Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Argh, I hope I'll be able to buy the Nexus when I go home. My parents want to get me a new phone for my birthday/christmas but I'm only going to be home until the 27th.

If that timeframe ends up causing problems and they're willing to do it, they should be able to order it online/at the store and have it shipped to you. My parents did that with my current Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Im annoyed as poo poo. I lost my Incredible 1 the other day, and since I had a contract upgrade I went to the store and decided to get an LTE phone. Picked the charge after reading some light reviews, and wanted the AMOLED.

Worst decision ever. My Incredible was so much better than this brown-menu, Froyo running, incapable to connect to even 3G piece of poo poo. And after reading through this thread it seems the the rest of the LTE phones aside from the Bionic aren't worth it either. So, I ask you, what is the most reliable 3G phone (Incredible 2 and iPhone 4S come to mind) that I could get? Bedides from the screen, the Charge is absolute garbage.

PS - can I tell the store employee to gently caress off when he asks me for the $35 return fee?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Im annoyed as poo poo. I lost my Incredible 1 the other day, and since I had a contract upgrade I went to the store and decided to get an LTE phone. Picked the charge after reading some light reviews, and wanted the AMOLED.

Worst decision ever. My Incredible was so much better than this brown-menu, Froyo running, incapable to connect to even 3G piece of poo poo. And after reading through this thread it seems the the rest of the LTE phones aside from the Bionic aren't worth it either. So, I ask you, what is the most reliable 3G phone (Incredible 2 and iPhone 4S come to mind) that I could get? Bedides from the screen, the Charge is absolute garbage.

PS - can I tell the store employee to gently caress off when he asks me for the $35 return fee?

Do you have an old flip phone you could hobble by with for the next week or so? The RAZR and Rezound are both dropping within the next 7 days, and the Nexus at some point after that. Those will be a lot more future-proof than the Inc 2.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

Do you have an old flip phone you could hobble by with for the next week or so? The RAZR and Rezound are both dropping within the next 7 days, and the Nexus at some point after that. Those will be a lot more future-proof than the Inc 2.

That sounds good, so the return will take back the new 2 year contract i just signed as well?

edit: If I can't get an old phone what device should I exchange my charge with? Something that will be good to resell?

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 9, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

TenaciousTomato posted:

That sounds good, so the return will take back the new 2 year contract i just signed as well?

edit: If I can't get an old phone what device should I exchange my charge with? Something that will be good to resell?

The RAZR is coming out Friday I believe, just bear with it until then if possible. That'd be probably your best bet.

Otherwise, go with the Bionic.

EDIT: Pretty sure returning your phone gives you your upgrade back.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I think the whole world will be able to take a huge sigh of relief once we get a confirmed release date for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm so sick of speculation :/

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

TenaciousTomato posted:

Remember, unless you use an old smart phone you will use your unlimited data when you do the temp swap. Craigslist a Pixi or Droid Eris for $50.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TenaciousTomato posted:

Probably not. Just pay the fee, $35 is nothing for 2 years of a phone you actually want to own.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Probably not. Just pay the fee, $35 is nothing for 2 years of a phone you actually want to own.

Exactly. Think of it as paying for a loaner phone for up to $14 days while you wait for the RAZR or Rezound.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

TenaciousTomato posted:

Yeah, tough timing. I got the Charge back in July and while I love the hardware, the stock software is just incredibly broken. For what it's worth you can actually upgrade it to Samsung's Gingerbread ROM if you grab the leak off of XDA, and to its credit it improves the thing immensely. Like, from "not even loving usable" to "yeah I mean I guess I can handle this or whatever."

In any case, I ended up getting a Fascinate dirt cheap off of craigslist because it runs CyanogenMod and is otherwise pretty much a Charge underneath. I really hate giving up LTE, but Samsung's poop-and-pumpkin theme, launcher redraws, and erratic battery life just wear on you after awhile. The performance disparity between what Samsung/Verizon are shipping and what the hardware in the Fascinate/Charge is capable of is absolutely obnoxious -- the Fascinate was probably twice as disgusting at first, but with CM7 it runs circles around the Charge and pretty much any stock Android phone in Verizon's lineup, for that matter.

