Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Category Fun! posted:

I assume you didn't change any of the keybinds, so I've not heard of that bug before. Gosh, I really should get the PC version! Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm pretty sure that the "it says F but actually locks with space" issue only happens if you've changed your keybinds.

I've never had the "it moves one to the left" issue, though. What's your space bound to, if anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

spe posted:

This game is fun and my dude is beardy, lining up pistol crits from behind cover is fun and powerful as hell.

How come I should've avoided Recruit on 1st playthrough? I'm not having any trouble and next time I get a veteran!

Recruit exacerbates some aspects of the game that can become barriers to new people getting into it.

If you figured out how to use pistols right, you will probably not face these issues.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

X_Toad posted:

I think it was Comte de Saint-Germain who mentioned it here. More precisely, he said that the decision to do a sequel wasn't in Sega's hands, when Sega said that there wouldn't be a continuation of the series.

Yeah that was me what said it, and I think that there was a confirmation from Feargus in an interview as well.

Who knows? Chris is in a better position to know than I am, but it contradicts everything else I've heard.

Adimeadozen
Apr 6, 2004
Not That Guy
Just for the hell of it I jumped back into this game after beating it numerous times, the gimmick of my playthrough has been "Mood Swing" Thornton, running every dialogue like this:
1st response is Professional, then alternate Suave and Aggressive until talking stops, it's working hilariously, especially Grigori.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Doc Hawkins posted:

If you figured out how to use pistols right

Or: if you figured out how to stay behind cover and aim for everyone's head

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!
I picked this game up during the summer steam sale, and have been looking forward to it after reading this thread.

Unfortunately, after installing it, and trying to enable the 360 controller in the settings menu, the menu is now broken and none of the buttons work, even after reinstall.

So I guess my experience with AP was that it's literally unplayable.

Oh well.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Computer Opponent posted:

I picked this game up during the summer steam sale, and have been looking forward to it after reading this thread.

Unfortunately, after installing it, and trying to enable the 360 controller in the settings menu, the menu is now broken and none of the buttons work, even after reinstall.

So I guess my experience with AP was that it's literally unplayable.

Oh well.

Once you enable the X360 controller the mouse stops working I think. You should be able to move around with the controller though if it's plugged in properly.

Computer Opponent
Nov 29, 2002

Nothing's gonna ever keep ya down!

Scorchy posted:

Once you enable the X360 controller the mouse stops working I think. You should be able to move around with the controller though if it's plugged in properly.

I wish that were the case :(

The controller is unresponsive. I can still use the mouse, but it doesn't register clicks on any of the menu buttons.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I'm on my second play through focused on SMGs, Tech Adept, Toughness and Martial Arts.

It's WAY more fun than a stealth-pistol run, at least for me. Before I had to worry about whether or not I was setting off alarms because if people knew I was there I was screwed. Now I'm just running around activating skills and dropping people. I haven't even bothered upgrading my awareness on the stealth tree because it doesn't matter what direction someone is facing, if I'm surprised by someone I just activate Fury or Bullet Storm, problem solved.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Whenever I play this game again, and I know I should probably play it again soon, I'm gonna do a "random" playthrough. Just pick every single speech option at complete random and see what happens. I believe this would be incredibly entertaining.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Someone in the last thread played through the whole game bugged, without even realizing you were supposed to be able to see the different options. Could you trigger whatever they did on purpose?

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Or: if you figured out how to stay behind cover and aim for everyone's head

That's what I said. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Doc Hawkins posted:

Someone in the last thread played through the whole game bugged, without even realizing you were supposed to be able to see the different options. Could you trigger whatever they did on purpose?

That's what I said. :v:
I think it had something to do with Anti-Aliasing or forcing Anti-Aliasing. Not completely sure on that though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I believe you can by changing something in the .ini files. Anyone want to experiment? That would actually be a ton of fun.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Insert name here posted:

I think it had something to do with Anti-Aliasing or forcing Anti-Aliasing. Not completely sure on that though.

It's in the OP...

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I mean, once you've played through once you'd pretty much know exactly what all the options are, with the possible exception of when to select the A actions.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up

Riven posted:

if people knew I was there I was screwed.

I've put every point I've got into pistols and stealth and even if the alarms go off I can one-shot everything.

Also this game is making me hella mad, why does it have to block off the level once you hit a checkpoint? I can't explore at all.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I have beaten Alpha Protocol something like ten times now, and yet I just got a scene I didn't even know existed.

I'd done Agent of Change once before, and gotten the scene where Leland begs Marburg to save him from you and Marburg just goes 'Hrm' and leaves, but this time, when I got to the final conversation, I opted to just shoot Leland, and then Marburg and Thorton had a conversation about what had just happened and decided to go their separate ways, complete with a really nice line to close the game out about how being presumed dead can be 'liberating'.

