Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.

I thought the issue was the Bionic was supposed to have been out before the summer even began? So since that got held up, they now have two devices released rapid-fire like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah that's what I got out of it also. The delay of the Bionic kinda ducked them over.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AppleCobbler posted:

As a Bionic owner, I'm kinda pissed they would introduce a product that's literally twice as thin and boasts as good or better battery life and better specs overall within a month of their long-anticipated and supposedly flagship phone.
Is this your first Android phone or something?

Also, yes the Bionic's development was a complete mess and what we eventually got isn't even the same phone that won accolades at CES 9 months earlier.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Don't feel bad, new RAZR owners will probably be saying the same thing about the Galaxy Nexus soon enough ;)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Then in 3 weeks there will be another super phone that is better than the galaxy nexus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The people to really feel bad for are those who bought the Charge or Thunderbolt in July or August.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
So Costco is trying to stop replacing phones for newer models? gently caress, I was banking on that. Is it even confirmed if they'll be carrying the RAZR? I'm still gonna try and weasel my way into returning my Bionic for one of these newer phones, just need a good story...

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

So Costco is trying to stop replacing phones for newer models? gently caress, I was banking on that. Is it even confirmed if they'll be carrying the RAZR? I'm still gonna try and weasel my way into returning my Bionic for one of these newer phones, just need a good story...

What? Where did you get this idea? On the previous page of this thread, someone posted the portion of Costco's policy where they spell out the exact opposite.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

The people to really feel bad for are those who bought the Charge or Thunderbolt in July or August.

What do you mean the phone i purchased 2 months ago isn't getting the new OS?

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

Through a combination of reselling my Charge (that I bought in July on a new contract), a couple older phones, and my Nook Color, I'm hoping to pay for about half or more of a Galaxy Nexus.

How soon do off-contract prices start to drop? I will probably wait til January, but will I likely have to buy used at that point to get anything off the initial $599 or $699 sticker price?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I honestly can't figure out why Verizon is even selling these with a clear conscience at this point. Whatever is left of the stock of Thunderbolts should be bulldozed and buried in the desert where they dumped those ET cartridges for the Atari 2600.

I bought mine July 4 weekend at a Verizon shop so I'm stuck with this hunk of trash. At least the Gingerbread update seems to have massively helped battery life to where I don't need to have it plugged in at my desk at work all day even with that giant extended battery.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Yeah my thunderbolt is a piece of poo poo too, I have already got two replacements for it. One refused to connect to 3g or 4g 1/2 the time. The second had serious speaker/call dropping issues. Maybe when this one breaks I can weasal my way into a new phone. I did buy it early april and my upgrade is December 2012 so hopefully I will have quite a selection in 1 year+....

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

texaholic posted:

Yeah my thunderbolt is a piece of poo poo too, I have already got two replacements for it. One refused to connect to 3g or 4g 1/2 the time. The second had serious speaker/call dropping issues. Maybe when this one breaks I can weasal my way into a new phone. I did buy it early april and my upgrade is December 2012 so hopefully I will have quite a selection in 1 year+....

I think late next year will be the sweet spot for LTE devices anyway. Hopefully by than they'll figure out how to make an LTE device that isn't a power-sucking piece of poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ciabatta posted:

How soon do off-contract prices start to drop? I will probably wait til January, but will I likely have to buy used at that point to get anything off the initial $599 or $699 sticker price?

The short answer is, they don't.

The Thunderbolt is still the full $569 month to month price.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bull3964 posted:

The short answer is, they don't.

The Thunderbolt is still the full $569 month to month price.

I thought that might be the case. Does literally nowhere get cheaper? I just checked Amazon Wireless and Droid Charge is still $679.99 ($20 off retail price!). I thought it would just be Verizon keeping such high prices for so long.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

SpacedOut posted:

Unlimited data cannot be maintained when moving lines between accounts (i.e. when doing assumptions of liability). If you're going from single to family plan on the *same* account the unlimited will stay, it's only when actually switching from one account to another.
I switched from my dad's family plan account to my own family plan account and maintained unlimited data after the tiered data change.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what are the rest of you Costco buyers doing? Keeping the Bionic, trading for the RAZR, or waiting for the Nexus?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ciabatta posted:

I thought that might be the case. Does literally nowhere get cheaper? I just checked Amazon Wireless and Droid Charge is still $679.99 ($20 off retail price!). I thought it would just be Verizon keeping such high prices for so long.

Resellers like Amazon will keep the price high (or even higher than Verizon's price) anyway because they'd otherwise make no margin on full-retail sales. They make money when they sign people on to a new contract or an upgrade and get a commission for putting someone on a 2-year commitment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

So what are the rest of you Costco buyers doing? Keeping the Bionic, trading for the RAZR, or waiting for the Nexus?

For me, all options are open until Dec 7th when I have to make a decision.

If the Nexus doesn't come to costco, i'll probably trade in for the Razr (assuming I can get a hold of one of those there.)

If I have to trade for the Razr, I may use it for a bit before I decide if I want to sell it and buy a Galaxy Nexus.

I'm still VERY iffy on RF performance for the Galaxy Nexus.

If whatever combination of forces combine and I can't trade my binoic in, it's not going to be the end of the world for me. There are advantages to having a 2nd battery and extended battery and all the other swag I have. I'll probably end up keeping it in that case and wait until this time next year and buy whatever new superphone comes out.

Edit: http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/01/galaxy-nexus-on-verizon-appears-headed-for-release-just-after-black-friday/

We're pretty much confirmed for a post thanksgiving release now. It's very possible the launch of the Galaxy Nexus will fall outside my trade window.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I'm still VERY iffy on RF performance for the Galaxy Nexus.

