Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Jarf posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWAbwE_eM0k
Here's one demonstrating the dangers of racing muscle cars on Maple Valley. Really wish I had a DVR or that they would allow you to transfer videos via a USB drive.

Gift the replay to me, I'll do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hey GISH members, I'm going to start pruning. Anyone have any ideas as to a fair way to do it?

My thought was to cut anyone below level 20, and who either A) hasn't been on XBL in a week or B) doesn't have Forza as the last played game. Too much, too little?

With this, I play Madden and NHL sorta regularly, as well as Forza.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Idiot race posted:

I was doing a bit of testing with my C3 Vette on the ring, spun at the karussell and got the car stuck :whoptc:

Karussell is the destroyer of cars with sub-optimal suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDWbpBm3tTo

(he was in first place when that happened)

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
FM4 is much harder to play drunk than FM3

alr
May 14, 2009

einTier posted:

On a side note about the servers, I spent about a hour between last night and this morning laying down a perfect lap with traffic on the Nurburgring in rivals mode. It takes real patience and the right about of balls to go for a pass nine minutes in that might result in the computer turning into you (apparently the BMW Z4s are incredibly aggressive and the Renault Meganes are incredibly timid, don't give you room, and don't see you). I managed to put down a ten minute lap. Slow, but good enough to get me high in the rankings and secure 150,000 credits.

I spent an age on that race, too, was made worse by the fact I was using a bulky Commodore that wasn't very agile and had a mountain of torque. I eventually got a 10:40 or something because I wound up only passing on the straights or the outside or sweeping bends. I remember around the middle of the lap accidentally downshifting one too many times and putting the thing into reverse in the middle of corner, panicking, and putting it in first with the accelerator pinned and praying nothing caught me from behind or the side. I wouldn't mind getting back into that event with a car set up for it now that I know the track a bit better, but like you said, stuffing a lap 9 minutes in blows.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hey GISH members, I'm going to start pruning. Anyone have any ideas as to a fair way to do it?

My thought was to cut anyone below level 20, and who either A) hasn't been on XBL in a week or B) doesn't have Forza as the last played game. Too much, too little?

That seems fair, getting level 20 doesn't take long, and if anyone under level 20 wants to make sure they stay in GISH all they have to do is log on once a week.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Athanatos posted:

Gift the replay to me, I'll do it.

<3 Sending it now!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Trap Star posted:

I was thinking last night the main clubs could do a weekly elimination race where last place gets kicked out of the club

In theory a good idea, but you're going to end up kicking players that actually play, rather than people who joined and haven't played since.

Also, I'd end up having to kick myself out of the group because I suck, and I don't want to do that.

captainOrbital posted:

It depends on whether or not WP7 puts its games on that list. At least for me.

e: I haven't played FM4 in a couple days because I have had to go back in to work, but I'd still prefer not to be cut from GISH. I'll probably be on tonight.

I'm not sure what WP7 is.
If you've been on since last thursday, you'd be safe. What's your GT, I'll make sure you don't get cut.

der juicen posted:

With this, I play Madden and NHL sorta regularly, as well as Forza.
You should be fine. Post your GT, and I'll do the same for you just in case though.

The reason I'm picking level 20 is that it is rather easy to get to. I'm thinking that people who aren't level 20 yet have either A) just gotten the game, or B)aren't playing it anymore. If it's A, you're safe as I can see if you've been on recently. If it's B, I think it would be fair for those people to be pruned so that the "a" types, or the people without clubs that want to get in on the goon racing can be in the club.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 28, 2011

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
How about we make a GISH active player roll call spreadsheet?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Guys, I'm bored, anyone want to do some spec racing with me? Get any BMW that's B or under, and get it up to A class. No restrictions except for it needs a full rollcage and full weight removal.

Whose down? Add me, SHoGuNN3R. :v:

e: I'm in GISH if it matters

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

I said come in! posted:

I just hit 50 a few minutes ago. I've been trying to play with goons, but haven't been able to get into any races yet. I accept the invites, but when it goes to loading the lobby, I just get kicked back to the main menu.

It might be a port issue, there's some ports you need to open I think. Also, joining a goon club or asking in IRC is a great way to get a 16 player race going.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

DrPain posted:

How about we make a GISH active player roll call spreadsheet?

I think this is the best way to do it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If people need space in LLJK, you can drop me. I wont be able to play for a week or so due to moving, so cut me so some other folks can get in some races. Ill try and get back in later when I play more MP.

GT:Z3n85

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
A few screenshots.

My R33

1080p

And a new paintjob I'm working on. It started well but after staring at it for so long I can't tell if it's good or not. Any suggestions to improve it would be welcome.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 28, 2011

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm not sure what WP7 is.
If you've been on since last thursday, you'd be safe. What's your GT, I'll make sure you don't get cut.