This loving game :psyduck:

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
This time I put lots of points into Tech and (very small Taipei spoiler) Mike decodes Deng's flash drive instead of Mina. I thought that was a nice touch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Yeah, analogous things happen if you boost Martial Arts.

I don't think there are any other skills that effect things. It would rule if there were, but I don't remember anyone ever reporting any besides those two.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

High tech ability also allows you to fool Albatross into believing you wiped the network bugs in Taipei, giving you the benefits of both either / or choices.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

thepopstalinist posted:

High tech ability also allows you to fool Albatross into believing you wiped the network bugs in Taipei, giving you the benefits of both either / or choices.

So does having acted completely professional with him and then bluffing.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Or just bugging all six of the terminals.

embitca
May 4, 2009
I finished up my playthrough of Deux EX HR a few days ago and the entire time I was wishing that it were more like Alpha Protocol. I wasn't going to mention it because I figured I was just being dumb, but then I get here and there's 20 pages or so saying the same thing. :munch: Awesome. I fear this game has ruined me for a lot of other games.

I'm going to start up a fourth run through, this time SMGs maybe. I tried shotguns the last time and ended up respeccing to pistols again after Saudi Arabia because I just find the shotgun so annoyingly unrealistic and yes the pistol is of course completely unrealistic too, but in a much more fun way.

So what I'm wondering is, has anyone completely skipped the Graybox training missions at all? I find it the most tedious part of the game, but I always do them for the perks and AP, but I'm thinking I might just blow them off this time and see what Westridge has to say about that :D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So I picked up AP during the recent $2 sale and have put a few hours into the game now - at first it felt clunky and unintuitive to me and was frankly quite frustrating to play, but the more I play, the more I want to play and the more enjoyable the game has become. I have enjoyed the way things I do play into how things progress (though I'll probably need a second playthrough to truly appreciate the differences), but just recently I've encountered a couple of things that have made me wonder if something bugged out or I'm misinterpreting particular game mechanics.

When I was in Moscow (after doing Taipei and before Rome), there was a mission where Thorton has to sneak into the US Embassy to intercept Surkov and you're told to be careful of the staff. I made a point of sneaking in and not being detected, and only attacking the VCI guys who attack the Embassy and even then, only using non-lethal martial arts or tranquilizer darts. Once the mission was over, the mission debriefing screen mentioned the dramatic loss of civilian life that I was responsible for and I then received a message from Albatross complaining about how I'd barreled right up to the front door without any subtlety and started killing everybody in sight - did I do something wrong to cause this? Am I held responsible for people who are killed by OTHER characters? Or was this just a bug? I've played the same way in other missions and been lauded for my care in protecting civilians.

Also when I got to Rome and sat down for my chat with Marburg was when the game became it's most enjoyable for me, goddamn that was a great segment of the game :allears: - I loved being able to verbally battle with him and gain his respect, and I felt that the dossier I'd prepared on him beforehand really did make a big difference in being able to read his mood/anticipate his reactions and play along accordingly. This game COULD have been something really special, not that it's not enjoyable as it is, I just feel it could have been so much more.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Jerusalem posted:

did I do something wrong to cause this? Am I held responsible for people who are killed by OTHER characters? Or was this just a bug? I've played the same way in other missions and been lauded for my care in protecting civilians.

It's a bug. If you open one of the doors to the roof the game decides you shot everyone.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jerusalem posted:

When I was in Moscow (after doing Taipei and before Rome), there was a mission where Thorton has to sneak into the US Embassy to intercept Surkov and you're told to be careful of the staff. I made a point of sneaking in and not being detected, and only attacking the VCI guys who attack the Embassy and even then, only using non-lethal martial arts or tranquilizer darts. Once the mission was over, the mission debriefing screen mentioned the dramatic loss of civilian life that I was responsible for and I then received a message from Albatross complaining about how I'd barreled right up to the front door without any subtlety and started killing everybody in sight - did I do something wrong to cause this? Am I held responsible for people who are killed by OTHER characters? Or was this just a bug? I've played the same way in other missions and been lauded for my care in protecting civilians.

This is a bug. If the marines go hostile against you, then the plot flag for killing marines is set. In order to not be considered to have killed marines, you can't sneak in the roof.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's annoying, but at least I know it wasn't anything I did wrong now.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm doing an rear end in a top hat kill everyone playthrough on recruit and the complete change in dialogues and e-mails are amazing, I thoroughly enjoyed being an rear end in a top hat in Rome as a result. Makes up for lack of access to 3star weaponry.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Dr. Stab posted:

This is a bug. If the marines go hostile against you, then the plot flag for killing marines is set. In order to not be considered to have killed marines, you can't sneak in the roof.

