just haven't yet found it.)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

TOUR ai has been easy mode, but when I select an event from the calendar, every car is pro++++

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember
edit: beaten.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The tour AI is actually perfect practice for XBL pubbies who just want to play bumper cars and PIT you into poo poo every time you try to pass.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

I don't get people complaining about the AI, I've never had a problem that wasn't my own fault. They are 1000x more considerate than 99% of people online.

bich
Dec 18, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Doctor Butts posted:

TOUR ai has been easy mode, but when I select an event from the calendar, every car is pro++++

:siren:Press start on the event list screen to change AI difficulty and other settings:siren:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I did :( sorry I didn't specify that I turned it down from HUGELY AWESOME to slightly less awesome.

It's still a fight though for me to get in first place. Before that I was finishing second to last or last(just like when I play online with LLJK)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well, I made a fast 1971 Skyline.

So I covered it in Touhou, oops.

(bahahaha, nice error there Turn 10)

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Okay, I've started to get addicted to R1 racing. This isn't good.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PopeOnARope posted:

I honestly don't think I ever drove R1 for more than like 5 races through all of Forza 3, but it's just so fun now. The new driving model and PI system really made R1 awesome as hell and I'm so happy about it.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

PopeOnARope posted:

R1 is terrifyingly fast and awesome. Berine's Alps is just lap after lap of "OH gently caress OH poo poo OH GOD HELL YEAH OH gently caress" as everything whizzes by at 6,000 mph.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I randomly got gifted the Bimmer Unicorn this morning... the one Unicorn besides the RX7 that I was actively pursuing. I didn't do anything at all that would warrant me getting it, but I am not complaining. I am both overjoyed, and confused. Great car though.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I've managed to claw my way up to R3 without any assists, but can't get the hang of braking without ABS on. Any tips? Am I supposed to ease into the brake? I've tried doing that on the controller, but poo poo goes from nothing > full tilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Lyer posted:

So I've managed to claw my way up to R3 without any assists, but can't get the hang of braking without ABS on. Any tips? Am I supposed to ease into the brake? I've tried doing that on the controller, but poo poo goes from nothing > full tilt.

Try dropping the brake pressure down to 90%. That allows you more trigger pull before they lock up.

• Locked thread