Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Mandalay posted:

I just took Individual (206) & Corporate (207) Tax this summer. Huie is a good prof, really liked her.

But as I told Reztes in a PM, I'm bouncing between colleges because they don't seem to always offer what I want to take when I want it. So I've got a few units here, a few units there...an AA doesn't really matter to me since I've got a bachelor's from Berkeley. Just need those 24 units!

I assume because you guys said "OC" that means you're in California and you've probably researched the exam and certification requirements. But, just a word of advice to those in other states (I'm in MA, so I"m speaking from that background) your credits from a CC need to transfer into a 4-year school (i.e. you take CC classes for extra credits while you're still enrolled at a 4-year school as opposed to taking them after you graduate). In MA and some other states, after you graduate from a 4-year school you need to get your credits from another 4-year school. So for example, I only needed 17 more credits to be eligible for certification when I graduated from college. Instead of getting an MSA I wanted to take CC classes on the cheap for the extra credits, but instead had to take online classes at a 4-year state school since the CC credits wouldn't have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
In a similar vein, I'm looking at dropping out of my MSA program after the spring semester to work full-time in accounting under a CPA (have the job offer already, I just need to decide whether I want to go for it). I'm in California, so I can easily take a couple of additional CC classes while I'm working to finish up the 24 accounting and 24 business credits to qualify for the CPA exam. After the educational requirements are out of the way, I can study for/take the CPA sections while finishing up my work experience. I've quadruple-checked the California CPA requirements, and it seems that this is a viable thing to do.

My main question is, should I do it? Factoring in tuition, rent, and the opportunity cost from not working, staying in the program would probably cost me around $65,000 next year. I'm more than okay with not working in the Big 4 or doing anything super ambitious, but would not having an accounting-related degree (Poli Sci bachelors, oops) be an issue with employers if I have my CPA license?

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
Take the job and get your license. Once you have those letters at the end of your name, nobody will care what your Bachelor degree is unless it is a degree in rape or something.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007

Tiax Rules All posted:

In a similar vein, I'm looking at dropping out of my MSA program after the spring semester to work full-time in accounting under a CPA (have the job offer already, I just need to decide whether I want to go for it). I'm in California, so I can easily take a couple of additional CC classes while I'm working to finish up the 24 accounting and 24 business credits to qualify for the CPA exam. After the educational requirements are out of the way, I can study for/take the CPA sections while finishing up my work experience. I've quadruple-checked the California CPA requirements, and it seems that this is a viable thing to do.

Just make sure that you will be eligible to receive your license before January 1st, 2014. If you will have 150 semester units (including your 24 in acccounting and 24 in business) and one year of experience under a CPA or 120 semester units and two years of experience under a CPA before 2014, then you will be okay. If you won't meet either of those requirements, you will basically be forced to go back to school to meet the new education requirements.

After December 31, 2013, all candidates in CA applying for a CPA license will be required to have 150 semester units. 20 of these additional units must be in "accounting study" and 10 will have be in ethics related courses. These requirements technically have not been approved yet, but it's pretty much a done deal at this point.

From what you said it sounds like you will have 150 units and a year of experience before the deadline, but you might be cutting it pretty close.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
I should be fine under the new track though, no? None of my undergrad courses were in accounting, so out of necessity I'll need at least 24 accounting-related courses anyways.

Mush Mushi posted:

20 of these additional units must be in "accounting study" and 10 will have be in ethics related courses. These requirements technically have not been approved yet, but it's pretty much a done deal at this point.

Is there a source for this? I've looked here and here, and I don't see anything mentioning that. Also, is the ethics requirement for licensing this?

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
Check out this page

Specifically

quote:

What will be the educational requirements for CPA licensure beginning January 1, 2014?

Effective January 1, 2014, you will need to have met the following educational requirements to obtain a California CPA license:
Baccalaureate degree
150 semester units
24 semester units of accounting subjects
24 semester units of business-related subjects
20 semester units of accounting study
10 semester units of ethics study

The 20 semester units of accounting study and 10 semester units of ethics study are new educational requirements effective January 1, 2014.

