Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Ok I guess I should revise my advice to: Try adjusting the brake bias, based on car weight distribution and your driving style, because you can probably find some value that suits you better than straight 50/50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shogunner posted:

The 510 is so pretty. :allears:

Now buy a rusted vinyl design for it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Hahah holy poo poo, now I feel sorta bad for roughing him up on the last lap to pass him :shobon:

In all fairness, that crash should have killed him, and you would have been racing a ghost.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I :love: my General Lee, even if it handles like a stick of butter on a hot frying pan.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Really starting to sink my teeth in online racing this time around. Even the weird joke games like tag and soccer are fairly entertaining distractions. Production racing is great, I just wish they would add more track/car combos. Seems like there are only 4 or 5 at the moment.

Hit me up through GISH or an invite. Gamertag: MachineSparrow

Edit: Never mind, there are plenty of car track combos now. Weird because earlier today I cycled through the same 4 for about 2 hours.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 29, 2011

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
This game is so pretty.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Cojawfee posted:

In all fairness, that crash should have killed him, and you would have been racing a ghost.

I thought we were on the last lap, so I went for the drag-race to the finish.

You weren't really roughing me up too much - your bumps helped my car go quicker!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I've opened up 8 spots in gishusing the following criteria:
Less than level 20

And one of
Gamer card status to "offline" rather than "offline since...", which happens after being offline more than a few days.
Or
Forza is not one of the 2 last played games, which I found using "compare games" on the gamer card.

I've kept the kick notices in my inbox, so if you want back in, send an invite and you'll have first dibs, otherwise it's first come first served.

On Sunday, I'm kicking anyone who is below level 18 and does not have forza as their last played game. This will open up 5 more spots as of now.

If for some reason you think you will be bumped due to this and do not want to be, just reply to this post with your gt and you'll be fine.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

DORIAL GREEN BECKHAM.

No idea who this guy is. But I wish I could make a livery with my face on it.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

That's drat impressive.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I would pay someone to make a vinyl of my face.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Is there a way to actively try and join a club match? Waiting for people to invite you seems like a waste of time :(

Also what does adding people as favourites do?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've been going over this video for a while and I can't really find a whole lot of actual variance in the way the track works when driven correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjR8r7fWfw&

Hahahahah, it wasn't until they changed the camera to the chasecam that I realized it's the same car.

GT5 engine sounds. Oh man.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Shogunner posted:

Guys, I'm bored, anyone want to do some spec racing with me? Get any BMW that's B or under, and get it up to A class. No restrictions except for it needs a full rollcage and full weight removal.

Whose down? Add me, SHoGuNN3R. :v:

e: I'm in GISH if it matters
I hosed up when trying to make you co-leader of the club and somehow transferred leader to you. If you could send it back at some point, I'd appreciate it as I can't do the pruning stuff as co-leader.
Select my name and I'm assuming there's a "promote to leader" button that I didn't loving read earlier tonight.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
Saw that Turn10 was doing some trivia questions on Facebook with next month's DLC as prizes. Started frantically searching for the answer until I remembered that I had already bought the season pass for DLC.

Also, any idea on when I should expect the LCE + Season pass credits and the gift cars for pre-ordering?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm in love with the fact that at anytime, if I don't feel like doing the career mode, or there are no goons to play against, I can just create a custom A.I. race online and get a well balanced amount of credits and experience based on my settings. That gives FM4 virtually unlimited replay value. Even better is that your list of cars are not restricted in this mode, you get access to everything, including any DLC you've paid for.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've been going over this video for a while and I can't really find a whole lot of actual variance in the way the track works when driven correctly.

Until I watched this, I never really felt like there was anything wrong with the sounds in GT5.
Boy, was I wrong.

The difference in the sound of that Zonda's engine is something like, FM4 is HDCD, and GT5 is AM radio.
Now I am itching to take the Zonda out on the 'Ring. But it will only end in tears.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
About two weeks ago, I purchased a Fanatec GT2 + Standard Pedals from a certified Fanatec dealership in Toronto, in order to avoid shipping and duties costs because holy poo poo those would suck, and after two weeks I have some impressions regarding the wheel and pedals. If you're interested, continue reading!

The GT2 wheel is pretty great. There are some issues I have with the build quality, namely that one of my shifter buttons didn't click properly right out of the box. I find this to be pretty annoying, since one of the paddles feels pretty good, requires enough pressure and has a distinctive click while the other doesn't really have any of these characteristics. Luckily it's the shift up pedal that sucks.

Additionally, the stitching the the Alcantara around the wheel rim is spotty in some parts, notably right at 3 o'clock where I rest my thumb a lot of the time. Some of the stitching is sticking out of the leather and it is surprisingly stiff and produces more irritation than I care to admit, but its really annoying none the less and doesn't exist on the other side of the rim.

