Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

waffle iron posted:

There was one Android phone a year ago that was only available through indirect sales. I forget if it was also up for sale on verizon.com.

I think that was the HTC Merge? It wasn't in corporate stores and was only available online or at 3rd party stores i'm pretty sure...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think that was the HTC Merge? It wasn't in corporate stores and was only available online or at 3rd party stores i'm pretty sure...
Yeah it was the HTC Merge. I think that was because it came to Verizon after US Cellular had it, so they were never going to promote it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

waffle iron posted:

Yeah it was the HTC Merge. I think that was because it came to Verizon after US Cellular had it, so they were never going to promote it.

I thought it was the opposite, that it went to US Cellular because Verizon ultimately passed on carrying it. However, they'd approved it so they didn't block 3rd party sellers from selling it.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
So I have this weird problem with Google Voicemail. I had it set up for a month or so with no problems but eventually I realized any time I had a missed call, I would have two. So the person would call, hang up, then call right back and leave a message. I thought it was just people being weird but my grandma told me that my voicemail was too confusing and that it kept asking her to redial the number. After testing it out this is what happens:

Someone calls and it rings
The voice tells them to dial the number they want and press #
They re-enter the number and it rings again
They can leave a voicemail

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to GV since I set it up initially. I also know it was working correctly in the beginning but not anymore.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So if Verizon is only going to sell the galaxy nexus online, how are people going to try it before buying?

Edit: I do realize its only a rumor, but It just seems like a really odd thing to do to a hyped phone.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 7, 2011

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A hyped phone that they would really rather everyone not buy.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

jfreder posted:

So I have this weird problem with Google Voicemail. I had it set up for a month or so with no problems but eventually I realized any time I had a missed call, I would have two. So the person would call, hang up, then call right back and leave a message. I thought it was just people being weird but my grandma told me that my voicemail was too confusing and that it kept asking her to redial the number. After testing it out this is what happens:

Someone calls and it rings
The voice tells them to dial the number they want and press #
They re-enter the number and it rings again
They can leave a voicemail

As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to GV since I set it up initially. I also know it was working correctly in the beginning but not anymore.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Have you actually picked a GV number? I had a customer the other day with the exact same issue, and it turned out he was just using the default open access GV number and never actually picked his own unique number.

Also, make sure all three vm call fordarding options are set to direct calls to your GV number, and that GV is set to Do Not Disturb.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

SpacedOut posted:

Have you actually picked a GV number? I had a customer the other day with the exact same issue, and it turned out he was just using the default open access GV number and never actually picked his own unique number.

Also, make sure all three vm call fordarding options are set to direct calls to your GV number, and that GV is set to Do Not Disturb.

Let me piggy back, Jfreder. Same issue as him. And your post unfortunately doesn't work for me because I can't find these settings :(

Droid Bionic here.

I go into the phone settings, call settings.

Voicemail service is set to Google Voice. Click Voicemail Settings, then click "Voicemail Number which has a number that is apparently my access number and I get,

"Unfortunately your network carrier is currently not supported for automatic voicemail configuration. To use Google Voice as your voicemail provider, please visit the Google Voice Help Center for more information."

Moving on to the phones Google Voice app settings there is nothing really special in there that I can see that applies to your questions. Settings seems pretty sparse.

The google.com/voice settings has my Access number (614)733-####. This was apparently given to me as I don't recall ever seeing it or using it for anything. There is also my registered phone with my cell phone number (419 733-####. Elsewhere, I don't see anything related to your questions either.

Sorry for the dumbassness.

FlyingPJ
Oct 8, 2009
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/07/verizon-to-begin-offering-double-the-data-for-your-buck-tomorrow/

My Sprint contract ends in a couple of weeks and this might make me switch to Verizon. 2GB wasn't enough for me, but I could get by with 4GB no problem. I would love to get this deal when the Galaxy Nexus is released. I'm also assuming this wouldn't be temporary and would last permanently.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

JayKay posted:

So if Verizon is only going to sell the galaxy nexus online, how are people going to try it before buying?

