Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Benne posted:

This was from a few pages back but wanted to respond to this.

Yeah, I'm one of the mods at Field Gulls. The real problem isn't the :smug: so much as it is the unbridled stupidity that goes along with the :smug:. I was around that blog during the big "Charlie vs. Matt" wars in '10, and it was as loving stupid as you'd think it was.

Things have only gotten worse since the new writer took over. I tried to put a cap on all the shitposts, but that blog moves fast, and I only have so much free time, that at this point I'm just content to let them wallow in their own poo poo.

Fellow Seahawk fans, fire away. I'm ready for any criticism.

I read it sometimes back when the John Morgan guy was doing it, he was good, but once he left I did as well. And I was smart enough to stay out of the comments, even then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good luck competing with FinHeaven boys. Gator Day is a huge conspiracy by Stephen Ross

JCane;1064068983 posted:

The more and more I think about this the more and more I see this as a wise business move on the part of that big-eared freak, Stephen Ross.

I've crushed this dude for the past couple of years because of the impact his utter buffonery has had on this program.

But finally, I see the light and I believe I see his vision.

This dude knew what he was doing by going after Harbaugh publicly. It was a move that I was stunned with at first because I felt like he was disrespecting Tony Sparano in the absolute worst possible way and I felt like the players would see this and quit on Sparano this season. That reason alone was the foundation of my 5-11 prediction before the season began. Perhaps Ross pursued Harbaugh to help Harbaugh have leverage in a deal with whatever West Coast team might come along. It's no secret that Ross and Harbaugh have a personal relationship outside of football because both are Michigan Alum. So Ross "appears" to be hard after Harbaugh in the media when in reality, it's nothing more than camouflage.

Harbaugh "reportedly" turns down the Miami job and Ross returns to tell Sparano that he's the guy and gives him a one-year extension. This one-year extension to me now appears to be a tactic to cover Ross' *** when he does indeed fire him. It looks as if Ross gave Sparano every opportunity imaginable and even stuck with him thru this losing season and all of the failure is on Sparano.

Behind the scenes, Ross understands the importance of a true franchise QB in this league. So he now has his plan all set-up. Sparano remains the coach of the team after being disrespected, and in-turn, the players probably see this as a sign of weakness from their "leader" and as a result, they're not playing hard for Tony.

So now Ross sees another dilemma—the Denver Broncos. The Cleveland game was a possible win but we were on the road and the Browns are much improved. If you look back at staff predictions, I even said that many of us were over looking improved teams such as the Cleveland Browns. But the Denver game is different. Ross seen this as a "Suck for Luck" kind of game if you will. Denver is a team that would certainly take Luck if they were in position to and they're a team that will not win a lot of games this season.

So what do you do? You honor Tim Tebow and the 2008 Florida Gators. You alienate your community for the time being and you bring in all the booger-eating rednecks that you possibly can to see their false idol back in the great state of Florida once again. Now, I think Ross "lucked" out with Tebow being named the starter. To me, that's just a coincidence but I'm sure Ross lifted his arms in victory when that announcement was made. So NOW, you have these trailer park rejects loading up the campers and heading down the turnpike to see their false God START. You've alienated your community, Hurricane fans for the most part refuse to go to this game, you sold your soul to the Devil by honoring the 2008 national champion Gator team along with the opposing team's STARTING QB...and get this...Denver has had two weeks to prepare for this game AND they get the Dolphins on a short week as we played Monday night.

We have a lot stacked against us on Sunday and part of me thinks that Ross planned it all perfectly. Tim Tebow is not a great QB by any standard, but that dude is built for games such as this. As much as I hate Tim Tebow, that kid is a winner and knows how to rise up. He'll be out there to put on a show for the Bronco fans in attendance (30%-40% of the stadium is what I hear) as well as the legions of identical twin cousins rolling down from that dump they call Gainesville.

The more and more I look at this, the more and more I'm beginning to believe that this is a truly brilliant business move by the man in charge.

Is Ross secretly on board with this whole "Suck for Luck" campaign?

This guy is a HUGE Canes fan... and surprisingly did not go to UM! But he has connections in the administration, and can guarantee us that the Palm Beach Post's report that UM declined "Canes Day" was in fact false.

