Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Wild Arms 5 is not worth it at all. Every aspect of it is just incredibly dull. Wild Arms 4 on the other hand is a fun game with a terribad story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I enjoyed WA5 a lot, mostly due to the combat. If you're not enjoying the combat at all, then chances are this game is not for you. If you choose to stick with it though, you should know that every dungeon has a black orb that you can purify by fighting an easy mini-boss. Once you do that you can turn off all random encounters for that area. It makes backtracking so much more tolerable, and in the late-game you can even do this for the world map.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How long is an average run of Wild Arms 4?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

On a separate note, I've also just started playing Suikoden 5. My previous experience of the entire series was with Suikoden 4, tragically. It's really, really. Like really. loving amazing what a step up it is- I remember hating 4 so much (that loving boat). I've already sunk around seven hours in it, and while the main plot is just now kicking into high gear, I've had fun the entire time so far (minus a few terrible characters and character designs).
You should really play Suikoden 1 and 2 first. At least Suikoden 2. A bunch of characters in 5 are from 1/2 and they're better games anyway. 1 is a little clunky but more than playable, 2 is still a masterpiece of an RPG. They're short (for PSX JRPGs) and you can play them in an emulator. You have no excuse.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
doesn't really matter what order you play them in though, and in fact the events of Suikoden 5 happen before Suikoden 1+2 so it'd be a chronological journey to play them afterwards

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

You should really play Suikoden 1 and 2 first. At least Suikoden 2. A bunch of characters in 5 are from 1/2 and they're better games anyway. 1 is a little clunky but more than playable, 2 is still a masterpiece of an RPG. They're short (for PSX JRPGs) and you can play them in an emulator. You have no excuse.

5 is a prequel tho. So it's worth waiting just because you can be surprised about some things a S2 player wouldn't be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

Georg sucks in 2 and rocks face (thanks to the skill system) in 5. That alone makes it worth playing 5.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Man, and here everyone was trying to leave the 2/5 connections a secret for the guy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Level Slide posted:

How long is an average run of Wild Arms 4?

Fairly short, actually. It's substantially smaller than the average Wild Arms game and tries to pull you through it at a more rapid pace than the others, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average player could toddle through it at 20 hours or so with some stuff missed.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Levantine posted:

I enjoyed WA5 because the main character is almost a complete crazy person. He does nothing but completely insane poo poo no matter what is thrown at him. It was sort of endearing.

That being said, Suikoden V is by far the superior game. It's just a slight step down from the combo of I+II but only slightly. It improves on some areas but lags in others (load times mostly). I'd finish that before giving WA5 another shot.

Ripping these games is pretty easy, so load times aren't a factor. I know I need to play Suikoden I+II, but I remember the 1st being so dry. I'll probably stick with V for now since the story already has its hooks in me.

I like that so many played WA5, and the orbs thing is promising. And combat is just completely a non-issue; I don't hate it, it's just a simplistic arcade-y strategy sort of thing I don't have to think about. It sounds like it might be worth ripping WA4 now, too, though.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Stelas posted:

Fairly short, actually. It's substantially smaller than the average Wild Arms game and tries to pull you through it at a more rapid pace than the others, and I wouldn't be surprised if the average player could toddle through it at 20 hours or so with some stuff missed.

I was actually rather shocked when the game just suddenly ended. I also think it's sort of impressive that the game has an item synthesis system... That doesn't exist until the last few hours of the game.

WA4 has some serious balancing issues, however. Notably the fact that 3/4ths of your party is entirely unnecessary due to how impossibly broken Raquel is.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Wendell posted:

Man, and here everyone was trying to leave the 2/5 connections a secret for the guy.
Sorry for ruining your connections. I'm not going to spoil anything like Levantine rather rudely did above, but there are several characters from Suikoden 1/2 that also play a large role in Suikoden 5. When you see them in 5 they basically go "Hey remember me from Suikoden 1/2??" but when you see them in 1/2 they're just some random star. That's why I think it's better to play the older games first.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Sorry guys, didn't realize it was such a huge deal since he shows up at the literal end of the game and does... nothing. Just played through Suiko II myself and it's a total "blink and you'll miss it" deal.

Seriously, the entire series is like that, aside from 4. "hey, remember that guy from Suikoden X who did absolutely nothing but had a portrait? Well now he's a big deal in Suikoden Y!!"