Edit: I do realize its only a rumor, but It just seems like a really odd thing to do to a hyped phone.
Whoa wait what? This is news to me and I've been trying to keep up on Nexus info.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's based on a leaked Verizon roadmap and the assumption that a "w/o" designation means "web only".
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/06/verizon-roadmap-shows-galaxy-nexus-available-online-only-1121-new-xoom-2-on-1130

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Rastor posted:

It's based on a leaked Verizon roadmap and the assumption that a "w/o" designation means "web only".
http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/06/verizon-roadmap-shows-galaxy-nexus-available-online-only-1121-new-xoom-2-on-1130
Huh, the last thing I saw was another leaked roadmap that put it on 11/28 instead of 11/21 so I don't know what to believe.

edit - so that means that the rumored release dates for the Nexus have been November 10, 17, 21, and 28.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, the 11/28 is a marketing roadmap while the link that pegs the 21st is a product launch roadmap. So, they may be both correct. It might launch web only on the 21st and then arrive in stores with an actual marketing push from samsung after black friday.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Sweet god if that data plan promotion ends before the nexus comes out I'm going to throw a fit.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Well, the 11/28 is a marketing roadmap while the link that pegs the 21st is a product launch roadmap. So, they may be both correct. It might launch web only on the 21st and then arrive in stores with an actual marketing push from samsung after black friday.
Ugh, that's still kind of dumb and the wait that week will be awful. I decided a few months ago that I finally want a smartphone, so I waited for the Galaxy S2 and was pretty pissed when Verizon didn't get it. Then I got excited when I heard the Nexus was coming only to get a billion different possible launch dates.

Then I got a good scare on Saturday when my Nokia Intrigue started rebooting constantly and wasn't responding to basic troubleshooting, but luckily the Internet had a solution. Just a few more weeks...

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bobx66 posted:

Sweet god if that data plan promotion ends before the nexus comes out I'm going to throw a fit.

Worst case scenario, can't you get the next best thing the last day of the 4gb promotion (RAZR, Rezound) and bank on having Nexus come out during the 14 day return window? Of course, that's only if 4gb and second best phone is worth the risk of missing out on Nexus and 2gb if it comes out too late.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
No information about how long this promo lasts? I'm assuming until Black Friday?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Everything we know about the data promo right now is leaks, we should have more info once it actually starts tomorrow.

I think this is the most detailed leak so far:
http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-double-data-promo-gets-more-details-20111107/

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

RAZR comes out on 11/11/11 at 11:11:11 AM according to here

quote:

"Verizon Wireless stores nationwide will open on Nov. 11, 2011 at 11:11 a.m. to sell the RAZR. The 11:11:11 is a fun way to commemorate the November launch of the first Droid on the Verizon Wireless network."

And a review

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.

CancerStick posted:

:words:

Forget any/all voicemail settings on your Bionic or any other Android. I've never used them and, honestly, don't know how the gently caress they work.

First and foremost, make sure you have your own, unique, Google Voice number. On http://voice.google.com/, under the left sidebar you should see, toward the bottom, "Your number: (XXX) XXX-XXXX". If you don't see "Your number:" then you need to create a GV number.

Once you have confirmed the above, from your phone, call the following numbers (replacing <GVnumber> for your unique Google Voice number):

First…
*71<GVnumber> [SEND]
then…
*90<GVnumber> [SEND]
finally…
*92<GVnumber> [SEND]

If you're still having trouble, try enabling "Do Not Disturb" mode under the Calls section of GV's Settings.

If you're still having trouble, you're doing something wrong.

SpacedOut fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 8, 2011

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

SpacedOut posted:

Forget any/all voicemail settings on your Bionic or any other Android. I've never used them and, honestly, don't know how the gently caress they work.