This shouldn't be spoiled, and should be added to the OP

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished the game (well my first playthrough, anyway!) and that was an enjoyable gaming experience, though I feel that there were some oddly loose threads and I wonder if it is because I failed to so some things I should have or I just need to play a radically different game to access them.

During my final mission, one of my objectives was to upload data re: Alpha Protocol, but to make sure it was only stuff that hurt the USA so I wouldn't piss off Omen Deng. That kind of came out of nowhere as an objective for me, I hadn't spoken with that guy for some time and the entire basis of my playthrough had been that Thorton was a professional who believed in his country. It was a moot point anyway since the objective didn't seem to be in my objectives list once I was actually out of the Grey Box, I never encountered any kind of prompt about doing it as I made my way about, and there was nothing in my post-mission briefing about it.

I do love the tranq-guns though, if only because they made for some fun debriefing notes. I had to laugh when it mentioned that Thorton had used his martial arts abilities to defeat a Olympic Gold Medalist Boxer in what was supposed to have been a climactic battle, when all I'd done was pump six tranq bullets into his face at point blank range and ended the fight in 2 seconds.

Similarly, I had to laugh at the "final battle" basically consisting of me hunkered down behind cover and blind-firing a dozen or so tranq bullets into Leland's face while he stood confused in his room saying,"Where is he? Where is he? Where's Thorton gone?"

Next time I play this I think I'll play a brutally violent idiot who has absolutely zero subtlety. And at the end I'll take Leland up on his offer if he makes it each time.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Jerusalem posted:

Finished the game (well my first playthrough, anyway!) and that was an enjoyable gaming experience, though I feel that there were some oddly loose threads and I wonder if it is because I failed to so some things I should have or I just need to play a radically different game to access them.

Yes there are. You've yet to have one of the "This loving game" moments. Don't go near spoilers just yet as it sounds like you didn't find out a lot about some characters.

quote:

Similarly, I had to laugh at the "final battle" basically consisting of me hunkered down behind cover and blind-firing a dozen or so tranq bullets into Leland's face while he stood confused in his room saying,"Where is he? Where is he? Where's Thorton gone?"

It becomes even more hilarious if you just run directly into the control room

quote:

Next time I play this I think I'll play a brutally violent idiot who has absolutely zero subtlety. And at the end I'll take Leland up on his offer if he makes it each time.

Two words for you: Shotgun rear end in a top hat. No cover. No Subtlety. No Fucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hank Morgan posted:

Two words for you: Shotgun rear end in a top hat. No cover. No Subtlety. No Fucks.

That sounds perfect, I was all about being a professional soldier with a tranq pistol and awesome melee for my first playthrough so going kill crazy with a shotgun sounds like fun.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
I'm just curious. What do you consider to be loose ends you've encountered? Just to record them for posterity.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm disappointed there's no perk for shooting every god drat camera (except for the ones in that mansion in rome). Not even a perk for shooting most of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Exercu posted:

I'm just curious. What do you consider to be loose ends you've encountered? Just to record them for posterity.

Spoilered just to be on the safe side:

-Westridge is completely absent from the end of the game, aside from a debriefing note saying that he was completely absent and what if any role he had in the whole affair is completely unknown.

Albatross seems to significantly warn you that Darcy's death (even though I didn't kill him, just knocked him unconscious) is going to cause problems with his Dad - but nothing comes of it at all, even in the debriefing notes. Was this just sequel bait?

I didn't feel it was ever really adequately explained how Leland/Halbech got such visible, explicit control of Alpha Protocol. Obviously they had significant influence through Parker, but EVERYBODY seemed to take it as a given that they should follow Leland's orders, including Darcy who really didn't strike me as a Corporate Yes Man. I thought the entire point was that Alpha Protocol had been compromised, but that the people working for it didn't know who their real masters were.

What was with the whole thing with Omen Deng demanding that Thorton release secrets damaging to the USA? Nothing I did in my playthrough should have ever given any indication that I was anything but a patriot who believed in America. That whole angle seemed to come out of nowhere and disappear into nowhere just as quickly.

Mina's big warning was that Halbech was a Cold War Dinosaur and was trying to kick off a fresh one so they could make more money again, but that they hadn't learned the lessons that had seen their stock plummet since modern "wars" were fought by insurgency actions, small units and individuals doing hit and run raids, blowing poo poo up and causing terror. So I don't understand why by the endgame the whole deal seems to be that Halbech is close to succeeding in their goal by convincing the world that snipers, terrorist explosions and shot down airliners are only going to continue so they should.... put a shitload of money into military spending ala the Cold War? Surely that would just convince the world that they needed to adapt their strategies to deal with "new" warfare methods? or maybe I'm missing the point and they were just trying to paint China as the boogeyman somehow? It seemed like there were two distinct and separate threats from the Al-Samad terrorists and the Chinese Government, and I don't see how what Halbech was doing would in any way connect the two in the eyes of the world and convince the US Government to invest in military spending in a Cold War with China?

