Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Kuri posted:

I'm on my phone, so pardon the massive quote: your concurrent use of omeprazole and an amphetamine might be one of the sources of your issues with stimulants. The Prilosec raises gastric pH, increasing absorption of the amphetamine, causing a feedback loop further exacerbating any effects you feel, good or ill.

Have you discussed the secondary effects of this with your GP?

Haven't discussed it with the GP, but I asked my Psychiatrist about it, and he said that it was safe. I can ask my Gastroenterologist about it. My GERD is chronic, whenever I try to go off the Omeprazole, it comes back with a vengeance. And I'm also treating my GERD by avoiding spicy foods, sleeping on a wedge pillow. Etc.

But I'd love to hear about this connection. Because this could be the thing screwing everything up, and I might be able to switch to another GERD medication. Is it specifically Omeprazole, or all GERD drugs?

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Hi.

This is fantastically stupid, but here we go.

Do mangos could as a citrus fruit? Should be avoiding these because of a possible reaction? Because every morning, when I get off the bus to walk to work, I take my Dex. Then, I stop at the local Indian deli and have a mango lassi for breakfast.

If it is, this could be another way that I'm inadvertently sabotaging my meds, and thus causing mayhem.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

Do mangos could as a citrus fruit? Should be avoiding these because of a possible reaction? Because every morning, when I get off the bus to walk to work, I take my Dex. Then, I stop at the local Indian deli and have a mango lassi for breakfast.

If it is, this could be another way that I'm inadvertently sabotaging my meds, and thus causing mayhem.

Mango lassis are made with yoghurt, so it's probably the dairy in that that's making your dex work less. I can sympathize with you, since I went on a diet and realized that I can't have smoothies in the morning with milk/yogurt because of it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Qu Appelle posted:

Hi.

The calcium in the lassi could be bonding with the dexedrine, preventing some of it from working as intended. This happens with a very wide variety of medications. The documentation that comes with your meds may have a part that tells you to space out calcium-based antacids such as Tums and also not to have any dairy products with it. Try not having anything with a significant amount of calcium within an hour or two before or after you take your meds and see if you notice a difference.

So far as I know, citric acid doesn't have a lot of reactions with medication. It isn't really citrus fruit you need to avoid, it is fruit with specific compounds. The only fruit I hear about at work that you shouldn't take with meds is grapefruit, which you can read about here.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Mango lassis are made with yoghurt, so it's probably the dairy in that that's making your dex work less. I can sympathize with you, since I went on a diet and realized that I can't have smoothies in the morning with milk/yogurt because of it.

Is this true with Ritalin as well? I tried googling "Ritalin dairy" but all I got was a bunch of wackos.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Chin Strap posted:

Is this true with Ritalin as well? I tried googling "Ritalin dairy" but all I got was a bunch of wackos.

Not sure, I was only on ritalin for a little while and it nearly made my heart explode. My doctor told me that I should wait for at least 1-2 hours after I take my meds to eat or drink anything other than water. It seems to be working so far, just means that I have to rearrange my work out schedule to compensate for it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chin Strap posted:

It is true with anything that will bond with calcium (many, many medications), but it only really matters if you take the medication within an hour or two of the calcium.

This includes multivitamins, by the way. If you are taking any kind of calcium supplement you may want to consider spacing it out from other medications that you are taking. Calcium is a real rear end in a top hat.

statim
Sep 5, 2003

mike grace jones posted:

I wasn't diagnosed until a few months ago (I'm 24). You are very lucky to have gotten treatment at 15. I managed to hold a 3.0 GPA through high school and a top college without doing reading, or any work on time, or even buying books through all of college, but every day I resent that I was able to be a "functional ADD," because as soon as I left the womb of academia the real world hit HARD. I never understood how to manage basic little mundane life tasks or even find an occupation that interested me because EVERYTHING was interested at first and then suddenly not at all. When I think about what I could have accomplished by now if I had been treated throughout my middle and high school years...it's all very depressing. Be happy for the time you've had.

Thats a perfect description of my life. Especially the real world and career problems. I've gone charging off at some new goal only to spectacularly fail so many times that even having started meds my motivation is just gone. I think its some sort of hosed up learned helplessness but looking at it that way just makes it even more depressing.

At least now I can (mostly) pay bills and get books back to the library on time.

taylor
Nov 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

It is true with anything that will bond with calcium (many, many medications), but it only really matters if you take the medication within an hour or two of the calcium.