I find the clamping system to be a little unstable sometimes, particularly any force applied to the rim downwards causes the base to start popping off the desk. This can be avoided by clamping the base tighter, but then I can see the clamps deflecting much more than seems safe. The little screw that allows you to adjust the clamp depth is also really squeaky for some reason, it's actually obnoxiously loud and again makes me feel a little unsure about its ruggedness.

The force feedback is pretty drat great, and in Forza or NetKar it's a really fantastic feeling to be able to feel as the front wheels gain or lose grip as you adjust throttle and steering. NetKar in particular makes the wheel shine like crazy, allowing you to feel the suspension to a wonderful degree of accuracy. One annoyance, however, is the high-pitched squealing various components of the wheel make, particularly when the wheel is applying a stronger force and I try holding it place (like during a turn) the wheel will emit a sort of squealing noise that's worrying and annoying.

The wheel has a ton of settings and the ability to store different settings in presets, which is useful for switching between games and cars. I've actually used this more than I thought I would, but I still wouldn't consider it a huge selling point.

So in conclusion, I'm a little dissapointed with the build quality considering how much the wheel actually costs (I payed $270 CDN before tax!) I sort of expected things like the paddle buttons to actually work (god forbid they're actually on their own axis). The FF really is incredible though.

The pedals are not as good. I payed just under $60 CDN for the pedal set (I recall that they cost $50 in the Fanatec webstore whenever I had looked at it) and I am really dissapointed with them. The throttle pedal has very little resistance at all, but the brake and clutch are pretty adequate I'm happy to report.

The brake pedal is not without issues however, as its incredibly sensitive to movement around it, which would be fine except that there are times where I can't browse Forza's menu's without it sending me to my message center, and I literally have to stop moving my feet at all to prevent it from doing it sometimes. It's really frustrating to not be able to browse menus unless I am completely still. Additionally, the brake pedal allows quite a bit of movement horizontally, wiggling in place.

What really irks me about this is the fact that my $60 Thrustmast Wheel Set came with pedals that were better than this. They lacked a clutch, but they were part of a set that cost the same as just the Fanatec Pedals. I'm pretty dissapointed with these.

Looking now I don't see the standard pedals on sale in the webstore at all anymore, which is interesting.

Overall I would say that while offering incredible force feedback and pleasant aesthetic (the alcantara feels great when it's not needling my thumb) the wheel suffers from some build quality issues, like one of my paddles being poo poo.

The pedals are basically just functional, and while they look nice they've got pretty poor build quality for the price.

That said, I'm not dissapointed in my purchase at all, it improves my experience immensely and provides such an incredible experience compared to using a controller/non force feedback wheel, but I do have to say for being such a "premium" brand with such expensive products, I would expect better build quality/Quality Control.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Ak Gara posted:

Hahahahah, it wasn't until they changed the camera to the chasecam that I realized it's the same car.

GT5 engine sounds. Oh man.

Good God, I had no idea the sounds in GT5 were so loving bad

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I'm surprised no one is on right now. :(

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Posted this a couple pages back, but can I get an invite to one of the clubs that we have? Both were full when I tried a couple days back.

Edit: Helps to give a gamertag: SixthGeared

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

der juicen posted:

I'm surprised no one is on right now. :(

We've got a few people running, want an invite?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

I would pay someone to make a vinyl of my face.

1000 layers is not enough for your beard.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Hello Spaceman posted:

1000 layers is not enough for your beard.

I challenge you to try.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Nothing is more satisfying than when someone goes out of their way to ram you and their plain backfires miserably. Especially when they do it like 500 feet from the finish line.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Ak Gara posted:

And a new paintjob I'm working on. It started well but after staring at it for so long I can't tell if it's good or not. Any suggestions to improve it would be welcome.

This is looking really nice man, keep us updated!

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

ihop posted:

I would add to that:

Adjust the brake balance to a 60-70% front bias.

Since most of your car's weight is going to shift over the front wheels when braking, this gives better stopping power and helps keep the rear wheels from locking up before the fronts.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Your logic is there but it is flawed when applied to a car with a correct suspension setup. Brake pressure should never be over 55 at the front.
I just wanted to add to that, ihop, please be aware that in Forza you're adjusting the relative brake pressure distribution, not the absolute brake pressure applied at each end of the car. The front has actually a much more efficient/stronger brake setup than the rear - if both ends get equal brake pressure the front is still going to do much more braking.

If any "normal" car, real or in Forza, ever had a true 50/50 distribution of absolute brake pressure it would lock up the rear every. single. time. In truth the real brake effort on regular production cars is split up about 75/25 to 80/20, depending on the weight distribution. Only race cars with rear/mid engine and/or downforce can really afford to have the brake bias shifted further to the rear - even then 60/40 is probably the most rearwards brake bias you'd ever see.

Also, the suspension setup only has minimal influence on this. Ignoring the tiny shift of the center of gravity caused by the car body leaning front/back/left/right, the only thing spring stiffness and dampers (and anti-roll bars) affect is how quickly and where the weight/load is transferred, not how much.

