Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
WrestleCrap Radio announced that next week, Roddy Piper will be a special guest for their Halloween episode. This is why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRayPer posted:

And despite all of that media work, WWE's PPVs are at all time lows, their ratings have fallen year after year, live gates are declining and their overall profitability has declined. The Rock had 4 years on top, but those were the biggest years of all time. Those aren't just four good years, they are four legendary years. John Cena was a good draw for several years and is now on top in a period where PPV is worse than it has ever been. Pro wrestling itself is still looked on obscenely poorly despite all the media and charity he does. Just look at the Linda McMahon campaign.

CMLL's business went well below the average last year. Their ratings reached test pattern levels in the early fall of 2010 and there were some scary gates at Arena Mexico.

Cena should get in eventually, but there are going to be people who are going to hold things against him for one reason or another. He might even get in on the first ballot, but I don't think he will for reasons I've laid out and reasons that probably exist in the heads of some of the voters.

All numbers directly attributable to John Cena (like ratings, merchandise sales) have maintained or even rose as the rest of the business declined.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Rick posted:

All numbers directly attributable to John Cena (like ratings, merchandise sales) have maintained or even rose as the rest of the business declined.

How are ratings more directly attributable to Cena than PPV buys, considering he's been in the main event of the vast majority of PPV's for the last 4/5 years?

Not that ratings have exactly maintained, either. Average ratings for Raw since 2005, the year Cena was drafted to the show:

2005: 3.81
2006: 3.90
2007: 3.61
2008: 3.27
2009: 3.57
2010: 3.28
2011: 3.24

I would look at it more as a gradual decline, with 2008 being a very bad year, followed by a rebound in 2009 and then back to the downward trend.

That being said, I agree that Cena still is the closest thing we have to a draw in this day and age, and he should eventually go in.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Borh posted:

How are ratings more directly attributable to Cena than PPV buys,

Because you can see what ratings individual segments generated.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

Rick posted:

Because you can see what ratings individual segments generated.

That's true to some extent, buy I would contend that by being in the main-event segment (last 15 minutes + overrun), which Cena is more often than not, he's always gonna get better ratings than the guys in the death quarters. This is taking nothing away from Cena, because I'm well aware of the fact that if they put Jack Swagger vs. Ted DiBiase in the main event, the rating would almost surely be smaller. But to me, simply saying Cena brings ratings while everything else does not is simplifying things too much.

Conversely, if Cena is consistently on top of the card on PPV and the PPV buyrates are steadily declining you would, at least in theory, place some of the blame for that on the guy who's headlining the shows. Same holds true for other metrics, such as house show gates. Cena may be drawing better than anyone else on the roster, but he's been drawing less and less over the years. But again here, I believe other factors have to be considered, so it's not a clear-cut cause and effect situation.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Todd shamelessly defending TNA was kind of sad.

Well it's not like the Robert Roode build was that long.
And if it wasn't Bound For Glory nobody would care.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Borh posted:

That's true to some extent, buy I would contend that by being in the main-event segment (last 15 minutes + overrun), which Cena is more often than not, he's always gonna get better ratings than the guys in the death quarters. This is taking nothing away from Cena, because I'm well aware of the fact that if they put Jack Swagger vs. Ted DiBiase in the main event, the rating would almost surely be smaller. But to me, simply saying Cena brings ratings while everything else does not is simplifying things too much.

Conversely, if Cena is consistently on top of the card on PPV and the PPV buyrates are steadily declining you would, at least in theory, place some of the blame for that on the guy who's headlining the shows. Same holds true for other metrics, such as house show gates. Cena may be drawing better than anyone else on the roster, but he's been drawing less and less over the years. But again here, I believe other factors have to be considered, so it's not a clear-cut cause and effect situation.

His midshow segments are just about as strong as they've ever been, sometimes stronger and even some of his worst segments generally still gain some viewers. Roughly the same amount of people watch Cena as six years ago.

All the evidence points to WWE's core audience being fans of Cena and nobody else (except maybe Triple H and Undertaker).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rick posted:

His midshow segments are just about as strong as they've ever been, sometimes stronger and even some of his worst segments generally still gain some viewers. Roughly the same amount of people watch Cena as six years ago.

All the evidence points to WWE's core audience being fans of Cena and nobody else (except maybe Triple H and Undertaker).

This is not true. The peaks of Raw have declined, and we have seen hour 2 being lower than hour one in recent years something that almost never happened before. John Cena's absence from injury and return from injury has also failed to move ratings.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

This is not true. The peaks of Raw have declined, and we have seen hour 2 being lower than hour one in recent years something that almost never happened before. John Cena's absence from injury and return from injury has also failed to move ratings.

The last Raw that had a worse second hour barely had Cena in the second hour. I'm not saying that the rating went down because of that but you certainly can't blame it on him either.

And the peaks are declining because the non-Cena audience is leaving. Cena still averages an increase hundreds of thousands of viewers who tune in to just see him just like he did 6 years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rick posted:

The last Raw that had a worse second hour barely had Cena in the second hour. I'm not saying that the rating went down because of that but you certainly can't blame it on him either.

And the peaks are declining because the non-Cena audience is leaving. Cena still averages an increase hundreds of thousands of viewers who tune in to just see him just like he did 6 years ago.

So does anyone who gets put in the 10 PM and main event segments. It isn't even like Cena is guaranteed to do huge jumps in those segments, he has been in matches at 10 that have done really disappointing increases.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

So does anyone who gets put in the 10 PM and main event segments. It isn't even like Cena is guaranteed to do huge jumps in those segments, he has been in matches at 10 that have done really disappointing increases.