This includes multivitamins, by the way. If you are taking any kind of calcium supplement you may want to consider spacing it out from other medications that you are taking. Calcium is a real rear end in a top hat.

Yet making your stomach a less acidic environment via calcium (e.g. tums) will increase absorption of amphetamines, in addition to binding to them. I always found that if I had dairy with breakfast them the medication was effective, but I think that this is due to calcium plus a large meal rather than calcium per se.

blueblaze
Jul 31, 2006
I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD this summer and prescribed with Vyvanse by a psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD. After that I moved out of town and stopped seeing him because honestly I am not 100% sold on my having ADHD. I still have a bottle of pills left so I've been taking them (usually just one pill per day, each pill being 30mg) on days when I need an extra boost.

Typically I get a high for about 2 hours max. I feel giddy and somewhat euphoric. I see a small increase in my ability to focus, but not significant. But as the drug wears off I am left feeling very uncomfortable. I would describe the feeling as having to hold your breath while your heart is racing. Any negative feelings are magnified during this stage and it's very easy for me to get into a depressive funk.

I remember when I was still seeing the psych, he kept asking me to up the dosage every week until I was at 100 - 120 mg or so but still I wasn't seeing any real big changes.

Could my experience with the drug suggest that I may not actually have ADHD? I understand that people without ADHD who take amphetamines get a high and can focus somewhat better but it's not world-changing the way it is for a real ADHD person.

I'm really, really dreading having to go back to see him because I sort of disappeared out of the blue without explaining. It had to do with the bad vibe I got from this doc. He didn't have the highest opinion of the people he treated saying that oftentimes people with ADHD can't get it together enough to take the pills on a daily basis. He was asking for $1000+ in fees to cover services like calling in prescriptions and phone consultations, etc. There is also a big part of me who doesn't want to have this label stuck on me. Having to take pills makes me feel like I'm disabled or debilitated without them. I don't mean to disparage people who truly have ADHD but I honestly think I was better off not knowing I had it.

So I know none of you can properly help me but I need advice on what to do.

(I plan to get another assessment done soon, through the psychiatric centre at my university - just an FYI).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

taylor posted:

Yet making your stomach a less acidic environment via calcium (e.g. tums) will increase absorption of amphetamines, in addition to binding to them. I always found that if I had dairy with breakfast them the medication was effective, but I think that this is due to calcium plus a large meal rather than calcium per se.

If you are having to take calcium as an antacid on a daily basis, that is different and should probably be dealt with with an acid reducer rather than an antacid. The major ones are Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid, two of which you can get over the counter (but you shouldn't cause they are loving expensive that way). If you are poor like myself, bring it up with your primary care physician and you can get a prescription for Zantac which is very cheap via prescription.

As far as "increasing absorption in addition to binding" this is the wrong way to think of it. The problem with calcium binding to any of your medications is it causes them to not be absorbed. I am not sure if this is the case with amphetamines, but with any medication that binds to calcium, taking calcium as an acid reducer will not cancel out the effect of your medicine getting hijacked by the calcium. Ask your pharmacist for specifics on this, they should be able to tell you if whatever medication you're taking is at risk for calcium hijacking.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

blueblaze posted:

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I was diagnosed with adult ADHD this summer and prescribed with Vyvanse by a psychiatrist who specializes in ADHD. After that I moved out of town and stopped seeing him because honestly I am not 100% sold on my having ADHD. I still have a bottle of pills left so I've been taking them (usually just one pill per day, each pill being 30mg) on days when I need an extra boost.

Typically I get a high for about 2 hours max. I feel giddy and somewhat euphoric. I see a small increase in my ability to focus, but not significant. But as the drug wears off I am left feeling very uncomfortable. I would describe the feeling as having to hold your breath while your heart is racing. Any negative feelings are magnified during this stage and it's very easy for me to get into a depressive funk.

I remember when I was still seeing the psych, he kept asking me to up the dosage every week until I was at 100 - 120 mg or so but still I wasn't seeing any real big changes.

Could my experience with the drug suggest that I may not actually have ADHD? I understand that people without ADHD who take amphetamines get a high and can focus somewhat better but it's not world-changing the way it is for a real ADHD person.

