Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
Can any Verizon employee confirm what I read in other forums: If you have a lovely connection (we're talking one or two bars, constant dropped calls), Verizon will work with you and discount the cost of their network extender? Someone on another forum said they got the new $250 3G extender for $50. Not that I'm expecting such a discount but any amount off an item that's quickly becoming a necessity would be great.

What kind of language or things should I say that would persuade them? Any special programs to mention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I got the older 2G only network extender for free a year ago. The house I moved into is basically a deadzone. Even on the 4G map, the little section of road I live on is "extended 4G" surrounded by "kickass 4G."

I basically called from a lnadline and explained how frequently audio cuts out, calls drop (three times within 5 mins), how it'll say I have 3G but then drop to 0 bars of 1X when I try to load things (yet friend on Sprint can stream youtube videos just fine inside my house). I ended up reading off the signal strength to the guy off of my phone and he was all, "wow, that is really bad."

He followed up by saying they'd take $100 off the price immediately, and then they'd have a $150 credit put on within 30 days. They followed through and I got my network extender and didn't pay a dime.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I called up asking about my EFT and saying my signal sucked after moving to a new apartment. They dropped $100 off the cost the the extender and gave me a discount for 6 months which effectively covered the remaining $150. They also gave me a bunch of free minutes.

If you need one definitely call and ask/complain.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I have a grandfathered unlimited dataplan. I live in the middle of Chicago where I'm assuming I can get a good 4G signal at my house. Would dropping my home internet and using tethering on a 4G phone be a bad idea or does 4G = go to town?

Basically, if I use 30+ gigs like that screenshot every month will they get pissed, or if it's all 4G will they not care?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
There was one story of someone who used 60GB of 4G in 13 days and got throttled during peak hours as a result, but that seems to be an isolated case.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/0...-were-affected/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

THF13 posted:

There was one story of someone who used 60GB of 4G in 13 days and got throttled during peak hours as a result, but that seems to be an isolated case.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/0...-were-affected/

They also have a guy who did 120gb in 10 days but didn't get throttled.

:iiam:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Is it me or has the 4G network been very flakey as if late. I'm in 4G saturated area and in the past it seems like there would be outages once a month, now they seem weekly.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Right now, at this very moment, it's probably the Bionic with an extended battery with 4G turned off.

This.

Even with 4G turned on, my bionic with the extended battery lasts about 16 hours with fairly heavy usage.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
If this is to believed, it makes my decision to get the Galaxy Nexus that much easier.

Is it too much to ask for a cell carrier that's just a dumb pipe? I'd even swallow tiered data if it were priced sanely.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

cptn oblivious posted:

If this is to believed, it makes my decision to get the Galaxy Nexus that much easier.

Is it too much to ask for a cell carrier that's just a dumb pipe? I'd even swallow tiered data if it were priced sanely.

Yea we are discussing it a bit in the other thread.

Our early conclusion:

gently caress Verizon.

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
What other thread?

I'm totally with you on the sentiment. The trouble is, its not just Verizon. This is the standard operating procedure of all the major US cell carriers. Which means if you want the latest hot and sexy phone that you can actually use on the highway you have to put up with this poo poo.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Other than the fact that traditionally nexuses have had unlocked bootloaders, do we have any reason to believe Verizon won't do the same to their version of the Samsung nexus? It feels like it should be a foregone conclusion, but given Verizon's track record and the lack of any confirmation that Verizon won't do it again, I'm left slightly concerned.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
^^^^^^^
I tend to not trust Verizon to do anything right.

cptn oblivious posted:

What other thread?

I'm totally with you on the sentiment. The trouble is, its not just Verizon. This is the standard operating procedure of all the major US cell carriers. Which means if you want the latest hot and sexy phone that you can actually use on the highway you have to put up with this poo poo.

Android OS thread.

Also I don't think T-Mobile and Sprint are this crazy about it. I really don't know though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/verizon-4g-iphone-block/all/1

The article talks about the rules affecting a future LTE iPhone, but doesn't the open access condition on the LTE spectrum Verizon uses pretty much mean the devices can't have locked bootloaders?

quote:

“The interpretation that the rules would ensure all handsets sold by the licensee would be unlocked was the clear intent from Chairman Martin at the time,” Markham said, referring to Kevin Martin, the Republican who headed the FCC at the time the auction rules were set.

When Martin testified to Congress about the provision, Martin made it clear that that “this condition means all handsets will be unlocked and open to all apps,” according to Markham.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing is though, I'm not sure if "replacing the operating system" falls under the standard of "any app."

Verizon currently does allow you to run any app as they do not lock out the ability to side load. Is the OS an app? It's hard to say.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

The thing is though, I'm not sure if "replacing the operating system" falls under the standard of "any app."

