Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass
As promised, here is the dyno chart for the GT500. For comparison, I've also posted the chart from my 2003 Z06 which I used for road racing. It had long tube headers, a dyno tune, intake, exhaust, etc. It's hilarious to see the difference in the torque curves.

2012 GT500, Supercharged 5.4L

2003 Z06, NA 5.7L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

That's just nutty. 400 ft-lbs at 2500 RPM is sorta mind blowing. I can't wait to see what's going to come out of the 5.8 in 2013.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

OrganizedEntropy posted:

As promised, here is the dyno chart for the GT500.

More like GT477 am I right, Clarkson?! Eh? Eh?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

frozenphil posted:

More like GT477 am I right, Clarkson?! Eh? Eh?

Didn't Hammond do that joke? :confused:

It all makes sense, now.

alextide32
Nov 10, 2010

The Flying Lobster
Gotta say I've never been a huge Mustang fan but I was out car shopping the other day and wound up with this bad boy.

2011 Mustang GT/CS

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
side scoops look a little silly but other than that you dont have much left to do to it. Maybe get some of these down the road

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/SVE-1007DE/2005-12-Mustang-Flat-Black-SVE-Drift-19X95

or some of the RTRs...

oh and corsa exhaust of course.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

alextide32 posted:

Gotta say I've never been a huge Mustang fan but I was out car shopping the other day and wound up with this bad boy.

2011 Mustang GT/CS

I should be getting commission on this poo poo.

Ninja Edit: Congrats!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

coolskillrex remix posted:

side scoops look a little silly but other than that you dont have much left to do to it.

I think they look ok. It is part of the CS look that Ford needs to deliver on, too.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I love the look of the CS, but hate that it's exclusive from the Brembo Package.

The ETA on mine is Monday. I can hardly wait.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

BDawg posted:

I love the look of the CS, but hate that it's exclusive from the Brembo Package.

I hate the grill and the fog lights on the base GT are so badass in terms of lighting up the road. I honestly can't imagine that those tiny little things that are pushed out way to the side of the bumper work as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Tasca Cobra Jet running an 8.065 @ 170 mph.
http://youtu.be/4CxhzWhXc3U

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
Can you explain how that shifter works? Is he just moving it back and forth to shift gears? What does the button on the top do?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

oRenj9 posted:

Can you explain how that shifter works? Is he just moving it back and forth to shift gears? What does the button on the top do?

I believe it's a brake line lock so he can activate the front brakes only and spin the back wheels.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I can't believe how cheap the new 5.0 is aftermarket. Even with computer and wiring harness you can get setup for under 10K. I need to find a 2005 with a blown motor or I could go the comedy route and put it in my $500 F150.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Make sure you get the extra insurance!

BurgerPimp
Jul 10, 2010

BurgerPimp fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 8, 2011

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
This weekend, I took delivery of my 2012 Brembo. My dad brought his car over and we drove around and took pictures.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Guess who just bought an '82 Cobra? This Guy! Paid 400 bucks (delivered) has 138000 km. This is going to eventually become our Lemons/chumpcar racer.

The plan is to strip it out, do what we have to to make it more reliable, and maybe tease out a few more horses., seeing as how it only has 145 of them.

More importantly, are there any easy brake upgrades? I'd feel a lot more comfortable driving this thing with bigger brakes =\

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Guess who just bought an '82 Cobra? This Guy! Paid 400 bucks (delivered) has 138000 km. This is going to eventually become our Lemons/chumpcar racer.

The plan is to strip it out, do what we have to to make it more reliable, and maybe tease out a few more horses., seeing as how it only has 145 of them.

More importantly, are there any easy brake upgrades? I'd feel a lot more comfortable driving this thing with bigger brakes =\

Basically every brake setup on a Mustang up till 2005 will bolt up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
That paint :psyduck: Why isn't the car painted orange to match the peel?

How is that acceptable from the factory? :smith:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I see you've never paid less than $50k for a car, how fortunate for you!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

I wonder how much extra it would cost in the end to get a good paint job on that scale. I realize Ford isn't really building luxury cars or anything, but the original paint on my '87 Fiat is flatter than that.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
I'm going to do a big writeup since the car is finally alive but I finally broke the 9's with the car. There's still lots of little bugs to work out but it ran a 9.81 @ 138.50 mph up at Great Lakes Dragaway (Union Grove, WI). They weren't even prepping the track and the car hooked and ran amazing. There's still lots of little kinks that need to be ironed out but it was one of the best feelings in the world to finally see that single digit.