Windows Phone 7. It has an Xbox Live component, so the games you play on the phone may show up in your list of XBL games played.

My gt is aphex

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I think we in GISH should have buzzed racing Friday like we had last week. It started with a bunch of normal races, varying classes etc, then deteriorated into "you all go the right way and I'll go the wrong way" gimmick races every once in a while (though plenty of normal races too). Was great fun.

The two class, 15 lap Top Gear test track mayhem was especially comical.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

AFewBricksShy posted:

You should be fine. Post your GT, and I'll do the same for you just in case though.

I am the magical Im A GPS Facial.

Wee Bairns posted:

I think we in GISH should have buzzed racing Friday like we had last week. It started with a bunch of normal races, varying classes etc, then deteriorated into "you all go the right way and I'll go the wrong way" gimmick races every once in a while (though plenty of normal races too). Was great fun.

The two class, 15 lap Top Gear test track mayhem was especially comical.

"Why am I 3500 feet behind you guys. :downs:"

der juicen fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 28, 2011

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

der juicen posted:

You're good, I was racing with you last night. Aphex, you'll be fine too.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
And it looks like the servers are making GBS threads themselves again.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

der juicen posted:

"Why am I 3500 feet behind you guys. :downs:"

Chosing a PT Cruiser is never a good choice. :sigh:
Who am I kidding, I like picking gimmick cars because you guys are usually drat good. If I'm in last place in a PT Cruiser, I'm not bumping the good racers into the rails.
Though I should try and see how tuned one can get one.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Wee Bairns posted:

Chosing a PT Cruiser is never a good choice. :sigh:
Who am I kidding, I like picking gimmick cars because you guys are usually drat good. If I'm in last place in a PT Cruiser, I'm not bumping the good racers into the rails.
Though I should try and see how tuned one can get one.

Top Gear track fucks me up. But then I gently caress yall up.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

How often do you guys do the 510 spec series? I really love driving my F200-tuned model and would want in on this.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry Caseface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Inmx1574eLc

Hahah holy poo poo, now I feel sorta bad for roughing him up on the last lap to pass him :shobon:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

The only thing I feel that GT5 does better is that Indy and Nurburgring are better in that game.
That's cool to see that you're enjoying the game, ISCI! -- I agree, it's really great how it's essentially just a giant driving/racing sandbox, and you can find and make your own fun however you like right off the bat.

When you say that you like the GT5 version of the 'Ring better, what about it gives it your nod? Aside from it being a little narrower than the Forza version and having more off-line bumps, I feel like as long as you're on "The Line", both drive almost identically, but if you're out of control the GT5 version probably does have more traps/trouble spots as a result of the extra bumps represented in the road surface.

I've been going over this video for a while and I can't really find a whole lot of actual variance in the way the track works when driven correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjR8r7fWfw&

In my opinion GT5 seems to do a better job of visually transmitting the extra bumping and jostling that the car gets as a result of the lumpier version of the road in GT5, but if you're driving well I don't think that those extra bumps really have a lot of impact on the way you drive the track or make it feel any hairier than it does at a similar edge of control in Forza. Slower cars also seem to highlight the uneven surfaces a little better in Forza than do faster cars, the Zonda R is planted at all times on all tracks so I think it's not quite the ideal vehicle for that little comparison.

When I'm just tooling around, I drive the 'Ring almost exclusively in driving games, and I didn't feel like there was much relearning necessary to drive the GT5 version last year, after a couple years of only doing Forza's and GTR2's. Basically my feeling is "If you're on the line, the tracks are nearly identical."
And what kind of scrublord is off the line? There's only 170 corners to learn. :smugbert:

Obviously day-to-night cycle on the Nordschliefe is pretty amazing in GT5 and hopefully that can be added in for Forza 5 on the Xbox 720 in 2013. I also wish that Turn 10 would add in individual track stats, I'd love to see how many laps I've done in total on each track.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What you said is pretty spot on Ether Frenzy. It's mostly a visual thing for me. The GT5 version looks better, plus the day/night cycling on that track is breathtaking. Driving the 'ring in the rain or snow though, not so much. I never liked doing that, until the recent patch, where you could set it so the track is wet, but it's not raining.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Pictures of my new tuner. :dance:

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I wish I could tune.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

der juicen posted:

I wish I could tune.

The basics are pretty simple actually. Buy your upgrades, then load up the tuning interface.

a) Set tire pressure, front and rear, to 28.5.
b) Set front camber to -0.8
c) Soften rear spring rate about 10% of its default value.
d) Set brake pressure to 85%
e) Set acceleration on differential to 70%, deceleration to 40%.