What's this about?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

jfreder posted:

What's this about?

Samsung doesn't have a good track record in RF performance. The Charge plays 3rd fiddle to the Thunderbolt and Bionic in just about every metric of LTE performance (speed, reliability, handoff) and the rumor was that the REASON why Verizon is delaying the Nexus, they were waiting for Samsung to fix LTE issues.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Where did you hear that?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
Ah. I figured the delay was to not hurt RAZR sales. Where'd you hear about Verizon's issues with with the GNex' LTE performance? Kind of a bummer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kalibar posted:

Where did you hear that?

Can't find the thread right now on androidforums, but an insider claimed Verizon wasn't happy with the LTE performance on the Galaxy Nexus and was going to hold launch until Samsung sorted it out. Again, firmly in rumor territory, but it would explain why this keeps getting pushed back.

Believe me, they aren't worried about the Razr sales. The thing has already sold like hotcakes in presales.

Cop
Nov 14, 2007
Does anybody have a prepaid plan? What is the price for it before/after taxes?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kalibar posted:

Where did you hear that?

Some random dude who claimed he has inside knowledge.

Sounds like a pretty reliable source to me :jerkbag:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 2, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

In bull's defense, he's been a wealth of knowledge on Verizon and Android and its been accurate and reliable.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

LordOfThePants posted:

Question for the Verizon employees here:

Last September (2010), I added my grandmother to my family share plan so she could get off a prepaid cell phone and on to something a little more reliable.

We just had to move her into a nursing home, and it's likely she won't be able to go back home. She obviously doesn't need the cell phone anymore, so my Mom asked if I could cancel the line.

Assuming a $5/mo prorate on the ETF, it makes more sense for me to cancel the line rather than pay another 11 months of $10+taxes to run out the contract.

Is there any way they'll waive the ETF in this case? I'd rather not pay it if I can.

VV I thought about going the "Grandma died" route, but I've heard they ask for proof so that won't work. Maybe I'll just call and hope for a sympathetic CSR.

We do not ask for proof. "Terminal illness" is also a legit reason to have the ETF waived. And as other said about it being an add-a-line and the main account holder still being in fine health, that doesn't matter. Death/Terminal Illness is one of the areas Verizon shines (at least compared to previous employers). We take your word on it and disconnects are generally hassle-free.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I was thinking of getting a Bionic since my plan was up the beginning of this month, but now everyone seems to be against it ... should I wait and see with the RAZR but I'm just afraid it will be like every other launch everyone will hate it afterwards.

Are there any solid LTE phones out there?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

JayKay posted:

In bull's defense, he's been a wealth of knowledge on Verizon and Android and its been accurate and reliable.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

He was adamant that there was no way in hell that Verizon would get a Nexus phone.

Also I question his source in this case as we didn't see that story go anywhere at a time when any GNex rumor was treated as news. I'm not saying he's wrong, just that random dude on forum X might not be the best source.

All pretty pointless really. It's coming out sooner than later, let us all rejoice in that fact together as Verizon customers.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Codiusprime posted:

He was adamant that there was no way in hell that Verizon would get a Nexus phone.

Technically he's still right until it gets released. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Codiusprime posted:

It's coming out sooner than later, let us all rejoice in that fact together as Verizon customers.

Even those of us who aren't buying one can agree to that. :) It's pretty neat that "we" get one, for once.

I will now go back to my cave and crossing my fingers and toes for the Droid 4 to not suck.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I just had Verizon call me to try to set up an appointment for me to go visit a verizon wireless store for a free upgrade and whatever, but it made me wonder... are the deals the same as they are online?

When I paid my bill this month I noticed I could get an Iphone4S for $199 (the 16 gb) and just wondered if I could go into a score and get the same deal.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Crazy685 posted:

I just had Verizon call me to try to set up an appointment for me to go visit a verizon wireless store for a free upgrade and whatever, but it made me wonder... are the deals the same as they are online?

When I paid my bill this month I noticed I could get an Iphone4S for $199 (the 16 gb) and just wondered if I could go into a score and get the same deal.

Yes. iPhone 4S 16GB is $199 -- everywhere.
I actually got $50 off my phone but it had nothing to do with being online or offline. Some phones (not iPhone) may vary in price depending on the retailer in which you choose to buy it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Question for Verizon employees:

How easy is it to get my upgrade moved up a month? I'm eligible for my new every 2 or whatever upgrade on January 11th. Can I get that moved up to December so I can buy myself a Nexus for Christmas?

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Ha, good luck. I tried two stores and four phone calls and couldn't even move a week.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Counter example: my brother called and they moved him up around two weeks, I think, so that he could get in under unlimited data.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
My phone was destroyed and I was up for an upgrade in literally 7 business days. The guy wouldn't move me up. I had been getting so much poo poo from this collection company that thought I was this guy Willie Jarmon so I switched numbers after changing lines. I was pretty upset with Verizon but they are the best carrier locally so I stuck with em.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

They've really tightened up on moving upgrades up. Indirect stores in my area have the ability to do it one week early. The two things that managers absolutely can't make an exception on are iPhone and 4G early upgrades. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but somebody's going to get yelled at if it happens.

kstatix fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Bob A Feet posted:

Question for Verizon employees:

How easy is it to get my upgrade moved up a month? I'm eligible for my new every 2 or whatever upgrade on January 11th. Can I get that moved up to December so I can buy myself a Nexus for Christmas?

It would not be the worst idea to wait until January anyway. It gives you time to read reviews and see if VZW cripples their Nexus.

• Locked thread