Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Pretty sure we are supposed to call the things Verizon does to their phones "features."

Get it right man you can never have to many navigation and visual voice mail apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Codiusprime posted:

Pretty sure we are supposed to call the things Verizon does to their phones "features."

This is why phones that do nothing are called "feature phones."

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

After reading this bullshit yesterday, I'm really starting to get disgusted with Verizon. Turns out that having LTE on a desirable frequency makes you a real dick of a company.

I love my Droid Charge's hardware, but the lack of an even remotely-loving-usable ROM is really killing me. I came from a Galaxy S on T-Mobile that had lots of aftermarket development done and thought "how much worse can the Charge be, and how long can it take them to get CM7 going given that it works on the Fascinate?"

The answers are "a lot" and "a long time," respectively. I know that LTE poses tough challenges for devs, and Samsung sucks for not releasing driver source code, and it's totally not the devs' faults because they're an awesome bunch of chill bros working for free, but yeah, this thing is just a mess.

I'm reluctantly switching down to a CM-able Ev-DO phone and giving up the sweet nectar of LTE for awhile. If the Galaxy Nexus somehow turns out to suck, my pals and I are thinking of just eating our ETFs and going back to T-Mobile.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
If I bring my own LTE hotspot, does Verizon require that I still sign a 2-year contract to start service on a postpaid plan? The prepaid mobile broadband options kind of suck rear end and Verizon gets the best coverage for my daily train ride to Los Angeles.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

If I bring my own LTE hotspot, does Verizon require that I still sign a 2-year contract to start service on a postpaid plan? The prepaid mobile broadband options kind of suck rear end and Verizon gets the best coverage for my daily train ride to Los Angeles.

No, since you're not taking a subsidy. Just get a SIM from a shop and set up an account for service.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

As kitten smoothie said, your activation options are either a 2-year contract, if you want subsidized equipment, or non-contract, if you're going to BYOE (equipment) or pay full retail.

The only caveat is that Verizon NEVER waives activation fees for non-contract activations (even if your employee discount stipulates activation fee waivers). This is to prevent people from activating/deactivating service all willy-nilly.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
One other thing that I can think of: Does the prepaid MBB service work with the LTE network, or is it 3G only?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeesh, Verizon is just breaking out of all their normal conventions now.

The Razr launches in store on November 11th, at 11:11am. It's odd for Verizon to launch a big phone on a day other than Thursady, which brings me to the Rezound.

The Rezound is apparently launching on Monday the 14th, a time of week that they usually poo poo out blackberries that no one cares about. So, it's odd that they would go through this whole media event and then push it out that day.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe the new rumors of a 17th nexus release are true. They didn't want to launch two big phones on the same day but there wasn't enough time before the Nexus launches so they squeezed in another release day.

Who knows at this point. All I know is a lot of heavy hitting devices are coming out within a short timeframe after spending half the year not really releasing anything all that good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

bull3964 posted:

Yeesh, Verizon is just breaking out of all their normal conventions now.

The Razr launches in store on November 11th, at 11:11am. It's odd for Verizon to launch a big phone on a day other than Thursady, which brings me to the Rezound.

The Rezound is apparently launching on Monday the 14th, a time of week that they usually poo poo out blackberries that no one cares about. So, it's odd that they would go through this whole media event and then push it out that day.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe the new rumors of a 17th nexus release are true. They didn't want to launch two big phones on the same day but there wasn't enough time before the Nexus launches so they squeezed in another release day.

Who knows at this point. All I know is a lot of heavy hitting devices are coming out within a short timeframe after spending half the year not really releasing anything all that good.

Having major Bionic regrets right now, especially considering I don't live in a 4g area. At least I'm still off contract so I can get a Nexus and dump my Bionic and probably come out ahead.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

kalibar posted:

After reading this bullshit yesterday, I'm really starting to get disgusted with Verizon. Turns out that having LTE on a desirable frequency makes you a real dick of a company.

I love my Droid Charge's hardware, but the lack of an even remotely-loving-usable ROM is really killing me. I came from a Galaxy S on T-Mobile that had lots of aftermarket development done and thought "how much worse can the Charge be, and how long can it take them to get CM7 going given that it works on the Fascinate?"

The answers are "a lot" and "a long time," respectively. I know that LTE poses tough challenges for devs, and Samsung sucks for not releasing driver source code, and it's totally not the devs' faults because they're an awesome bunch of chill bros working for free, but yeah, this thing is just a mess.

I'm reluctantly switching down to a CM-able Ev-DO phone and giving up the sweet nectar of LTE for awhile. If the Galaxy Nexus somehow turns out to suck, my pals and I are thinking of just eating our ETFs and going back to T-Mobile.

If it makes you feel better, they probably won't get very far at all with the turbo-button thing. Few developers are willing to use 3rd party apis that will only affect a fraction of users. It's pretty much the same story with specific device and manufacturer's api.