Verizon currently does allow you to run any app as they do not lock out the ability to side load. Is the OS an app? It's hard to say.

No, the OS is not an app. Do we call Windows a program? Or Linux?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

FCC-07-132A1.pdf posted:

222. Scope of the requirement for open platforms for devices and applications.

Wireless service providers subject to this requirement will not be allowed to disable features or functionality in handsets where such action is not related to reasonable network management and protection, or compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.

And, earlier:

FCC-07-132A1.pdf posted:

Accordingly, consistent with the broadband principles set out above, we will require only C Block licensees to allow customers, device manufacturers, third-party application developers, and others to use or develop the devices and applications of their choosing in C Block networks, so long as they meet all applicable regulatory requirements and comply with reasonable conditions related to management of the wireless network (i.e., do not cause harm to the network).

So locking bootloaders on 4G devices is not allowed but, of course, Verizon is ignoring the requirements. And beyond the scope of the ruling, the idea that you can sell a computer which is permanently locked to a specific operating system the company provides is bizarre and I can't believe it's gone on as long as it has.

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.
If anyone work works at Verizon or has done this before let me know:

I currently have an individual plan and am eligible for an upgrade.

My Dad has a family plan that I want to be on because it will be cheaper.

I want to keep my phone number.

So I get the upgrade with the 2 year contract, then call Verizon to transfer the plan? Is that the best way to do it?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I don't work for them, but that's how we did it when we moved a family member onto our plan, and the retail guy made sure we did it that way -- that is, get your upgrade first, then switch the line to another plan.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

PorkFat posted:

Can any Verizon employee confirm what I read in other forums: If you have a lovely connection (we're talking one or two bars, constant dropped calls), Verizon will work with you and discount the cost of their network extender? Someone on another forum said they got the new $250 3G extender for $50. Not that I'm expecting such a discount but any amount off an item that's quickly becoming a necessity would be great.

What kind of language or things should I say that would persuade them? Any special programs to mention?

If you really play hardball with them and threaten to cancel your service you can get it for free, I got one for my parents this way. Just mention that you've been paying for a service that you don't really get (service in your home) and that you've been a loyal customer for X years but you'll go somewhere else if they don't hook you up with a free network extender. If they say 'we don't do that', let them know that you've done your research and know that they have done it before. Don't accept a discount, either. Keep threatening to cancel your account.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

"vote_no" posted:

So locking bootloaders on 4G devices is not allowed but, of course, Verizon is ignoring the requirements. And beyond the scope of the ruling, the idea that you can sell a computer which is permanently locked to a specific operating system the company provides is bizarre and I can't believe it's gone on as long as it has.

Iphones do this, so I doubt the concept is going away (unfortunately).

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

helium muppet posted:

If anyone work works at Verizon or has done this before let me know:

I currently have an individual plan and am eligible for an upgrade.

My Dad has a family plan that I want to be on because it will be cheaper.

I want to keep my phone number.

So I get the upgrade with the 2 year contract, then call Verizon to transfer the plan? Is that the best way to do it?

No, you will lose the warranty on your new phone. You transfer to the family plan, then upgrade.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Avian Pneumonia posted:

If you really play hardball with them and threaten to cancel your service you can get it for free, I got one for my parents this way. Just mention that you've been paying for a service that you don't really get (service in your home) and that you've been a loyal customer for X years but you'll go somewhere else if they don't hook you up with a free network extender. If they say 'we don't do that', let them know that you've done your research and know that they have done it before. Don't accept a discount, either. Keep threatening to cancel your account.

I got a Network extender for my dad it was really easy. I called up and asked for retentions. Fully intent on leaving if it came to it. You really have to be willing to follow through. It helped that dad was out of contract. When I got them on the line I said,

Me: "Well I don't actually want to cancel but I don't get service in my house and I know AT&T works and they offered me the same deal I have with you guys to go with them. I'm actually plenty happy with the Verizon service outside my home but I'm going to start working from home and having working cell service is a requirement."

Verizon: "We have a device we can sell you that gives you service in your home."

Me: "Oh, well, I'm not really open to paying for something. AT&T isn't going to make me pay additional money to use my phones at home and to be completely honest I'm not very good with gadgets so I'm nervous I couldn't even use it but I appreciate the offer."

Verizon: "Hold on sir, there might be something we can do to get you that device. If you'll just hold a few minutes I can find out more information for you."

Got device for free, two new phones for free and an additional $50 credit on the next bill just because. I find it's best to pretend to be naive but really friendly.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is there a "trick" to getting a competent sales person at a Verizon store? Like "can I talk to someone who knows about Android?" I went in today because my Bionic stopped connecting to 3g -- 4g and wifi worked fine just not 3g. I went in and the rep did all the things I has tried (cycling airplane mode, battery pull, etc) then said we needed to factory reset the phone. I was wary of this and suggested swapping the SIM card as I had read that was a problem with the Bionic. The rep looked confused and asked a very stressed looking woman (who was helping 3 people at once) if that would work and was told it was something that has worked in other cases.

