Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

maniacripper posted:

I think he has a point. When you do PEDs in pro wrestling you aren't actually influencing anything, maybe you get a push because Vince pops a boner but in the UFC you're actively trying to hurt the other guy and PEDs put your opponent in more danger.

most of the fighters getting popped for PEDs are doing it for quicker recovery, not to be some giant guy who hulk smashes opponents like Overeem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

sportsgenius86 posted:

most of the fighters getting popped for PEDs are doing it for quicker recovery, not to be some giant guy who hulk smashes opponents like Overeem.

I don't think it changes anything. In actual sports PEDs create a lot of problems with competition and forcing those who don't use them to a huge disadvantage.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

maniacripper posted:

I don't think it changes anything. In actual sports PEDs create a lot of problems with competition and forcing those who don't use them to a huge disadvantage.

Except for most of the guys who did PEDs in the Mitchell Report weren't very good.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Moose Bigelow posted:

Except for most of the guys who did PEDs in the Mitchell Report weren't very good.

What?

This Mitchell Report? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_named_in_the_Mitchell_Report

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

maniacripper posted:

I don't disagree. There are certainly disadvantages. My point was that those disadvantages come more in the form of recovery and not so much in putting on muscle to enable yourself to further hurt someone.

My comment was in reference to the "put your opponent in more danger" stuff because that effect is often exaggerated as a lot of these guys aren't doing it for benefits that would ultimately put someone in more danger.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is a real sport and thus there are actual consequences for PED use. He served his suspension and it isn't like he fought right after it was over with anyway. I wasn't a huge fan of using Texas as his return fight, however UFC does want him to get licensed in real states.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So I had to cancel my WO subscription from June-October for various money-tightening reasons, but I signed up again yesterday and noticed a series of History of Wrestling podcasts from Karl Stern.

Anyone else listen to these and if so, are they worth going back and listening to?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

So I had to cancel my WO subscription from June-October for various money-tightening reasons, but I signed up again yesterday and noticed a series of History of Wrestling podcasts from Karl Stern.

Anyone else listen to these and if so, are they worth going back and listening to?

They are fairly dry but extremely interesting to listen to. The last couple episodes are dealing with history I mostly already knew, but everything up to 1930 was really interesting. Even when he covered things I knew pretty well from that era there were many parts of the history I had no clue about.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Sorry guys this isn't free, but the ever-devious Ultramantis Black is today's guest on Figure Four Daily. Boosh!

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...masks-tons-more

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I really wish Bryan and Dave recapped a Chikara event.
Even if they poo poo on it, I think it would create an entertaining show.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Sorry guys this isn't free, but the ever-devious Ultramantis Black is today's guest on Figure Four Daily. Boosh!

http://www.f4wonline.com/component/...masks-tons-more
This was a GREAT show. I burst out loud laughing at "When you were a little bug."

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lone Goat posted:

This was a GREAT show. I burst out loud laughing at "When you were a little bug."

About to have a listen myself. I do hope it lives up to the hype!

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Everyone put on your party hat and hold onto your rear end, because Gabe Sapolsky is returning to Figure Four Daily soon. I'm setting the over/under on veiled, passive aggressive references to ROH at 3. What will it be???

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Does Evolve Wrestling even still exist?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't get Evolve.
The whole win-loss premise doesn't work when they run so few shows.

What are they doing that King of Trios, Battle of Los Angeles, DDT, etc. aren't already fitting into a single weekend?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I don't get Evolve.
The whole win-loss premise doesn't work when they run so few shows.

What are they doing that King of Trios, Battle of Los Angeles, DDT, etc. aren't already fitting into a single weekend?

Validating intelligent design.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

I don't get Evolve.
It's a mystery.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't actually watch any wrestling right now.

So when ever my subscription expires I go "I don't actually need to be, I'm cool."

But then I sit and twitch and go "must know what stupid poo poo TNA is doing... must know backstage politics at WWE." and eventually resubscribe anyway.

I also love the Dr Lucha shows, so that makes it hard not to resubscribe.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

I really wish Bryan and Dave recapped a Chikara event.
Even if they poo poo on it, I think it would create an entertaining show.

They did once.

And they poo poo on it HARD.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

The free B&V show was pretty good I thought

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

E: gently caress, I can't read.

