Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that
I added laser doors.

I also made them expensive to craft since they're so powerful. I want to add different types of biomes but I haven't decided what types I want. I also want a day/night cycle. I'm thinking of having the asteroid belt be orbiting some kind of sun. The night cycle would be when some large planet or asteroid would be eclipsing the sun from the player.

I dunno, I'll see. As always, more at http://dangerz.blogspot.com

edit: I made a trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KzCQXOGwIs I wanted something different to do and this sounded fun.
edit #2: Now, a website. http://www.astrominer.net. I'm going to release a dev build on there soon.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolex
May 5, 2001

http://vimeo.com/30583518

all seeing eye video

no pupil, gently caress the pupil.

Bodybuilding Virgin 420
Aug 29, 2000

Checkout my new web app http://www.bloard.com/
web 0.1

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

You can register, log in, and set a message that gets displayed when you go to the index (if you're not logged in, it gives you login/register links instead). I'm using Twitter's bootstrap for the CSS, and the source is here if you want to take a look. The one thing I have left to add to this toy project is the ability to see other users' messages, maybe even in a list or something. Then I'm going to write up my experience building this and document the hell out of it.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've built an online service where musicians and sound designers can sell their samples and recorded loops without having to be a big name producer or signing away their sonic rights or exclusivity contracts:http://www.sampleism.com

HTML5, CSS3, SoundCloud integration, Google AppEngine cloud hosting, all that jazz. Currently working up some statistical graph displays with dygraphs.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Dolex posted:

all seeing eye video

I have no idea what that is but it's certainly not as interesting as you made it out to be when you repeatedly posted huge images over and over again in this thread.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

ynohtna posted:

I've built an online service where musicians and sound designers can sell their samples and recorded loops without having to be a big name producer or signing away their sonic rights or exclusivity contracts:http://www.sampleism.com

HTML5, CSS3, SoundCloud integration, Google AppEngine cloud hosting, all that jazz. Currently working up some statistical graph displays with dygraphs.

Your website catastrophically crashes the latest build of Chrome on Windows (16.0.912.4 dev-m), the entire process dies.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

sholin posted:

Your website catastrophically crashes the latest build of Chrome on Windows (16.0.912.4 dev-m), the entire process dies.

Wow, that's impressive and quite unintentional. I can't imagine what's causing that, but it's fine when testing with latest dev Chrome on OS X. I'll look into it.

Thanks for the heads up!

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 24, 2011

Dolex
May 5, 2001

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I have no idea what that is but it's certainly not as interesting as you made it out to be when you repeatedly posted huge images over and over again in this thread.
I'll be sure to take this thread and my creations more seriously, thanks for your concern. I have noted your opinion on a piece of poo poo I just made, and flushed it for safe keeping.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

Dolex posted:

I'll be sure to take this thread and my creations more seriously, thanks for your concern. I have noted your opinion on a piece of poo poo I just made, and flushed it for safe keeping.

He is correct though. I was actually pretty excited and interested to see your project and then you posted a video that wasn't even class and said something along the lines of "here is the video I was talking about"

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
What are you guys talking about I loved those huge pictures of ???

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Dolex posted:

all seeing eye video

Dolex posted:

in my city we have "art walks" where the arts district hosts a big party on the last friday of every month

I'm going to setup a projector screen 10x10ft with this gigantic gently caress off eye that tracks people with a kinect and tells them to stop buying so much poo poo

Can you see why people are a bit disappointed? You massively underdelivered. In fact, these two posts seem to concern entirely different projects. Did you maybe get confused?

etcetera08
Sep 11, 2008

Check out this video of the windows media player visualizer I just recorded!!

Dolex
May 5, 2001

etcetera08 posted:

Check out this video of the windows media player visualizer I just recorded!!
what is windows media player?

Dolex
May 5, 2001

pokeyman posted:

Can you see why people are a bit disappointed? You massively underdelivered. In fact, these two posts seem to concern entirely different projects. Did you maybe get confused?
You are right, I was lazy and under-delivered. I ran the installation on the street, but never got any good video of it in action.

I'll set up the installation again tonight in my living room tonight and make a proper demonstration video recording.

I need it myself for documentation...

Zeph
Apr 9, 2007

This bagga nasty from Dogbert is
FRESH
I made a Google Chrome extension called PandoraEnhancer. I've got over 3,000 active users according to the Chrome Web Store, feels good man.

