Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, you're screwed on the menus (and in the game as well), but you can turn on subtitles.

That said, control issues aside, it seems like a fairly solid JRPG so far.
That is loving inexcusable and I wish I hadn't paid even the small amount of money I did now. Plus I think I looked at every menu option once I figured out how to switch tabs (defaulting to 360 control labels: also loving inexcusable) and didn't see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You absolutely do not need a mouse to play Last Remnant and I can only see it being slower to use one compared to how easy it is to get used to down-down-enter. Calling it a dealbreaker on a console port is pretty hilarious.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I don't know about being loving inexcusable (x2) or not but it's a good RPG and very easy to play with a controller but hey, bitch and rage about it instead of actually playing it and seeing it's not a big deal at all to play with a controller.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

If the game doesn't involve action based combat like Tales then I'm perfectly fine with keyboard controls. :colbert:

I actually think Last Remnant looks cool too. Square needs to do more PC RPGs.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 29, 2011

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Zereth posted:

That is loving inexcusable and I wish I hadn't paid even the small amount of money I did now. Plus I think I looked at every menu option once I figured out how to switch tabs (defaulting to 360 control labels: also loving inexcusable) and didn't see anything.

Clearly you should uninstall and take a magnet to the HDD. It is the only way to right this loving inexcusable atrocity.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zeether posted:

That said though Xenogears kicks rear end. I love the mech designs and the battle system. It just sucks that the US release was kind of rushed (jesus christ the lip flaps in the cutscenes, even I could sync the voices better than that)

If you're interested in the US version at all, you have to read this article, particularly pages 2 and 3. Squaresoft's translation practices in the 90s sound nightmarish and in retrospect I almost don't understand how they achieved what they did. :psyduck: They had it all sorted out by FFIX, though, which explains why the English version of that game was so, so good.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 29, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I believe you can use the mouse wheel in Last Remanant. I seem to recall you can even use the buttons too. You just need a D-Pad I believe for movement (or 'wasd') and then any extra for whatever your mouse can't accommodate.

I personally let the QTE stuff autoresolve (it's an option) since I used turbo mode so much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SpaceDrake posted:

If you're interested in the US version at all, you have to read this article, particularly pages 2 and 3. Squaresoft's translation practices in the 90s sound nightmarish and in retrospect I almost don't understand how they achieved what they did. :psyduck: They had it all sorted out by FFIX, though, which explains why the English version of that game was so, so good.

I remember reading an interview with Ted Woolsey, around the time FF 6 was being localised, the conditions he had to work under were ridiculous. He had something like 30 days to come up with the translation for Secret of Mana.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, except half the references to older games were obscured by the translators clearly not getting them.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Good god, that does sound like a nightmare. I now have newfound respect for the game's translation. I'd still like to know how they hosed up the lip syncing though. There were programs such as WordFit that could do that kind of stuff easily.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
FFXII: Man, maybe I sub-consciously accept grinding in decent RPGs, but I'm in the desert temple where there was giant ugly bird guarding the entrance. And Quickenings feel like cheating, or similar to explosives in Deus Ex: HR, where the bosses are trivialized by them. The first few times was a confusing waste of time as one character threw away all his MP for a semi-decent attack. Then I realized you were playing slots for free uses, and now that everyone has a Quickening, my party doesn't even have to buff or debuff or any nonsense.

Obviously the enemies will scale up, and I dread the point in which I'm desperately spinning the slots to do 10% of damage, but right now it's a little silly. Maybe I leveled too much? I like to go through dungeons until there is no tension from enemies and I'm basically in no danger of dying. That's not even a thought for me, it's just something I do in these games. Also the carrot dangling of unlocking the License Board piece by piece is silly in how much I want to chew through it.

Anyway, switching between this and Suikoden V are keeping me satiated for RPGs.

But it's got me thinking about how much I hate dungeons and they seem to have remain unchanged since the inception of RPGs. FFXII lets you explore by trivializing combat and Suikoden V throws everything at you with combat and levels almost no priority, so they both mitigate the gruel of dungeon crawling in their own way.

