Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

I said come in! posted:

Fujimi Kaido is better than any rally stage in every rally sim from the last 5 years. Really awesome 10 minute run to take through and very scenic.

Amalfi Coast was better :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

I said come in! posted:

I ended up selling a whole bunch of cars. In the end, I wasted a ton of credits that could have gone towards the more expensive exotics and race cars that I wanted, but my sanity will thank me. Also I don't qualify anymore for a lot of races on the events list, but i'll worry about that when I get there. I can just buy a car again and then sell it afterwards.

You can also make your own custom groups, but gently caress that. :effort:

Custom groups is key for online races. Let's see, first make 6 groups:

code:
A
B
C
D
E
F
Then if you have 3 E cars for eg, one for tight twisty tracks (stage 3 weight reduction, stage 1 turbo), a medium one, (stage 1 weight reduction, stage 1 turbo) and one for tracks with mostly long straights. (stage 3 turbo, stage 1 weight reduction)

So that's 2 to 3 cars per class, so about 12 to 18 cars, then another group called Spec Races, like the Datsun 510 spec...

Then if you come across a race that has rules such as FWD, 4WD, or RWD only etc you'll need to tripple the cars to 36 to 54, then you'll want to make a turbo version of everything and an NA version of everything, so double it again to 72 to 108 cars for a well stocked garage.

And you'll need a unique paintjob on each of em.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
A600 is a very poor class if you ask me. Lotus Exige 06 dominates the leaderboards, for instance the first 1200+ cars on Mugello full are all Exiges with the occasional NSX and 355 Challenge in there. Lightweight mid engine cars very much rule the roost compared to the lower classes with exception of the glitch viper swap cars where just about anything can be competitive. Heck, even S700 has a varied number of compeititive cars apart from the Evora T124.

C and B classes are the best for sure.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
we can group cars?!?! :aaa:

I wish I'd have known about this sooner, no matter how clunky and slow it is, I'm gonna re-catagorise all my cars. Honestly all I want is to be able to separate my cars into finished/tuned/painted/stock folders so that I know which ones I've gotten trackworthy or not. The reward cars now completley screw me up because it auto-upgrades which makes me think I've sorted it.

AND ANOTHER THING as much as I love this game, I'm kinda pissed at career mode. I'm 99% certain we were told that "you pick the car and the season mode picks the track". That to me said that it would let us chose which class or hell even which car we want to race in. But thats not the case, career mode made me skip C-class almost entirley and now its trying to shoehorn me into doing R class races when a minute ago I was in A/B.

Several times I've not even had a car that qualifies for any of the races it gives me and I've had to go out and buy/tune just to get the race over with.

The AI is crap too, I'm not the best driver, but I always win. Only time I've come 2nd/3rd is in manufacturer races where there is a specific model thats much faster than my own.

Usually I'm first by the end of lap 1 and stay that way the entire race without issues. Theres just no challange in it. Oh and why is simulation damage always forced off in career? Its just so contradictory, it forces me into higher classes of racing, but only allows cosmetic damage.

Its still incredible fun and I'm having a real blast, but theres quite a few niggles about world tour that kinda sour it for me :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

And you'll need a unique paintjob on each of em.

Not me.. I have a system for coloring my cars.

Grey = poo poo award car that I should get rid of, but holding on to it for single player races.
Black = award car that I haven't decided if I like it or put effort into upgrading
Red = this car is awesome and I love driving it
Stained glass = used for a scheduled spec race

This way I can quickly flip through my garage and find a suitable car.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Falken posted:

A600 is a very poor class if you ask me. Lotus Exige 06 dominates the leaderboards, for instance the first 1200+ cars on Mugello full are all Exiges with the occasional NSX and 355 Challenge in there. Lightweight mid engine cars very much rule the roost compared to the lower classes with exception of the glitch viper swap cars where just about anything can be competitive. Heck, even S700 has a varied number of compeititive cars apart from the Evora T124.

C and B classes are the best for sure.

It's really a shame, because A class to me is the ideal class - fast, but not so much that any mistake is an instant crash. I also guess I'll accept Lotus domination over S5 domination; at least the Exige is kinda hard to drive really, really well. It's also tiny, so while you had poopsockers in their behemoth S5's smashing you without needing to worry in Forza 3 in the event that you were winning (because people get really mad when they are getting beat in their leaderboard car), they can't really do that in 4 because the Exige is a very poor battering ram.