E: To clarify the above statement, where the load goes only really applies to cornering, not braking, as you generally do not setup the car with different spring/damper strengths on the left and right side of the car.

For example, during a right turn, most of the load goes to the left side of the car. The total amount of weight transferred to the left side will be about the same, no matter whether you put in solid steel blocks or sponges as springs, but how much of that load goes to the left front or left rear tyre depends on the stiffness of the front relative to the rear (which is determined by the spring frequency and anti-roll bars). The reason having more relative front ARB than rear causes understeer is that the front starts to resist the rolling of the car body earlier/more than the rear, so basically because the rear does not "help" in resisting the roll, the front has to resist both the roll of the front and rear weight of the car, shifting the overall load distribution to the front. This in turn causes the front tyre to be overloaded*, offering less grip overall and making the car understeer.

* Tyres are load sensitive, meaning that while increasing the load on the tyre also increases the absolute grip the tyre produces, this does not happen in a linear 1:1 fashion. If you double the load, you do not also double the grip, but let's say only increase it by 90% instead. This is also the reason that the same car with more weight will not corner as well as if it had less weight, even though the absolute amount of grip produced by the tyres is higher on the heavier car - the additional grip can simply not make up for the additional mass+inertia / amount of work required to make the car turn. This is also why you want downforce, as it increases the tyre load, and therefore grip, without increasing the car's mass, allowing you to actually use that extra grip for cornering better than squandering it heaving the additional mass around.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 29, 2011

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Thanks for the vinyls Sunday Punch. :3:

Falken fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 29, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Love dat datsun

Haak
Sep 13, 2004

Dammit, not again.
Haha jesus christ I was wondering why you'd made two with different numbers :haw:

This game is quite good.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Wtf am I supposed to do with all these cars the game throws at me by the way?

2.9% of the career complete and I have 1.5 million quid and 49 cars in my garage. And that's after selling a bunch I wasn't interested in.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ether Frenzy posted:

The comments...god, they're always insufferable. It's like the people who bought a PS3 in 2006 for GT5 think if they say Forza 4 is an "arcade racer" enough times it'll be true. They need it to be true.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are there any super grippy R3/R2 cars? Like in F3 the gumpert/fxx/mosler were all unreal, now not so much. Really struggling.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

A5H posted:

Are there any super grippy R3/R2 cars? Like in F3 the gumpert/fxx/mosler were all unreal, now not so much. Really struggling.

I haven't driven a whole load of them or anything, but my fave of the "R" cars so far has been the Radical. I loved it in that rivals challenge so I bought one for online. It handles very well.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

A5H posted:

I recall the yellow Opal Astra being really really tight. I forget if it is R3 or R2 though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

TheScott2K posted:

The comments...god, they're always insufferable. It's like the people who bought a PS3 in 2006 for GT5 think if they say Forza 4 is an "arcade racer" enough times it'll be true. They need it to be true.

Yeah, it's really kind of pathetic to see all these people latching onto GT5 like a toddler to their mother's leg. GT5 has like 5-10% higher graphical fidelity on their premium cars than Forza 4 does on their cars (that there are more than twice as many of at very similar quality and done in what, a fifth of the development time?), and a few of GT5's tracks might be just a hair more real world accurate. But as complete games, Forza 4 is so many years ahead of GT5 it's ridiculous. Everything about Forza is miles better, and it's so obvious that while GT5 wants you to endlessly grind the same things over and over again just for the privilege of gambling on another car you may very well hate (you won't find out until you spend the money because there's no test driving) and actively prevents fun-having as much as it can, Forza 4 is a game designed from the ground up to be a fun sandbox that lets you do anything you want. What's not to like?

These are products, not your friends or family members. Why is "loyalty" even a thing here?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 29, 2011

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

A5H posted:

Im not sure if it's just the one in the LLJK garage, but Ive found the Mazda Furai to be really grippy.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Anyone down for some online racing?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Brownie posted:

Anyone down for some online racing?

gently caress yes. Are the servers still crap?

I'm in LLJK as ScreaminCheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Brownie posted:

Fanatec!
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. As for the faint whining/squealing noise, I can't guarantee it will be like this with yours but the 3 new ones I've seen that did make those noises all quit once the wheel had gotten a couple weeks worth of use, something about the grease they used on the fan bearings needs to be well and truly worn in before it breaks down sufficiently and does the lubrication properly. Of course, YMMV.

Can't say I'm surprised about the standard pedals, they are really not up to the same level as the rest of the product. Clubsport!

As for the shift paddle issue - contact Fanatec if you hadn't already; if it's something you can repair they will send you the parts and let you go to town, and if it's something that you can't fix yourself they will probably cross-ship you a whole new wheel. It will take them a couple days to reply, and they don't work on weekends.

e-support@fanatec.com

• Locked thread