Anyway, DOUBLE CLICK HERE, if you've gotten past the beginning of Suikoden V and you are into the story, keep at it. It gets better with every step.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I recently stumbled upon what I consider a goldmine of indie RPGs and similar games. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, it bears repeating. DISCLAIMER: I can't vouch for the quality of the entire games, but the demos on their site impressed me enough that I paid money for the ones I'm mentioning below. I'll report back if they turn out to be huge piles of poo poo. All of these sites/games have free demos so check them out yourselves.

Deadly Sin 2 (video) is produced by Adorlea Software, who makes a bunch of RPGs that look like they're made with RPG Maker. I found most of these to be fairly amateurish, but I did find Deadly Sin 2 to be worthy of my money. The environments are highly polished with a great attention to detail, and the game itself could be described as having stylistic touches of Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Warrior, and Lufia 2, combined with the class/skill/stat systems of modern MMO RPGs (balancing equipment tradeoffs between armor/HP/evasion, skill trees, weapon/armor enhancements, etc), and having a combat system visually similar to the Phantasy Star series.

Even the in-game art, while still showing its amateur roots, is still quite good. I also felt that the dialogue, cutscenes, and environments weren't inane and boring like a lot of indie games' RPGs are. The video doesn't quite do the game justice, so play the demo. Do note that the demo cuts out after one hour of gameplay time so make good use of it!

Planet Stronghold (video) was the next game that really impressed me, by Winter Wolves Games. It's a turn-based RPG in a futuristic setting (guns instead of swords). Think of it as a Mass Effect-inspired theme driven by menus instead of physically walking around. There are similar skill checks, e.g. "Should I repair this sentry bot to take out the invading robots (Repair) or should I rig one of the torpedoes to take some of them out (Explosives)?" Combat reminds me a bit of SMT: Strange Journey. The demo cuts out at a specific point rather than giving you a time limit.

I personally think Planet Stronghold has some pretty decent writing for its characters. Some of it is a slight campy but overall it's not the kind of stuff you'll be cringing at like you would with say... Star Ocean 4. It's actually surprisingly natural. You can choose to play as a male or female, and both male and female main/supporting characters seem to play strong roles. There are homosexual romance options, for those who prefer it. It's a bit "pricy" at $25 for an indie game, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than some of the other higher production crap I've been paying $40+ for.

Both of the above-mentioned sites seem to be in some indie game web partnership, along with Tycoon Games, so some of these overlap. Aldorlea seems to specialize in the RPG Maker type of RPGs, while the other two groups seem to specialize in dating/life type sims.

Some dating/life sims of interest include one (Card Sweethearts) where the main game mechanic is... Texas Hold-Em Poker, which apparently I'm quite bad at. Bionic Heart revolves around an AI android robot, and sounds like it touches themes of what constitutes life and intelligence. The entire game looks like it's voiced over, although it's only so-so. I suppose you can always turn it off though.

There's even a game called Love and Order where you play as a young female secretary starting up in a small Montreal law office, and seems aimed exclusively at women (or men who don't mind playing as one). And on a final note, Heileen 2 is a visual novel game on sale for about $5 for a limited time.

It's also worth mentioning that all of the games I've tried give you the option of saving at almost any time. The Winter Wolves games even let you save mid-turn in combat, for what it's worth...

Short version:
http://www.aldorlea.org/deadlysin2.php (video)
http://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm (video)

http://www.winterwolves.com/pc_games.htm
http://www.aldorlea.org/allgames.php
http://www.tycoongames.eu/adventures/index.php

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Deadly Sin 2 is pretty solid for an RPG maker game. It isn't free though so that tempers its value. The writing is alright but the music is really where I thought the game really shined. The creator is a composer or something I think and that's where his focus seems to be. Other than that the art is nice and the story is... ok. It's pretty standard stuff for an RPG.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
In my quest for lost PS2 games (personal list), I've also started FF XII. It's weird how much I hate grinding as an idea, but I somehow acquired a Quickening spell before I even met the Sky Pirates. I want to say it was from 'exploring'.

*It's true, it doesn't really feel like grinding. I had an idea what I was getting into before I started it up, but without the stupid 3-8 second breaking of the screen and sweeping shot of a closed off battlefield, fighting enemies (right now) feels like you're just batting them away. It's not taking more than a minute tops (often less than couple few handful of seconds), and if I want to just run past them without engaging I can hold L2 (or maybe R2) that totally works. The whole streamlining of not having everyone pose for their experience points and clicking through the same old loot for every battle just feels really great and progressive.