I do agree that C and B are probably the best balanced, though. I just hope I can make my Bel Air work in B or C class, because it's sadly useless in A class for anything but looking sexy and rolling over even easier than a Hummer.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Captain Hair posted:

AND ANOTHER THING as much as I love this game, I'm kinda pissed at career mode. I'm 99% certain we were told that "you pick the car and the season mode picks the track".

Yeah they promised that for sure and it's not even close to reality. I want to drive shitbox Hondas until level 150 :argh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sunday Punch posted:

Amalfi Coast was better :smith:

That's the longer version of Rally Di Positano right? Everyone says they are sad that Turn-10 left it out. :(

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

That's the longer version of Rally Di Positano right? Everyone says they are sad that Turn-10 left it out. :(

Well, I'm definitely not sad they left it out. Then again I also hate Fujimi and would rather they kept New loving York than that track, so my opinion probably means nothing.

(but seriously, gently caress tracks that are long and boring for the sake of being long and boring).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

Well, I'm definitely not sad they left it out. Then again I also hate Fujimi and would rather they kept New loving York than that track, so my opinion probably means nothing.

(but seriously, gently caress tracks that are long and boring for the sake of being long and boring).

No way, long tracks are great and they didn't shove it into every race in the career mode, so that's not a bad thing either.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Captain Hair posted:

we can group cars?!?! :aaa:

I wish I'd have known about this sooner, no matter how clunky and slow it is, I'm gonna re-catagorise all my cars. Honestly all I want is to be able to separate my cars into finished/tuned/painted/stock folders so that I know which ones I've gotten trackworthy or not. The reward cars now completley screw me up because it auto-upgrades which makes me think I've sorted it.

AND ANOTHER THING as much as I love this game, I'm kinda pissed at career mode. I'm 99% certain we were told that "you pick the car and the season mode picks the track". That to me said that it would let us chose which class or hell even which car we want to race in. But thats not the case, career mode made me skip C-class almost entirley and now its trying to shoehorn me into doing R class races when a minute ago I was in A/B.

Several times I've not even had a car that qualifies for any of the races it gives me and I've had to go out and buy/tune just to get the race over with.

The AI is crap too, I'm not the best driver, but I always win. Only time I've come 2nd/3rd is in manufacturer races where there is a specific model thats much faster than my own.

Usually I'm first by the end of lap 1 and stay that way the entire race without issues. Theres just no challange in it. Oh and why is simulation damage always forced off in career? Its just so contradictory, it forces me into higher classes of racing, but only allows cosmetic damage.

Its still incredible fun and I'm having a real blast, but theres quite a few niggles about world tour that kinda sour it for me :(

I agree with you about world tour not being as open as they had said. It's still much improved over last time. I've definitely been using full simulation damage for my whole world tour, though. I've hosed up my engine a few times, and my aero a lot of times. You should check your difficulty settings under my profile. If you want better AI, race in the event list where you can manually set their difficulty. I agree that the ai in world tour is balanced to be really easy. Forcing them to professional in the event list makes it somewhat harder.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
No music video this time, sorry.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
There needs to be a way to capture Leslie Nielsen's narration visually for that livery.

ElvisG
Aug 18, 2004
Does anyone who is active in any of the clubs have a justin.tv account? I am not in any of the clubs but I would like to watch some of the races.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

ElvisG posted:

Does anyone who is active in any of the clubs have a justin.tv account? I am not in any of the clubs but I would like to watch some of the races.

I dont stream every often but I put most of the SAEG races I'm in here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0AB895701BA2A96

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLamU3-gTM&hd=1

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Day Man posted:

I've definitely been using full simulation damage for my whole world tour, though.

If you want better AI, race in the event list where you can manually set their difficulty.

Oh really? Sweet, I'll go check those later then, playing with damage off always bugged me.

And yeah, you can go into events list. But then I feel sad for not playing World Tour mode and missing out on bonus money/XP (unless you get bonuses in event list too?).