This "tip sheet" basically lays out the proposed education requirements. Yeah, it sucks. I know a lot of people set to start full time next fall who will be scrambling to pass the CPA exam before the deadline, and even more people still don't realize that the changes will affect them. The firms themselves are just starting to get a handle on how to treat this.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
So that'd total 78 accounting/business semester units? The accounting subjects and the accounting study don't stack, for instance?

This is infuriating. Why on earth would the calcpa.org, which pops up as the first google result for "california cpa requirements," not mention this? In fact, they go so far as to provide a list of post January 1, 2014 requirements which doesn't include any of the additional educational requirements. Seriously, they explicitly tell you that the only additional requirement is 150 units. It's unbelievable.

Looks like it's time to drop out and bust my rear end to get my CPA before 2014.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
From what I've been told, they don't stack. I'm not sure why calcpa doesn't mention the requirements on their page--maybe because the changes aren't approved yet?

I know in some other states that have made similar changes to education requirements, candidates could become licensed under the old rules if they had passed one or more parts of the CPA exam before the deadline. So far, CA hasn't added anything like this to the law. You need the education, work experience, and passed all four parts of the exam before 2014 to come in under the old rules. One can hope though.

Like you said, if you work your rear end off, finish your 150 hours and pass the exam, you'll be able to beat the deadline.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

I can't believe I only just found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnFk4jnV5Es

SupermanIsDead
Sep 29, 2006

OBEY AUTHORITY
I just wanted to say that the CA, CMA, and CGA are all merging into one entity: CPA. So it won't make a difference which title you have now because in 10 years there will only be one accounting title in Canada.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SupermanIsDead posted:

I just wanted to say that the CA, CMA, and CGA are all merging into one entity: CPA. So it won't make a difference which title you have now because in 10 years there will only be one accounting title in Canada.

Eh? I don't see anything about the CMA merging into the CPA here: http://www.imanet.org/ima_home.aspx

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Mandalay posted:

Eh? I don't see anything about the CMA merging into the CPA here: http://www.imanet.org/ima_home.aspx

Wrong country.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

SupermanIsDead posted:

Are you just speculating or do you have a reliable source because I doubt that will be the case.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Aqualung posted:

Wrong country.

IMA is a worldwide organization :colbert:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So, I'm about to finish babby's first accounting course, Financial Accounting. The professor has lots of credentials, and I'm getting an A or A+ in the course, so I guess I'm wondering what kinds of jobs would I be qualified to take? I assume the most basic/entry level kinds of things, but I'm just curious where to get started.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Turkeybone posted:

So, I'm about to finish babby's first accounting course, Financial Accounting. The professor has lots of credentials, and I'm getting an A or A+ in the course, so I guess I'm wondering what kinds of jobs would I be qualified to take? I assume the most basic/entry level kinds of things, but I'm just curious where to get started.
If you're talking about industry, any basic/entry level accounting job can be done by someone off the street.
For a public internship/job, they tended to want you to have Intermediate I.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Would something like this look good on a resume? http://cwfphilly.org/

edit: I have no idea if I want to do tax in the future, so assume I am applying to a non-tax accounting position.

abagofcheetos fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 18, 2011

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Harry posted:

If you're talking about industry, any basic/entry level accounting job can be done by someone off the street.
For a public internship/job, they tended to want you to have Intermediate I.

Thanks for the response -- can you tell me (or point me to a website/etc) as to what encompasses "Intermediate I"?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

In my experience, Intermediate I is usually the in-depth course on assets whilst Intermediate II is the in-depth course on liabilities and equity. Your mileage may vary.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Missing Donut posted:

In my experience, Intermediate I is usually the in-depth course on assets whilst Intermediate II is the in-depth course on liabilities and equity. Your mileage may vary.