I did actually die a couple times to some baddies roaming the desert that completely 1-2 shotted me. That was fairly silly, but I probably clicked through the part where it said how to gauge a target (I think there's a way without Libra? I guess it doesn't matter now that I have it).

And now that I've unlocked gambits, right now I sort just click X a couple times to engage and let the party go to work. The boss fight with the fire horse was pretty random, but I'm liking a lot of what I see (including the completely not bat-poo poo crazy plot (so far)).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 27, 2011

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

In my quest for lost PS2 games (personal list), I've also started FF XII. It's weird how much I hate grinding as an idea, but I somehow acquired a Quickening spell before I even met the Sky Pirates. I want to say it was from 'exploring'.

It sounds like you're doing what I do from time to time when I'm bored - just find old games and play them. I'm doing the Suikoden series myself and I'm really trying to get through III. I want to play V again after reading your posts but I have to force myself through III.

I loved FFXII personally. I liked the world and the atmosphere and the characters. The advancement system was pretty well realized too. I think if you just like playing the game then the "grinding" will feel pretty minimal. And there is a LOT to do if you explore and look for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I beat the entirety of FFXII, and I don't remember the plot at all. Something about magic ghosts controlling things? Eschewing destiny? No idea.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

softcorps posted:

I recently stumbled upon what I consider a goldmine of indie RPGs and similar games. If it hasn't been mentioned yet, it bears repeating. DISCLAIMER: I can't vouch for the quality of the entire games, but the demos on their site impressed me enough that I paid money for the ones I'm mentioning below. I'll report back if they turn out to be huge piles of poo poo. All of these sites/games have free demos so check them out yourselves.

Deadly Sin 2 (video) is produced by Adorlea Software, who makes a bunch of RPGs that look like they're made with RPG Maker. I found most of these to be fairly amateurish, but I did find Deadly Sin 2 to be worthy of my money. The environments are highly polished with a great attention to detail, and the game itself could be described as having stylistic touches of Final Fantasy 4, Dragon Warrior, and Lufia 2, combined with the class/skill/stat systems of modern MMO RPGs (balancing equipment tradeoffs between armor/HP/evasion, skill trees, weapon/armor enhancements, etc), and having a combat system visually similar to the Phantasy Star series.

Even the in-game art, while still showing its amateur roots, is still quite good. I also felt that the dialogue, cutscenes, and environments weren't inane and boring like a lot of indie games' RPGs are. The video doesn't quite do the game justice, so play the demo. Do note that the demo cuts out after one hour of gameplay time so make good use of it!

Planet Stronghold (video) was the next game that really impressed me, by Winter Wolves Games. It's a turn-based RPG in a futuristic setting (guns instead of swords). Think of it as a Mass Effect-inspired theme driven by menus instead of physically walking around. There are similar skill checks, e.g. "Should I repair this sentry bot to take out the invading robots (Repair) or should I rig one of the torpedoes to take some of them out (Explosives)?" Combat reminds me a bit of SMT: Strange Journey. The demo cuts out at a specific point rather than giving you a time limit.

I personally think Planet Stronghold has some pretty decent writing for its characters. Some of it is a slight campy but overall it's not the kind of stuff you'll be cringing at like you would with say... Star Ocean 4. It's actually surprisingly natural. You can choose to play as a male or female, and both male and female main/supporting characters seem to play strong roles. There are homosexual romance options, for those who prefer it. It's a bit "pricy" at $25 for an indie game, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot more than some of the other higher production crap I've been paying $40+ for.

Both of the above-mentioned sites seem to be in some indie game web partnership, along with Tycoon Games, so some of these overlap. Aldorlea seems to specialize in the RPG Maker type of RPGs, while the other two groups seem to specialize in dating/life type sims.

Some dating/life sims of interest include one (Card Sweethearts) where the main game mechanic is... Texas Hold-Em Poker, which apparently I'm quite bad at. Bionic Heart revolves around an AI android robot, and sounds like it touches themes of what constitutes life and intelligence. The entire game looks like it's voiced over, although it's only so-so. I suppose you can always turn it off though.