I wonder if tuning my cars to be 50pi or so less would help makes races closer. Still though, the pack spreads out kinda thin in longer races so it'd still be me Vs only 2 other drivers. I havn't actually even looked at event list, so I'll have a look at it and see what its like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Captain Hair posted:

I wonder if tuning my cars to be 50pi or so less would help makes races closer. Still though, the pack spreads out kinda thin in longer races so it'd still be me Vs only 2 other drivers. I havn't actually even looked at event list, so I'll have a look at it and see what its like.

Yes, it does. This is how I forced a challenge in previous Forza games.. not only did it mean you have to drive better to win, but it started you near the back of the grid (which it does all the time in FM4, so that reason is gone).

In the most extreme cases, I would set up a race with easy AI and max my car out a full class lower.. it made for some really fun races.

Also note you can host multiplayer games with up to 12 AI cars, giving you even greater control over what the AI does (you can pick their car for them, set vehicle restrictions, and set difficulty).

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I for one am definitely down for some hour plus Enduros. (though technically an hour is a sprint race. 3hr+ is an enduro, though I doubt that anyone besides me is spergy enough to enjoy a 3hr enduro.)

Also, sign me up for some C class Z racing. I have my car painted up, and tuned up.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Sunday Punch posted:

No music video this time, sorry.

Awesome Livery (and taste), sir.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

No way, long tracks are great and they didn't shove it into every race in the career mode, so that's not a bad thing either.

Long tracks are fantastic if they're done well; Nurburgring is one of my favorite tracks in the game. But Fujimi is just boring. No speed, every corner is the same exact thing, almost no 'on the edge' areas, no sense of flow at all, it's just a terrible, unfun track. The only part of the entire track I enjoy is going downhill through those two tunnels, because you CAN take them fast but if you gently caress up, then you're totally screwed. On the other hand, the 'ring has like two dozen corners with the same risk(and many other tracks also have one/several 'oh poo poo' sections), and one single good section doesn't make a track for me, especially one that's so long and is otherwise a complete drag. These same problems existed with Amalfi too, so good riddance. poo poo's worse than Complex String.

I guess I just never understood the fun in taking a million hairpins at 30 MPH.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I guess I just never understood the fun in taking a million hairpins at 30 MPH.

You're not the only one. I love the 'Ring. Fujimi (and old full Positono) I could handle in small doses in medium to lower class cars. Anything more than that and I just find them tedious and uninteresting.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Rally di Positano was a great track for C and D class cars and it sucks they took it out. Hope it comes back in DLC.

I'm in year 5 of world tour and I have yet to race a full lap of the 'Ring or Fujimi in career mode, which annoys me. Oh good it's another 2 lap race of Tsukuba!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ether Frenzy posted:

Rally di Positano was a great track for C and D class cars and it sucks they took it out. Hope it comes back in DLC.

I'm in year 5 of world tour and I have yet to race a full lap of the 'Ring or Fujimi in career mode, which annoys me. Oh good it's another 2 lap race of Tsukuba!

Fujimi appears once in the full config, I think, and the Ring also appears once, kinda as the 'Final Boss' of the game in one of those two-heat championship dealies to wrap up Season 10. Also, the Ring isn't in the event list at all, which boggles my loving mind and is one of the biggest complaints I have with the single player (right up there with 'WHERE THE gently caress DID MY ENDURANCE RACES GO YOU COCKEATERS!?).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

There isn't a full ring race from what i've seen on the event list. I'm 29% into the event list and i'm starting to get tired of it and doing tracks over and over again that I don't like. So i've moved onto multiplayer now and that is way more fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I said come in! posted:

There isn't a full ring race from what i've seen on the event list. I'm 29% into the event list and i'm starting to get tired of it and doing tracks over and over again that I don't like. So i've moved onto multiplayer now and that is way more fun.

I've been systematically finding events on the list that I hate and doing them first. That way, when I feel like relaxing and finishing the rest of the event list in the future, I don't have to worry about racing Hockenheim/Motegi/Silverstone/Fujimi/those bowling and slalom bullshits that suck and are terrible.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
But Hockenheim owns?

DCharger70
Jun 4, 2003
I'd love an invite to GISH if there's room. GT is DCharger70

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, I've been doing singleplayer Multiplayer races for the majority of the last two games anyhow, it's freaking awesome how you can just set up exactly the race you want with exactly the conditions you want and still get XP/credits commensurate with your time invested/risks taken. At least 3 had some 'Ring specific racing in the event list though.