Heh.. well the class pretty much went over all of these things, though I guess not really in great detail.

course syllabus posted:

After completing this course, students will:
1. Perform the accounting process that records the historical exchange transactions of a business entity over time: i.e., make journal entries to record transactions, post them to the general ledger, record adjusting journal entries, prepare appropriate trial balances, and closing entries.
2. Prepare and interpret the Statement of Financial Position.
3. Prepare and interpret the Income Statement.
4. Prepare and interpret the Statement of Retained Earnings and the Statement of Stockholders’ Equity.
5. Prepare and interpret the Statement of Cash Flow using the Direct Method.
6. Prepare and interpret the Statement of Cash Flow using the Indirect Method.
7. Compute and interpret basic financial ratios.

We spend about two classes on each chapter.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Turkeybone posted:

Thanks for the response -- can you tell me (or point me to a website/etc) as to what encompasses "Intermediate I"?

Kieso was the book used in my intermediate courses for my Masters and from what I gather it's pretty much the standard for Intermediate Accounting I and II.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Mandalay posted:

IMA is a worldwide organization :colbert:
Yeah I know but I doubt the combo of CGA, CMA and CA exists outside of Canada.

Turkeybone posted:

Heh.. well the class pretty much went over all of these things, though I guess not really in great detail.

What you're talking about is bookkeeping - something you don't ever want to make a career out of. Ever.

You don't really get a taste or real accounting until the end of Intermediate I. That Kieso textbook someone linked is pretty good but even that doesn't get into the actual complexities of accounting. If you're curious, I suggest you try to see what the next course in the accounting program is at your university and go from there.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Aqualung posted:

That Kieso textbook someone linked is pretty good but even that doesn't get into the actual complexities of accounting. If you're curious, I suggest you try to see what the next course in the accounting program is at your university and go from there.

Managerial Accounting, the next course posted:

This course focuses on the use of accounting information for management decision making and control. Topics include product costing, budgeting, management decision making, and control systems. There will be one common final exam at the end of the semester.

Alright -- this seems to be a "what do you do with this info" kind of class, which I suppose is the logical next step.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

The SituAsian posted:

Kieso was the book used in my intermediate courses for my Masters and from what I gather it's pretty much the standard for Intermediate Accounting I and II.

I'm using this book right now, Intermediate 1

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
I'm hoping that after passing 4 parts of the CPA Exam (I have 3 down already, but AUD doesn't look so scary) that I could get a good public accounting job. I want a big 4, but that ship has probably sailed until I get licensed.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

whatupdet posted:

Are you just speculating or do you have a reliable source because I doubt that will be the case.

The three designations have already agreed to merge in Quebec.

It's being seriously discussed by the CA and CMA organizations elsewhere in Canada, and the CGAs have joined talks in at least one province. It's going to be a bit of a process, but I think eventually the designations will merge if only because public accounting firms are afraid of more regulation.

I'm working on my CA right now and I'm all for the merger provided it's handled well and the rigor of the qualification processes for the various designations isn't degraded. However, I think calling it a CPA is really stupid because a) it's going to stand for Chartered Professional Accountant (as opposed to Certified Public Accountant in the US), which adds to confusion rather than reducing it, and b) the qualification process for all three designations is arguably more rigorous than the CPA designation in the US, and it cheapens the brand.

Buskas fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 18, 2011

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Aqualung posted:

You don't really get a taste or real accounting until the end of Intermediate I. That Kieso textbook someone linked is pretty good but even that doesn't get into the actual complexities of accounting. If you're curious, I suggest you try to see what the next course in the accounting program is at your university and go from there.

How far is the Kieso book from the CPA exam? I'm at page ~1150 now (Intermediate III) and I'm really not sure how much longer I want to be studying this. Am I ready to go into a 9 month Becker program?

For reference, I'm just kind of studying accounting for fun--I have a day job with not much overlap.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Mandalay posted:

studying accounting for fun

:stare:

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Mandalay posted:

How far is the Kieso book from the CPA exam? I'm at page ~1150 now (Intermediate III) and I'm really not sure how much longer I want to be studying this. Am I ready to go into a 9 month Becker program?

For reference, I'm just kind of studying accounting for fun--I have a day job with not much overlap.

I don't know to be honest, I'm from Canada and here the Kieso book is great for when I was still in school but even if you knew it word for word it would not be enough for the CA exams.