Anyway, here's what I just finished adding - this is the first time I've showed anyone this outside of a fellow goon:

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Factor Mystic posted:

Weekend project: A little Nancy extension which exposes your methods in C# as async calls in Javascript (calling it "NanIO")

And continuing this weekend, I build up a NanIO project to try out this stack + Appharbor deployment. It's a Chrome userscript which allows you to tag posts, and then on each page all the user's tags show up, crosslinked to the posts where you originally tagged them. Or, at least that's how it will work, right now it just shows them statically. And you can add new tags with the "+ Tag" link.

(The dark stylesheet is not part of the project, that's just something else I run.)

And all I needed to implement serverside was the first two methods, which are basically just wrappers for SQL queries (also testing out Dapper.net for fun):

And then glue it together in the userscript (excerpt, to show the simple NanIO call):

90% of the project time this weekend wasn't hacking on NanIO, it was bashing my head against the wall trying to get started with Chrome extensions. It is not at all clear what the right way is to get a remote script in a page. Right now I'm injecting nanio.js and my app.js code directly into the forums' dom via script tag, not in an isolated world, since apparently I can't bring remote scripts into the isolated world (and nanio.js is built/hosted dynamically so it wouldn't be proper to embed it in the extension as content). I could include it in a background.html file, then communicate between the forum page and the background.html via chrome's APIs, but that seemed like a lot of annoying work and I wanted something to show by the end of the weekend.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
We've been getting a lot of complaints that "everything is slow" and can't get any specifics about anything. We don't see abnormal usage patterns, our servers are sitting at 2-3% cpu usage, memory usage is fine, we're seeing a max of 4-5 mbps utilization on our main switch (gigabit switch, though other switches on our network are still 100 megabits). By the time the users let us know it's slow and we can look at anything, it's magically fine again.

So out of frustration, I wrote a new app yesterday:

• Gets current CPU and Memory usage on the workstation
  • Pings the SQL Server 10 times
  • Pings Google 10 times
  • Runs 20 queries, each pulling back 100 random rows, on one of our most used database tables
  • Runs 20 queries, each pulling back 100 random rows, on one of our biggest and "slowest" databases
  • Copies a 250 MB file over the network to the workstation
  • Downloads a 5 MB file from the internet

Each event gets microtimed down to ten millionths of a second, then it automatically creates a helpdesk ticket to let us know. The total test takes about 2 minutes, or on the lovely 802.11b wireless about 10 minutes. It was stupid easy but way too fun to write.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 3, 2011

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Please tell me you've got that up on github or something. I know everyone in our office needs this app.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ephphatha posted:

Please tell me you've got that up on github or something. I know everyone in our office needs this app.

I could probably put something up, but I'll have to clean out some company specific stuff.

Ephphatha posted:

I could probably put something up, but I'll have to clean out some company specific stuff.

Edit: http://pastebin.com/0jUQeG7J

Rather than try and setup a github and clean up the references to company-specific applications, I just did a quick modification. Also I'd be embarrassed to have this on github because the code was slapped together in an afternoon and I didn't bother to make it as clean as I otherwise would if it was a more serious application.

This is just the source for the main form, so you'll have to make the form which takes like 30s and the instructions for doing so are included.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 3, 2011

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

FYI, every-single-apps you make are worth writing properly. The smallest, must one-time use ones usually end up snowballing into projects of their own.

That application you did looks pretty useful indeed, and I can guarantee that IT peeps will contact you to make it generate ticket for other poo poo.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

IsaacNewton posted:

FYI, every-single-apps you make are worth writing properly. The smallest, must one-time use ones usually end up snowballing into projects of their own.

Yeah, I know. It's not really that the code itself is bad or that I'm embarrassed about what I put on pastebin, but more that in order to make it something others can use beyond what I put up, I'd have to put in some effort in making it configurable and not tied into our own exception handling and helpdesk system. It's just not in a stage ready for putting on github, and if someone wants to take it in it's current state and have some fun, more power to them. I'll definitely be putting more work into it, but since the entire app is designed to work with our specific setup it's not something I'd want on a public repository yet.

I really just need to pull out each test into it's own function, throw in regions for easier readability, comment it better, throw in better error checking for when tests fail (my own exception handling is also done by my HelpDeskTicketer class), and make it configurable with a config file or a registry edit or something. Other than that it's pretty well done.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
In a state ready for pushing to github is pretty much just "doesn't have any proprietary stuff that people would yell at you for posting on the internet". Github is not a publishing platform for completed projects and there's no reason not to push something that still requires some work to actually be useful.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

If you developed this application at work you should be careful. Many employers make new hires sign a work for hire clause as a precondition to starting the job. Especially in the US and IT related positions.

