Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Whenever I go into my local Verizon store I ask one of the guys there if they've sold any Trophys recently, and the answer is always no :smith:

They actively convinced my mom to get android instead of the Trophy.

Sucks to try and break into the phone market. The OS is buttery smooth and the Trophy is one of the highest rated phones on Amazon and Verizonewireless.com

Not regretting the purchase at all. Except I have to use Words by Post instead of Words with Friends. But neither are on WebOS, so it's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I'm gonna try and goto the big corporate Verizon store at my mall tomorrow and see if they'll swap out my X2 for another one. This thing finds a way to reboot itself every day without fail. I would chalk it up to a software problem (it probably is) but I've seen people on other boards say that their X2 does not restart on them, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

How much poo poo will they give me for this? The reason Im asking is because physically there's nothing wrong with it (no broken buttons or anything like that) and if I just tell the guy "It restarts on me!" it's obviously not something I can show him reliably.

I'm afraid I'm gonna go there and he/she will just say "Welp, do a factory reset and come back if then problem still happens!" (Even though I've done 2 or 3 factory resets since the 2.3.4 update)

cptn oblivious
Jun 25, 2006
The Droid 4 looks like it'd be my ideal phone... if it has nfc and comes with an unlocked bootloader :argh:MOTOROLA VERIZON!

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm gonna try and goto the big corporate Verizon store at my mall tomorrow and see if they'll swap out my X2 for another one. This thing finds a way to reboot itself every day without fail. I would chalk it up to a software problem (it probably is) but I've seen people on other boards say that their X2 does not restart on them, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

How much poo poo will they give me for this? The reason Im asking is because physically there's nothing wrong with it (no broken buttons or anything like that) and if I just tell the guy "It restarts on me!" it's obviously not something I can show him reliably.

I'm afraid I'm gonna go there and he/she will just say "Welp, do a factory reset and come back if then problem still happens!" (Even though I've done 2 or 3 factory resets since the 2.3.4 update)

My Droid X did the same thing until I put a custom ROM on it that ran on the GB kernel. Before I did that though, I took it to Verizon and they were willing to swap it out due to restarts (ultimately I couldn't do it because I bought it second hand). I still got the impression that they were going to help me out until I told them I didn't buy it from them. At that point they said I could just go to Motorola for a warranty replacement. Hopefully that gets worked out for you. Random reboots drove me crazy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

God damnit. There's no way this will come out within the Costco 3 month window :sigh:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I have to admit, that Droid 4 is pretty slick looking.

cptn oblivious posted:

The Droid 4 looks like it'd be my ideal phone... if it has nfc and comes with an unlocked bootloader :argh:MOTOROLA VERIZON!

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :v:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
It ia pretty much my fiance's current dream phone made reality. If the GNex (ugh) wasn't coming to the red I would be all up on that phone.

Pretty sure my fiance wants to take it out behind the middle school and get it pregnant though I can't be sure.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Oh god a (probably) good keyboard phone right as my upgrade is ready. This is what I've been waiting for every since I got a smartphone.

Too bad my employer took over financial responsibility of my account and gave me an iphone (why the gently caress do people like iphones - this thing is worse than my CM7 dinc 1 in almost every way) so I can learn about them and support our users.

I'm not sure a free phone and contract is worth having to use iOS especially with ICS and all these awesome phones coming out :smith: (also firstworldproblems.txt)

helium muppet
Jun 17, 2003

Once again, Alex gets the jitters.

WeaselWeaz posted:

No, you will lose the warranty on your new phone. You transfer to the family plan, then upgrade.

Can a Verizon employee verify this? I called them and the lady said to upgrade and then switch over to the family plan...

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

Droid 4 should be everything anyone wants for a keyboard phone coming up.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/10/27/exclusive-first-pictures-of-the-droid4-by-motorola/

Think 4" screen Razr with a keyboard. That's pretty much the device.