I'm really, really dreading having to go back to see him because I sort of disappeared out of the blue without explaining. It had to do with the bad vibe I got from this doc. He didn't have the highest opinion of the people he treated saying that oftentimes people with ADHD can't get it together enough to take the pills on a daily basis. He was asking for $1000+ in fees to cover services like calling in prescriptions and phone consultations, etc. There is also a big part of me who doesn't want to have this label stuck on me. Having to take pills makes me feel like I'm disabled or debilitated without them. I don't mean to disparage people who truly have ADHD but I honestly think I was better off not knowing I had it.

So I know none of you can properly help me but I need advice on what to do.

(I plan to get another assessment done soon, through the psychiatric centre at my university - just an FYI).

You are what you make yourself. Just because you take pills every day doesn't make you stupid. Presidents and other world leaders have been on daily amphetamines.

That said, go see a different psychiatrist. That dude you were seeing sounds like he sucks, nobody should be taking 100+mg of amphetamines and a doctor who would recommend it sounds like a quack.

Protip: if you're already someone diagnosed with ADHD, you can take that diagnosis and go to pretty much any psych to get prescriptions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

You are what you make yourself. Just because you take pills every day doesn't make you stupid. Presidents and other world leaders have been on daily amphetamines.

I think President Kennedy was a meth fiend, actually. Something like that. :)

You might want to check out the book "Driven to Distraction". It can help you wrap your head around what the problems with your brain are. And it also gives a good way to think about it; you can wear glasses to correct problems with your vision, so think about ADD meds as glasses for your brain. You just need your focus adjusted a bit.

Kuri
Jun 26, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

Haven't discussed it with the GP, but I asked my Psychiatrist about it, and he said that it was safe. I can ask my Gastroenterologist about it. My GERD is chronic, whenever I try to go off the Omeprazole, it comes back with a vengeance. And I'm also treating my GERD by avoiding spicy foods, sleeping on a wedge pillow. Etc.

But I'd love to hear about this connection. Because this could be the thing screwing everything up, and I might be able to switch to another GERD medication. Is it specifically Omeprazole, or all GERD drugs?

It all goes with how amphetamines are absorbed in the GI tract - higher pH environments lead to increased absorption. Given your history with sensitivity to low dosages, this might be a contributing factor. I'd definitely speak to your prescribing physician again about it.

On a separate note, I've had to drop my Intuniv dose from 4 mg to 2 mg. My heart rate (resting) was in the high 40s and my BP was, after a particularly fun syncopal episode involving a flight of stairs, 87/49. It definitely helps with organization, but it still has a heavy side-effect profile for me. I tried two weeks without it, but the absence only underscored how useful it can be for my ADHD.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I knock out my GERD with 300mg of zantac twice a day. Yeah!

blueblaze
Jul 31, 2006

That said, go see a different psychiatrist. That dude you were seeing sounds like he sucks, nobody should be taking 100+mg of amphetamines and a doctor who would recommend it sounds like a quack.

Protip: if you're already someone diagnosed with ADHD, you can take that diagnosis and go to pretty much any psych to get prescriptions.

Thank you for that. I'm going to find another psychiatrist.

taylor
Nov 21, 2004

signalnoise posted:

If you are having to take calcium as an antacid on a daily basis, that is different and should probably be dealt with with an acid reducer rather than an antacid. The major ones are Nexium, Prilosec, and Prevacid, two of which you can get over the counter (but you shouldn't cause they are loving expensive that way). If you are poor like myself, bring it up with your primary care physician and you can get a prescription for Zantac which is very cheap via prescription.

As far as "increasing absorption in addition to binding" this is the wrong way to think of it. The problem with calcium binding to any of your medications is it causes them to not be absorbed. I am not sure if this is the case with amphetamines, but with any medication that binds to calcium, taking calcium as an acid reducer will not cancel out the effect of your medicine getting hijacked by the calcium. Ask your pharmacist for specifics on this, they should be able to tell you if whatever medication you're taking is at risk for calcium hijacking.

Just to clarify, I don't take tums all the time or anything. I was just pointing out that absorption depends on the pH of your stomach, so that the more acidic it is, the less likely the salts are to leave the stomach. This is also true for peeing it out: if your urine is more acidic, the salts will be there in higher concentration.

wikipedia page on adderall posted:

Urinary and stomach pH levels can have a strong effect on DL-amphetamine excretion and absorption.[25] An acidic stomach and GI pH will decrease the absorption of Adderall,[10] and acidic urine levels will decrease the reabsorption of the drug through the renal system.[26] Co-administration of acidic substances (e.g., citric acid) causes decreased renal reabsorption of DL-amphetamine; whereas, alkaline agents (e.g., antacids) may cause a marked increase in renal tubular reabsorption. The increased reabsorption can increase the retention of amphetamines, with potential to result in dangerously high serum levels.[26]