I'm guessing the same thing applies in your case; the book is great for the first time you cover the subject but not so much for professional exams.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember

Buskas posted:

The three designations have already agreed to merge in Quebec.

It's being seriously discussed by the CA and CMA organizations elsewhere in Canada, and the CGAs have joined talks in at least one province. It's going to be a bit of a process, but I think eventually the designations will merge if only because public accounting firms are afraid of more regulation.

I'm working on my CA right now and I'm all for the merger provided it's handled well and the rigor of the qualification processes for the various designations isn't degraded. However, I think calling it a CPA is really stupid because a) it's going to stand for Chartered Professional Accountant (as opposed to Certified Public Accountant in the US), which adds to confusion rather than reducing it, and b) the qualification process for all three designations is arguably more rigorous than the CPA designation in the US, and it cheapens the brand.
I guess I'm surprised because I recall the CA & CMA squashed the idea of the two of them merging not long ago, maybe a year ago? I was also caught off guard by CPA as I wondered why we'd adopt a US accounting designation especially if we're moving to IFRS/ASPE while they're not but now I see the name difference, agreed on being a stupid decision. I'm still working on getting my degree part time which will probably take another 4-6 years so by the time I actually decide on a designation maybe it will already be made for me.

Edit: I still find it surprising because of the different specializations that CA/CMA/CGA have.

whatupdet fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 18, 2011

Unlucky Sven
Oct 26, 2004

abagofcheetos posted:

Would something like this look good on a resume? http://cwfphilly.org/

edit: I have no idea if I want to do tax in the future, so assume I am applying to a non-tax accounting position.

B4 always like to see community service in resumes, however is it going to guarantee you a job? No, not even in tax. To recruiters, volunteering shows you as a well rounded person. Ultimately it won't hurt so if you have the time I say do it.

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

whatupdet posted:

I guess I'm surprised because I recall the CA & CMA squashed the idea of the two of them merging not long ago, maybe a year ago? I was also caught off guard by CPA as I wondered why we'd adopt a US accounting designation especially if we're moving to IFRS/ASPE while they're not but now I see the name difference, agreed on being a stupid decision. I'm still working on getting my degree part time which will probably take another 4-6 years so by the time I actually decide on a designation maybe it will already be made for me.

Edit: I still find it surprising because of the different specializations that CA/CMA/CGA have.

Yeah, it went to vote a few years ago and was shot down, but they're making another run at it. I really do think most of the support from partners of big firms is the result of government threatening to increase regulation if the organizations don't streamline self-regulation, which is difficult with three different national bodies and a throng of regional/provincial ones. There are a few other potential benefits of merging but I think they're secondary to the powers that be.

I'm with you on the differentiation issue, which is why I'm mostly concerned about keeping the level of certification rigor up. Not to knock US accountants, but I really prefer the Canadian style of specializing as you study, rather than getting a very broad designation like the US CPA and then specializing after. However, I really don't like some of the acrimony between the brands (I'm really sick of hearing CA colleagues talking about dumbing down the designation by including CMAs - the lack of openmindedness is fairly ironic), and think merging could increase collaboration and efficiency if done well.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Buskas posted:

However, I really don't like some of the acrimony between the brands (I'm really sick of hearing CA colleagues talking about dumbing down the designation by including CMAs - the lack of openmindedness is fairly ironic), and think merging could increase collaboration and efficiency if done well.

The CA designation is orders of magnitude harder to obtain than the CMA. After putting in the hard work, doing some of the hardest professional exams in the world and working 50 hours a week for at least 3 years while you only get paid for 37.5, would you like your designation to be diluted and merged with others who didn't go through the same process?

I personally put in all this hard work to be differentiated from those who did not or could not perform at the same level as me. As it stands it's an insult to me that the old partners that already cashed in on the designation are all for loving me over. Frankly the only people I see benefiting from this merger are CMAs in industry who want to make as much money as CAs do without having gone through the same level of training or hardships.