As far as Droid Charge Woes. Not much you can do. Individual device devs aren't just doing this for free, and against tough challenges, they generally do that because they own that phone, and want it better. If it's taking this long, the Charge probably wasn't attractive enough to devs. You can at least take solace in that there's at least active work unlike the Continuum, also close to the Fascinate, but will probably never have CM7.

Or anything else of note.

Other than a device specific api.

(that nobody uses)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Verizon isn't even going to have that API available until Q3 2012 either so a lot can change between now and then.

But yeah, no one is going to end up using it.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Aurium posted:

If it's taking this long, the Charge probably wasn't attractive enough to devs.
Yeah, this is what gets me. It's the only LTE phone with an AMOLED display, it has an unlocked bootloader, a bunch of applicable work was already done on the Fascinate, and it's a Droid-branded device. Apparently the LTE radio driver is just a huge pain in the rear end or something, and several of the higher-profile devs who were working on it sold their Charges and went to other stuff.

Obviously it's silly to count on something happening when noble volunteers with limited resources are your only helpers, I think I'm more just frustrated at Samsung for putting out another unusable clusterfuck of a product and leaving the community with a mountain to climb just to do their jobs for them (again).

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Did anyone see what kind of screen the Rezound has, beyond the resolution?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Probably S-LCD.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Anyone know if there is some sort of "Magic number" on the amount of defective phones you exchange before you can convince Verizon to give you a different phone as a replacement? I know it is possible because my girlfriend exchanged 4 different pixi's before she bitched them out and they gave her a blackberry.

I just got my replacement X2 and it still randomly reboots and has the same issues as my first one. Right now I'm contemplating just exchanging the phones constantly until I have enough sway to convince them to send me a Droid 3 instead or something like that.

This phone always picks the worse possible times to poo poo itself and reboot. Im sick and tired of it.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Anyone know if there is some sort of "Magic number" on the amount of defective phones you exchange before you can convince Verizon to give you a different phone as a replacement? I know it is possible because my girlfriend exchanged 4 different pixi's before she bitched them out and they gave her a blackberry.

I just got my replacement X2 and it still randomly reboots and has the same issues as my first one. Right now I'm contemplating just exchanging the phones constantly until I have enough sway to convince them to send me a Droid 3 instead or something like that.

This phone always picks the worse possible times to poo poo itself and reboot. Im sick and tired of it.

I was able to do it after one time. If you have to do it again, yea, you probably will be good. Otherwise do an executive email carpet bomb, that is how I got my iPhone 4 from my Droid 2 Global.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Professorbx posted:

I was able to do it after one time. If you have to do it again, yea, you probably will be good. Otherwise do an executive email carpet bomb, that is how I got my iPhone 4 from my Droid 2 Global.

Care to share where you got those executive emails? Or are they buried somewhere on Verizon's site?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Care to share where you got those executive emails? Or are they buried somewhere on Verizon's site?

The Consumerist is a gold mine for executive-level contact information.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Has anyone confirmed if Costco will be carrying the RAZR?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The 4g service on my Thunderbolt cut out a day after they pushed the original OTA for Gingerbread out (but before they pulled the update). I never took the OTA, but when they asked me what happened, I just told them my girlfriend had installed it and now I have no 4g. They sent me a refurbed thunderbolt, which also had no 4g. So then they sent me another thunderbolt, and a new sim card. The sim card wouldn't activate properly and the new thunderbolt's earphone speaker was blown out so it sounded like charlie brown's parents everytime I got a call. Finally, after comping my whole month's bills, and sending three defective phones, they sent me a Bionic(which still didn't have 4g, but we later find out it was a deep network problem on their end which took an extra week to solve).

So, I guess for me the magic number was 3. I think it varies based on how angry you can get on the phone. I'm too polite to flip out on a customer service rep, so it probably took me longer, but I imagine that if they send you a replacement and THAT replacement is bad, you should be able to talk your way into a new phone.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

ProjektorBoy posted:

The Consumerist is a gold mine for executive-level contact information.

I followed the Consumerist's advice, but then I just did some digging to find out what the Verizon naming conventions were (hint, it is all emails that are just first name period last name @verizonwireless.com). Look at the Verizon wireless website and do a general carpet bomb of all the customer service execs in your area, along with some of the big whigs.

http://aboutus.verizonwireless.com/leadership/executive/index.html

Btw, I am pointing this out as an extreme case, and also pointing out that they took great care of me. So, don't be a dick and they will treat you right. :D

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I'll have Rezounds on Tuesday it looks like.

Which is good because my Bionic is getting the "no internet" issue constantly now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

AppleCobbler posted:

The 4g service on my Thunderbolt cut out a day after they pushed the original OTA for Gingerbread out (but before they pulled the update). I never took the OTA, but when they asked me what happened, I just told them my girlfriend had installed it and now I have no 4g. They sent me a refurbed thunderbolt, which also had no 4g. So then they sent me another thunderbolt, and a new sim card. The sim card wouldn't activate properly and the new thunderbolt's earphone speaker was blown out so it sounded like charlie brown's parents everytime I got a call. Finally, after comping my whole month's bills, and sending three defective phones, they sent me a Bionic(which still didn't have 4g, but we later find out it was a deep network problem on their end which took an extra week to solve).