Also, it ran out of gear a little after the 1000' mark if I had to guess, I could still see the boards and was already shutting down since it was about to bounce off the rev limiter. There was a hell of a lot more in it. I'll put more once I organize a solid post. I have videos and stuff but here's a photo of one of the launches. That's coming out at 4,000 RPM. The bored .030 out 281 stroker takes a while to build boost and turn that F1-A but when it does :zerg:. I don't even think it's pushing even half of the boost at launch. Never looked at the gauge though.

edit:

Here's a video of a launch running in the 10s. There was a piece of tape in front of the intake that wasn't seen for a couple passes that was really killing the power.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rpaymaster?feature=mhee#p/a/u/2/ZQJogm3K1-8

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 8, 2011

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

BOOYAH!
loving awesome, duder!
sza is still quicker by like 2 hundredths, lol
Edit: looking at the slip, that is a lazy bitch out of the hole. You need to talk with Neal Chance...

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 8, 2011

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

frozenphil posted:

BOOYAH!
loving awesome, duder!
sza is still quicker by like 2 hundredths, lol
Edit: looking at the slip, that is a lazy bitch out of the hole. You need to talk with Neal Chance...

Thanks!

Yeah, not entirely sure if it's going to get too much better out of the hole. Maybe there's some slipping but it sure doesn't feel or look like it in the video. There's also a really high possibility I shifted first short but I doubt it. Going to have to hook up the tach to see my shift points. That was also the only 9 second run the car would let me do unfortunately. :( It's stalling really bad between runs. On top of it they asked to see my competition license which I don't have since I didn't bring my physical and papers. Never thought I'd be running that fast. They would have let me keep running and I made one last pass but the car wasn't cooperating so it wasn't a great one.

As far as torque converter goes I'm pretty sure he put the best Turbo 400 / Converter setup J.W. Performance Transmission had. If need be I'll change it later for sure. I think a lot of this is still driver error.

Tim is going to have it back in a few weeks to give it another tune, fix the bend in the piping before the MAF (probably stalling issue), and I have a taller tire for it. It has 28" MT E/T Streets right now but I have brand new Goodyear slicks (28"). Apparently they measure closer to 30 whereas the E/T Streets are smaller. Not to mention I'm not even running real slicks at the moment. This may fix the gearing issue.

I threw a video up. My channel has more of them. Camera man wasn't exactly pro on it because he was more concerned with watching the car. Heh.

edit: I'll catch up to sza once it has enough gearing for the entire 1/4. ;)

Also, the F1-A still has about 18 pounds of boost left in her if I need it. Pushing right around 20 at the max right now.

I could probably fix any specific issue with this if I needed to. It's just sitting in the basement:

:)

Seems literally like the definition of automotive insanity if I ever actually used it. Car doesn't need it but part of me still wants to hook it all up anyways.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 8, 2011

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink

ratbert90 posted:

Why is everyone talking about fuckin "orange peel" these days, as if it isnt on almost every single car?
Its not exclusive to <$40k cars either ... here suck on this:

AtomicBomber fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 8, 2011

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I wish my Kona Blue had less orange peel, especially on the doors. It really dulls the reflectivity. Still, I think this BMW M3 has it worse:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/bmw%20orange%20peel/therock3600/OrangePeel2.jpg

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Don't feel too bad... EVERYONE gets lazy sometimes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Good god. I spent 5 hours wetsanding my car to make it super reflective. That was 1 person, alone, with 2000 grit sandpaper in my garage.

Those pictures are horrible, and those are from car companies. If one person can wetsand an entire car by themselves in 5 hours, surely a car company could come up with a much MUCH faster process.

frozenphil posted:

I see you've never paid less than $50k for a car, how fortunate for you!

No, I buy cars with clear coat and wetsand them. :)

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

No, I buy cars with clear coat and wetsand them. :)

I do the exact same but because everything I have is used. It's like a fresh start. It does take a long time though. I have no idea how you're wet sanding then buffing it all out in 5 hours. It takes me 5 hours to just use wool and foam pads in stages (minimum)!