When it was brought to his attention that only 3500 tickets were sold the 48 hours after "Gator Day" was announced, he then mentions that Gator fans are too poor to afford game tickets. He then later says they have nothing else to do but go to Gator games (of course, when mentioned that UF has great attendance at all their home/bowl games)

The logic is flawless.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 19, 2011

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Otah got placed on IR today after spending last year on it with the same injury.. Surely there won't be any irrational

TylerVagyler posted:

The thing that makes me the most upset is that the FO is making excuses for Otah. They said that because of the lockout, Otah couldn't condition for the season. Fug that noise. Otah had all of last season and this off-season to build strength, condition, and be prepared for this year. The lockout is no excuse for being a lazy fat bum. He should have been training on his own, just like the rest of the team. There's no doubt in my mind that these injuries are due to him being fat and out of shape.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Not from a forum per se, but I just can't let the recent stupidity of the Oregon fan base go.

A little context: The writer of this article, one of The Oregonian's CFB writers, picked ASU to beat Oregon last Saturday. (The bit of prognostication occurs in every preview.) Didn't happen.

The choice part of the article:

quote:

Minutes later, while heading to my car, I walked past an Oregon assistant coach who shall remain nameless. I said “hello” and as we shook hands he said, “you really picked Arizona State to beat us?”

I smiled and said that I thought that the Sun Devils might pull off the upset. He shook his head. I then asked if it was so out of the question. He indicated that it was, a little surprising given that every coach on that staff has experienced being upset before.

As the conversation continued I soon realized that his disgust with me picking ASU had less to do with football as it did assumed loyalties. He flat out said, “you’re an Oregon beat writer and you picked against Oregon.”

I responded by saying that I’m supposed to be objective and that I didn’t think he and others understood what our jobs require.

He chuckled and said, “oh, I’d love to tell you about that.”

I invited him to but he declined and said, “maybe after I retire.”

I again encouraged him to explain what he had meant but he denied and continued to question how I could cover Oregon and pick against them against a conference opponent at Autzen.

I replied: “I don’t work for Oregon. Oregon doesn’t pay me to cover them.”

I asked him again to elaborate on his perspective. He declined. We parted ways.

The exchange was the perfect ending to a few days of being ripped on through email and twitter by Oregon fans beside themselves that I could have dared pick against the Ducks.

* I’ve been accused of trying to rile up fans and draw attention to myself.
* Told I should write for Food Day.
* Told I need to take a long look at myself.
* Told I know nothing about football.
* A few have took it upon themselves to demonstrate their first-grade math skills by pointing out that my prediction was off by a whole 17 points.

All of this done from the simple perspective of a fan would be fine. But the animosity and disdain has been striking. I realize that most fans of any team understand the bigger picture. Others, not so much.

Sounds reasonable, right? Let's just wade on into the comme- :stare:

quote:

Your right, godux444, Fentress does have a right to pick whomever he wants. But picking against the Ducks, in Autzen, over a team they are favored to beat by 14 pts, a team that nearly lost at home to the Beavers, is not "objective". It's done simply to stir up controversy. Claiming his pick was based solely on his "objective" view of the ducks as a professional newspaper man is gratuitous at best and at worst, just plain dumb!

quote:

spot on ducknsb....Aaron is doing his job....toeing the corporate line at O-live. There is nothing objective in his analysis, he gave his opinion. I really don't see how he can say he's trying to be objective or portray some type of journalistic integrity in his writing. Mr fentress gets it, O-live gets it, the sports beat at O-live gets it....Drum up controversies, insert yourself (the journalist) in the story, get both Duck and Beaver fans riled up with these stories, then laugh as the page hits come in and advertisers throw money at the website because of all the page hits. There is no such thing as objective journalism these days, it's all about sensationalism, being controversial, and becoming the story. This is the new American media, people need to understand it's all about money at the end of the day...there’s no such thing as getting to the bottom of the story, uncovering fact, displaying integrity, writing from a neutral POV.

quote:

Dude, like it or not, you are in Oregon. Like it or not, you should be loyal to your state and the teams that play in it, objectivity is not what the newspaper is about when it comes to sports, never has been never will be and you know that - it is about being LOYAL or your state. I have lived in Boston, DC, Chicago and Houston. Never had I heard of a newpaper beat writer from any of those cities picking against their own local team WHEN the team was a top team like the Ducks are. So puhlease, spare me the excuse of objectivity, BE LOYAL TO YOUR STATE AND TEAMS. If you can't be loyal, then get out of the game of prognostication.