So, I guess for me the magic number was 3. I think it varies based on how angry you can get on the phone. I'm too polite to flip out on a customer service rep, so it probably took me longer, but I imagine that if they send you a replacement and THAT replacement is bad, you should be able to talk your way into a new phone.

Yeah I'm not gonna start cursing the guy out and I'm not looking for a super phone. Just something comparative, which is pretty much the droid 3 since its the only other phone with 512 ram and a dual core on Verizon.

Should have stuck with the Droid 3 when I had it :(

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
I believe this is the nexus rumor many of us had been salivating for. Looks plausible enough.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/05/verizon-galaxy-nexus-listed-in-costcos-systems-with-a-289-pric/

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I'm very interested in the Galaxy Nexus yet I am on Sprint. My folks are on verizon and I'm thinking of switching back to their family plan, how much would it cost to add another line to the family plan with all the data fees? I dont have their account details so I can't log in and just see how much it'll be.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Drevoak posted:

I'm very interested in the Galaxy Nexus yet I am on Sprint. My folks are on verizon and I'm thinking of switching back to their family plan, how much would it cost to add another line to the family plan with all the data fees? I dont have their account details so I can't log in and just see how much it'll be.

10 for the line, 30 for data (2gb cap) I'm pretty sure.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Costco still doesn't sell phones off contract, right?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Costco still doesn't sell phones off contract, right?

Correct, new lines or upgrade only.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

tismondo posted:

I believe this is the nexus rumor many of us had been salivating for. Looks plausible enough.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/05/verizon-galaxy-nexus-listed-in-costcos-systems-with-a-289-pric/

I for one eagerly await page after page of people asking how to game Costco's exchange policy :allears:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

tismondo posted:

Ugh I need a release date.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I for one eagerly await page after page of people asking how to game Costco's exchange policy :allears:

Except their exchange policy is completely legitimate...?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

doctor thodt posted:

Except their exchange policy is completely legitimate...?

My dad took his Thunderbolt back to Costco and got a Bionic at day 87 of the 90 days. He was reluctant to do so because he said he had used it this whole time and thought he was gaming the policy.

He changed his mind when I pointed out that they expected that it would come back used -- they certainly cannot expect that anyone would pay 3 months' cell service for a new phone and not ever take it out of the box.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

kitten smoothie posted:

My dad took his Thunderbolt back to Costco and got a Bionic at day 87 of the 90 days. He was reluctant to do so because he said he had used it this whole time and thought he was gaming the policy.

He changed his mind when I pointed out that they expected that it would come back used -- they certainly cannot expect that anyone would pay 3 months' cell service for a new phone and not ever take it out of the box.

No, you jerk, they expected it to come back with a real problem, not just because you want to exchange it for a newer phone.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

AppleCobbler posted:

No, you jerk, they expected it to come back with a real problem, not just because you want to exchange it for a newer phone.

This conversation has been had, and trust me, the people that do this have gotten great at rationalizing it to themselves. I would just nod and move on honestly.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

AppleCobbler posted:

Jesus Christ, here we go again. Two goddamn pages ago, Bull posted a quote from the Costco policy where they explicitly say it's fine to exchange the phone for any reason. Sorry if Costco's decision to offer a liberal return policy offends you or something, but it's not like people are gaming the system here.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Penguissimo posted:

Jesus Christ, here we go again. Two goddamn pages ago, Bull posted a quote from the Costco policy where they explicitly say it's fine to exchange the phone for any reason. Sorry if Costco's decision to offer a liberal return policy offends you or something, but it's not like people are gaming the system here.

Correct. Costco allows phone exchanges for reasons as simple as "I don't like it." I mean, it explicitly states you can exchange it if you simply don't like it. This isn't gaming the system or exploiting costco, that's one of the member services they provide.

In other news, latest Verizon roadmap says 11/21 for web only orders of the Galaxy Nexus.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/06/verizon-roadmap-shows-galaxy-nexus-available-online-only-1121-new-xoom-2-on-1130/

I'm wondering if they won't actually be carrying it in store at corp locations.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!

Penguissimo posted:

I was told the same by the Costco salesman when I got my Bionic, so I will have 0 misgivings about trading it in when they explicitly told me I could.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I was actively encouraged by the Costco sales rep to trade in my Bionic if something better came out within 3 months.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

bull3964 posted:

In other news, latest Verizon roadmap says 11/21 for web only orders of the Galaxy Nexus.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/06/verizon-roadmap-shows-galaxy-nexus-available-online-only-1121-new-xoom-2-on-1130/

I'm wondering if they won't actually be carrying it in store at corp locations.

Has Verizon ever done the "web orders only" for a phone in the past?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

JayKay posted:

Has Verizon ever done the "web orders only" for a phone in the past?
There was one Android phone a year ago that was only available through indirect sales. I forget if it was also up for sale on verizon.com.

• Locked thread