This is why I said that if calcium does bind to amphetamine salts, there are two factors: binding preventing absorption and lower pH increasing absorption. (I also meant to say large meals with calcium seemed less effective -- like cereal or protein shakes, not that it was effective. Missing words suck. Not sure if this is actually true though.)

taylor fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 28, 2011

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, my point really was that if you subtract from the base amount but increase the percentage of the difference that does get absorbed, you get this ridiculous back and forth about calcium. To be honest all of this is based entirely on whether or not calcium binds to amphetamines in the first place, which I am not sure about. If I remember to ask, I will get that information from my boss today and put this to rest.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Talked to my boss (pharmacist) about all this citric acid/calcium/amphetamines business.

1- Yes, amphetamines are absorbed more efficiently at a higher pH (less acidity). So like taylor said, tums or whatever else antacid you use will make your :catdrugs: more effective. This also means that taking amphetamines with fruit juice, coffee, soda, etc.. will make them less effective by lowering the pH of your stomach.

2- Calcium does bond to some drugs. He called it complexing, or something like that. To his knowledge, amphetamines are not on the list of things calcium bonds with. In fact, calcium carbonate is listed as having a moderate interaction with dextroamphetamine, and that you should watch yourself when you're taking it because it makes your stomach less acidic.

So if you have GERD problems and you are taking amphetamines and wondering why they aren't working as well as they should, get that poo poo under control. If you don't have GERD problems but you drink coffee because your amphetamines don't work, stop drinking the coffee and they probably will start to work.

Thanks taylor for the note about pH. I didn't know that about the salts, and if I ever got prescribed them I would probably have gotten frustrated because I have acid problems out the yang

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Thank you for the info.

Basically, I'm taking my GERD medication at 9am, and I take my Metadate around 10:30 am, when I get to work. So, there is a little break in between. And I take my :catdrugs: with water, nothing else. And my GERD has gotten markedly better. :toot:

Oh, and vaguely good news - I talked with my doc, and also experimented a bit. The asthma flareup with the Metadate goes away when I take my rescue inhaler. So, my doc is going to have me restart taking it next week, and we'll monitor it for a few weeks, to see how it goes. Cautious optimism here.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Qu Appelle posted:

Thank you for the info.

Basically, I'm taking my GERD medication at 9am, and I take my Metadate around 10:30 am, when I get to work. So, there is a little break in between. And I take my :catdrugs: with water, nothing else. And my GERD has gotten markedly better. :toot:

Oh, and vaguely good news - I talked with my doc, and also experimented a bit. The asthma flareup with the Metadate goes away when I take my rescue inhaler. So, my doc is going to have me restart taking it next week, and we'll monitor it for a few weeks, to see how it goes. Cautious optimism here.

Omeprazole's duration of action on stomach acid is more than a day, so you won't get any change from spacing any meds away from it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

DRP Solved! posted:

Omeprazole's duration of action on stomach acid is more than a day, so you won't get any change from spacing any meds away from it.

That's also good to know. I can't stop taking the Omeprazole, and I shouldn't stop taking the :catdrugs:. So, I'll just have to live with it. :geno:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
What's a good anti-depressant to go on while being on Adderall XR? I've already tried lexapro, citalpram, wellbutrin, seroquel, effexor ummm and two others. My depression and anxiety is getting to the point where I'm going in to see a doc about how I'm feeling really suicidal (don't worry, not going to do anything stupid and off myself).

It just sucks because apparently taking the Adderall with certain ones will have really nasty or fatal side effects, and I've already tried quite a few of the expensive ones. I'm starting to think that my brain is just broken and it's going to be this lovely for the next however many decades I'm alive for. I'm also tempted to just ask the doc to start putting me on some benzos or something since I would rather be addicted to poo poo and capable of finishing school than be like this.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Can somebody tell me a bit more about breakfast and Ritalin LA? The stuff about not eating fats/dairy and eating alkaline foods is very informative, but how does amount of food alter the effects? I'm trying to lose weight but I don't want it to gently caress up my meds.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

What's a good anti-depressant to go on while being on Adderall XR? I've already tried lexapro, citalpram, wellbutrin, seroquel, effexor ummm and two others. My depression and anxiety is getting to the point where I'm going in to see a doc about how I'm feeling really suicidal (don't worry, not going to do anything stupid and off myself).