Go Beavs! I predict they will win every game left this year. Why? Because I am loyal and believe in my state and teams! So I have no doubt they will win the rest of their games.

quote:

Not sure I've ever encountered a paper staffed with writers who write about themselves so often. Is having a massive ego part of writing for the boregonian.

Seriously, get over yourself. You picked a 16 point do to beat the number 9 team in the nation at home, arguably the toughest venue in college football. You think you were being objective?

Good thing you're a writer and not a gambler.

quote:

Here is what I feel is the problem with the entire staff that covers the Ducks for this rag. Chip wont let into the practices and wont te;ll you the answers when you ask so yyou ntake every oprotunity to bash the program. You went into the game predicting an upset by a team that in my opinion had only beaten one team that was competitive in USC. The only other team with any credibility was Illinois and they lost that game ....at night..... on the road. Utah is not the same team as they have been in recent history and ASU played them without the starting QB.
Like the Bald Faced Cry Baby you dont want to report anything you want to get you name in the fight so that people are talking about you. Really you get all rear end hurt because TWO people with the team questiuoned your pick after the fact? Come on man!!!!!!!!! Report stuff not fluff

quote:

Aaron, Don't get me wrong, I think that you are the best sportswriter at the "O". I think that what we, as alumni and fans of the Ducks, complain about is that we don't seem to have any news writers that are pro Oregon. Most major FBS teams have a few "homer" writers, but Oregon... not so much. Buker is a sycophant to the OS program and coaches. Goe has about one article in five that is informative, not inflammatory. Lindsay Schnell isn't really biased, she just isn't very experienced or knowledgeable and tends to take the same position as the others. Don't even get me started with the "C" word. It seems as though every time a negative for the University of Oregon program pops up, we have to read four or five recounts/opinions/speculations by four of five different writers at the "O". Rarely do any of these 16-25 articles have any new information, they're just recycled. If something positive happens, we get one "feel good story" and then move on.
I travel all over the country (actually the world) for work, and even my friends/family from the Midwest, Southeast, and Northeast are shocked by the negative journalism slant in our own backyard (ESPECIALLY in the Southeast)! In conclusion, it would be nice to read a couple of positive articles about the program (other than wins). We WANT the news, not rehashed speculation and opinion.

quote:

Aaron Fentress,

Everything about putting this sob story into the world was a bad idea.

YOU posted a prediction against the team you cover day in and day out. You knew you'd see the players and coaches again in a day or two. And you had to know the competitive nature that fuels a Top 10 program would manifest in some resentment surrounding that ASU pick.

How is it you're so short on self-respect that you waste your time and mine with this rambling first-person complaint about guys in the program making you feel bad for the situation YOU created?

Come. On.

YOU put yourself in this position. Not Carson York. Not the Oregon coaches. If you can't handle the backlash, then don't pick the upset. And if you still can't handle the backlash, don't destroy your own credibility with this victim role garbage.

quote:

Aaron, picking Auburn or LSU is a little different than picking an ASU upset against the defending Pac-10 Champs, whose O-line is dominating and hitting their stride, and whose Defense is playing inspired ball in second halves of competitive games. The spread was Oregon by 14. So, yeah, your pick sucked, it was a long shot against the odds.

And honestly, I don't think it was because you are trying to be 'objective and independent', I think it was to create attention for yourself and help your beat writing get publicity from the fans. I mean look at all this attention you're getting. So, good job, it worked this time. But you sold yourself out, because like Canzano and Ken Goe, you now have branded yourself as part of the Oregonian media that is negative towards the Ducks for a plethora of reasons, of which that un-named coach didn't tell you about.

Good job, as a loyal and objective fan of Oregon Athletics, you're another writer that I'll boycott from now on. I don't listen to that weasel on 750am the Game, nor do I read Goe's drivel... Welcome to the ban.

The lack of understanding, reading comprehension, etc. is worthy of a Ph.D.-level study.

And I'm sure this is stating the obvious but I could have gone further down this rabbit hole.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 20, 2011

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

gohuskies posted:

I read it sometimes back when the John Morgan guy was doing it, he was good, but once he left I did as well. And I was smart enough to stay out of the comments, even then.

