Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hockenheim is great fun with F-class cars. I can take a few of the corners without even lifting the throttle! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Cannot Find Server posted:

Long tracks are fantastic if they're done well; Nurburgring is one of my favorite tracks in the game. But Fujimi is just boring. No speed, every corner is the same exact thing, almost no 'on the edge' areas, no sense of flow at all, it's just a terrible, unfun track. The only part of the entire track I enjoy is going downhill through those two tunnels, because you CAN take them fast but if you gently caress up, then you're totally screwed. On the other hand, the 'ring has like two dozen corners with the same risk(and many other tracks also have one/several 'oh poo poo' sections), and one single good section doesn't make a track for me, especially one that's so long and is otherwise a complete drag. These same problems existed with Amalfi too, so good riddance. poo poo's worse than Complex String.

I guess I just never understood the fun in taking a million hairpins at 30 MPH.

The fun is when everyone's cars are F class and taking corners at 30mph is a hair-raising challenge. :)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sunday Punch posted:

No music video this time, sorry.

OH MY GOD this is awesome

great now i've got don't fear the reaper stuck in my head

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 2, 2011

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Sunday Punch posted:

No music video this time, sorry.

That's loving awesome.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Please invite me to race next time you guys put something together. Gamertag: [GISH] MachineSparrow. I'm so tired of pubbies playing bumper cars. Apparently in racing any chance what so ever you have to spin the car in front of you, you take it. SCCA doesn't know dick.

It just sucks because I will lose a race so long as all of my passes were clean and professional. I appear to be almost alone on this...

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Well, I'm definitely not sad they left it out. Then again I also hate Fujimi and would rather they kept New loving York than that track, so my opinion probably means nothing.

(but seriously, gently caress tracks that are long and boring for the sake of being long and boring).

I like New York in bursts, but it would always be in career mode a thousands times. Toward the end, you'd either have F-class doing 3,000 laps around the bare straits where anything with a good top speed wins, or R1 having to negotiate all the chicanes for 30 where one missed entry meant a totaled car. It wasn't challenging after a while, it was just annoying.

I guess I just never understood the fun in taking a million hairpins at 30 MPH.

To be fair Fujimi exists for drifting. It can also be fairly fun if you do a rally setup. Take your favorite Fort SVT or whatever, upgrade it all the way, lower the gear ratios, fight up the hill and then experience the sheer terror once you manage to do a decent job of stringing the downhill bits together. Try to balance charging downhill like a maniac and keeping your tires in the green.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I didn't even realize that there was a Forza 4 thread because I'm a huge loving idiot. I added my info to the spreadsheet. If anyone wants to add me and get together for some races, I'm usually available on the weekends.

Anybody here into Spec Miata or Historic Trans-Am stuff?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Pushy marketing department. I'm pretty sure that's why Tsukuba shows up all over the place too. How that thing qualifies as a race track has always mystified me.

It's not bad, and I'm actually a fan of tuning cars there. It's short and technical, and if your a fan of Japanese time attacks or Best Motoring/Hot Version you can't help but enjoy it from time to time.

EDIT: Has anyone else had a good amount of freezing in multiplayer load screens? Seems to happen regularly and even requires a restart of the 360 as I cant even go back to dashboard. Theres a good chance I'm just getting ready to red ring, but just making sure this isn't a common problem.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 2, 2011

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

If we ever get track DLC (sounding very unlikely though) I want Spa, Virginia International, Bathurst, and Mid-Ohio.

I'm down for Bathurst, Albert Park, Watkins Glen, and Barbagallo. Oh god yes please.

Also we need a Reliant Robin, Original Mini, Jensen Interceptor, and FSO Polonez in some DLC's.

Also a modern F1 car, nothing special, like a 2010 Williams maybe? Oh and a ma'loving Aussie Racing Cars car. God drat that'd own.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

If anyone from [LLJK] sees Elmnt 80's application, I can vouch for him. He's raced with us before and he's good people, I told him to try and apply once we got a free spot. I'd appreciate it if someone could let him in :3:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

I said come in! posted:

If we ever get track DLC (sounding very unlikely though) I want Spa, Virginia International, Bathurst, and Mid-Ohio.
We got some minor track DLC in Forza 3. I'd be surprised if we don't see some of it in Forza 4.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I predict it won't be a new track.. it'll probably be a rehash of a track from previous games (well, except FM1, which had a bunch of great tracks that have been ignored ever since).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

xzzy posted:

I predict it won't be a new track.. it'll probably be a rehash of a track from previous games (well, except FM1, which had a bunch of great tracks that have been ignored ever since).