They may not care, but it's something to keep in mind. If it were me, I wouldn't open source it unless I had a signed document from my company's legal department saying it was OK.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

cliffy posted:

They may not care, but it's something to keep in mind. If it were me, I wouldn't open source it unless I had a signed document from my company's legal department saying it was OK.

My boss has let me open source stuff before. We use lots of open source products and, when possible, like to give back to the community. He's all about letting me put poo poo up as long as it doesn't include company-specific work. Usually there's no reason to, because it's SO tied to our internal systems, but anything I can pull out and do separately is fair game. I just have to do it in my own time.

Plorkyeran posted:

In a state ready for pushing to github is pretty much just "doesn't have any proprietary stuff that people would yell at you for posting on the internet". Github is not a publishing platform for completed projects and there's no reason not to push something that still requires some work to actually be useful.

I don't like putting anything in version control that doesn't at least compile, and it'll take a few hours of work to make the app in a state that can be setup that way without proprietary code. It's just a personal preference of mine.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

This thread has surpassed all my expectations! Thanks to all of you for contributing.

Here's something I whipped out today. I had an idea for an iPhone game using Augmented Reality concepts. I'm not going to go into more details because gently caress, I'm really convinced this could be the next great game (ha).

Anyways, here's a video showing off my results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5GLIKIkd6E

It can deal with object rotation, morphing and even perspective!

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 4, 2011

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Smoking is bad for you.

That's really cool though. I was most impressed when the cig pack was on angle and it was able to get the position 'back' when the logo became visible again.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

Click for a huge image of the base I've built in my game AstroMiner. I use it for testing any new features that I put in. Fortunately I haven't had any major map changes that I couldn't convert this over to, so I've had this base for a while.

When I first built it, there wasn't any water in the game. When I added water to the game, my base was a mess. I then coded in buckets so I could lift the water and move it. After that, I coded in the ability to place a block and push the water around. The culmination of that is the three pools that you can see.

dangerz fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 6, 2011

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Post video of stuff you are done working on.

From this year's OSGCC (24 hour game competition) placed 3rd. There's actually sound but I couldn't be bothered to try and get it working in the capture stuff I was using.

The christmas ball type things are health potions (I am not an artist). Pygame and python since we were working with a first year participant who didn't know D and I didn't want to be cruel and make them learn openGL when neither of my team members had done it before.

It actually has networked multiplayer so you get multiple sheep running around attacking ghosts, and yes sheep can hurt other sheep and that was everyone's favorite thing to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsWhWeWthAE

source is anyone is interested. The source is horrible, but you can download and play if you have python, pygame, and whatever other dependencies.

clockwork automaton fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 8, 2011

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Is D a common language for game dev? I've barely even heard of it.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

D isn't a common language anywhere.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yeah it's not common at all. It's just the preferred language of the other guy I was working with and the language we used to write the 1st place game last year.

Though, one group did do a Dart game (fairly obscure). Which was pretty drat awesome: you can play it here.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Hipster kitty uses some pretty obscure programming languages.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just finished version 2.0 of the IP Viewer, it keeps track of your ip address (internal/external). Windows only I'm afraid since I used MFC to write the drat thing.

The app and some code.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hipster kitty uses some pretty obscure programming languages.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jlechem posted:

Just finished version 2.0 of the IP Viewer, it keeps track of your ip address (internal/external). Windows only I'm afraid since I used MFC to write the drat thing.

The app and some code.

Curious, what site are you using? https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip?

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

Biowarfare posted:

Curious, what site are you using? https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+my+ip?

Nothing that fancy,

http://checkip.dyndns.org/Current%20IP%20Check.htm

There really isn't a reliable ip check site, if this site or what is my ip goes down you're hosed

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Google reports your public IP if you search for "what is my ip" and is rather reliable.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

jlechem posted:

Nothing that fancy,

http://checkip.dyndns.org/Current%20IP%20Check.htm

There really isn't a reliable ip check site, if this site or what is my ip goes down you're hosed
I'm a big fan of http://www.whatismyip.org/ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jlechem posted:

I mean literally just use that search string. Google's API also returns the same thing.

It'll give you the external IP it finds without the BS of the others, and really doubt it's ever going to go down.