Yeah, Morgan was great. He occasionally pops up on Advanced NFL Stats but I believe he's working on a second book.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm in the entertainment industry our here in Los Angeles, so I'm well aquainted with the media and how they slant things.

what's doubly sickening about the slams on Tebow is the the praise heaped up on Newton.

the guy has 7 TDs and 9 pics, 58% completing percentage and a QB rating of 74, yet he's praised all over the media. He has serious talent on that offence. Two top tier tight ends in olsen and shockey, a top 5 receiver in Steve Smith and two uper tier running backs in williams and stewart. if any good QB had those weapons, the panthers would be 5-1 right now.

yet for some odd reason, NFL.com says newton was "wow-ing" the crowd. 3 pics today in a blow out loss....where's the wow in that?

Tebow's stats are way better, and with NO top 5 receiver, top tier tight ends or at one time dominant running attack. Give ebow those weapons, and he'd outplay Newton easily

but tebow's criticized, and newton is the greatest ever.

makes no sense.
[Rep]

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm in the entertainment industry our here in Los Angeles

I always wanted to hear a waiter's opinion on football.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
HAHAHAHAHAH Shockey as a top-tier tight end.

Steve Smith as a top 5 receiver.

also he took off 10 whole percentage off his completion.

Racist

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I dunno man smith is kinda playing like a top 5 receiver right now. He just makes incredible catches in traffic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Crazy685 posted:

I dunno man smith is kinda playing like a top 5 receiver right now. He just makes incredible catches in traffic.

He's playing like a top-tier guy but when he calls Jeremy Shockey a top-tier tight end, I'm assuming he thinks Newton is throwing to a fusion of Megatron and Mike Wallace.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Jeremy Shockey is a top tier rear end in a top hat and that's about all.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Jeremy Shockey is a top tier rear end in a top hat and that's about all.

I know a lot of bartenders in Charlotte and apparently Shockey is actually the dude who like sits by himself and just tries to work himself into a conversation. Then at the end of the night he pays everyones tab. He's just like a really lonely dude who goes in to talk to the bartenders.

Also he can't seal the deal at all.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Shockey dated the hottest girl my high school ever produced when he was with the Giants at training camp in Albany. Supposedly what fiz said about sealing the deal is right, though I'm not sure I take all the rumors at face value.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Take note recruits - This is why you choose MICHIGAN

Nothwithstanding the score of the game yesterday, which is irrelevant now, you should now have a better understanding of why you have chosen or should choose to play for UM.

Yes, we got beat yesterday by a better team (at the moment) but what counts in the end is the total classLESSness you witnessed on the green side of the ball vs. the total CLASS of how the MEN in maize and blue handled it all. Not one whiny, bitchy kid was out there complaining about the low class play of MSU. MSU is good but how you handle success and the way they go about it is the real measure of a MAN. I'm not talking about some petty back and forth banter about "little brother", etc. but a complete and utter lack of class. Character is not built by the final score but by ACTIONS. Actions expose who you are. The BOYS from E. Lansing were exposed.

And the worst part of this all is that it is a reflection of their head honcho, the coach. One inicident can be wiped under the rug as an outlier, but several in one game is revealing. Mr Dantonio has a deep rooted hatred of UM which has nothing to do with the UM/MSU rivalry but from his long time devotion to the Buckeyes and the vest. If Mr. Dantonio received a call from tOSU to coach while taking a dump, he wouldn't take the time to wipe his rear end before heading out the door.

I'm the first to admit we got beat by a better team and even out coached, but, in the scheme of life I'm PROUD TO BE A WOLVERINE and proud of those MEN that represent THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN. They will be the champions in life.

GO BLUE!

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Benne posted:

This was from a few pages back but wanted to respond to this.

Yeah, I'm one of the mods at Field Gulls. The real problem isn't the :smug: so much as it is the unbridled stupidity that goes along with the :smug:. I was around that blog during the big "Charlie vs. Matt" wars in '10, and it was as loving stupid as you'd think it was.

Things have only gotten worse since the new writer took over. I tried to put a cap on all the shitposts, but that blog moves fast, and I only have so much free time, that at this point I'm just content to let them wallow in their own poo poo.

Fellow Seahawk fans, fire away. I'm ready for any criticism.