Long story short, the new SIM worked but I am glad that I had read that (here?) else I would have a wiped phone and probably the same problem.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is there a "trick" to getting a competent sales person at a Verizon store? Like "can I talk to someone who knows about Android?" I went in today because my Bionic stopped connecting to 3g -- 4g and wifi worked fine just not 3g. I went in and the rep did all the things I has tried (cycling airplane mode, battery pull, etc) then said we needed to factory reset the phone. I was wary of this and suggested swapping the SIM card as I had read that was a problem with the Bionic. The rep looked confused and asked a very stressed looking woman (who was helping 3 people at once) if that would work and was told it was something that has worked in other cases.

Long story short, the new SIM worked but I am glad that I had read that (here?) else I would have a wiped phone and probably the same problem.

Finding a competent person at any retail store is luck of the draw.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The best way is to always research your problem first, and then go in to the store and tell them what you want done and have them do the legwork. If you let them, they will turn your phone off, pull the battery out, put it back in, turn the phone on, and stare at the 'About Phone' screen for an inordinate amount of time and then repeat 30 times before they ask someone else.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I am having some weird battery issues with my stock Bionic. Today after 7 hours I was at 10% battery. I had not been on my phone for more then 20 min all day. The Battery breakdown said:
Cell Standby 45%
Phone Idle 42%
Display 5%
Calls 4%
Facebook 2%
Android System 2%.

My running processes were: Settings, Facebook, Airmail, Battery Widget, Google +, Data Manager Service, Weather, Fancy Widget, Backup Assistant, Maps, Google services, Bluetooth dn (?), IM, Sync Service, Preset, and Swiftkeyboard.

Any ideas on what is going on here? Seems a bit extreme?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Did you try restarting the phone?

I had a weird issue the other day where the battery meter was stuck at 20% and wouldn't budge even when charging. I restarted the phone and it said fully charged afterwards.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
If it actually IS that low, how's the signal where you were? Having a very weak signal will drain a battery fast as well.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Did not start a restart, so that could have been it.

It said I had no time without a signal, so I don't think that was it. Boo.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
http://smartphones.verizonwireless.com/nexus/

Going to freak out now...

(Yeah its just an info signup page but its even more official :woop:)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I am buying a Blackberry Tour off Craigslist tomorrow to replace my lost Palm Pixi. To activate this new phone I simply go online, go to the 'Activate or Switch Device', and enter the ESN? Nothing else?

At the moment that strikes me as way too simple.

For what it's worth the seller provided me with the ESN and it was approved per checkesnfree.com.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Abel Wingnut posted:

I am buying a Blackberry Tour off Craigslist tomorrow to replace my lost Palm Pixi. To activate this new phone I simply go online, go to the 'Activate or Switch Device', and enter the ESN? Nothing else?

At the moment that strikes me as way too simple.

For what it's worth the seller provided me with the ESN and it was approved per checkesnfree.com.

or you can *228 option 1 and enter your phone number then the account security code/last four of SSN#.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Call Verizon to check the ESN. It doesn't cost you anything and they're far more trustworthy than a random website. Although a Palm Pixi should only cost $20 so it's not to big a loss.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison
How are people selling the HTC Trophy brand new for so low on ebay? I've seen several go for $200 and I got mine for $250. One of the sellers mentioned getting one as a door prize but having AT&T so he's selling it.

Are people selling the free ones when signing up for a new account and buying their own phone outright?

So far it's a pretty drat cool phone. I thought I was fine with the Pre+ but wow is the soft keyboard on this way better than the lovely hardware one on the Pre. It's even smoother than my overclocked and patched/hacked Pre. I just don't like that I have to go into all these settings to modify gps, push/download schedule. Half of the programs want location.

And WP7 really needs a dominoes game. Bad.

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 27, 2011

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Whenever I go into my local Verizon store I ask one of the guys there if they've sold any Trophys recently, and the answer is always no :smith:

They actively convinced my mom to get android instead of the Trophy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Watch it come out in May with 2.3.5.

edit: a Droid slider coming out in a month that isn't in the summer? :confused:

moon demon fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Watch it come out in May with 2.3.5.

edit: a Droid slider coming out in a month that isn't in the summer? :confused:

It looks waaaay too close to being done to sit on for the next 6 months.

Not to mention I would expect them to ride the Razr marketing into a Razr with keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

:woop: :siren: :woop:

Finally, a phone I'd legit drop my upgrade for!

• Locked thread