I don't see them bringing back any cut tracks, at least ones cut from 3 to 4. Most people didn't like New York or Sidewinder, and few liked Positano. Forza 2 had Motegi (UGH) as a brand new download and 3 had Nurburgring GP so we'll likely get a new real-world track. With any luck, we'll get Spa or something, but it'll more than likely end up as something like Valencia (I will literally kill myself if this happens).

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Shogunner posted:

Also a modern F1 car, nothing special, like a 2010 Williams maybe?

Shut up bender. You're only saying that because it's in that silly iRacing game you play. If they are going to do an F1 car then they'd have to do a "proper" one like a McLaren or RBR.

But what would it race against? You'd have to have a spec series for it then you'd need different F1 cars with varying levels of speed etc to make it interesting. The F1 car in GT5 was OK but a bit pointless because it was very limited

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Ferrari is the most likely F1 car to make it into Forza.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So I'm in the shop tweaking my GT-R, and I went into Aero, under bumper and there's a few different options now, is this new? Or is it only for certain cars? They had different options for wings and rear bumpers and side skirts as well.

Two more questions,

Why can't I upgrade to race brakes on the GT-R? There's no brakes option under Platform & Handling?

How do I use a paint design I've bought off the storefront on my car?

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Brace posted:

So I'm in the shop tweaking my GT-R, and I went into Aero, under bumper and there's a few different options now, is this new? Or is it only for certain cars? They had different options for wings and rear bumpers and side skirts as well.

Two more questions,

Why can't I upgrade to race brakes on the GT-R? There's no brakes option under Platform & Handling?

How do I use a paint design I've bought off the storefront on my car?

Sometimes cars have different options for body parts. Hoods, sideskirts, with/without bumpers, etc.

Because it probably already has adjustable brakes (stock).

Go to 'paint', then 'my designs' or something like that and load the design. full liveries are car-specific though. that anime rape clown you got for the new beetle won't work on a golf.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

An F1 car in Forza makes sense since you can paint it to be whatever you want, unlike GT5. The differences between F1 cars isn't huge like a normal car. Hell, they could do Indy cars since they have a spec chassis and all look the same anyway.

Or just do what GT5 did, they have an unlicensed open-wheeled car called the Formula Gran Turismo.

Imagine racing historic F1/Indy cars before the dawn of aerodynamic shenanigans :awesome:

edit: VVVVV SHIIIIIIT, why do they have to ruin my dream by gimping their physics?!!!

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 2, 2011

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
My wireless speed wheel came in the mail today, and so far I'm a little mixed about it.

The triggers on it work great like I've heard and the wheel itself is easy to use and a lot more responsive than I expected.

No bumpers, and that messes up a lot more menus than I expected. Hope that's something T10 can change with a patch.

No headset port, so can't use my turtlebeaches as a mic when racing online anymore, unless I use a regular controller. Any places for a cheap wireless 360 mic?

I'll add more later, but overall it's better than I expected and minor complaints I have are easily covered up by 50% off price I paid for the wheel.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
Is there any way of finding out how much downforce the stock aero for a given car is producing?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I saw three Robin Reliants today. God bless the North West of England. They're actually a lot lower than I remembered, I'd love to see one in Forza.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Turn 10 has to actually physically model suspension first, and that's not going to happen in this game. Even though it seems like the auto vista cars do have physically modeled suspension.

Also, wasn't the 70s or something the scariest F1 cars, since they were so powerful and didn't have much for aero.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately the Forza engine does not support open-wheel cars (specifically, it has no code for animating suspension articulation), so F1 won't be showing up in this iteration.

People have been asking for it since day one, but it hasn't materialized, so clearly it's not a priority.

e:f;b

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Turn 10 has to actually physically model suspension first, and that's not going to happen in this game. Even though it seems like the auto vista cars do have physically modeled suspension.

Also, wasn't the 70s or something the scariest F1 cars, since they were so powerful and didn't have much for aero.

Something like that. Between the 50s and 70s were pretty bad for racing safety and it didn't help that a lot of manufacturers didn't care for the safety of their drivers.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Jarf posted:

I saw three Robin Reliants today. God bless the North West of England. They're actually a lot lower than I remembered, I'd love to see one in Forza.

We need a Bond Bug as well for a three-wheeler trophy.

I always remember one parked up the road as a kid, it was a 'sporty' version of the Robin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bond_Bug

F100

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
When one is trying to spec a car out of it's class, what are the good upgrades to take to bump the car up by quite a few points? Weight Reduction and Race Tire Compound?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brace posted:

When one is trying to spec a car out of it's class, what are the good upgrades to take to bump the car up by quite a few points? Weight Reduction and Race Tire Compound?

Those are the easy ones.