I think the issue is that Danny Kelly came over from Seahawk Addicts, which was/is a terrible, terrible site. Not saying he is personally, but he brought a lot of idiots with him. There has also been a few mentions of the site on other, high-traffic sites that bring in trolls and/or 13 year olds. To be honest, I offered to help moderate and he said that they didn't need any more help.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Regarding Field Gulls moderation - I heard that in their fantasy football thread, if you say you are starting a player that is playing against the Seahawks that weekend, you get banned or at least admonished. True?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

gohuskies posted:

Regarding Field Gulls moderation - I heard that in their fantasy football thread, if you say you are starting a player that is playing against the Seahawks that weekend, you get banned or at least admonished. True?

No, it's not that serious (or didn't used to be). You're not supposed to root against the Seahawks for fantasy purposes...I'm pretty sure this is generally pointed at game threads. Either way, the rules there are insane and irregularly enforced. I believe that one moderator in particular is responsible for most of the stupid poo poo.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Thread Title: Alex Smith in 2011 vs Joe Montana in 1981

code:
Montana 81- 16 Starts| 13-3 (.8125) | 19 TDs (1.18/game)| 12 INTs (.75/game)| 3565 YARDS (223/G)| 63.7 Comp % | QB Rating 88.4
Alex 2011------- 6 Starts | 5-1 (.8333) | 8 TDs (1.33/game) | 2 INTs (.33/game)| 1090 YARDS (182/G)| 63.3 Comp % | QB Rating 95.2

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Thread Title: What if Jim Harbaugh wins a SB this year?

What do you think? Would he be considered the greatest rookie NFL coach of all-time? One thing for sure is that we 49er fans will definitely rejoice him as the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh. I didn't think we would be this good and competitive this year. I thought at best we were a 9-7 or 8-8 team. But the way things are looking we can possibly see a 13-3 or 12-4. We always had talent but we never had the right coaching. Discuss...

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

texags re:selling Kyle field naming rights posted:

if this is true, then to hell with it all. we've sold our soul and there aint much difference left between being an Aggie or a Longhorn or a Gator or a Tiger.

Sad but true. Kyle has already been neutered and Hollywoodized. When is the official burial ceremony?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Oooooh there's a big difference between aggies and longhorns and gators and tigers

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

jerkstore77 posted:

Thread Title: What if Jim Harbaugh wins a SB this year?

What do you think? Would he be considered the greatest rookie NFL coach of all-time? One thing for sure is that we 49er fans will definitely rejoice him as the 2nd coming of Bill Walsh. I didn't think we would be this good and competitive this year. I thought at best we were a 9-7 or 8-8 team. But the way things are looking we can possibly see a 13-3 or 12-4. We always had talent but we never had the right coaching. Discuss...

I think we'd all be too busy mourning the death of Aaron Rodgers in a tragic plane crash to spend too much time anointing Jim Harbaugh.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

jerkstore77 posted:

Thread Title: Alex Smith in 2011 vs Joe Montana in 1981

code:
Montana 81- 16 Starts| 13-3 (.8125) | 19 TDs (1.18/game)| 12 INTs (.75/game)| 3565 YARDS (223/G)| 63.7 Comp % | QB Rating 88.4
Alex 2011------- 6 Starts | 5-1 (.8333) | 8 TDs (1.33/game) | 2 INTs (.33/game)| 1090 YARDS (182/G)| 63.3 Comp % | QB Rating 95.2

Lol indeed every stat is worse except interceptions (tiny sample size) which then throw off the QBR

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Lol indeed every stat is worse except interceptions (tiny sample size) which then throw off the QBR

TD/G and WINS are better too

but pointless

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

If Kyle Field is dead where are they going to bury it???

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
"Put in Charlie Whitehurst" - A couple of people around me at the Seahawks game today.

So much :negative: in so few words.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"

whypick1 posted:

"Put in Charlie Whitehurst" - A couple of people around me at the Seahawks game today.

So much :negative: in so few words.

Wait, what? Were they not there for the beginning? I was yelling for Portis immediately until I saw Tarvaris warming up down there.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'm guessing they got blackout drunk after the Browns game to completely wipe any memories of it, then today they were doing a lot of tailgating and didn't sober up until the 2nd quarter, so it was as if they'd never seen him play before. Only explanation I can think of that doesn't give me an aneurysm.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

If Kyle Field is dead where are they going to bury it???