God drat it, just when I had finally settled on getting a non keyboard phone to replace my droid!

I guess I'll wait until reviews start coming in on the Razr and Nexus, and if they are reviewing great and there is no release date on the 4, I'll pull the trigger anyway. I'd already made my peace with the loss of the keyboard.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

helium muppet posted:

Can a Verizon employee verify this? I called them and the lady said to upgrade and then switch over to the family plan...

This is correct. Switching liability of a phone number voids the manufacturer's warranty onthe device (unless you pay for the extended warranty or total equipment coverage).

The "logic" behind this is that manufacturer warranties never cover resold stuff (e.g. If you buy a used toaster off eBay, the mfg won't warranty it even if it's within the warranty period). When you transfer liability of a line, the true legal owner of that device becomes the receiving account holder, so in essence the phone was resold to them.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For a phone with unlimited data that is on a family plan (and the only phone with data), but it isn't the primary line: How would you go about getting that phone off the family plan without losing the unlimited? Or is it impossible?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

PorkFat posted:

So far it's a pretty drat cool phone. I thought I was fine with the Pre+ but wow is the soft keyboard on this way better than the lovely hardware one on the Pre. It's even smoother than my overclocked and patched/hacked Pre. I just don't like that I have to go into all these settings to modify gps, push/download schedule. Half of the programs want location.

And WP7 really needs a dominoes game. Bad.

Generally if a random app wants GPS, it's to provide location-based advertising. Are they free apps with ads?

Also, did you read my advice a few pages back about on the Trophy? If so, did you find it to be relatively helpful? I work for Microsoft, but I try to give a realistic pitch on WP7 compared to other platforms.

Rent fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 28, 2011

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004
Along the same lines as Fuzzy, but I'm looking to do the opposite (Single Line to Family). I'd be interested if I can keep my unlimited.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Can you share data on a family plan or is it per device?

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Bobx66 posted:

Can you share data on a family plan or is it per device?

Per device. The only thing families share are minutes and family texting plans. All other features are per device.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For a phone with unlimited data that is on a family plan (and the only phone with data), but it isn't the primary line: How would you go about getting that phone off the family plan without losing the unlimited? Or is it impossible?

eddyc49 posted:

Along the same lines as Fuzzy, but I'm looking to do the opposite (Single Line to Family). I'd be interested if I can keep my unlimited.

Unlimited data cannot be maintained when moving lines between accounts (i.e. when doing assumptions of liability). If you're going from single to family plan on the *same* account the unlimited will stay, it's only when actually switching from one account to another.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone else having weird problems with their Droid Bionic getting stuck in airplane mode/refusing to make a data connection when on 3G/LTE?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

SpacedOut posted:

Unlimited data cannot be maintained when moving lines between accounts (i.e. when doing assumptions of liability). If you're going from single to family plan on the *same* account the unlimited will stay, it's only when actually switching from one account to another.

So you're saying if I upgrade phones then drop off my family plan to my own single account that I'll lose unlimited data? I thought everyone has been saying the opposite?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

JP Money posted:

So you're saying if I upgrade phones then drop off my family plan to my own single account that I'll lose unlimited data? I thought everyone has been saying the opposite?
I think he's saying if it's your family plan (i.e. your line is primary and you switch that line to a single plan) you'll keep it, but if it's a secondary line you're moving, you lose it. Basically, if the person who gets billed for the line changes, you lose unlimited data.

But I could be wrong.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

rscott posted:

Anyone else having weird problems with their Droid Bionic getting stuck in airplane mode/refusing to make a data connection when on 3G/LTE?

I've been having this issue for the past couple of weeks and am getting ready to replace my Bionic at Costco due to this and a funky headphone port (touching the connector while listening to music either makes the headphones cut out or the phone randomly dials a person X times - my record is 110 times).