While I'm just venting and over-generalizing the genres, I am liking my time with both games. I didn't know Suikoden would break up the gameplay with the naval and land battles, which is really, really cool. Lucretia's pretty awesome as well. All the baddies seem to be on the deep end of the silly spectrum in design, though: I think my first encounter were six tiny leaves. And they almost kicked my rear end. I imagine most of them are carry overs from the series, so I don't hold it against the game. I've also been greatly relieved each time the Prince changed clothes from his previously ugly, ugly robes.

I seriously can't get over how batshit stupid the plot in FFXII isn't. And so much feels great and optimized: There's plenty of time and unrestricted space to explore and reach the far borders of where you can walk to, the characters aren't all anime'd out (costumes are usually dumb, though), Vaan is an idiot tagging along and everyone knows it, you can switch out members mid-battle, etc.. My biggest complaint would be lack of weapon specialization. Why would I want an axe or spear if a sword and shield get buffs straight from the License Board?

Great games so far.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 30, 2011

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

My biggest complaint would be lack of weapon specialization. Why would I want an axe or spear if a sword and shield get buffs straight from the License Board?

Different weapons have subtle differences in their damage calculations and special effects.

Only bows, crossbows, guns and measures can get critical hits. Bows, however, are affected by weather the most, while crossbows and guns are horribly slow. Measures are buffing weapons... that's a whole other rant right there.

Some weapons combo far more often than others. Katanas, Poles, and Ninja Swords combo far better than other weapon types, though some exceptions exist (mostly 2H Swords, oddly enough). Poles also have a hefty evade bonus to offset the lack of shield, though it doesn't make up for losing the elemental effects or shield bonuses.

Some weapons factor Speed into damage; others use Magic or Vitality. The damage change isn't much, but late-game accessories like the Cat Hood can have a big affect on damage thanks to their high stat bonuses. A Dagger + Shield user with all Speed-boosting gear can deal decent damage - especially with the high combo Danjuro - while evading drat near everything. It's a good front-line fighter setup.

Axes and Handbombs - the Vitality factor weapons - have quirk in their damage multiplier that lends ridiculous variation to final damage numbers; they can hit very very hard when you get lucky. They work best in the handed of a Hasted Berserker, as their sped-up attack rate gives you more chances to get that lucky blow, or mitigate an unlucky one.

Staves have lots of innate elemental bonuses, making them better for magic spamming than physical fighting. Rods give MP and Magic bonuses; decent for healing, buffing and debuffing, but not for raw damage improvement like Staves.

1H Sword + Shield is a very reliable combo and I always tend to have someone using that setup for reliable damage. Reliable isn't always best, though, and the other options are worth trying if only for the fun you can have in changing it up from time to time.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Obviously the enemies will scale up, and I dread the point in which I'm desperately spinning the slots to do 10% of damage, but right now it's a little silly.

Thing about Quickenings is, I've always used them to do that last 10% of damage, because once you start getting to the last 2/3 of the game, all bosses will start using this loving retarded gameplay-inflating "paling" ability that makes them invincible for about five minutes while they freely pound you with desperation attacks and fully regenerate their HP. It gets triggered every time an enemy with it in its skill list reaches a certain HP%, so to avoid undue headaches courtesy of incompetent assholes who couldn't think up proper encounters and AI, it's best to just burst them down with a lucky Quickening when their lifebar gets to that magic range.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

The White Dragon posted:

Thing about Quickenings is, I've always used them to do that last 10% of damage, because once you start getting to the last 2/3 of the game, all bosses will start using this loving retarded gameplay-inflating "paling" ability that makes them invincible for about five minutes while they freely pound you with desperation attacks and fully regenerate their HP. It gets triggered every time an enemy with it in its skill list reaches a certain HP%, so to avoid undue headaches courtesy of incompetent assholes who couldn't think up proper encounters and AI, it's best to just burst them down with a lucky Quickening when their lifebar gets to that magic range.

To add insult to injury, once the paling drops almost every boss/mark will also have the abilities that give increased defense and magic defense when at critical HP. So even when you can hit, you don't hit as hard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Captain Vittles posted:

To add insult to injury, once the paling drops almost every boss/mark will also have the abilities that give increased defense and magic defense when at critical HP. So even when you can hit, you don't hit as hard.