Camshaft upgrades are probably the most expensive engine upgrade in terms of PI. Aspiration conversions or turbo upgrades ratchet a car up quickly as well.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
What do you guys see as crucial race upgrades aside from Brakes(when available((because they're not on the GTR for some reason)) and Clutch/Springs?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Giant chrome rims.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Brace posted:

What do you guys see as crucial race upgrades aside from Brakes(when available((because they're not on the GTR for some reason)) and Clutch/Springs?

Anything that lets you adjust a parameter in the tuning menu is useful assuming you know how to tune. That said, I rarely have room to buy power upgrades because of this.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm going for 100% achievements, and right now i'm working on doing all the events. There's easily over 100 hours of racing here. I'm hiring a driver most of the time though.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

xzzy posted:

Man I miss Rio and Tokyo.

OK, who is up for a 2.5 hour race on Old Mulsanne?

Only rules are 650PI, car must be RWD and from the 50s. Qualifying will be a single lap around TGTT with no contact and a 5 second roll-off between cars.

Race will be held on Saturday Nov 13th at 6pm EDT/3pm PDT/10pm GMT.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 4, 2011

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kilonum posted:

Man I miss Rio and Tokyo

Alpine Ring. :allears:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Athanatos posted:

I dont stream every often but I put most of the SAEG races I'm in here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0AB895701BA2A96

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijLamU3-gTM&hd=1

Saw my Volvo being used from the GTCC garage in that video, voted 5.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Cojawfee posted:

The BBC show "Grand Prix - The Killer Years" might interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlkYMTi7hg

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Brace posted:

Depends a lot on the car and also on the track you're tuning for. Generally I try to get the upgrades that unlock setup options, which means Race Suspension, Anti-Roll Bars and at least Sport Transmission if possible (not only for shift times; adjust final drive for the top speed of the track - if the car can go faster than the track allows you just wasted acceleration potential). The next best tyre compound is also in most cases a good idea, with maybe the exception of the Race one, as it adds too much PI more often than not. Brakes is the first thing I'd sacrifice if it comes down to it, tbh. In most cars the stock brakes are able to lock up the wheels, so more "efficient" brakes won't help you stop faster, as the tyres are the limiting factor in that case.

Whether to concentrate on power or handling depends on the car. Sports cars mostly already have a balanced package, in which case adding only more power would just make driving fast excessively difficult, whereas normal street cars are most of the time underpowered and in desperate need of more oomph before better handling would start showing benefits. The track is also a deciding factor here; obviously fast tracks favour power/top speed whereas short/slow/twisty tracks gain more from lighter, better handling cars. A simple test drive will tell you more than any amount of theorycrafting here, though. If you struggle keeping the car straight and fly off every other corner then obviously more power is not the way to go.

Though one piece of advice, it's also important to have some knowledge about suspension tuning before applying the suspension and ARB upgrades, as the default setup values aren't necessarily good and can easily make a previously nicely handling car drive like rear end. A car setup tool/spreadsheet can help, but doesn't guarantee a better-than-stock drivable car either. Better keep the car stock and predictable than unlocking options you don't know what to do with anyway.

:words:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Oldstench posted:

The BBC show "Grand Prix - The Killer Years" might interest you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grlkYMTi7hg

That was amazing, thanks for posting.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Kilonum posted:

Man I miss Rio and Tokyo.

OK, who is up for a 2.5 hour race on Old Mulsanne?

Only rules are 650PI, car must be RWD and from the 50s. Qualifying will be a single lap around TGTT with no contact and a 5 second roll-off between cars.

Race will be held on Saturday at 6pm EDT/3pm PDT/10pm GMT.

Tried playing around with this. I don't have the cash for the cool cars yet and the Gullwing can only be tuned up to around 618 with a stock engine. I don't think I could be competitive regardless, but if you have a slot open I'd like to try for distance anyway.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

You can toss in different engines, hell the Bel Air won't even leave A class without a new engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Cojawfee posted:

I believe I read somewhere that Turn 10 captured all the cars in the same resolution as the Auto Vista cars, for the day when it would be possible to model them in that amount of detail in game time. That's part of the problem they had finding pristine cars for capture and why not all of the winning Forzalopnik pack cars made it in to the final release.

So, the suspension is "modeled" and captured, but they aren't drawing it or animating it in game because currently, there's no real reason to do it and it spares precious processor time for things like 16 players.

1958, 1960, 1961, and 1970 were the deadliest years of F1, with three drivers killed in each season and four in 1958. However, it's really the late 1960's and specifically the 1967 where people feel that things got especially dangerous.

Rule changes in 1967 meant that cars were suddenly very powerful (400+ HP in 400 pound race cars) with absolutely no aerodynamic aids and tire technology that absolutely sucked. It was not uncommon at this time to run an entire season on one set of tires -- that's how not sticky they were. Combine all that together and you have cars that are very difficult and very dangerous to drive. At least most of the cars had disc brakes.

• Locked thread