There's even a game called Love and Order where you play as a young female secretary starting up in a small Montreal law office, and seems aimed exclusively at women (or men who don't mind playing as one). And on a final note, Heileen 2 is a visual novel game on sale for about $5 for a limited time.

It's also worth mentioning that all of the games I've tried give you the option of saving at almost any time. The Winter Wolves games even let you save mid-turn in combat, for what it's worth...

Short version:
http://www.aldorlea.org/deadlysin2.php (video)
http://www.winterwolves.com/planetstronghold.htm (video)

http://www.winterwolves.com/pc_games.htm
http://www.aldorlea.org/allgames.php
http://www.tycoongames.eu/adventures/index.php

Planet Stronghold is a good enough game, but sadly it is way short. Looking back on it, if the price tag was about ten bucks less, or possibly just five, I would recommend it completely. As it is, it is still good though.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
FFXII Cid is my favorite Cid. He's freakin nutty :allears:

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
So is the new FF type-0 a offshoot of another game, ie: crisis cor, or its own stand alone game? I know literally nothing about it this (I just found out today that its on the psp) but its getting phenomenal scores in japan.

EDIT: Oh, and if were talking about Cid, 4 was my favorite. Bad rear end who jumped out of the spaceship into the volcano, awesome.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

evilmiera posted:

Planet Stronghold is a good enough game, but sadly it is way short. Looking back on it, if the price tag was about ten bucks less, or possibly just five, I would recommend it completely. As it is, it is still good though.

How short are we talking? I paid $10 (worth every penny) for Spirit Engine 2, and that took around 6 hours, more or less.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

casual poster posted:

So is the new FF type-0 a offshoot of another game, ie: crisis cor, or its own stand alone game? I know literally nothing about it this (I just found out today that its on the psp) but its getting phenomenal scores in japan.

It is its own game though it still has ties to the 'mythology' of FF XIII, apparently. It started out as the spin-off 'Agito XIII' but ended up moving away from the original premise too much.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Speaking of Random FF games, What ever happened to the "dark Gritty" Ps3 only Final Fantasy they were making. Versus? I think it was called.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

Ashekaban posted:

Speaking of Random FF games, What ever happened to the "dark Gritty" Ps3 only Final Fantasy they were making. Versus? I think it was called.

Why make that when they can make a game about the adventures of some useless chick who chilled out in a crystal for a couple of months and got slavered over by a pedophile really annoying dude?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ashekaban posted:

it's still in development apparently. There's some gameplay footage now and it looks pretty good, sort of like Kingdom Hearts but without the Disney

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Paperhouse posted:

it's still in development apparently. There's some gameplay footage now and it looks pretty good, sort of like Kingdom Hearts but without the Disney

That sounds loving horrible to me actually. The shite Square puts out can only get better with Goofy in it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Paperhouse posted:

So basically it's annoying brooding weepy anime bitches with no lightheartedness to redeem it whatsoever? Sounds fantastic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They were talking about gameplay style. We don't know jack poo poo about the plot or characters yet.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
yeah all I meant is it's a Square action RPG with combat that looks pretty good and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

Supposedly it also has a world map, which I'm looking forward to seeing

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm using the Nomura rule on Vs.-XIII: dude can be utterly atrocious at times but he seems to shine when you put him in a fantastical near-modern setting (see: World Ends With You), and that straight up looks like yakuza dudes fighting monsters in downtown Tokyo or something, so it will probably be good.

To be fair I also play the KH games for their gameplay, so I may be biased by that too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So, I felt like actually starting up Last Remnant becuase I downloaded it on steam a while ago after buying it during some sale a longer while ago.

Does this seriously not let me use the loving mouse in menus or have an option to turn on subtitles. :staredog:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

How short are we talking? I paid $10 (worth every penny) for Spirit Engine 2, and that took around 6 hours, more or less.

Well, if that kinda time is what you're going by, it might be worth your time. It doesn't really get worse or anything down the line, but keeps the same level of quality. I can't say for sure how long the game was since I don't remember. Just the feeling I got when I finished it was that it should've been longer.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zereth posted:

So, I felt like actually starting up Last Remnant becuase I downloaded it on steam a while ago after buying it during some sale a longer while ago.

Does this seriously not let me use the loving mouse in menus or have an option to turn on subtitles. :staredog:

Yeah, you're screwed on the menus (and in the game as well), but you can turn on subtitles.