It just sucks because apparently taking the Adderall with certain ones will have really nasty or fatal side effects, and I've already tried quite a few of the expensive ones. I'm starting to think that my brain is just broken and it's going to be this lovely for the next however many decades I'm alive for. I'm also tempted to just ask the doc to start putting me on some benzos or something since I would rather be addicted to poo poo and capable of finishing school than be like this.

Talk to a psychiatrist; they know the answers to questions like this. (I've had good results with Zoloft, myself.)

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Talk to a psychiatrist; they know the answers to questions like this. (I've had good results with Zoloft, myself.)

Well the issue is that to see a psych here will take at least a year on the waiting list just to get a spot to open up. I'd rather go to my doctor within the next few days with an idea of what my options are instead of trying to cope with severe depression for a year +. I'll ask the doc about Zoloft then - Is Xanax and those sorts of antidepressants the same-ish?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Well the issue is that to see a psych here will take at least a year on the waiting list just to get a spot to open up. I'd rather go to my doctor within the next few days with an idea of what my options are instead of trying to cope with severe depression for a year +. I'll ask the doc about Zoloft then - Is Xanax and those sorts of antidepressants the same-ish?

Nope. Xanax is a benzodiazepine and Zoloft is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). I've never taken Xanax, but I understand it's dramatically different -- you take a Xanax and BAM you feel great for a couple of hours. (This is why you can find shady people who buy/sell Xanax for semi-recreational purposes.) With Zoloft, you have to take it for a week or two before it actually has any effects, and there's no "high" involved.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Because of my anxiety, my psychiatrist refuses to put me on stimulant medications for my ADHD. She says that they tend to exacerbate anxiety. Instead, I am on clonidine, with wellbutrin and abilify to manage my depression. Without my medications, I get bouts of suicidal thoughts. I used to need klonopin to manage my anxiety, but since I started augmenting my Wellington with abilify, I have been alright. Maybe talk to your doctor about non-stimulant ADHD meds?

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 2, 2011

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

prefect posted:

Nope. Xanax is a benzodiazepine and Zoloft is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). I've never taken Xanax, but I understand it's dramatically different -- you take a Xanax and BAM you feel great for a couple of hours. (This is why you can find shady people who buy/sell Xanax for semi-recreational purposes.) With Zoloft, you have to take it for a week or two before it actually has any effects, and there's no "high" involved.

Ah okay. I guess benzos are pretty useful for the short term, but it's not going to do anything to manage anything for the rest of the school year/life like I need it to. I'll ask about Zoloft then.

signalnoise posted:

Because of my anxiety, my psychiatrist refuses to put me on stimulant medications for my ADHD. She says that they tend to exacerbate anxiety. Instead, I am on clonidine, with wellbutrin and abilify to manage my depression. Without my medications, I get bouts of suicidal thoughts. I used to need klonopin to manage my anxiety, but since I started augmenting my Wellington with abilify, I have been alright. Maybe talk to your doctor about non-stimulant ADHD meds?

I'm thinking that might be an issue too. Any type of ritalin gives me terrible chest pains, and adderall xr is the only one that doesn't make me sweat or give me the shakes. When I don't take the adderall I'm not anxious but then I get nothing done and slide back into depression over school work piling up and stuff. I'll bring that up too then.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Well I've been on Ritalin for a number of months on various doses. My current experience is that I don't really notice any real effects except that I am really really tired all the time. I can seriously sleep 16+ hours a day ATM. Currently I am struggling to have the energy to do anything besides lay down and get sweet sweet slumber.

Anyone have similar issues?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
yep ritalin suuuuuuucks

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine

Thunder from Down Under posted:

I think it depends on the state. I know in Illinois they can only prescribe 1 month at a time.

Yeah, in Indiana I have to pick up a script every single month, and so does my ADHD wife.

baronvonwalz posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting their generic Adderall scripts filled? Every pharmacy in town is out of the stuff with no idea of when they'll get more in.

Yep. I've had to drive about 130 miles and pay $90 to get my Adderall. Every month twice a month we have to call every pharmacy around and try to find it somewhere.

DEA created shortage.

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Does anyone else here see ADD as something that retards your potential. I have add and think it has some redeeming quality but from the way its described its hard to see it as anything but a negative disadvantage. Thoughts?

Yes. The "ADD is a gift" thing is such bullshit and pisses me off so much. It might give us a few good traits but at the expense of better things.