Cena still gains a pretty impressive amount of viewers when he's on in the middle of the show.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Dave was funny going off on wrestlers who make fools of themselves on Twitter using Slater's recent rant as a starting point, lol.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Perigryn posted:

Dave was funny going off on wrestlers who make fools of themselves on Twitter using Slater's recent rant as a starting point, lol.

"Matt Hardy, you're a moron, don't go on twitter."

:qq: "Oh, but I wanna be on it!" :qq:

"NO! Stay off it."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Borh posted:

"Matt Hardy, you're a moron, don't go on twitter."

:qq: "Oh, but I wanna be on it!" :qq:

"NO! Stay off it."

Dave did voices. :staredog:

That was awesome.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LordPants posted:

Dave did voices. :staredog:

That was awesome.

I was like, oh good, yet another loving Twitter rant, and then that happened and all was right. :)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
My podcast downloader downloaded the Bragging Rights review show instead of the most recent WO (apparently this happened to a bunch of people).

I was really amazed to hear them open the show discussing the "news everyone is talking about, possible Undertaker and Brock Lesnar plans for Wrestlemania".

I was wondering what the hell I missed not watching Raw last night :psyduck:

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

A little over 48 minutes into the B&V show...

Bryan: "A Bob Sapp dildo and a green cloak"

And this all was ultimately because Granny couldn't say the phrase "Grim Reaper" properly.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't know jorts could be so upsetting.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"We don't wrestle people like that, we employ them."

:staredog:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

What?

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What?

If ever there was an appropriate time for a crowd to chant that...

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Arbite posted:

I didn't know jorts could be so upsetting.

Legit made me jump, Bryan can be a scary little dude sometimes

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

What?

Ric Flair circa Mid Atlantic Wrestling.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
"that means no loving JORTS!!!! :killdozer:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah Bryan was in rare form today. He's never this entertaining when Raw is good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Meltzer laughing about how his career is over if the WWE ever goes out of business on the 25th podcast was hilarious for some reason.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"Ate the feet?"

"Eat Defeat"

"That's what it's the called?"

"Yeah"

"You've got to be kidding me."

"I swear to god it's true."

"Eat The Feet?"

"I told you Gailforce is a better name."

"She only uses one loving foot!"

:haw:

Worth my subscription right there.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LordPants posted:

"Ate the feet?"

"Eat Defeat"

"That's what it's the called?"

"Yeah"

"You've got to be kidding me."

"I swear to god it's true."

"Eat The Feet?"

"I told you Gailforce is a better name."

"She only uses one loving foot!"

:haw:

Worth my subscription right there.
Bryan was already accepting of the fact she has a finisher called "Happy Ending". He just couldn't handle THIS name lol

"That's standards right there..."

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

There's no people in Finland common now. :colbert:

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Rick posted:

Meltzer laughing about how his career is over if the WWE ever goes out of business on the 25th podcast was hilarious for some reason.

That struck me as a bit odd, I would have though most of the Observer subscribers wouldn't have that great an interest in WWE.

I guess though they provide at least half of the news Observer reports on though and new would be really slow without them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Sue Denim posted:

That struck me as a bit odd, I would have though most of the Observer subscribers wouldn't have that great an interest in WWE.

I guess though they provide at least half of the news Observer reports on though and new would be really slow without them.

Yeah I don't care much for WWE, but I do really enjoy the Observer WWE reviews for some reason. If WWE was gone and I had to listen to Meltzer solely talk about UFC, I'd cancel.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

triplexpac posted:

Yeah I don't care much for WWE, but I do really enjoy the Observer WWE reviews for some reason. If WWE was gone and I had to listen to Meltzer solely talk about UFC, I'd cancel.

My favorite part are the questions. When somebody asks a question that really fires his brain and he starts going off on long tangents and pro wrestling of yore is really fantastic.

Of course, every time I email a question Bryan either miss reads it or comments "I don't understand that question." :negative:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rick posted:

Didn't Bryan have a bit a few weeks ago where he said essentially "I don't really care if WWE go out of business, there's years of tapes of wrestling for me to talk about"?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lamuella posted:

Didn't Bryan have a bit a few weeks ago where he said essentially "I don't really care if WWE go out of business, there's years of tapes of wrestling for me to talk about"?

He did, but he seems delusional if he thinks that's a sustainable business model.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't understand how Lance can rip UFC so much for Chael Sonnen who sat out an entire year due to PEDs and still watch WWE (and think about giving Impact another try) when one hands out 30 day suspensions for first failures and the other does absolutely nothing.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

I don't understand how Lance can rip UFC so much for Chael Sonnen who sat out an entire year due to PEDs and still watch WWE (and think about giving Impact another try) when one hands out 30 day suspensions for first failures and the other does absolutely nothing.
He admits that it's unreasonable but it would take a lot to make him stop watch wrestling.

UFC is the only sport he's ever followed and only for X years, rather than his life's passion and 20+ year profession.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

I think he has a point. When you do PEDs in pro wrestling you aren't actually influencing anything, maybe you get a push because Vince pops a boner but in the UFC you're actively trying to hurt the other guy and PEDs put your opponent in more danger.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Started listening to Wrestling Weekly recently. Les Thatcher is awesome, and it's nice to listen to someone more in tune to the world outside of wrestling than Bryan and Dave.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"This writing team couldn't book a wet dream."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Arbite posted:

"This writing team couldn't book a wet dream."

I had this dread in my stomach during that whole exchange, feeling like Meltzer was going to go into detail about how to book a wet dream properly. He kept almost doing it, it was terrifying.

Really fun show though.

• Locked thread