It's just disappointing that they leave out The Greatest Racing Road (....in the World) in career mode because some S5 Leaderboard Bros don't like WASTING 8 whole minutes on a race!!!!

The livery unlocking is really unfortunate because I know given how much time I've spent on my 200 layer basic liveries, I can only imagine how gutted people who've spent days/weeks on extremely impressive designs must feel, and it's dead easy to do and requires no skill at all to "hack" this flaw.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ANAmal.net posted:

But Hockenheim owns?

Hockenheim is okay, it's not at the top of the list of tracks I would race on though if given a choice. I wish FM4 had Spa, Monza and Imola instead for European tracks.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Fujimi seems to be best for messing around in drift.
Nurburgring is for the touring car enthusiest.
Alfami Coast was for the rally enthusiest.

I love the ring personally, and enjoyed the rally race, though I am kinda neutral on Fujimi. I am so sick of everyone racing it with R1 cars for shits and giggles.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ANAmal.net posted:

But Hockenheim owns?

It shares the same problems as Motegi (flat with nothing but low-speed turns). If you were talking about old Hockenheim I'd agree, though.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

I said come in! posted:

Hockenheim is okay, it's not at the top of the list of tracks I would race on though if given a choice. I wish FM4 had Spa, Monza and Imola instead for European tracks.

Would have killed them to shitcan Sunset Peninsula and replace it with Spa? Also, what's with the old Silverstone? I wanted the new track layout not this one, it's a year out of date now.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The worst thing is they have races that hit a segment of Fujimi or the Ring, but not the whole thing. My favorite events in Forza 3 were the lap days or whatever, that were just one giant lap of the three long courses, it sucks that they don't have those anymore. The one-on-one Fujimi races with traffic are pretty cool, but I miss doing the full track.

I said come in! posted:

That's fair. I don't know why, but I really like Hockenheim. That one and Infineon are easily my two favorite new tracks, and among my favorites overall. Indy can go gently caress itself though.

It shares the same problems as Motegi (flat with nothing but low-speed turns). If you were talking about old Hockenheim I'd agree, though.

Agreed on Motegi. Someone, maybe you, described that one as being "drag strip, hairpin, repeat", which is a lot of why it sucks. Hockenheim definitely has the flatness, which is also what I hate about Indy (and, going the other way, why I like Infineon so much), but I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as Motegi. Though that's obviously just personal preference, and I can't really explain the reasoning behind it.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 2, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'd say Hockenheim is more like a German Silverstone. Except I like Hockenheim.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ANAmal.net posted:

That one and Infineon are easily my two favorite new tracks, and among my favorites overall. Indy can go gently caress itself though.

Infineon owns bones, but so does Indianapolis. I was all prepared to hate the Indy GP track, but it's actually really fun to drive. And Turn 1 is almost always hilarious, so it has comedy value, too!

ANAmal.net posted:

Agreed on Motegi. Someone, maybe you, described that one as being "drag strip, hairpin, repeat", which is a lot of why it sucks.

It was me. I loving loathe Motegi more than any other track. Hated it since it first reared its ugly head in Gran Turismo, and never understood how a track that even real-life drivers dislike could find itself in so many racing games.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 2, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was me. I loving loathe Motegi more than any other track. Hated it since it first reared its ugly head in Gran Turismo, and never understood how a track that even real-life drivers dislike could find itself in so many racing games.

Pushy marketing department. I'm pretty sure that's why Tsukuba shows up all over the place too. How that thing qualifies as a race track has always mystified me.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

the first ~*man tide*~ has sold for a cool 3,383,000cr; thank you [SAEG]Cute as heck; you own ltd.ed. #1/5

another is on the market now; one more for the next three days :rice:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If we ever get track DLC (sounding very unlikely though) I want Spa, Virginia International, Bathurst, and Mid-Ohio.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Yes we nyan and I have had many a close, exciting race at Motegi. Not the full one, but the one that is 3/4 of the track, very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

Yes we nyan and I have had many a close, exciting race at Motegi. Not the full one, but the one that is 3/4 of the track, very fun.

I really like Motegi. The Japanese tracks we got are all great.

• Locked thread