The B&V Rewind for June '08 is hilarious and everyone should listen, what with the Kamala song and the $1M giveaway reviews.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 3, 2011

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Capsaicin posted:

They did once.

And they poo poo on it HARD.

Are you sure you're not talking about the B&V show with the hour long tag gauntlet they hated?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

GoutPatrol posted:

Are you sure you're not talking about the B&V show with the hour long tag gauntlet they hated?

Pretty sure that was that Chikara show they watched, even if just that one match. From the first KOT?

Edit: Didn't notice it said Bryan and Dave.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Fauxhawk Express posted:

E: gently caress, I can't read.

The B&V Rewind for June '08 is hilarious and everyone should listen, what with the Kamala song and the $1M giveaway reviews.

Vinnie reviewing the bodyslam challenge was so fantastic.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Today's Observer poll slayed me

If I made $56,000 2 years ago, $49,000 last year and $47,000 this year, am I

-Doing better because my drop by percentage was less than year than last year

-Doing worse becaue I'm making less money

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

ChampRamp posted:

Today's Observer poll slayed me

If I made $56,000 2 years ago, $49,000 last year and $47,000 this year, am I

-Doing better because my drop by percentage was less than year than last year

-Doing worse becaue I'm making less money

What's this in reference to?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Hypothetical based off of the dropping of WWE's profits I would assume

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Vince has claimed that by lowering the rate that their revenue/profits/buyrates fall they are turning things around and in a better position than they were.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This week's Art of Wrestling is KENNY OMEGA~!

Haven't listened to it, but I am quite excited.

e: Huh, just realized it's Thursday night right now, not Wednesday night. So I am in fact a day late making this post!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I decided to listen to the Gabe F4D and holy poo poo is he whiny. I can see being mad about piracy, but being mad because fans think the tickets are too expensive?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

I decided to listen to the Gabe F4D and holy poo poo is he whiny. I can see being mad about piracy, but being mad because fans think the tickets are too expensive?

Gabe reminds me of Garfield the cat.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"I'm going to paint myself green next year"
"No you aren't"
"Why not?"
"Because it's too much work"
"That's true... can you paint me green?"
"I would love to :3:"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Holy poo poo that Gabe interview was insufferable. I can't imagine anyone listening to that would ever want to check out DGUSA or Evolve. If anything, he probably drove more people to pirate them out of spite.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Nothing about this is shocking but is piracy for DGUSA even that rampant? I know it is for WWE and even TNA because they're on TV all the time but I honestly can't remember seeing a DGUSA show in any of the places you'd expect to see them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Akileese posted:

Nothing about this is shocking but is piracy for DGUSA even that rampant? I know it is for WWE and even TNA because they're on TV all the time but I honestly can't remember seeing a DGUSA show in any of the places you'd expect to see them.

The way Gabe talked about it, the problem is that the people who would normally order the DVDs over the internet are savvy enough to just torrent them.

So it's not that there are tons of people downloading Evolve events, but the small amount of people who would normally buy the DVD is even smaller now that a bunch of them are just downloading.

Plus he has a wife and a child to think about, and you are taking his child's future education away from him. He would also bring in Steve Blackman if people wouldn't download so darn much.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gabe is pretentious as gently caress and this is not a new thing.

Also, if you are hedging your child's future on an indie wrestling organization, you are a lovely parent.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

He would also bring in Steve Blackman if people wouldn't download so darn much.

Wait, what? Why? Blackman is retired and kinda old.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

Wait, what? Why? Blackman is retired and kinda old.

I think the idea was he'd bring in someone really cool if people stopped stealing food from his children.

Unless he really said Steve Blackman.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
It was one of the questions that THE BOARD~ asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

triplexpac posted:

The way Gabe talked about it, the problem is that the people who would normally order the DVDs over the internet are savvy enough to just torrent them.

So it's not that there are tons of people downloading Evolve events, but the small amount of people who would normally buy the DVD is even smaller now that a bunch of them are just downloading.

Plus he has a wife and a child to think about, and you are taking his child's future education away from him. He would also bring in Steve Blackman if people wouldn't download so darn much.

This entire argument is baseless because people who pirate things like indy wrestling are the people who don't buy anything at all. Then again, this is an argument that doesn't need to be brought up again.

So B & V today was fantastic. I've actually grown to enjoy the granny segments when I use to skip them.

• Locked thread