The Critical HP skills that bosses have are my biggest complaint with FFXII. It's a crap mechanic because you can predict the flow of battle right up until like 10-20% then you spend as much time whittling HP as you did the first 80%.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Today I picked up Depths of Peril from Steam since it was the daily deal. It's an earlier game made by the guy that made Din's Curse, which I had heard of before but not this one. If you want to give it a spin, it's only $3.75 through midday tomorrow.

For anyone that has played it before, I could use a bit of advice. I have 5 other members in my covenant so far and a couple guard pets. I though I saw somewhere that your partners could go run quests and stuff independent of you but so far they've just been sitting around in the inside of my home.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
How do you find the game is general as a first impression? I can't play the demo without it trying to crash my GPU, and even afterwards I have to stop it running in the background with the Task Manager. I read an article about a different game from the devs (I think, anyways) on RPS that gave it decent praise, but I'm not quite convinced enough to try and troubleshoot it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 31, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It's not bad. Most of the general gameplay is similar to Diablo: you move through randomly generated lands and dungeons around your home village and find enemies to kill and loot to acquire. The real meat of the game is in how you go about completing it. There's other covenants besides yourself vying to take over the town and the objective to winning a game is to establish yourself as the strongest, either by wiping out the other covenants through raids or getting strong enough diplomatic ties with them.

The diplomacy part of the game is pretty cool. You can trade different things with other covenants in order to keep relations up such as influence (which you gain by completing quests), crystals (a currency generated via taxes paid to your covenant and are used for special items like guard monsters), or you can trade loot you don't need in exchange for money or other items. Other convents that like you or are trying to get in favor with you will occasionally offer you free items as well.

I'm playing on easy so it probably doesn't happen as much, but on higher difficulties the covenants get more aggressive with trying to assert themselves. Quests that the villagers hand out are first come, first serve for rewards and the same holds true for random adventurers that wander into the village that you have to do a quest for to convince them to join your covenant. There's other adventurers you can find out in the world but there's rarer to come by.

I'd say it's definitely worth the $3.75 while it's still at that price. My computer didn't have a problem running both the demo and full game but I've heard of some other people having issues for whatever reason, so you'll want to make sure you have none of those of course.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Paperhouse posted:

yeah all I meant is it's a Square action RPG with combat that looks pretty good and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ7MwTXYLpg

Supposedly it also has a world map, which I'm looking forward to seeing

Thanks for this I hadnt seen this one yet. Looks like a mash up of KH and ff12 for combat with a little bit of Last Story thrown in for good measure.. Hopefully they give more costuming options than the default because black leather was starting to depress me about 30 seconds into that video, forget having to look at it for an entire game..

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I always broke FFXII early on by going straight for the Quickenings right off the bat. Beating the first Demon Wall in one or two Quickening chains is pretty rad.

Then by the time bosses sort of caught up to the Quickenings' power, I got the Zodiac Spear.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone plan on picking this up tomorrow?

If so give me your opinions. I've been keeping my eye on this one and I'd like some feedback before I sink money into it.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I don't want to ask this in the Xenoblade thread, but how good is the game really? Because there have been so few good JRPGs this generation that I'm seriously considering buying a Wii just for that game (well, and a couple Zeldas and Marios). When it was released people were raving about it, but now that some time has passed has the love for it cooled down?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Not only is it the only console JRPG worth mentioning for the last decade, it's absolutely fantastic at face value. It really is worth the price of admission, and if you've been feeling the drought, Xenoblade fills that hole perfectly. Customization, combat, plot, and exploration are all handed to you on a silver platter, and it deserves all the praise it gets.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I don't want to ask this in the Xenoblade thread, but how good is the game really? Because there have been so few good JRPGs this generation that I'm seriously considering buying a Wii just for that game (well, and a couple Zeldas and Marios). When it was released people were raving about it, but now that some time has passed has the love for it cooled down?