In a year once its been brought to its knees by the hacking community and runs some hypothetical future edition of ICS-based CyanogenMod, the Charge is actually going to be a pretty solid LTE option. Today, it kinda makes me want to throw up.

SpacedOut
Dec 1, 2004

It's got planets and stuff.
FYI: Stores in my region will be opening an hour late on Friday for the launch of the Razr. O_o

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

TenaciousTomato posted:

If you can gather up your strength to wade through the shithole that is XDA, the OTA for the Charge has leaked early. I've been running it for a while now and it's a really huge upgrade from the EE4 FroYo build.

GPS is (almost) instant inside the car on a rainy day, 3G/4G handoffs (eHPRD, I believe) are handled MUCH better, and are almost instant now (the main problem with totally dropping the data connection).

I unplugged at 6:30am EST and I'm seeing a 2%/hour drain with light usage (Drag Racing while on the shitter ate up about 5% so far).

Custom ROMs that are based on this build are already coming through, which will allow you to get rid of the brown&orange that everyone hates.

With the EP4x build, the Charge is finally a really good phone.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you can gather up your strength to wade through the shithole that is XDA, the OTA for the Charge has leaked early. I've been running it for a while now and it's a really huge upgrade from the EE4 FroYo build.

GPS is (almost) instant inside the car on a rainy day, 3G/4G handoffs (eHPRD, I believe) are handled MUCH better, and are almost instant now (the main problem with totally dropping the data connection).

I unplugged at 6:30am EST and I'm seeing a 2%/hour drain with light usage (Drag Racing while on the shitter ate up about 5% so far).

Custom ROMs that are based on this build are already coming through, which will allow you to get rid of the brown&orange that everyone hates.

With the EP4x build, the Charge is finally a really good phone.

The leaks and custom roms make it useable, but I still wouldn't say "really good." My biggest complaint is huge performance hits during multitasking. Listening to music, looking at twitter, and occasionally clicking links that open up Firefox really starts to slow things down for me, sometimes totally freezing up. Hopefully more polish on the roms will help, but I'm not sure. I will switch over to one of the new EP4P roms in the next day or two and see!

Besides slowdown during multitasking, though, it really isn't a bad phone, and if it had more ram and dual-core (hello Charge 2/GNex!), I think I could live with it til my next upgrade in a year and a half.

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

My X2 was an utter mess before I went over it with custom roms and crap. Most people don't want to waste the time wading through XDA's unclear instructions and redundant information; but I managed to SBF, root, and custom flash my phone to a stylish, responsive, bloat free device.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

The leaks and custom roms make it useable, but I still wouldn't say "really good." My biggest complaint is huge performance hits during multitasking. Listening to music, looking at twitter, and occasionally clicking links that open up Firefox really starts to slow things down for me, sometimes totally freezing up. Hopefully more polish on the roms will help, but I'm not sure. I will switch over to one of the new EP4P roms in the next day or two and see!

Besides slowdown during multitasking, though, it really isn't a bad phone, and if it had more ram and dual-core (hello Charge 2/GNex!), I think I could live with it til my next upgrade in a year and a half.

EP4 makes a really huge difference. I'd definitely consider it really good at this point, particularly in light of it's rapidly-becoming-dated SGS1 innards.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

EP4 makes a really huge difference. I'd definitely consider it really good at this point, particularly in light of it's rapidly-becoming-dated SGS1 innards.

Good to hear! I am definitely keeping this phone for at least 2-3 more months, so I am still excited about the improvements and possibility of finally getting a 2.3 OTA and source. Are you on stock EP4 or one of the custom roms? Anything besides Humble on EP4 yet?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I bought the Charge on the 2nd so I should have till November 16th to return it. The Rezound comes out on the 14th. I really want to to get that, but waiting till the last couple days to exchange my phone worries me. If VZW makes you preorder the Rezound and doesn't have them in store on release date I might go Friday and get the Razr.

edit: and reading about the Pentile matrix display I'm kind of iffy on spending $300 for the Razr. Going to wait till the 14th and try for the Rezound. Can anyone chime in and tell me if I can go to the store at 4pm the day the Rezound is released and have no problem exchanging?