First and foremost, make sure you have your own, unique, Google Voice number. On http://voice.google.com/, under the left sidebar you should see, toward the bottom, "Your number: (XXX) XXX-XXXX". If you don't see "Your number:" then you need to create a GV number.

Once you have confirmed the above, from your phone, call the following numbers (replacing <GVnumber> for your unique Google Voice number):

First…
*71<GVnumber> [SEND]
then…
*90<GVnumber> [SEND]
finally…
*92<GVnumber> [SEND]

If you're still having trouble, try enabling "Do Not Disturb" mode under the Calls section of GV's Settings.

If you're still having trouble, you're doing something wrong.

Maybe you can help with my GV problem. Ever since I ported my ATT # to GV, and forwarded it to a Verizon mobile number, I can't receive calls on it at all. I just get a "Welcome to Verizon Wireless" message.

thrannix
Dec 11, 2009
Been rocking the OG Droid since 2009. 11/11/11 is the date my last NE2 is available. RAZR comes out same day. I can't not get that phone!

Anyone else getting a pricing difference on the RAZR? Sometimes it says $249.99, other times $299.99. Both instances exist when I'm signed into my account.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I have a tough decision to make today..

I really like HTC. But the T-Bolt was huge letdown, but this thing screams.

On the other hand, god drat, this Razr is sexy.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 8, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Unless you don't like 4.3 inch phones, it would be pretty stupid to not get the Razr, especially if everything magically lines up like that.

So far the non-removable battery is supposedly a non-issue (although a lot of reviewers said that the Charge's battery life was really good also, and look how that turned out :jerkbag: )

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I've read it both ways really. A couple of reviewers noted that it was good but that LTE still sucks down the juice. My usage habits mean the RAZR isn't even an option for me.

The screen would sway me towards the Rezound personally but the GNex is around the corner so...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here are some thickness comparison shots of the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and a few other phones.

http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/galaxy-nexus-forum/9963-side-side-comparisons-gnex-vs.html

Looks to be about as thick as a Bionic for the most part.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Having played with both now...I am going to pop my Sim in the Rezound. The Razr is going to be limited quantities for a little while, and I'd rather sell it then use it. The Razr seems a little too glossy, and that would drive me nuts. I do like the styling on the Razr though...there are definite call-backs to the old flip phone's design.

Also, The Razr's box has this weird, almost Fuzzy coating on it. Its kind of neat, but a bit of a waste IMHO.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004

Mighty Horse posted:

Having played with both now...I am going to pop my Sim in the Rezound. The Razr is going to be limited quantities for a little while, and I'd rather sell it then use it. The Razr seems a little too glossy, and that would drive me nuts. I do like the styling on the Razr though...there are definite call-backs to the old flip phone's design.

Also, The Razr's box has this weird, almost Fuzzy coating on it. Its kind of neat, but a bit of a waste IMHO.

I'm still on the fence right now into which one to get. My main concern with the Razr is that it might be a little to wide, and the Rezound seems like it is the perfect size. Then again, the thickness of the Razr is extremely enticing. Thoughts?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
I'm trying to piece it together from the various posts here, but can't seem to do it; based on what you think are the most credible rumors, what's the release schedule looking like for the next month or so for VZW smartphones? I'm trying to balance my patience for GNex against my ever-growing rage and frustration with my Droid 1. I know the Razr is dropping on 11/11/11, but what's the latest on the GNex, the Droid 4, Rezound, or anything else that should be on my radar?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Confirmed, official dates:

Razr 11/11/11
Rezound 11/14/11

Speculated with some evidence to back:

Galaxy Nexus 11/21/11 Web Only. Some indications of more of a marketing push after black Friday (in store launch then?)

