Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Old Mulsanne makes sense for not really ever knowing where to brake since what other track requires you to slow to 30MPH from your car's top speed? Not even the Nurburgring can claim that since you have to usually slow for the kink before taking the three sharp corners by the pits.

I usually find that Mulsanne's braking points differ extremely from car to car since it's a near full stop on most corners. The LMP-1 cars are the easiest to drive on LeSarthe since you can drive them so hard into the corners you can afford a little driver error but cars under R3 are not so great since they require very little error in braking distance. Other than of course F thru D class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Old Mulsanne makes sense for not really ever knowing where to brake since what other track requires you to slow to 30MPH from your car's top speed? Not even the Nurburgring can claim that since you have to usually slow for the kink before taking the three sharp corners by the pits.

I usually find that Mulsanne's braking points differ extremely from car to car since it's a near full stop on most corners. The LMP-1 cars are the easiest to drive on LeSarthe since you can drive them so hard into the corners you can afford a little driver error but cars under R3 are not so great since they require very little error in braking distance. Other than of course F thru D class.

I was racing with some SAEG dudes last night at Le Mans, I was using a Ferrari 330 P4 and even after 3 laps I was going into the dirt on every chicane because its braking distance was so abysmally long. I hadn't driven it before so I wasn't sure exactly how much space I'd need but I was consistently underestimating it. It's very good for the long straights though!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's why they added in the chicanes, so cars aren't at their top speed at the end of the straight anymore. The straight just makes no sense in the first place, since cars in the 50s and 60s were maybe hitting 200. You're just at max speed for half the straight, who thought that was a good idea?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Cojawfee posted:

That's why they added in the chicanes, so cars aren't at their top speed at the end of the straight anymore. The straight just makes no sense in the first place, since cars in the 50s and 60s were maybe hitting 200. You're just at max speed for half the straight, who thought that was a good idea?

No, the chicanes are retarded.

Instead of having the opportunity to have a fatal 200mph crash once - at the end of the straight - you now have THREE such opportunities.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cojawfee posted:

Going really fast for a long time is awesome. Also the kink is terrifying on Old Mulsanne, since you are going full throttle when you reach it.

Old Mulsanne is the best track in the game.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Cannot Find Server posted:

Going really fast for a long time is awesome. Also the kink is terrifying on Old Mulsanne, since you are going full throttle when you reach it.

Old Mulsanne is the best track in the game.

Be my Facebook friend and post this as a status so I can Like it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What's the strategy to those long straights followed by hairpin turns? Do y'all just memorize where to brake with different types of cars? I felt bad about racing online the other night because I kept forgetting to slow down early enough and slamming into innocent cars at a jillion miles per hour.

At the risk of being obvious, if you're unsure watch their brakelights. If you brake when you see them then you're not hitting anything.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I know you guys said something about Group B cars but I'm hard at hearing. :3:

zne
Jun 2, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Another reason would be the fact that FIA decided they weren't going to sanction events on tracks with straights longer than 2km.. so, they split that one 6km straight into three... Problem solved!

Still, you'd think they could have offered atleast on race with the old mulsanne
in career mode :/

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Deeters posted:

DeltaVictor12. I put lljk and gish in the description since I figured goons would like it. The Bluth Co. logo itself is on there too, but right now it's orange instead of red.

And sold. Thank you, I appreciate it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

My personal highlight from all that lag we had the other night.

I hope this happens more often because those races were the best worst things.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
There's just something about black and red.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Man I had a really lovely night this past weekend. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the race I was sucking so bad.

That and I kept picking the worst car, every time. I suck poo poo at tuning, but my tuned cars are miles ahead of these lovely rear end gift cars the game keeps making me choose.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Just sent a request to join LLJK - gt N1CK S0APD1SH

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

I was loving around trying to make a movie and I grabbed this:

I may take another shot at the movie, it didn't come out the first time. Are you guys taking multiple shots and splicing them together for some of these?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I, for one, am definitely looking forward to the 2.5Hr Goon Mans race coming up. (As long as I don't have work at the time.) In any case, I am working on making my car into a freaking monster on Le Mans.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Friends, racers, goontrymen. Lend me your eyeballs.

I'm here to solicit your... enthusiasm. The idea below was born during a conversation with Sunday Punch, on IRC, and he suggested that my photo idea might be something nice to post about in the thread. Here goes.

Background: I run a motoring website here in South Africa (haha! we have internet! and white people!) and one of the features is the cheesily-named "Wallpaper Wednesday". We also have Sideways Saturday, but that's another story.

I digress.

In the past we've had themes for the selection of posted wallpapers: burnouts, drifts, big air, etc. In the coming two weeks I'd like to do something different. It's fairly obvious what comes next, but in case you lick windows and shove peas up your nose I'll spell it out: I would like to feature some of your bigshot images in an upcoming Wallpaper Wednesday. Probably six, to start with, and maybe a second round of six if there's a favourable response.

Why would you do this? Well, to get me lots of hits and make me rich and famous. Obviously. But seriously, I don't make any money from the site and we do the podcast for fun. I also get to drive nice cars. Yes, I've driven a Sandero. And a Cee apostrophe D. Hate me? Get in line.