That said, control issues aside, it seems like a fairly solid JRPG so far.

evilmiera posted:

Well, if that kinda time is what you're going by, it might be worth your time. It doesn't really get worse or anything down the line, but keeps the same level of quality. I can't say for sure how long the game was since I don't remember. Just the feeling I got when I finished it was that it should've been longer.

Right then. Guess I'll be posting in here, asking for silly answers to stupid questions soon enough :v:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I've been playing Xenogears, and I have a problem. I figure Dark Id might know what I'm doing wrong here since he's got that LP going on. I'm trying to do Fei's Raijin deathblow so that I can use it in his Gear against Bart, and I can't pull it off for the life of me. I have the AP needed to use it, and I hit Triangle then X, but the game acts like I have to press another button. I can do Citan's first deathblow just fine, but Fei's just doesn't work. I don't know if you have to do deathblows on foot to use them in Gears, but after trying the Bart battle several times I could not do Raigeki (the first Weltall deathblow) which was bad because he uses that loving annoying accuracy decreasing attack.

The sad thing is I went through the whole drat game without knowing about this, and now I feel like I have to start all over because of it. :negative:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 28, 2011

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zeether posted:

I've been playing Xenogears, and I have a problem. I'm trying to do Fei's Raijin deathblow so that I can use it in his Gear against Bart, and I can't pull it off for the life of me. I have the AP needed to use it, and I hit Triangle then X, but the game acts like I have to press another button. I can do Citan's first deathblow just fine, but Fei's just doesn't work. I don't know if you have to do deathblows on foot to use them in Gears, but after trying the Bart battle several times I could not do Raigeki (the first Weltall deathblow) which was bad because he uses that loving annoying accuracy decreasing attack.

The sad thing is I went through the whole drat game without knowing about this, and now I feel like I have to start all over because of it. :negative:

I think Deathblows have a level requirement and you have to "unlock" them through use too. Can you use it on foot? If not that's your issue.

EDIT: Check your status screen for deathblows (sorry, it's been so long I don't remember the option name) - you should have a list of all your DBs and your progress on them. If that one doesn't say "learned" or 100% or whatever, you need to just keep using those button combos in battle til you get it.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Levantine posted:

I think Deathblows have a level requirement and you have to "unlock" them through use too. Can you use it on foot?
I should be able to, because Raijin is learned at level 6 and right now Fei is 11.

e: Oh, poo poo. I see what you mean. Guess it's time to grind then. :psyduck:

That said though Xenogears kicks rear end. I love the mech designs and the battle system. It just sucks that the US release was kind of rushed (jesus christ the lip flaps in the cutscenes, even I could sync the voices better than that)

Zeether fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 28, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zereth posted:

I don't even bother using the keyboard/mouse.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Zeether posted:

I've been playing Xenogears, and I have a problem. I figure Dark Id might know what I'm doing wrong here since he's got that LP going on. I'm trying to do Fei's Raijin deathblow so that I can use it in his Gear against Bart, and I can't pull it off for the life of me. I have the AP needed to use it, and I hit Triangle then X, but the game acts like I have to press another button. I can do Citan's first deathblow just fine, but Fei's just doesn't work. I don't know if you have to do deathblows on foot to use them in Gears, but after trying the Bart battle several times I could not do Raigeki (the first Weltall deathblow) which was bad because he uses that loving annoying accuracy decreasing attack.

First, yes, you have to learn a Deathblow on foot to unlock it in a Gear, unless you have the right gear equipment (which you don't yet).

As for the learning problem, it's a quirk of how Deathblow 'experience' is gained. You don't gain experience for the specific button combination but for how often you've used the individual hit-types in battles without initiating your learned Deathblows. Since X is the hit that initiates Deathblows, it tends to be the limiting factor on learning a lot of them. Fight a few battles exclusively using XTT or XS with Fei and you'll learn Raijin in no time... maybe even in one fight! TXT should work too, but it's safer to just start with the X, in case that first hit is a killing blow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, you're screwed on the menus (and in the game as well), but you can turn on subtitles.

That said, control issues aside, it seems like a fairly solid JRPG so far.

Right then. Guess I'll be posting in here, asking for silly answers to stupid questions soon enough :v:

Sorry man, my memory is awful and it isn't like the game was my favorite one ever or anything. It was good and I don't regret buying it, but I'm a cheap bastard that wishes money got me 500 hours per dollar :)