That M3 photo is atrocious though. My E46 has very little orange peel but now that I think about it the fender area is by far the worse off the top of my head.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

oRenj9 posted:

On an automatic car it's a trans brake which sends a current to a solenoid attached to the transmission and it makes first and reverse lock each other up so the car doesn't roll out and you can rev it to your desired launch RPM. When it's go time you just let go.

On the Liberty's Gears 5-Speed that's probably a line lock? I have no idea why he's pressing it. I never went with the Liberty. I'd go with it being a line lock because it looks like he's still running the clutch setup. As far as the transmission goes it leaves zero driver error for missing shifts. It has gates and every time you pull or push it's a gear. There are also clutchless setups where you just hammer the gears without a clutch.

It's certainly the only way to go if you're running a fast car with a manual. A conventional stick is going to cost you a zillion dollars to build and maintain. Not to mention all the room for mess ups.

VibrioCholera fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Nov 8, 2011

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Who cares what a car looks like all that matters is how fast it can go 1/4 of a mile once! Get back on topic this is mustang muscleshirt megathread. Start sending connecting rods through blocks already.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

VibrioCholera posted:

It's certainly the only way to go if you're running a fast car with a manual. A conventional stick is going to cost you a zillion dollars to build and maintain. Not to mention all the room for mess ups.

A sorted Liberty isn't exactly cheap either, though. ;)

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
So nice to post pictures of your new car and get comments nearly 3 weeks later about how bad the paint is... thanks, guys!

Maybe I don't see it, but it looks like the bad orange peel is on the Porsche.

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003

BDawg posted:

So nice to post pictures of your new car and get comments nearly 3 weeks later about how bad the paint is... thanks, guys!

I like your car still. :3: :) I also had no idea there was a Brembo edition. I thought it was the typical models + California.

Also, I'd be happy with orange peel. Specific Fords (mainly white SN-95 Cobras and most of the white Police Interceptors) loved to just shed paint off in pancake sized sheets. Go to early 90's and find an Aerostar that isn't a brick of rust. I swear those things rust in Florida too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VibrioCholera posted:

I do the exact same but because everything I have is used. It's like a fresh start. It does take a long time though. I have no idea how you're wet sanding then buffing it all out in 5 hours. It takes me 5 hours to just use wool and foam pads in stages (minimum)!

That M3 photo is atrocious though. My E46 has very little orange peel but now that I think about it the fender area is by far the worse off the top of my head.

Do it for 5 years in your off time and it gets faster. And everything I buy is also used, I hate buying new.

Although a new SHO or 5.0 is on the dream list. :unsmith:

BDawg posted:

That Porsche is worse, and your Mustang IS awesome. I just want you to have the best. :colbert:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

VibrioCholera posted:

I like your car still. :3: :) I also had no idea there was a Brembo edition. I thought it was the typical models + California.

It's not really a Brembo edition, just an upgrade package you can order on the standard GT. Though technically, that's true of the GT/CS as well.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Q_res posted:

It's not really a Brembo edition, just an upgrade package you can order on the standard GT. Though technically, that's true of the GT/CS as well.

The bastards made it manual only, though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

frozenphil posted:

The bastards made it manual only, though.

Not a problem for those of us with Hand-Eye coordination. :smug:

I kid, I kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomicBomber
Aug 13, 2005

oink
Speaking of quality control, Ford has released a response to the MT82 investigation.
I shamelessly ripped this from another forum, but here is the important part:

"As a result of Ford's monitoring of these customer concerns, observations by dealer service personnel and Fords Field service personnel, and vehicle inpections we have concluded that the reports generally relate to customer unfamiliarity with the performance style shifter with its nerrow gates, the skip-shift feature, vehicle modifications, and vehicle abuse." (2nd page 2nd paragraph)

Pretty much my personal experience with the MT82 as well... once I got used to the close gates, everything was smoooooth.

They also actually mention forum hype as a factor in the amount of problem reports.
I am glad they finally decided to defend themselves after taking it up the rear end for so long.

God I hate the mustang community sometimes.