This gives a drivable tune for a significant portion of new cars. All that remains is loading up the benchmark ring and setting the final drive ratio on the transmission so you can hit top speed. Then do a few test laps on a twisty track. If the car is oversteer happy, soften the rear suspension (spring rate, damping, and rebound) a few ticks until the vehicle balances out. If your spring rate gets below 50% of its original default value, consider putting a spoiler on the rear of the car.

This should produce a car that's quite a bit better than stock. It won't be a leaderboard topping tune, but the guys who get to that level spend hours tweaking their cars, and do not qualify as mortals.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

xzzy posted:

The basics are pretty simple actually. Buy your upgrades, then load up the tuning interface.

a) Set tire pressure, front and rear, to 28.5.
b) Set front camber to -0.8
c) Soften rear spring rate about 10% of its default value.
d) Set brake pressure to 85%
e) Set acceleration on differential to 70%, deceleration to 40%.

This gives a drivable tune for a significant portion of new cars. All that remains is loading up the benchmark ring and setting the final drive ratio on the transmission so you can hit top speed. Then do a few test laps on a twisty track. If the car is oversteer happy, soften the rear suspension (spring rate, damping, and rebound) a few ticks until the vehicle balances out. If your spring rate gets below 50% of its original default value, consider putting a spoiler on the rear of the car.

This should produce a car that's quite a bit better than stock. It won't be a leaderboard topping tune, but the guys who get to that level spend hours tweaking their cars, and do not qualify as mortals.

I also have trouble upgrading good. :downs:

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I would add to that:

Adjust the brake balance to a 60-70% front bias.

Since most of your car's weight is going to shift over the front wheels when braking, this gives better stopping power and helps keep the rear wheels from locking up before the fronts.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Alright check it foo's, we got a NASCAR series going on. Add SHoGuNN3R or PerfectGrade GT and bring a stock NASCAR (no upgrades) with a livery. Cheers

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Shogunner posted:

Alright check it foo's, we got a NASCAR series going on. Add SHoGuNN3R or PerfectGrade GT and bring a stock NASCAR (no upgrades) with a livery. Cheers

Would join you but I'm about to go grab dinner, but I should be on later.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

der juicen posted:

I also have trouble upgrading good. :downs:
Before you throw on power mods, upgrade the brakes, tires, flywheel, clutch, gearbox, etc. A sorted out suspension setup along with stickier tires makes a world of difference.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
If you're tuning a MR car, I wouldn't suggest moving the brake bias around THAT much or you'll lose a lot of stability in turns, depending on the car, YMMV.

You can tune in your own brake balance pretty easily by feeling a car out while trail braking - if the car over-rotates under heaving braking and steering, put some bias in the rear, and vice-versus.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

ihop posted:

I would add to that:

Adjust the brake balance to a 60-70% front bias.

Since most of your car's weight is going to shift over the front wheels when braking, this gives better stopping power and helps keep the rear wheels from locking up before the fronts.

Your logic is there but it is flawed when applied to a car with a correct suspension setup. Brake pressure should never be over 55 at the front. If you use the telemetry menu try warming up your tires and then practicing your hard stops until you know the braking threshold of your tires, then start crossing over the threshold ever so slightly to see what tires lock up first, adjust your bias and pressure from there. Advanced tuning of your brakes involves repeating these steps while entering sweeper corners where there is significantly more weight shift than just braking on a straight.

Also it sounds downright weird but always allow your pressure to be high enough to lock the tires. In some rarer instances you can go all in on your brakes and still not lookup when pressure is adjusted properly using this method.

Also the brake pressure and bias is highly affected by the total weight and weight balance of your car, and if its FWD then you have to be really careful not to go overboard on your brakes because those tires do a whole lot more in that instance.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

I also wish that Turn 10 would add in individual track stats, I'd love to see how many laps I've done in total on each track.

That and bringing back some sort of local leaderboards :argh: and I might never leave the house again

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
So, I remember all the awesome fun I had with goons in Forza 2, kinda missed out on the antics with Forza 3, but want to get back in with things in Forza 4. Added my name to the spreadsheet, gt is Swedespeed740.

Sorry to say, I'm already a member of another club, but they're not doing much outside of rivals mode. Getting the itch to do some online racing, so feel free to add me/drop me an invite.

Also wanted to share this video showcasing Forza's advanced AI :downs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIwuxwpStg

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay now that I can play online with goons, make note to self; pick up mic that works, so I can voice chat.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Do yourself a favor and skip the official MS headset which is horrible garbage, and get one of these (or similar):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001W0EQ

$20 and the speaker quality/mic volume is miles ahead of the MS units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
The 510 is so pretty. :allears:

• Locked thread