But seriously, I will give full credit (forum or real name) to those who submit an image. If you have a site or something you'd like to plug, I'll insert that too. You can watermark the image if you so choose.
I will also run a poll and have people vote for their favourite submission of the initial six. The most popular photo will get a code for 800xbux (or nearest equal denomination for your region - I only know of sites that email US and EU codes) that way you can buy yourself the next Forza car pack or that My Little Pony XBLA title you've been eyeing for the past few weeks.

If you think it's a good or poo poo idea, please let me know. We can go ahead and select a theme for the cars, and you can call shotgun on a specific car. Ideally we don't have two photos of the same car. Thanks for your time.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Would we be striving for photo realistic imagines? Either way, I'm in.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate
Captain Hair, thank you. This has made my week.

edit: I have bad memory...

TravBot fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 7, 2011

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ak Gara posted:

Would we be striving for photo realistic imagines? Either way, I'm in.

Ideally something that shows off how good the game looks, I guess. Whether it's a detail shot of something on a car or a panoramic setting with a car winding up Fujimi. In fact, yeah. Let's just aim for "fairly realistic or good looking" photos this time. If enough people post pics, even if just to liven up this thread, we can make the next one something like "action shots".

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hello Spaceman posted:

The most popular photo will get a code for 800xbux (or nearest equal denomination for your region - I only know of sites that email US and EU codes) that way you can buy yourself the next Forza car pack or that My Little Pony XBLA title you've been eyeing for the past few weeks.

Hey if I get those 800xbux it's going to the XBLA Daytona USA (already have the season pass).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hello Spaceman posted:

Ideally something that shows off how good the game looks, I guess. Whether it's a detail shot of something on a car or a panoramic setting with a car winding up Fujimi. In fact, yeah. Let's just aim for "fairly realistic or good looking" photos this time. If enough people post pics, even if just to liven up this thread, we can make the next one something like "action shots".
I'm lacking bigshot images, but I've got some pretty nice looking regular ones, will that do?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Hey if I get those 800xbux it's going to the XBLA Daytona USA (already have the season pass).

ROLL-ING STAAAAAAART

(yes it's still just as fun as you remember)

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Hello Spaceman posted:

So no artsy fartsy shots?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Cross posting pics from a Datsun 510 spec race with the SAEG crew (click for biggie)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Jarf posted:

Cross posting pics from a Datsun 510 spec race with the SAEG crew (click for biggie)
I need to get in on this, you guys do weekday races?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Cute as heck posted:

So no artsy fartsy shots?

Realistic artsy should be cool! Not sepia though. Because it's not 1994.

Bentai, I'd like to say "Sure, regular images" but I'm unsure how well they'd scale on bigger desktops. If you think they look okay as 1280x720 images on a desktop with a higher resolution, then sure, I'll take them :)

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cool idea, Hello Spaceman!

Just for the record, imgur unpaid accounts compress those large shots and add some jpeg artifacting; abload.de does not compress them so I'd use that for hosting the bigshot images.

Also I stumbled across some F1 review shows from the early 80's, definitely interesting to see the evolution of the sport from year to year, and compare the insanity of that era to the safety and restriction of the current.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I think fullsize bigshots is good if you're going to print them, but shrinking down to 1080p is a good compromise. Not that 540p is bad, mind you. Saving as a png helps with quality. sorry for 9.6 megs of photos.

2160p

1080p

540p

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
I just put this in my Xbox 360. Expect huge table breaking images of the latest wacky zany decals I downloaded along with Youtube videos of me ramming into a million dollar race car in a humvee.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

Ak Gara posted:

540p

You guys can tell that's a photo in the background, right?

This illusion doesn't work very well for me. It's worst in the home spaces, where Forza copied GT4's awful "tiny 10-foot room with parallax walls" thing. The Alpine track is a great track and everything, but if look past the 3d hills they did model then I'm unimpressed by the matte painting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TannhauserGate posted:

You guys can tell that's a photo in the background, right?

Yeah, they kind of skimped on the skyboxes this time around. It was much more difficult to tell it was a photo in FM3.. I assume this has to do with optimizing for 16 cars and maybe the new lighting system.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
There's not nearly enough sexy, sexy muscle car pictures in this thread :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Songbearer posted:

There's not nearly enough sexy, sexy muscle car pictures in this thread :colbert:

I hope this helps. :kiddo: I don't take the best screenshots in the world, but if anyone has any requests for specific cars, I can fill them.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
I was enjoying that Reasonable Priced Car challenge I was hosting with LLJK and I'm super bummed my power went out and cut into what little play time I had tonight :saddowns:

Anyway, here's what I've been driving:

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight
Well then, this is a first for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RX29pT2Ejo

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

Were there any rules to that photo competition thing?

Also, why doesn't anyone ever set the time to "night" when I race online?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Cute as heck posted:

PICS.

Were there any rules to that photo competition thing?

Also, why doesn't anyone ever set the time to "night" when I race online?

MORE PICS

I didn't stipulate any specific rules up front, so I won't be a dick about it. But I am going to have to (in the name of fairness) select only one photo from those who've submitted multiple shots. And they're great shots. I'd like to feature them all but it will skew the results :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Cute as heck posted:

stuff

Oh it's on.

[edit] This is what the game puts out, which needs a lot of work.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 8, 2011

• Locked thread