Along those lines, is there a trick to getting a different phone when replacing it at Costco? When I asked them last weekend what the process is I was told that they only do a same model replacement these days.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

rscott posted:

I did. Go in and them to swap your SIM card.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

duffmensch posted:

When I asked them last weekend what the process is I was told that they only do a same model replacement these days.

The best way is to simply point out the passage in the paperwork that you got with the phone that talks about the 90 day exchange policy and does not limit it to a like model.

Here is the relevant part on the online FAQ. The language about not returning it to the store is only there because this is info for the online store. I haven't looked at what the specific language is in the store version. It's very unambiguous about being able to exchange for different model over just not liking the phone.

http://membershipwireless.com/index.cfm/go/content/do/FAQ

quote:

If I do not like my phone, can I exchange my phone for another phone?

To exchange your purchase, please contact our Customer Service team. Please do not bring your purchase to a Costco warehouse. Costco.com's exchange policy for cellular phones is 90 days from date of purchase. During the exchange process you will be charged the full retail price for your replacement phone until we receive your original purchase back. Upon receipt and processing of your original device we will refund the full price of your replacement phone.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

JP Money posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so confusing. If you have unlimited data you can make any plan changes (family to single, single to family, add or remove lines, two concurrent family plans, etc.) and keep the unlimited data as long as the line stays on that same account.

However, the instant a line moves to a different account (this includes assumptions of liability & "changing names" on an account), whether new or existing, the unlimited data falls off.

So, if you take your line and make a separate single line plan that stays on the same account & the same bill that it's currently on (think of it as riding sidecar) you'll keep the unlimited data (it won't be in your name though). If you actually take your line, pluck it off that account and put it into a new account in your name *bam* 2GB data plan.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

SpacedOut posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so confusing. If you have unlimited data you can make any plan changes (family to single, single to family, add or remove lines, two concurrent family plans, etc.) and keep the unlimited data as long as the line stays on that same account.

However, the instant a line moves to a different account (this includes assumptions of liability & "changing names" on an account), whether new or existing, the unlimited data falls off.

So, if you take your line and make a separate single line plan that stays on the same account & the same bill that it's currently on (think of it as riding sidecar) you'll keep the unlimited data (it won't be in your name though). If you actually take your line, pluck it off that account and put it into a new account in your name *bam* 2GB data plan.

It isn't hard and fast. I did an AOL and got kicked to 2gb, but had an issue with identity verification and completed a day later. When I called back I was told I could keep my unlimited and was put back on.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
When it's available off-contract, what's the best place to buy the Nexus? Right from Verizon? The website only offers 'month-to-month' service pricing, not 'off-contract' preorders for the RAZR, for example.

Aatrek fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 29, 2011

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Aatrek posted:

When it's available off-contract, what's the best place to buy the Nexus? Right from Verizon? The website only offers 'month-to-month' service pricing, not 'off-contract' preorders for the RAZR, for example.

By "off-contract" you mean you are want to buy it, but like me, you are not upgrade eligible?

Aren't "month to month" and "off-contract" the same thing? That is, come in off the street as a new customer, pay full price with no subsidy, and in exchange you have no contract. Or you are an existing customer who pays full price because you already burned your subsidy something else.

I was planning to buy mine through Verizon and pay the month-to-month price, assuming that's how it's going to work. Say what you will about Apple, but they certainly do product launches right. They show the product off, then tell you when you can buy it, where you can buy it, and how much.

Compare to Samsung/Google who spends an hour showing you some super awesome device and then abruptly ends the show with an implicit "well, someday you'll get to buy it."

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 29, 2011

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Yeah, my existing contract isn't up until next year, and I want to buy the device at retail and then activate it on my line.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

It seems the cheapest place for off contract/month to month is an actual corporate Verizon store. Everyone else likes to tack on $100-$200.

Besides craigslist that is.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

For future reference, the easiest way to get a replacement phone without any hassle is to call tech support and simply tell them it's not turning on. You're going to want to call from a different phone and have the phone you're trying to replace turned off. As a corporate VZW employee, they still run us through the gamut of battery pull -> hard reset as a standard trouble shooting method and I got sick of it so I started to just fake it.