Speculated with only rumors to back:

Droid 4 December - Jan timeframe

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Bobx66 posted:

Ask me about my $20/mo unlimited 4G data plan. :smug:

fake edit - god, I hope the gnex comes out sooner rather than later, I'm going to throw this POS AT&T iPhone through the floor if it drops one more call.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bull3964 posted:

Confirmed, official dates:

Razr 11/11/11
Rezound 11/14/11

Speculated with some evidence to back:

Galaxy Nexus 11/21/11 Web Only. Some indications of more of a marketing push after black Friday (in store launch then?)

Speculated with only rumors to back:

Droid 4 December - Jan timeframe

I guess I'll just exchange my Bionic for a Prime, and then sell that when the Droid 4 comes out. Can't see a better way to hop and skip my way to a D4 for the minimal amount of money.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

maverick99 posted:

I'm still on the fence right now into which one to get. My main concern with the Razr is that it might be a little to wide, and the Rezound seems like it is the perfect size. Then again, the thickness of the Razr is extremely enticing. Thoughts?

The Rezound is no porker by any means. Its about as thick as the thinnest part of the Bionic. It feels really nice to hold.

The Razr on the other hand is off-putting on how light it is. First thing I instinctively did when I opened the box I was looking for the battery to put in it because its so light...Of course, I can't because its non-removable.

I wouldn't rule out the Razr for its width. It doesn't feel any wider than the Rezound, its nicely tapered on the edges.

I find the display on the Rezound crisper and a bit more colorful than the Razr, plus I just like the Sense UI customizations. Lack of a standard HDMI port is a bummer though.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

I got a Droid X2 after my original X was stolen back in August. The original plan was to hold off till the GNexus came out and make that upgrade, but alas~

Seeing as how it'll have a 300$ (w/ contract pricepoint) does that mean my best offer would be to try some X2 trade-in for 100$ credit, then use an upgrade to get the new phone for 200$ out of pocket (plus contract renewal)? I already spent 200$ on this X2 which has been more trouble than it's worth :/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

I got a Droid X2 after my original X was stolen back in August. The original plan was to hold off till the GNexus came out and make that upgrade, but alas~

Seeing as how it'll have a 300$ (w/ contract pricepoint) does that mean my best offer would be to try some X2 trade-in for 100$ credit, then use an upgrade to get the new phone for 200$ out of pocket (plus contract renewal)? I already spent 200$ on this X2 which has been more trouble than it's worth :/

Do you have an upgrade that you can use?

If you signed a new contract back in august when you got your X2, you probably don't qualify for contract discount pricing right now. In which case, the Galaxy Nexus is likely going to cost $649 going by the off contract price of the Rezound and Razr.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Do you have an upgrade that you can use?

If you signed a new contract back in august when you got your X2, you probably don't qualify for contract discount pricing right now. In which case, the Galaxy Nexus is likely going to cost $649 going by the off contract price of the Rezound and Razr.
No no, I'm on a family plan that had 2 upgrades available back in August. I used one then to replace the stolen X, so I still have another available on standby.

I'm keeping my contract because i'm grandfathered in to unlimited data, I'm just wondering the most price efficient way to upgrade.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

serewit posted:

Ask me about my $20/mo unlimited 4G data plan. :smug:
OK, I'll bite. How do you have a $20/month unlimited plan? My unlimited plan tragically costs 30 of the dollars.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

No no, I'm on a family plan that had 2 upgrades available back in August. I used one then to replace the stolen X, so I still have another available on standby.

I'm keeping my contract because i'm grandfathered in to unlimited data, I'm just wondering the most price efficient way to upgrade.

You can probably get more than $100 selling the X2 on eBay or elsewhere, right? That's the only improvement I see for your plan!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

kalibar posted:

OK, I'll bite. How do you have a $20/month unlimited plan? My unlimited plan tragically costs 30 of the dollars.

Prob same way I got it-there was a loyalty promo sent out last summer to shave $10 off their plan for 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Argh, I hope I'll be able to buy the Nexus when I go home. My parents want to get me a new phone for my birthday/christmas but I'm only going to be home until the 27th.

• Locked thread