There's probably more that I've already forgotten, there were other minor things like a fair bit of confusion on my behalf of just what exactly VCI was (terrorists? mercenaries? a political faction?) and a few two many groups that got faction intel but played little to no part in the game - or stuff that was hilarious but didn't really go anywhere like the hilarious dude working in the rundown Gelato shop. What was THAT all about? It was hilarious, but nothing EVER seemed to come of it.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 3, 2011

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Outrespective posted:

I'm disappointed there's no perk for shooting every god drat camera (except for the ones in that mansion in rome). Not even a perk for shooting most of them.

Shooting a camera? With a bullet? How quaint.

Is the "Remote Hacking" skill ever explained? Once Thornton gets it he can just, what, hack using mind waves by just looking at something?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

In Training posted:

Is the "Remote Hacking" skill ever explained?

No more than Shadow Operative is.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Spoilered just to be on the safe side:

-Westridge is completely absent from the end of the game, aside from a debriefing note saying that he was completely absent and what if any role he had in the whole affair is completely unknown.

Albatross seems to significantly warn you that Darcy's death (even though I didn't kill him, just knocked him unconscious) is going to cause problems with his Dad - but nothing comes of it at all, even in the debriefing notes. Was this just sequel bait?

I didn't feel it was ever really adequately explained how Leland/Halbech got such visible, explicit control of Alpha Protocol. Obviously they had significant influence through Parker, but EVERYBODY seemed to take it as a given that they should follow Leland's orders, including Darcy who really didn't strike me as a Corporate Yes Man. I thought the entire point was that Alpha Protocol had been compromised, but that the people working for it didn't know who their real masters were.

What was with the whole thing with Omen Deng demanding that Thorton release secrets damaging to the USA? Nothing I did in my playthrough should have ever given any indication that I was anything but a patriot who believed in America. That whole angle seemed to come out of nowhere and disappear into nowhere just as quickly.

Mina's big warning was that Halbech was a Cold War Dinosaur and was trying to kick off a fresh one so they could make more money again, but that they hadn't learned the lessons that had seen their stock plummet since modern "wars" were fought by insurgency actions, small units and individuals doing hit and run raids, blowing poo poo up and causing terror. So I don't understand why by the endgame the whole deal seems to be that Halbech is close to succeeding in their goal by convincing the world that snipers, terrorist explosions and shot down airliners are only going to continue so they should.... put a shitload of money into military spending ala the Cold War? Surely that would just convince the world that they needed to adapt their strategies to deal with "new" warfare methods? or maybe I'm missing the point and they were just trying to paint China as the boogeyman somehow? It seemed like there were two distinct and separate threats from the Al-Samad terrorists and the Chinese Government, and I don't see how what Halbech was doing would in any way connect the two in the eyes of the world and convince the US Government to invest in military spending in a Cold War with China?

There's probably more that I've already forgotten, there were other minor things like a fair bit of confusion on my behalf of just what exactly VCI was (terrorists? mercenaries? a political faction?) and a few two many groups that got faction intel but played little to no part in the game - or stuff that was hilarious but didn't really go anywhere like the hilarious dude working in the rundown Gelato shop. What was THAT all about? It was hilarious, but nothing EVER seemed to come of it.

Getting all the dossiers and getting 100% on as many files as possible and reading them all explains a lot of stuff, as does following the correct convo paths with certain npc's at certain points in the storyline.

Play through it a few more times.

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In Training posted:

Shooting a camera? With a bullet? How quaint.

Is the "Remote Hacking" skill ever explained? Once Thornton gets it he can just, what, hack using mind waves by just looking at something?

I imagine he remote hacks with his pda you just don't get to physically see it.

I found remote hack handy in all of two places, using it for one unreachable computer in the final mission in taipei where you are clearing through the gardens and in the museum in rome when you go into a wing so you don't trip the explosive traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrespective
Oct 9, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

If you liked the hilarious dude in the rundown gelato shop, you'll be freaked out on a playthrough on veteran... in fact a general warning for those playing it on veteran is that while a lot of conversations start out the same with the same options, there's sometimes new or extra lines added to the conversation, rarely but there is, so pressing th er trigger to fast forward through convo's could mean missing out on extra comments.

Outrespective fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 3, 2011

• Locked thread