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 9, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Boffo Beach Babe!!! posted:

My X2 was an utter mess before I went over it with custom roms and crap. Most people don't want to waste the time wading through XDA's unclear instructions and redundant information; but I managed to SBF, root, and custom flash my phone to a stylish, responsive, bloat free device.

What ROM are you using?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Can anyone recommend a specific feature phone I could get for cheap used somewhere? My mom's new car has Bluetooth sync but her Knack doesn't. Literally her requirements are "easy to use" and "Bluetooth".

Boffo Beach Babe!!!
Mar 7, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What ROM are you using?
Eclipse

I've since customized my UI a whole bunch and bought some apps to replace the stock stuff, but all in all it's nice in that the rom cleans out all the bloat and tries to give some CM7 aesthetic touches.

Also, for the sake of loving with things I also flashed in Speedy scripts which have helped out a bit with battery life.

The downside though is that the 2.3.4 update to the X2 misreports battery life! It'll drain down to like 80% in an hour, then slow, and if you reboot it'll jump to something like 92%. Madness.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Ciabatta posted:

Good to hear! I am definitely keeping this phone for at least 2-3 more months, so I am still excited about the improvements and possibility of finally getting a 2.3 OTA and source. Are you on stock EP4 or one of the custom roms? Anything besides Humble on EP4 yet?

I'm on the stock, bloated, deodexed release right now. Once Humble 4.5 it's out of RC, I'll switch to it.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can anyone recommend a specific feature phone I could get for cheap used somewhere? My mom's new car has Bluetooth sync but her Knack doesn't. Literally her requirements are "easy to use" and "Bluetooth".

LG Accolade. Should be able to find these around for cheap.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Just got an email stating the the double 4G Data promo is only for people who activated after 10/25.

Which is complete bullshit. If you missed out on unlmited and bought before the 25th, don't take no for an answer if they try to keep you from getting the new promotion. Switch to a dumbphone and then switch back if you have to.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I called Verizon and told them I wanted a different phone. I have an X2 on its 3rd replacement.

They're sending me a Droid 3. I'm so happy to ditch this piece of poo poo phone. My friends Droid 3 is blazing fast compared to my x2 and he says it hasn't randomly rebooted in weeks.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Is the Bionic a good phone or am I going to have disconnect issues with data? My OG Droid is getting dead on me.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

therealjon_ posted:

Is the Bionic a good phone or am I going to have disconnect issues with data? My OG Droid is getting dead on me.

Why would you get a bionic over a razr at this point?

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Not entirely sure that this is the right thread to ask but I see there is a similar discussion going on.

I currently have a Droid X (since release day) and while I really like it, it's starting to have some issues. For instance, recently I've been not receiving some text messages while other text messages report as sent but aren't. I don't know how to resolve that and I can't find anything on Google. For the record, I've rooted and flashed several roms, currently running CM4DX-GB.

So I've been thinking of upgrading anyway as this phone has certainly taken a beating. I was hoping to hold out until my contract was near the end for (what I assume would be?) a better upgrade price.

What I want to know is this: Should I try and hold out until June/July for the next big thing or should I go ahead and look into the next Droid phone? Is there anything bigger/badder slated to come out within the next 6-7 months.

If I should upgrade, I assume the best option right now for power and speed is the DROID RAZR as opposed to the Bionic?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you get a bionic over a razr at this point?

Different screen, ability to add extended battery are the two main ones.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I called Verizon and told them I wanted a different phone. I have an X2 on its 3rd replacement.

They're sending me a Droid 3. I'm so happy to ditch this piece of poo poo phone. My friends Droid 3 is blazing fast compared to my x2 and he says it hasn't randomly rebooted in weeks.

You do realize they have the same processor, right?

therealjon_ posted:

Some people see this problem, some don't. fix is on its way. Seems to happen less if you leave Wifi on all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, word is the Razr doesn't suffer from it and I would expect the Razr software to be the next Bionic revision since they share pretty much the same hardware internally.

I've had a few weird data issues, but it's hard to say at this point how much of it is the phone and how much of it is Verizon monkeying around with their LTE network (especially since I know this area is undergoing an expansion.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Mighty Horse posted:

You do realize they have the same processor, right?