ForkPat
Aug 5, 2003

All the food is poison

Rent posted:

Generally if a random app wants GPS, it's to provide location-based advertising. Are they free apps with ads?

Also, did you read my advice a few pages back about on the Trophy? If so, did you find it to be relatively helpful? I work for Microsoft, but I try to give a realistic pitch on WP7 compared to other platforms.

I actually used your recommendation almost completely to buy the phone without trying it much at all at the store. I got it on eBay brand new for half the cost that Verizon wanted off contract.

After seeing the overwhelming positive reviews on Amazon and Verizon along with your little write up of it, I couldn't say no.

I wish there was a built-in way to control everything at once that drains the battery - GPS, email, background apps etc. Kind of like Windows Task Manager, I can see what's eating up my power. It could also have the actual battery percentage on there too, instead of looking it up through the battery saver setting two menus in. I did find a cool app to pin that controls wi fi and 3G that I use a lot.

The only downside to having a Windows phone is the drat Zune software required for updates and music. What a pile of garbage that is. iTunes is so much better. Why no OTA updates?

ForkPat fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 30, 2011

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Question for the Verizon employees here:

Last September (2010), I added my grandmother to my family share plan so she could get off a prepaid cell phone and on to something a little more reliable.

We just had to move her into a nursing home, and it's likely she won't be able to go back home. She obviously doesn't need the cell phone anymore, so my Mom asked if I could cancel the line.

Assuming a $5/mo prorate on the ETF, it makes more sense for me to cancel the line rather than pay another 11 months of $10+taxes to run out the contract.

Is there any way they'll waive the ETF in this case? I'd rather not pay it if I can.

VV I thought about going the "Grandma died" route, but I've heard they ask for proof so that won't work. Maybe I'll just call and hope for a sympathetic CSR.

LordOfThePants fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 30, 2011

Endor
Aug 15, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

We just had to move her into a nursing home, and it's likely she won't be able to go back home. She obviously doesn't need the cell phone anymore, so my Mom asked if I could cancel the line.

Call them up and tell them grandma died so you need to have her line cancelled because she's dead. "Why are you giving me a hard time about cancelling this line, my Nana is dead, you rear end in a top hat!"

Cell phone companies don't actually ask you to send in a Death Certificate for something like that, do they? Usually only financial institutions ask for that level of proof, but I guess cell phone companies have gotten pretty ruthless so you never know...

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Endor posted:

Call them up and tell them grandma died so you need to have her line cancelled because she's dead. "Why are you giving me a hard time about cancelling this line, my Nana is dead, you rear end in a top hat!"

Cell phone companies don't actually ask you to send in a Death Certificate for something like that, do they? Usually only financial institutions ask for that level of proof, but I guess cell phone companies have gotten pretty ruthless so you never know...

I'm fairly sure they do ask for proof via death certificate.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat
They do for the reason stated above. They can't just take people's word for it anymore.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

decoy octopus posted:

They do for the reason stated above. They can't just take people's word for it anymore.

Being as its an add a line on your account and not actually in her name, they might not even let you out either way. Maybe sell her phone if its worth anything on ebay and put that towards the etf?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Cancelling because someone died is for the account holder. All the lines are yours really, you just let her use one.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Droid RAZR comes out on the 10th. It's finally time to upgrade, I've been eligible for about a year. This is it.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

deadwing posted:

Droid RAZR comes out on the 10th. It's finally time to upgrade, I've been eligible for about a year. This is it.

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Cancelling because someone died is for the account holder. All the lines are yours really, you just let her use one.

Can't speak for Verizon, but on sprint the policy is you just send in the death certificate and it gets canceled. I had it happen to my customers mom, and even though it was not in the moms name, they canceled it no fees.

• Locked thread