Chin Strap posted:

So for the past few months I've found I have to really be selective about what I agree to do with my free time. I feel like I'm able to agree to less weekly things than normal people, because if I don't have copious amounts of unscheduled free time outside of work then I don't feel like I am able to relax.

I've always been the same way. It kind of sucks because I have to have time where I do nothing and/or I am alone or I am an angry frustrated monster.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wartime Consigliere posted:

Yeah, in Indiana I have to pick up a script every single month, and so does my ADHD wife.

Yesterday, my shrink wrote me three Ritalin prescriptions; I had thought that two months' worth was the limit. Yay! (Massachusetts)

Yep. I've had to drive about 130 miles and pay $90 to get my Adderall. Every month twice a month we have to call every pharmacy around and try to find it somewhere.

DEA created shortage.

This isn't just an Indiana thing. I asked my shrink about Adderall yesterday (I've heard good things about it lately), and he wouldn't even prescribe any, because it's apparently ridiculously hard to get ahold of lately.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I don't know if this is useful for anyone, but I've found that Dexedrine and Adderall work nearly identically for me in regards to the ADHD, the only difference was the side effects. I feel so bad for those affected by the Adderall shortage.

WA State requires paper prescriptions on special paper, but I can get three months of paper prescriptions at a time.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

DEA created shortage.

This explains why my adderall doubled in price. I could barely afford it before :smith:

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

yep ritalin suuuuuuucks

Actually, I have a :dance: trip report :dance: !

It turns out that, for me, the Ritalin-esque drugs seem to be the way to go.

The doc and I had a talk about the Metadate - while he hasn't heard of the breathing issues before, he thinks they're not that severe. So, he is having me just take my inhaler when I get short of breath, to see what happens, while I take the med. (I have the meds anyway, and my asthma isn't severe, so why not).

It turns out that I only have to take my inhaler once a day, and the breathing issues go away for the day. He also seems to think that the breathing issues may go away as I adjust to the drug. I've been on it for two weeks now (with taking weekends off), and I think that he's right. Also - the drug is working, and the other side effects I'm getting are negligible - very slight crankiness and spasticity, but nothing like when I was on the Adderall and Dexedrine. Plus, it has a really subtle rampup and rampdown, which I really like. And insurance pays for it! It's at a high copay, but they pay for it!

By gum, I think we found an ADHD drug that works for me after all :toot:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yes. The "ADD is a gift" thing is such bullshit and pisses me off so much. It might give us a few good traits but at the expense of better things.

It's a monkey hand gift. Yes, I will make you creative and spontaneous and capable of thinking of a thousand things at once, BUT THEY WILL NEVER STOP AND YOU'LL DROWN IN IT. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

2508084 posted:

This explains why my adderall doubled in price. I could barely afford it before :smith:

Yeah, apparently my student plan offered by my college I paid into doesn't cover stimulants at all (mother fuckers). I either have to struggle through a job to earn enough money, or start working out 4 hours a day to wear myself out.

Qu Appelle posted:

By gum, I think we found an ADHD drug that works for me after all :toot:

Congrats! I've seen your posts throughout the thread the last year or so and it's nice to see things work out for you now.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I was also "assessed" with ADD by a teacher ar a young age, but never really did anything about it. I managed to suck my way through high school and college but because I often work from home, managing my own time and accomplishing even the most mundane of tasks becomes quite a burden. There are times where I sit down to do something and my mind just becomes so overloaded by my thoughts that I start to become incredibly mentally fatigued and end up accomplishing pretty much nothing.

My girlfriend has been harping on me for the past year to visit a psychiatrist because it is affecting our relationship as well. I finally made the call this morning and the dude seemed pretty nice. While talking on the phone, he said that he noticed some extreme signs of ADHD just by talking to me (I don't know how he does this :iiam:) and he wants to meet with me first thing in the morning for an actual "assessment".

I'm really glad that I finally got around to doing this because lifestyle changes (exercise, caffeine, etc) only helped manage it so much.

I do have a question, about alcohol. Do any of you drink and take stimulants? He mentioned on the phone that I may need to quit drinking depending on the medication, and this has me a bit worried. I work in the alcohol industry and my job pretty much depends on me drinking quite often (almost never in excess, just a drink or 2 about 5 nights a week). Is this going to be a serious problem?

mattdev fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
You guys need to stop taking all the Ritalin and Adderall; I can't get either of them from any pharmacies I've tried.