No they don't and the droid 3 has a newer version of blur that is hardware accelerated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the Droid 3 is a Bionic/Razr with less memory and no LTE.

The X2 is a tegra 2 phone stands out as the only non OMAP phone in Moto's Verizon lineup.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JerkyBunion posted:

Not entirely sure that this is the right thread to ask but I see there is a similar discussion going on.

I currently have a Droid X (since release day) and while I really like it, it's starting to have some issues. For instance, recently I've been not receiving some text messages while other text messages report as sent but aren't. I don't know how to resolve that and I can't find anything on Google. For the record, I've rooted and flashed several roms, currently running CM4DX-GB.

So I've been thinking of upgrading anyway as this phone has certainly taken a beating. I was hoping to hold out until my contract was near the end for (what I assume would be?) a better upgrade price.

What I want to know is this: Should I try and hold out until June/July for the next big thing or should I go ahead and look into the next Droid phone? Is there anything bigger/badder slated to come out within the next 6-7 months.

If I should upgrade, I assume the best option right now for power and speed is the DROID RAZR as opposed to the Bionic?

There is always something bigger/badder coming out within a couple months, and most definitely within 6-7. Supposedly by March or April we'll be seeing the first quad core phones, and by June/July we will probably have one on Verizon even if they don't initially launch for us. If you aren't at 20 months (right?) into your 24 month contract, you won't get any upgrade subsidy. If you upgrade before then, you're looking at paying full retail price or buying used.

Your options right now (edit: durr, right now as in within the next month or so) are pretty much the RAZR, HTC Rezound, and Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Android nerd opinion is go for the Nexus, but RAZR and Rezound also seem to be good. If you do decide to upgrade early, you should probably wait at least a few weeks until each of these phones is out so you can get the real deal on bugs, performance, battery life, etc., that the initial reviews won't detail.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Haven't read the whole thread, but hopefully this is the right place to ask...

I'm thinking about upgrading my OG moto droid, but my zune is dying as well and I'd like to combine both devices if possible.

Is there some new hotshit phone coming out with storage bigger than 32gb? Do they even make cards bigger than that?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you want the most storage, right now you are probably going to want to go with the Razr and then add a 32gb sd card. That's realistically going going to net you 40gb of space though if it's partitioned up like my bionic (only 8gb media partition out of the 16gb internal storage). Other than that, there isn't much better for options.

Cards greater than 32gb are going to require a different specification that just realy isn't widely supported right now. The best solution would be to have a phone with 32gb internal storage with an SD card slot, but there aren't any on the horizon right now.

In other news, it seems the Razr has less bloatware than normal for a Verizon handset and more of the stuff that is there can be uninstalled or hidden away.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/11/10/droid-razr-bloatware-more-than-ever-can-be-removed-the-rest-easily-hidden/

This further reinforces my opinion that Moto has been building these later devices to transition to ICS more and more easily (since that's actually a requirement for ICS, all apps can be uninstalled.)

Unaccounted
Jul 13, 2007
http://youtu.be/DoydLCyBwEg

I made something... awful that I immediately thought of when watching a Razr commercial today. I think I'm upset at Moto for releasing another phone so soon after my much anticipated Bionic.

Wait for it, by the way, and tell me you didn't think about this too.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Really don't understand why people get upset over this. It's been happening with all phones, but especially the Android/Verizon lineup.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ghostnuke posted:

Haven't read the whole thread, but hopefully this is the right place to ask...

I'm thinking about upgrading my OG moto droid, but my zune is dying as well and I'd like to combine both devices if possible.

Is there some new hotshit phone coming out with storage bigger than 32gb? Do they even make cards bigger than that?

iPhone 4S has a 64GB option.

Edit: I love my Android but none of them have even started to touch the music integration Apple has.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

iPhone 4S has a 64GB option.
At a silly-expensive price. The margin on that model is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rent posted:

Really don't understand why people get upset over this. It's been happening with all phones, but especially the Android/Verizon lineup.

It has gotten worse recently. I can absolutely see how someone could get upset.

• Locked thread