Sure over time it doesn't matter as your skill and experience is what makes you but for a young person like me, this just means it will take more time for me to differentiate myself. Where's the incentive in working hard and putting in the hours if a group that doesn't represent your interests can gently caress you over like this?

Buskas
Aug 31, 2004
?

Aqualung posted:

The CA designation is orders of magnitude harder to obtain than the CMA. After putting in the hard work, doing some of the hardest professional exams in the world and working 50 hours a week for at least 3 years while you only get paid for 37.5, would you like your designation to be diluted and merged with others who didn't go through the same process?

I personally put in all this hard work to be differentiated from those who did not or could not perform at the same level as me. As it stands it's an insult to me that the old partners that already cashed in on the designation are all for loving me over. Frankly the only people I see benefiting from this merger are CMAs in industry who want to make as much money as CAs do without having gone through the same level of training or hardships.

Sure over time it doesn't matter as your skill and experience is what makes you but for a young person like me, this just means it will take more time for me to differentiate myself. Where's the incentive in working hard and putting in the hours if a group that doesn't represent your interests can gently caress you over like this?

This is exactly the kind of childish nonsense you hear all over the place, mostly from people who haven't done their research and have a knee-jerk response to the talks.

If it took place under the current plan, all current CAs and CMAs would retain their titles for ten years before they were completely eliminated. If after ten years you're still relying on the letters behind your name to get a job rather than what's on your resume, you have bigger problems.

Additionally, anyone competent company hiring an accountant is able to differentiate the skill-sets of someone who had four years of public accounting experience at a Big 4 firm from someone who earned their CMA while working for a single company. Companies will hire to fill positions accordingly.

And newsflash, rear end in a top hat, plenty of CMAs & CGAs put in just as much work as you and are as or more competent in their chosen field, and plenty of CAs are morons who might have worked hard enough to pass the UFE but don't necessarily have much to offer because of it.

So to answer your questions, no, I don't worry about dilution, because I differentiate myself through my experience and work ethic, and the incentive to work hard comes from the desire to learn and stand out (and the fact that I know I'm not being hosed over - assuming a merger is done correctly). Getting the CA is a great accomplishment that will stay on your resume for your entire life, but passing the UFE is a small piece in a much bigger puzzle and relying on the letters for your professional livelihood is foolish.

Buskas fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 19, 2011

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Buskas posted:

This is exactly the kind of childish nonsense you hear all over the place, mostly from people who haven't done their research and have a knee-jerk response to the talks.

If it took place under the current plan, all current CAs and CMAs would retain their titles for ten years before they were completely eliminated. If after ten years you're still relying on the letters behind your name to get a job rather than what's on your resume, you have bigger problems.

Oh I know the 10 year rule but I also know that HR people can barely read, never mind understand what the difference is between designations when they all seem to look the same.

Buskas posted:

Additionally, anyone competent company hiring an accountant is able to differentiate the skill-sets of someone who had four years of public accounting experience at a Big 4 firm from someone who earned their CMA while working for a single company. Companies will hire to fill positions accordingly.

Like I mentioned in my post, I know that ultimately your experience and skill matter more than anything, but I'm a young guy who would still rely heavily on the designation to get further in my career and get that experience and skill required to advance even further.

Buskas posted:

And newsflash, rear end in a top hat, plenty of CMAs & CGAs put in just as much work as you and are as or more competent in their chosen field, and plenty of CAs are morons who might have worked hard enough to pass the UFE but don't necessarily have much to offer because of it.

You do realize this statement is retarded? On average a CA is able to add more to a business than a CGA or CMA - the fact that individual CGAs or CMAs may also be very competent and that there are dumbshit CAs is not shocking. There is a reason why CAs, on average, are paid much more than the rest.

Buskas posted:

So to answer your questions, no, I don't worry about dilution, because I differentiate myself through my experience and work ethic, and the incentive to work hard comes from the desire to learn and stand out (and the fact that I know I'm not being hosed over - assuming a merger is done correctly). Getting the CA is a great accomplishment that will stay on your resume for your entire life, but passing the UFE is a small piece in a much bigger puzzle and relying on the letters for your professional livelihood is foolish.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not looking to rely on my letters my whole life, just for a few more years until my experience can be impressive enough to distinguish myself even further. Why should I simply accept that they want to take that away from me after I've invested so much time, effort and money into this?