As DOUBLE CLICK HERE, it is pretty fantastic. If plot is not your thing (even though it is simple and presented in fantastic, well-directed cutscenes) the game is very long with lots of sidequests and tons of flavor dialogue which fleshes out the characters and different races. Well worth it.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Douche Bag posted:

Looks like it should be called Lord of the Rings: Wrath of the Witch King :rimshot:

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 31, 2011

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I know I'm late to the game here, but I just got a PSP the other day and as such have a huge backlog of games to play now. I got FFT and Jeanne D'Arc and played each for about an hour or so- FFT feels really clunky but I like the plot, and Jeanne D'Arc is just fantastic in every aspect so far. FFT is also kind of hard to look at because the text is really blurry and it looks like it doesn't run at the PSP's native res, but I'm not sure. What's everyone's thoughts on these two games and what other RPGs should I look for? Not specifically SRPGs, I'm up for pretty much everything. A western RPG or two would be nice as well.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

DeathBySpoon posted:

I know I'm late to the game here, but I just got a PSP the other day and as such have a huge backlog of games to play now. I got FFT and Jeanne D'Arc and played each for about an hour or so- FFT feels really clunky but I like the plot, and Jeanne D'Arc is just fantastic in every aspect so far. FFT is also kind of hard to look at because the text is really blurry and it looks like it doesn't run at the PSP's native res, but I'm not sure. What's everyone's thoughts on these two games and what other RPGs should I look for? Not specifically SRPGs, I'm up for pretty much everything. A western RPG or two would be nice as well.

Cannot recommend Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together enough. Both are quite good and should work well for you.

While I am a fan of FF4, I'm not sure I can recommend the PSP port. The original game is ported over rather well, but I'm not entirely sold on the After Years content. If it's something you wanted to try, though, you could certainly do worse.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

If so give me your opinions. I've been keeping my eye on this one and I'd like some feedback before I sink money into it.

There's a thread for it. If it matters to you, it's made by Snowblind Studios, who did Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath back in the day.

I'm not sure what the most popular platform for it is gonna be but a couple friends and myself have it preordered on PC.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DeathBySpoon posted:

The PSP port of FFT is pretty rough. Generally these days I just emulate it on a PSX emulator at home if I want to play, as there are now patches that apply the PSP translation to the PSX game. In addition there are numerous game changing patches you can apply as well.

Play Jeanne D'Arc first and afterwards play Tactics Ogre. I fear if you do it the other way around you may not enjoy Jeanne D'Arc as much!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

iastudent posted:

There's a thread for it.

:doh:

I'm an idiot. Thanks for the link

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Rascyc posted:

The PSP port of FFT is pretty rough. Generally these days I just emulate it on a PSX emulator at home if I want to play, as there are now patches that apply the PSP translation to the PSX game. In addition there are numerous game changing patches you can apply as well.

Play Jeanne D'Arc first and afterwards play Tactics Ogre. I fear if you do it the other way around you may not enjoy Jeanne D'Arc as much!

Perfect, I didn't know there was a translation patch- I'll play JDA and TO first, and then just play the patched PSX version instead. I'll also check out VP for sure.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Not only is it the only console JRPG worth mentioning for the last decade, it's absolutely fantastic at face value. It really is worth the price of admission, and if you've been feeling the drought, Xenoblade fills that hole perfectly. Customization, combat, plot, and exploration are all handed to you on a silver platter, and it deserves all the praise it gets.

Cool, then. Can't believe it's going to be Xenoblade and not a Zelda game that convinces me to buy a Nintendo console, been with Playstation since the 1st.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I feel the need to mention that I bought Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls on PS3 for $15, via a 400 MB PSN download. Quite worth it so far, and I can't see myself ever picking up Totori again until I'm finished with this. I don't remember the last time I was so eye-bleedingly mesmerized by a game, but then again I suppose I have a bit of an affinity for dungeon crawlers. Obsessively rerolling characters, inventory management, save scumming... oh boy, it's all here!

Wizardry 8 is the only previous Wizardry I've actually played to any significant extent, so my comparisons are based on that. A lot of the more detailed and obsessive characteristics have been simplified for this game. For example, your stats can only go +10 above their base starting stats (making starting race significant to some extent), there are only priest and mage schools of magic, and changing classes simply reverts their level back to 1 but keeps their stats and half of their HP and spell slots.

I want to say that this game seems a bit easier than previous Wizardry games, but I've only played about eight hours, and I'm noticing that it's getting more difficult. I'm still in the newbie dungeon after all that time, mind you. At the very least, starting the game was much easier, whereas in Wizardry 8 you had to hack your way through a few hordes of monsters before you could even get to the first town, and even the drat town was crawling with bad guys.