No idea, but I imagine when they finish they'll put up a tiny scoreboard facing the burial site that shows Lassie reruns.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Man, monday mornings are so good on the 49ers fan board recently.

Title: Is this 49ers team the best in the NFL Right Now?

Do you think this team is the best in the NFL right now? The patriots aren't that good. The Steelers look flawed. The Lions have been exposed by the 49ers as average. The only team that seems to compare are the kings of hype the packers. SHould we be superbowl favorites?

terrin
May 10, 2005

jerkstore77 posted:

Man, monday mornings are so good on the 49ers fan board recently.

Title: Is this 49ers team the best in the NFL Right Now?

Do you think this team is the best in the NFL right now? The patriots aren't that good. The Steelers look flawed. The Lions have been exposed by the 49ers as average. The only team that seems to compare are the kings of hype the packers. SHould we be superbowl favorites?

The Lions were exposed by the 49ers as average because the 49ers might be the best team and they beat the Lions narrowly. Right?

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

terrin posted:

The Lions were exposed by the 49ers as average because the 49ers might be the best team and they beat the Lions narrowly. Right?

I don't agree with that stupid poster but for the record they beat them (very) narrowly on the road with their offensive line having numerous false starts and their audibles not really working because Ford Field was loving loud. That doesn't mean that the Lions aren't pretty good, just that I think the margin would be much greater at Candlestick.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

kturner, poster on Mississippi State rivals posted:

This dog just dont hunt. This issue has been beaten to death.

Everyone with half a brain knows Cam Newton was bought and paid for by Auburn.

Everyone with half a brain knows Al Gore got more votes than George Bush Jr in the 2000 Presidential election.

Everyone with half a brain knows we invaded Iraq under false pretenses using the ruse of looking for weapons of mass destruction...which by the way...never materialized.

Everyone knows OJ Simpson murdered his wife, got away with it, and was later framed by associates for a robbery that still resulted in his incarceration.

Everyone knows John F Kennedy was shot by more than one assassin.

Everyone knows that the Civil War was fought over slavery.

But what everyone KNOWS has little to do wtih facts and peoples perception of reality....cuz...

Few people know that the NCAA is not some abstract entity, its a body of governance put together by universities. And so yes, the most powerful and influential universities and that universities hire, appoint, and oversee its duties and functions.

Few people know that college eduacated African Americans are actually very conservative and borderline Tea Partyish, the only reason they (or we) still support the Democrats is because conservatives appeal to racism to get votes.

Few people know that despite all Cam Newtons garbage in his past, he is actually a very smart man and a highly competitive player worthy of his draft pick.

And...outside of Mississippi, few people know Mississipians have the prettiest women, the smartest citizenship, and a population that in many ways is light years beyond many other states.

Few people really know, understand or are willing to accept reality. So all the Cam Newton articles about his "pay for Play" can come out, reveal new information, and may even one day prove the pay for play scheme.

But it wont matter cuz we are not really interested in that, its water under the bridge and most of us have moved on. We all understand college football is corrupt. We all understand TSUN's entire image was built on racial hatred, we all understand that LSU, Bama, Auburn, TSUN, Georgia, Florida, and S. Carolina's alumni, boosters, and in some cases coaches are gonna bribe their recruits with money, women, cars, housing, jobs, and promises to get into the NFL.

We understand and accept that as a fact of life. So in the big picture and overal scheme of things...Cam Newtons issues kinda just blend in and "morph" into our views of "business as usual".

The NCAA and its policies are like democracy...its the worst governing philosophy around, but it also just happens to be the best we've come up with so far.

:stare:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like how his list of everyone with half a brain swings wildly from "yes" to "well thats not what was important" to "what are you, insane?"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Haha I was just thinking that

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
It's a shame that apparently I'm missing out on the utopia that is Mississippi.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Ben is not cool posted:

He says that Cam Newton got paid but it doesn't actually matter, so I guess the whole point of this diatribe was to talk up Mississippi?

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Ben is not cool posted:

quote:

outside of Mississippi, few people know Mississipians have... a population that in many ways is light years beyond many other states.

Unless he's referring to their lynching technology, which is truly leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the country, I doubt this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Serisothikos posted:

Unless he's referring to their lynching technology, which is truly leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the country, I doubt this.

Well, I don't think diabetes rates in other states are declining, so they may have a point.

• Locked thread