Aqualung fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 19, 2011

Creel
Jun 6, 2011
I recently got a job but it's not really what I want. I want to change jobs, but I don't want to make any enemies by leaving so soon. The position I have isn't what I wanted, it's a highly specialized position that has no use outside of the Bank I work for($35,000/yr).
I may have an opportunity being an Assistant Controller for a machined parts manufacturer ($45,000/yr)and I want to go for it, but I'd hate to quit my job after just 4 months, the employer is HUGE in the community and I can just see every interview for the rest of my life "Oh wow, you worked at Bank XXXX, why did you leave so soon?"

Should I suck it up and just work for a year or so then head out or should I go now?

for reference: I've got 3 years as a bookkeeper for a law firm and have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. Studying for the CPA Exam and will take it in the summer time (Need 3 more credit hours in the spring time to be eligible).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If nothing else, applying for that job will give you an idea of your marketability and improve interview skills.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Creel posted:

I'd hate to quit my job after just 4 months, the employer is HUGE in the community and I can just see every interview for the rest of my life "Oh wow, you worked at Bank XXXX, why did you leave so soon?"

Should I suck it up and just work for a year or so then head out or should I go now?

First, don't quit your current job until a job as controller (and not some lesser thing!) is secure with that other company. Make sure to give at least 2 weeks notice to the bank.

No one is going to fault you for following your professional goals and dreams. Just tell the truth (in this case) if someone asks: You enjoyed your time at Bank xXx, but the controllership was much more in line with your goals and gave you more opportunities to exercise and expand your professional skills.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER
Most young CAs/ CA students who bitch the hardest about the merger are people who:

• came in bottom of the pack in university and haven't gotten over it;
  • got their designation working at a small firm with 40- hours and don't have name-brand employment to back them up in a job hunt;
  • are afraid/ unable to differentiate themselves based on work they've done; and/or
  • are really bitter about their first 3 years out of school, and can't cope except by passing on the pain.

There are recent CAs at my firm who don't know what compound interest is. People who can't do more than A1+B2 in excel. Talk to clients like they're their children/parents/enemies. Spend 10 hours completing 5 page file summary memos. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But damned if they can't count inventory or look up 1 sentence references in the CICA handbook!

Don't let your designation define you. People with talent who really and truly earned their letters will still be in demand, and if a CMA-style-trained CPA applies for the same job as you and gets it, then how is that unfair? (Also, that can't even hypothetically happen for 10 years, so save the whining for later.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Creel posted:

I recently got a job but it's not really what I want. I want to change jobs, but I don't want to make any enemies by leaving so soon. The position I have isn't what I wanted, it's a highly specialized position that has no use outside of the Bank I work for($35,000/yr).
I may have an opportunity being an Assistant Controller for a machined parts manufacturer ($45,000/yr)and I want to go for it, but I'd hate to quit my job after just 4 months, the employer is HUGE in the community and I can just see every interview for the rest of my life "Oh wow, you worked at Bank XXXX, why did you leave so soon?"

for reference: I've got 3 years as a bookkeeper for a law firm and have a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting. Studying for the CPA Exam and will take it in the summer time (Need 3 more credit hours in the spring time to be eligible).

I am not advocating that you make one decision or the other, but I would just caution you against making a move simply because you think the Asst. Controller position is a better job. It very well could be, but make sure it is something you could see yourself doing. Depending on the size of the company, Asst. Controller could just be a glorified Accounting Manager role where there are lots of journal entries and cost/managerial accounting, particularly because it is a manufacturing company. Cost/managerial accounting isn't for everyone so I'd just make sure it is something you could see yourself doing. You could always stick with your current job and work towards certification, after which you'll probably have even more opportunities. That being said, if you do think this other job is the right fit for you, I think RedTonic gave solid advice as to how to handle it - at the end of the day it's your life and your career and you should do what's best for you (as long as you handle things properly).