The character graphics are anime-fied, but it's not in a terribly obnoxious way... although the female voices might get to you. It's all a bit reminiscent of Etrian Odyssey and Dark Spire, actually.

It's certainly worth checking out if you have a thing for dungeon crawlers. Old SA thread for this game that was closed for some reason.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

It was closed due to inactivity.

I still need to try out the DLC dungeons. And don't worry, it will get harder. You'll see.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not sure where else to post this, and since this is only educated speculation at this point, I'm not sure that it'd warrant its own thread.

In any case, it's known that Bioware is apparently releasing a new game at the upcoming VGAS. Another thing to consider is this page for the Ultima game series. What do these have in common?

Scroll to the bottom. Yeah. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Lately, I have been playing Mana Khemia - Student Alliance for the PSP. It has been a rather decent game - how it works is that you are alchemists. You have a grid with skills; everytime you create something related to a character, the spot on the grid becomes unlocked. However, in order to gain the benefits of that slot, you have to earn points in battle to "pay" for the skill.

The story is a bit anime, but I'm still only halfway through. I say if you can get it on the cheap, it's a good time waster.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

DeathBySpoon posted:

Jeanne d'Arc was an immensely charming game with some neat but simple mechanics and some fun stuff to do post game.
Very suprised no one mentioned Persona 3 Portable yet. great game.
Theres always Disgaea 1 &2 if you want to blow hundreds of hours on the SRPG equivalent of making numbers bigger. Theyre hard to get in to quirky but quite satisfying once you get the mechanics down and really start abusing them. 2 is the better game but I usually recommend doing 1 first for the better story and better intro to the Disgaea game mechanics.
Square is dumping all of their backlog onto the PSN these days.
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
I think at this point ALL of the final fantasies up to 9 are available for the psp via psn or at least will be in the very near future. (correct me if Im wrong)
Vagrant Story
Legend of Mana
Theres Star Ocean 1 and 2 if youre so inclined.
Ill stop there for now.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TheOriginalEd posted:

Theres Star Ocean 1 and 2 if youre so inclined.

Star Ocean 2 was amazing. I have fond memories of playing the gently caress out of that :allears:

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent
I loved star ocean 2 too. (I even liked 3 and to a lesser extent 1 and 4) there just seems to be an ...anti star ocean sentiment on these boards at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
So there's an indie RPG currently in development under the name of BroQuest. The trademark of this project seems to be "let's take all these character archetypes and play them relatively straight, only we and the audience are in on the fact that they're archetypes". Suffice it to say they've released drafts of the character designs, previews of the engine as is and a draft of the gameplay mechanics. Let me provide context for my woes:

code:
Combat Basics:
There are three party members in combat in addition to the protagonist.
For a game that supposedly puts focus on the relationship between the main characters and his chosen companions (any or all of the 20+ of them), something about this seems like a huge missed opportunity. Call me out on my ignorance if you want. In fact it'll probably help, since the more devils advocates and second opinions providing constructive discussion the better. But.

Even in this day and age, why do so many RPGs insist on giving you a roster of dozens and then further insist on having all but three or four of them sit the game out? I have these characters, I want to use them. It would be less of a hassle (and less retarded for the plot) if the game dealt me a full hand and said "Sure, you can use all 25 characters you've picked up at once, have fun with that".

Real-time strategy games and Strategy RPGs seem to have this problem slightly more under control (dozens of party members in play, fewer restrictions on movement, ease of management without sacrificing inventory, etc), although with the former you're running into story/unit or unit/growth segregation and with the latter you're still faced with the battle/overworld/plot disconnect. I suppose what I'm looking for is some ultimate end goal, some way of dispensing with the :siren:subjective:siren: archaic elements of the role-playing game without really losing the soul of the role-playing game - character development, player bonding with the party, the story, stat/magic tinkering, etc. As for grinding though...

TL;DR let's brainstorm and analyze ideal/new-age RPG formats for a productive discussion; alternatively let's probate the new guy because he didn't pay for the search function, what a chump; alternatively let's discuss BroQuest why not why not